Diana's Friends, Lovers and Bodyguards

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How can you possibly know that she would care?
You see? We all have our impressions, and without knowing someone personally, that is what we have to go by.

I'm basing my opinion on what happened with Hewitt, Gilbey, and others.
Once she had ended the relationship, she totally cut people off.
That happened not only with lovers but also with former friends like Fergie.
Diana dropped them and that was that.

In all the biographies I have, I think the description that Diana "froze them out" is the most used. Cross Diana and you were frozen out as if you didn't exist. It was the same for everyone that Diana felt were no longer trustworthy. With a relationship, once it was over, it was over and done with and she moved on. This isn't to say that she also "kissed and made up" with friends she had frozen out but this was her typical MO.

I do think Diana had a lot of trust issues with people and considering what she was going through at the time, its understandable.

As far as Dodi was concerned, by the time of the last vacation, Dodi was free as a bird with no ties to anyone. Kelly Fisher though had headed back to Los Angeles and started a breach of contract lawsuit against Dodi. Dodi and the Al-Fayeds and their vacation invitation came along at an opportune time for Diana. It got her out of the country with a measure of privacy guaranteed. I just can't fathom that the relationship was anywhere near serious at the time as they had basically just gone through the "nice to meet you" stage. A summertime fling on the open seas sounds more apt than dreams of love and marriage. :D

Last edited:
How I'm basing my opinion on what happened with Hewitt, Gilbey, and others.
Once she had ended the relationship, she totally cut people off.
That happened not only with lovers but also with former friends like Fergie.
Diana dropped them and that was that.

I don't remember her breaking up with Gilbey so I'm not sure what you mean. As for JH, he behaved terribly, and I can't imagine why anyone would think she should remain friendly with him. In addition, MOST people when they break up iwht a lover, don't see much of them.. unless they are part of a circle of friends. Why would you go on seeing an ex lover?
As for Fergie, she and Diana had a row. A silly one, but it was a row and again, people DO tend to stop seeing someone once they have had a row with them...
But there's a difference anyway between "not seeing someone" and "acting like they never existed". I don't believe she was that "psychopathic". She might not want to se an ex boyfriend, or friend but I don't believe she was "acting like they were NOTHING..."
She and Khan had more than one break up, they had arguments but would get back together, because they loved each other.. and would make up their arguments.. but in the end, his refusal to go public was bound to end the relationship. However I would not have been surprised, from what I've learned of Dodi, that perhaps after finishing with him, she might not have taken Hasnat K back again, at least for a bit.. since he was a much nicer person..
It wouldn't have solved the problems in their relationship of their different cultures and social postions, but I think that she still cared for him and he for her...

Last edited:
In all the biographies I have, I think the description that Diana "froze them out" is the most used. Cross Diana and you were frozen out as if you didn't exist. It was the same for everyone that Diana felt were no longer trustworthy. With a relationship, once it was over, it was over and done with and she moved on. This isn't to say that she also "kissed and made up" with friends she had frozen out but this was her typical MO.

I do think Diana had a lot of trust issues with people and considering what she was going through at the time, its understandable.

Asand marriage. :D
well if you quarrel with someone, (foolishly or otherwise) you DONT want to see them again. She did make up friendships at times, but I can understand, in her life, it was so hard to be sure if you could trust people... that if she felt that she'd been let down badly, she wasn't sure if she should give people a second chance. She had a row with Rosa Monckton, and got back with her, when Rosa lost a baby.. She was on bad terms with Raine Spencer, and later developed a friendship with her..

But there's a difference anyway between "not seeing someone" and "acting like they never existed". I don't believe she was that "psychopathic". She might not want to se an ex boyfriend, or friend but I don't believe she was "acting like they were NOTHING..."

We'll have to agree to disagree.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

well I'm not sure what you mean.. I mean one might quarrel with someone say "he's dead to me" (NOT meaning it literally).. and perhaps walk past him in the street.. and not speak. But Its not clear if you mean that or something more than that. I meaen I might have a row with someone, blank him if we met, but if he collapsed, in front of me..or had a bereavement, i'd at least make a small gesture of support or rush to help...

In As far as Dodi was concerned, by the time of the last vacation, Dodi was free as a bird with no ties to anyone. Kelly Fisher though had headed back to Los Angeles and started a breach of contract lawsuit against Dodi. marriage. :D
If I were Diana I wouldn't care that she'd split with him, i'd feel very uneasy that he had been involved with another woman, been at least semi engaged to her.. So I feel that if Diana "ignored it", either she was very much into Dodi, or she was just having some fun with him and it didn't matter that he had another woman very recently...

If I were Diana I wouldn't care that she'd split with him, i'd feel very uneasy that he had been involved with another woman, been at least semi engaged to her.. So I feel that if Diana "ignored it", either she was very much into Dodi, or she was just having some fun with him and it didn't matter that he had another woman very recently...

