Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duchess Sophie

Courtier
City
On the border...
Country
Belgium
I'm looking for a picture of Diana at the Braemar Games (I don't know which year) where she weares a tartan dress and a tartan hat with a huge feather.

But of course you may post other pictures of Diana at the Braemar games. ;)

royal-sophietje,

Diana wore a greyish blue and white plaid button-down dress at the 1989 games - is this what you mean? The hat had a very long, sleek-looking feather, as opposed to a big fluffy wide one.

In 1988 (?) she wore a black watch tartan dress w/wide white lace collar and black bow, and black wide brimmed hat.

At the 1987 games she wore a wine/burgundy and navy black double-breasted two piece outfit, with a tam w/a slender feather on it.

For 1986 she wore the hot pink jacket, white and black button down blouse and yellow and pink plaid skirt, outfit by Laurel.

1982 she wore a moss green and mustard check dress with white collar.

1981 she wore a wine and black plaid dress w/mandarin collar and velvet tam.

I believe she skipped 1984 because she was close to the birth of Harry.

Originally posted by Lady Jean@Feb 17th, 2004 - 4:21 pm
royal-sophietje,

Diana wore a greyish blue and white plaid button-down dress at either the 1988 or 1989 games - is this what you mean? The hat had a very long, sleek-looking feather, as opposed to a big fluffy wide one.

At the 1987 games she wore a wine and black double-breasted two piece outfit, with a tam w/a slender feather on it.
Well, as long it has some tartan, it can be.

But I was told that the dress I'm looking for is something of purple or red tartan and a hat in the same tartan with a huge feather. Or a little one, I don't know.

Ok, i hope yousee this pic because she probably be delete sone.

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,467
It's not of tartan. It was a scottish tarten dress. The person who wants to picture told me, it was hard to dinf, but she had seen it on the TV... Probably one of the last times she attended Braemar with Charles.

Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Feb 20th, 2004 - 9:08 am
It's not of tartan. It was a scottish tarten dress. The person who wants to picture told me, it was hard to dinf, but she had seen it on the TV... Probably one of the last times she attended Braemar with Charles.
Diana wore this dress and jacket during the 1983 Canadian visit with Prince Charles. It just happened to be her birthday that particular day and they were riding around a stadium (of some sort) in a convertible while people in the stands sang "Happy Birthday". It looked as though she was very surprised and happy.

Elizajane

My friend was pretty sure it were the Braemar Games....

Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Feb 20th, 2004 - 8:08 am
It was a scottish tarten dress. The person who wants to picture told me, it was hard to find, but she had seen it on the TV... Probably one of the last times she attended Braemar with Charles.
I think the her last Braemar appearance was 1989, when she wore the light grey plaid dress with gold buttons down the front. It is very similar in style to the light blue dress she wore when she shook hands with the lepers. Someday I will find a picture of it for you. The hat she wore featured the same tartan as the dress.

Here we go, one for every year except 1984 (when Harry was born) I think that 1989 was the last year that Diana went to the Braemer Games.

Attachments

• 1989 September - Braemer Games.jpg
    1989 September - Braemer Games.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,758
  • 1988 September 1 - B.jpg
    1988 September 1 - B.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 774
  • 1987 September 5 - B  Braemer Games.jpg
    1987 September 5 - B Braemer Games.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 792
  • 1986 September 6 - D.jpg
    1986 September 6 - D.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 739
  • 1985 September 9 - E.jpg
    1985 September 9 - E.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 754
  • 1983 September 3 - C.jpg
    1983 September 3 - C.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,548
  • 1982 September 4 - BB.jpg
    1982 September 4 - BB.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 696
  • 1981 September 5 -  tartan.jpg
    1981 September 5 - tartan.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 875
Oops! Sorry!! Wrong picture, here is 1987.

Attachments

• 1987 September 5 - A.jpg
    1987 September 5 - A.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 831
So lovely.Thanks for pics.I'm not sure but in some photos the Princess looked a little bit sad though.

Last edited:
Sammy said:
Oops! Sorry!! Wrong picture, here is 1987.

she worn this outfit twice in 1985 & 1987 it was the latter she worn the beret/bonnet with the extending feather I LOVE that hat as well as that outfit. But I must say I loved her rust/brown/black coloured tartan outfit for her first time there in 1981

Diana at Ascot

It's Ascot week. What better time to start a thread on -- what else? -- Diana at Ascot.

To start things off, here she is on her very first appearance, June 16, 1981, during the engagement.

imgrove0195.jpg

Photo: Rex Features

AG9D6C.jpg

Photo: Bob Thomas/Alamy

Photo: Tim Graham/Getty Images

Last edited:
Day 2 or day 3 of Ascot, 1981 (I find conflicting dates for these 2 days -- anybody know which was Wed. and which Thurs?)

Photos: 1. Anwar Hussein; 2. Bob Thomas/Alamy

I remember seeing photos of this outfit at the time and saying how pretty Diana looked. My brother-in-law remarked, "She looks like a clown." I was offended on her behalf, but now, looking back, I gotta agree -- he was right.:p

That was a bad time for fashion. I don't like to remember her in those outfits because they seem made for a much older woman...or fashion impaired. I prefer Diana, the Vamp Years.

Day 2 or day 3 of Ascot, 1981:

Photos: 1.Anwar Hussein; 2.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 3.Bettmann/Corbis/APL

I like the peach outfit. I think she looks classy there.

However, I agree about the red outfit, it definitely was NOT her best!!

I wonder if people could contribute pictures of their favorite Diana Ascot outfits?? I liked the white dress with gray top coat that she also wore to her brother's wedding.

I will think of others later, I am sure!!

Diana at Ascot, 1981, day 4:

What a hat! Veiling tied under the chin.

Photo: Popperfoto/Alamy
Photo: Bettmann/Corbis/APL
Photo: Tim Graham/Getty Images

Last edited:
Toledo said:
That was a bad time for fashion. I don't like to remember her in those outfits because they seem made for a much older woman...or fashion impaired. I prefer Diana, the Vamp Years.

I don't recall all fashion being bad in the early 80s - this doesn't mean it wasn't, just that I don't recall it :) I do remember thinking she was often dressed oddly though. She wore a lot of frills and huge collars, and I don't remember anyone else wearing such things at the time.

umbrellagirl said:
Day 2 or day 3 of Ascot, 1981 (I find conflicting dates for these 2 days -- anybody know which was Wed. and which Thurs?)
I know, I know! I looooved the red outfit. Now I still like the colors, but it seems like a getup or a costume now, instead of an outfit.

Sadly the same can be said for a lot of my other favorites on this page and from the early years in general. I thought they were just beautiful then, but they have not withstood the test of time. Also, Diana was so pretty and fresh in those early years, the later vampish clothing and look seems so hard-edged to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ascot, June 15, 1982. This was just six days before Diana gave birth to William.

Photo: Tim Graham/Corbis/APL

umbrellagirl said:

I believe the peachy coloured outfit is June 17th and the red one is June 18th.:)

Thanks for the dates, Squidgy.

In 1983, Diana did not attend Ascot because she and Charles were in Canada that week.

In 1984, she was pregnant again.

Photos: Walking, Jayne and Terry Fincher in Debrett's Illustrated Fashion Guide; in carriage, Tim Graham/Getty Images

Ascot, 1985.
On June 18, Diana wore the elegant black-and-white suit she had worn previously in Rome, but with a different hat. I like this broad-brimmed one much better than the "fez" she wore before.

Photos: Full-length, Syndication International; in carriage, Jayne Fincher (Both in Majesty magazine, Aug. 1985)

June 20, 1985.
Diana wore the same 2-piece salmon outfit she wore the year before when she was pregnant. In the photo where she has the funny expression on her face, the caption says that a woman is bumping into her. The other photo shows her with Prince Andrew.

Photos: 1. Tim Graham/Getty Images; 2. David Levenson/Getty Images

And love was in the air that Ascot for Andrew.....Fergie is at Diana's left shoulder in the second picture.

Great pictures!

Lady Jean said:
And love was in the air that Ascot for Andrew.....Fergie is at Diana's left shoulder in the second picture.

Great pictures!

Even yet, Fergie's wearing Diana's suit. :)

For me, Diana was at her peak during the Catherine Walker era. When she first got engaged to Prince Charles she seemed fashion-wise to be pretty backward and not chic at all. When she started being dressed by Bruce Oldfield and Walker, that's when she really started to be glamourous and stylish. A lot of her Ascot dresses seemed "Sunday-Schoolish" to me which I guess for royals iss pretty much par for the course.

Back
Top Bottom