Or... there is the distinct possibility that Diana didn't have a clue that Kelly even existed in the first place. What Daddy wanted, Dodi did and to woo Diana was Daddy's wish for Dodi to do. By this article, it states that Kelly was engaged to Dodi, they'd bought a mansion for a marital home and the date was tentatively set for August 9, 1997. It seems like Dodi was living a double life at the time and neither Diana or Kelly knew of the other's existence as far as Dodi's whereabouts were concerned.

From the article: Kelly thought Dodi’s demanding father was taking up his son’s time. It amazes me how long it took her to catch on that her fiancé was having an affair. On August 10, 1997, the paparazzi snapshot that became known as “The Kiss” appeared in the Sunday Mirror. The picture left no doubt that Dodi and Diana were romantically involved. Kelly was toast. She must have known that she was no match for the Princess of Wales, and she hotfooted it back to Hollywood, where she immediately hired the well-known Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred to file a breach-of-contract suit against Dodi.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/05/dunne200805

So, I think its very possible that Diana really didn't know a thing about Kelly at all and to me, it shows how dominant Daddy Al-Fayed was in Dodi's life and how easily he could turn on the charm and disregard any commitment he'd already made to another because Daddy told him to woo Diana.

Basically, its my opinion that the "love affair" and the deep abiding love that Dodi and Diana felt for each other and that they were about to become engaged and live happily ever after were dreams and fantasies in Daddy Al-Fayed's mind as that is what *he* wanted to happen. Diana, at the time, was just another piece on the chessboard to get what he wanted.

well obviously a lot of the love affair was conjured up by MAK...
but there was something. They were dating, possibly sleeping together.
I don't think that Diana would have had a fling with him without some genuine feeling but I think the more she saw of him, she began to find a lot of his ways irritating and was not at all sure she wanted the fling to turn inot a serious affair or marriage.
But I'm a bit bewildered about Kelly. if they were planning on a wedding at 9 AUgust why wasn't she on the phone to him all the time saying "what about the wedding arrangements?"
Was this marrage on 9 August idea mostly HER keeping on hoping he would marry her? I thought that I'd read somewhere that Kelly had said that "Dodi was seeing Diana on the yacht and then going and making love to HER (Kelly) in between times".. so she must have known that he was seeing Diana... and problaby then she did realise that her relationship with him whatever it was, engagement or affair, was NOT going to progress further, because his father would be insisting that he pay court to the Princess.

Ive come to the end of this thread about Diana's flatmates becasue I was hoping for some news about the letters that Carolyn Bartholomew auctioned off in September 2017. The media did not cover it in a big way, surprisngly considering their contents and date range, and I wondered if we ever found out how much they went for and who bought them? I imagine they must have gone to a private buyer as the contents didnt get into the papers? The little bits of them I read from the auction house were insightful and lovely.

I think you're correct, Lady R, and the collection went to a private collector who wished to remain anonymous. I guess perhaps a little paragraph about how much they went for might pop up on the Paul Fraser Collectibles site in the future, as other Royal memorabilia has.

Was shocking is that people forgive the fact that Diana had multiple affairs and some with married men but still can't forgive Charles. Hypocrisy at its finest.

She had "multiple affairs" because she was still sowing her wild oats. Charles had "multiple affairs" too when he was younger.

She had "multiple affairs" because she was still sowing her wild oats. Charles had "multiple affairs" too when he was younger.

She didn't seem to think about the wife of the married men she was having an affair with.

What it really all boils down to is that with Diana's spin on things and "going public", emphasis was put on what Diana wanted to present rather than the cold, hard facts. When someone hoodwinks the media into presenting the poor, victimized wife, a lot of what was "real" didn't get equal billing.

The media of course was going to side with Diana. They knew a cash cow when they saw one. Charles, for the most part, didn't join in the media game and kept his counsel. I have to admire the man for that.

Diana was not perfect at all and neither was Charles so with all the books written and magazines for sale, nothing is going to change any facts or even the gossip. Diana can be bashed and bad mouthed till the end of time and the same with anyone else in that triangle of webs and lies, again nothing will change so why continue to bash her or Charles, life goes on and maybe there should be some sort of peace regarding her and Charles for after all aren't there 2 wonderful boys that are still remembering their mother. They for sure are not blind and dumb to what is being written or said about both parents. Bet they would love to have some peace over their parents, both of them. JMHO here!

I agree M Payton..I’ve often thought the motivation behind Heads Together was for their own sanity somehow and also perhaps, although unspoken, acknowledging their mother. jMO

I agree M Payton..I’ve often thought the motivation behind Heads Together was for their own sanity somehow and also perhaps, although unspoken, acknowledging their mother. jMO

I have thought the same about the *Heads Together* for it is for the mentality ill and emotional problems that life brings to each of us, some more then others. This foundation of the 3 of them, Heads Together is one really great help in bringing this type of illness to the front pages of life for everyone. I, in looking back realize how very difficult it must of been for both the boys to go through their mother's passing even with family around for there are times when the grief and sadness can be overwhelming and consuming. I really applaud what they are doing and making sure it continues to this day. Emotional problems can be devastating and rob a person of the joys of life if not recognized and taken care of and with Harry taking care of his emotional needs which says how mature and strong he is, that says a lot about this young man and what the foundation is trying to do.

It was more than a triangle though. The fourth corner just changed periodically. I think it was a complicated situation.

Yes I understand that and even if there are 4 corners or 5 or 6, it is still the same issue only more complicated. What happened then is done and over with, can't change the past yet there seems to a never ending story by some to keep it alive and well with whatever assumptions, innuendoes, gossip, lies, rumors and stories to be told all for whatever reason. I would not be surprised if some one comes up with some silly story of some thing that is so far out and many will believe it just for the sake of thinking there is something new to be told...:bang:

It is William and Harry that have to live with it each and every day of their lives for the rest of their lives.....not me or anyone else in this world, but them and that is the sad part for they seem to be working towards that goal of peace with the Heads Together Foundation yet some still live in the past and can't move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, this thread is specifically here to discuss Diana's friends and lovers and its been an ongoing thread since 2006. The fact remains that Diana did have several lovers and affairs that encompassed the miserable years of her marriage. Its not about William and Harry nor is it about Heads Together. Its a place to discuss Diana and the people she was involved with. ;)

Okay sis, got ya, sorry for being off topic here. ?

She didn't seem to think about the wife of the married men she was having an affair with.

Nor did Charles problaby worry about the husbands of his married mistresses. I don't think it was wise of her but at her age of mid 30s, the odds were that most men she would meet would already be married or in relationships. But if she hadn't foolishly made her marital problems public, she could have quietly had boyfriends...
I tink that when she wanted to, she could be very discreet and kept her affairs quiet but for example with Oliver Hoare, she ddi keep that one quiet.. until she foolishly chased him with phone calls.

Nor did Charles problaby worry about the husbands of his married mistresses. I don't think it was wise of her but at her age of mid 30s, the odds were that most men she would meet would already be married or in relationships. But if she hadn't foolishly made her marital problems public, she could have quietly had boyfriends...
I tink that when she wanted to, she could be very discreet and kept her affairs quiet but for example with Oliver Hoare, she ddi keep that one quiet.. until she foolishly chased him with phone calls.

They were both wrong to go after people who were married. Its so wrong.

That is what is called a blanket statement. One of the reasons for the different threads on Diana is to really know and explore this woman who had so many facets to her.

If you get into reading all of the different threads, you'll discover reasons for why things happened as they did. People have really delved into the persona that was Diana, Princess of Wales. Her character makeup. Her strengths and her weaknesses and, with this thread, the people that were close to her in her life. People are complex human beings and Diana was no different. The public Diana is a far different person from the Diana in private.

One thing we don't do and the moderators specifically ask us not to do is play the blame game or really go into discussing the Charles/Diana/Camilla triangle. There are threads for Charles. There are threads for Camilla and there is a thread for Charles and Diana and a thread for Charles and Camilla to discuss these couples and persons. Opinions tend to get heated and it detracts from intelligent and informative discussion on the person that was Diana.

Maybe you'll get hooked like I did, Kitty. Since joining here and becoming part of the discussions, I've come to see Diana in a totally different light than I did before I arrived here. I think out of all the books that I own on different persons, I have the most on Diana. Charles is a close second. :D

Last edited:
They were both wrong to go after people who were married. Its so wrong.

They didn't "go after people who were married." They flel in love or were attracted to people who were married. and at Diana's age, when her marriage finally went to pieces, the odds were that most men she would meet were already married or in relationships. But she had never had a chance to sow her wild oats because she had married so young and was a virgin. so I think its quite understandable that she fell for men who were already involved with people..Her big mistake was in having made such a drama about her own husband having an affair because it tehn looked like she was a hyporcirtie for getting involved in affairs with married men.

To be honest, I'd have to say that whomever Diana was in love with at the time was the greatest love of her life until it fizzled out for one reason or the other. :D

well isn't that true of everyone? Unless a relationship lasts a long time, or at times is cut tragically short, then the "great love" is the person you are with.

Visiting the Aristocrats

When Diana was Princess of Wales, which houses of the noble families did she visit?

Considering her and Charles would have socialized with much of the aristocracy, probably many of the homes.

Lochmore Lodge, a former home of the duke of Westminster. Diana was one of many royals to visit there over the decades.

Prince William's godfather selling 15 bedroom Highland mansion for £450,000: Stunning lochside property once the social playground of Charles and Diana, Coco Chanel and Churchill | Daily Mail Online

Syon house, the London base for the Duke of Northumberland hosted a number of events she attended. Including a Spanish-British dinner in 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syon_House

Her and Charles spent part of their honeymoon at Broadlands. It had been the home of his Great Uncle Louis Mountbatten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadlands

She attended polo matches with Charles at Cirenchester which is on the estate of Earl of Bathurst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirencester_Park_(country_house)
http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...s-photo/52117839?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom