Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pilar,
Thank you for posting such rare pictures :flowers:
I'm happy to see them, although not too impressed with that dress!

Pilar,
these photos are awesome! never seen these before...thank you so much for sharing!!

I never see that diana' clothes before!
great photos!

was taken in 1987?

Pilar,
What wonderful pictures! Thank you for posting.

I wonder why the magazines didn't print more pictures like this? Even in the memoriam pictures, they choose the same pictures over and over.

Anyway, these are awesome.

Tenngirl

After the excitement of Pilar's rare photos, the next ones I have are familiar and boring. They are from 1987 film premieres; all the dresses were also worn on other occasions. I'm not even sure these pics are worth posting. However, they do document Diana's film-premiere engagements as to dates and what she wore, so they may be useful to someone.

Here, then, are the 1987 film premieres that I know about. If there are any others, someone please let us know.

1. "Short Circuit," Jan. 15, 1987. The rare photos posted by Pilar.

2. "Mosquito Coast," Feb. 4, 1987. Squidgy posted a photo of this above.

3. "Children of a Lesser God," Feb. 26, 1987. This is another premiere that was listed in the Engagements column of Majesty and/or Royalty mags, but from which I've never seen a photo.

4. "84 Charing Cross Road," Mar. 23, 1987

5. "The Living Daylights," June 29, 1987

6. "Superman IV," July 23, 1987

7. "Dancers," Dec. 7, 1987

Photos:4.Tim Graham/Corbis/APL; "The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall
5.mirrorpix.com; "The Royal Family ...," by Hall
6. and 7. "The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall

umbrellagirl said:
After the excitement of Pilar's rare photos, the next ones I have are familiar and boring... I'm not even sure these pics are worth posting... they may be useful to someone.
Not every pic can be rare or unfamiliar. It's only by sharing that the collectors among the members can discover the rare gems or find images that fill in the blanks. For everyone else the enjoyment comes from looking at the pics, especially when they are so well organised and presented. :)

Thanks for these beautiful pictures, umbrellagirl! Specially "Superman IV": I know Diana was wearing this blue dress, but I didn't have any pictures of this day!

Aww, Warren, you're so sweet. And Pilar, I'm glad I could help.

Here are the 1988 film premieres.

1. "The Last Emperor," Feb. 25, 1988

2. "Wall Street," Apr. 27, 1988. Squidgy posted photos of this above.

3. "Crocodile Dundee II," June 21, 1988

4. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" Nov. 21, 1988

5. "Willow," Dec. 8, 1988

Photos: 1."The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall (individual photographers not credited)
3.a."Unseen Archives" (The Daily Mail); b. Royalty magazine
4.a.Majesty magazine; b. and c. Hello magazine
5.a.Royalty magazine; b.www.warwickdavis.co.uk

Beautiful picts, umbrellagirl!!! I had never seen any pictures of "last emperor" premiere! Was Charles in this premiere?
Do you know if Diana went to Crocodile Dundee I premiere?

In answer to your questions, Pilar:

Yes, Charles was at the "Last Emperor" premiere. I have a black-and-white photo of Ch. and D. together there, but I can't find it!:sad:

And as far as I know, Diana did not attend a premiere of the original "Crocodile Dundee."

Umbrellagirl, as usual, you are doing a wonderful job of identifying & organizing pictures of Diana at film premieres. Your pictures may not be rare to yourself, but I imagine they are rare to many others. So please keep up the excellent work. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you, Squidgy!
Perhaps there are some pictures that are very "common" to everybody and other pictures that can be rare for somebody and very "normal" for others. That is what has happened to me with "short circuit" premiere pictures: I have these pictures since 1987 (original magazine) when I was 11 years old, because I liked to cut Diana's clothes' pictures, so it was a bit surprising to me the reaction of all of you, saying that they are very rare!!
I'm sure that all of you have pictures that considere very "normal" and most of us haven't seen them.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Mentor Squidgy.:) And thank you for the photo from the "Children of a Lesser God" premiere. I think you must have pictures of almost all of Diana's engagements; you always come up with one.

Just off the top of my head, that's 3 times that Diana wore that dramatic black-and-red "flamenco" dress:
-the America's Cup Ball in September 1986 (with the choker on a black velvet band)
-premiere of "The Mission" in October 1986 (with the large star brooch) -- previously posted here, also by Squidgy
-and totally unadorned (at "Children of a Lesser God") in February 1987

I loved it when she varied an outfit by wearing different jewelry or accessories; it's so helpful when trying to date the photos.

I think I remember reading that she wore it also on the April 1987 tour of Spain, where it would have been especially appropriate, but I don't recall having seen a photo. Does anybody know, or have a pic? Pilar, you're Spanish -- maybe you know.

Oh, I just thought of something. I think I remember seeing her wear this dress without the gloves (unless I'm imagining it). When was that occasion? Maybe that was Spain?

Last edited:
How befitting that Diana would wear that pink gown to the premier of Who Framed Roger Rabbitt. She looked like she was part of a fairy tale; totally unreal.:flowers:

Also, love to see the constrast in dress from the 80s and 90s. A whole "lotta" dress of the 80s vice the sleek looks of the 90s.

In answer to Umbrellagirl, I have a photo of Diana from Point de Vue and she is wearing the black and red gown during the trip to Spain. It is a b/w photo and she has some type of shawl over her shoulders. I need to learn how to post photos and then I will try. But at least you can add this to the list of how many times she wore the gown!

umbrellagirl said:
Thanks for the encouraging words, Mentor Squidgy.:) And thank you for the photo from the "Children of a Lesser God" premiere. I think you must have pictures of almost all of Diana's engagements; you always come up with one.

Just off the top of my head, that's 3 times that Diana wore that dramatic black-and-red "flamenco" dress:
-the America's Cup Ball in September 1986 (with the choker on a black velvet band)
-premiere of "The Mission" in October 1986 (with the large star brooch) -- previously posted here, also by Squidgy
-and totally unadorned (at "Children of a Lesser God") in February 1987

I loved it when she varied an outfit by wearing different jewelry or accessories; it's so helpful when trying to date the photos.

I think I remember reading that she wore it also on the April 1987 tour of Spain, where it would have been especially appropriate, but I don't recall having seen a photo. Does anybody know, or have a pic? Pilar, you're Spanish -- maybe you know.

Oh, I just thought of something. I think I remember seeing her wear this dress without the gloves (unless I'm imagining it). When was that occasion? Maybe that was Spain?
You're sweet Umbrellagirl! I hate to shatter your illusions, but unfortunately I am a very long, long way from having a picture of each of Diana's engagements. :sad: That's why sharing on this forum is so fun!

Yes, she did wear this gown in Spain, & as Smg9295 points out, she had a shawl around her shoulders. She is also wearing gloves in Spain, so if you have a picture of her without gloves, it might be a new engagement.

April 23 1987 Spain

Photos: Hola, Lecturas

Looks like she is graciously wearing a gift from her visit to Spain? Great rare pictures.

I never see diana dreeses in that way before!
is a look rare in her but she look radiant and beautiful
thanks for the photos-

I just stumbled upon these forums a few weeks ago and I am amazed that there are people still as interested as I am in Diana and all her events, clothing, etc. I always thought I had seen about every photo before and it's such a treat to see a new, rare ones like the two posted by Squidgy. Thank you so much. Isn't it interesting that some occasions were so rarely photographed? I continue to search for more photos of Diana on June 15, 1987 - the evening I saw her at the Royal Albert Hall. I've only seen one - so if anyone has clippings from that time period....

Squidgy was faster than me!
I only have this picture of Diana wearing this dress during her visit to Spain and it's very similar to Squidgy's. It is from Lecturas

Last edited:
Nice picture Pilar!:)

I'm showing my ignorance about Spanish customs here, but I'm curious about Diana's shawl & hat. Are these traditional Spanish pieces? I thought her shawl was beautiful & wish we would have seen her wear it again.

While I was trying to put in order my pictures I noticed that I have some pictures of Diana wearing the burgundy dress she wore in "Back to the future" premiere (see message 3), but she is not wearing the pearl necklace. Does anybody know when she wore this dress again?

The shawl is "typical spanish". It's called Mantón de Manila and should be a piece of silk embroidery with brilliant colours, habitually flowered, triangle-shaped and with bangs in two of the three sides, and it's a complement of all the traditional dresses. (You know: typical spanish dress (andalusian), but local dresses too: catalonian, madrid, zaragoza...).
This kind of hat is not from spain!! But perhaps Diana wanted to seem a spanish woman, because they used to wear flowers on the head.
Actually, I had never noticed this kind of hat, because the picture I have from this day is taken from the other side.

Pilar said:
The shawl is "typical spanish". It's called Mantón de Manila and should be a piece of silk embroidery with brilliant colours, habitually flowered, triangle-shaped and with bangs in two of the three sides, and it's a complement of all the traditional dresses. (You know: typical spanish dress (andalusian), but local dresses too: catalonian, madrid, zaragoza...).
This kind of hat is not from spain!! But perhaps Diana wanted to seem a spanish woman, because they used to wear flowers on the head.
Actually, I had never noticed this kind of hat, because the picture I have from this day is taken from the other side.

Thank you for all of the information Pilar. I'm guessing that with a name like "Mantón de Manila" that the shawl also has some sort of connection to the Philippines. I wonder if, like Lady Jean guesses, it is a gift she received on her visit, or if she had it ordered ahead of time. Regardless, it's beautiful!

Pilar said:
While I was trying to put in order my pictures I noticed that I have some pictures of Diana wearing the burgundy dress she wore in "Back to the future" premiere (see message 3), but she is not wearing the pearl necklace. Does anybody know when she wore this dress again?

Pilar, she wore this gown at least 4 times that I can recall. The "Back to the Future" premiere was the only time I think that she wore a necklace. The other times there was no necklace.

Nov. 7 1985 in Australia (wearing the Spencer tiara)
Dec. 3 1985 "Back to the Future" premiere
Dec. 15 1985 London City Ballet gala (she's wearing her double cluster amethyst/diamond earrings)
Nov. 16 1987 performance of "Back with a Vengeance" (does anyone know what earrings she has on here? It's hard to tell in my pics)

I feel like I've forgot one? Not sure.

Pilar, you can always post your picture in the Picture thread & maybe we can help you identify it.

Pilar,
Here is a lovely photo of Diana in the burgundy velvet at the banquet in Adelaide, Australia. As Squidgy noted, she's wearing no necklace, but the Spencer tiara. This was about a month before the "Back to the Future" premiere.

Photo: AP Photo/Jim Bourdier

Squidgy and Pilar,
Thank you for the photos from Spain, and all the information.:flowers: I don't care for that headpiece, but I do like the shawl, and Lady Jean, your theory is a good one: it does look as if Diana is wearing a gift she'd been given while on the tour.

Pilar said:
Squidgy was faster than me! I only have this picture of Diana wearing this dress during her visit to Spain and it's very similar to Squidgy's.
wow, never seen this pic/dress before. couldnt belive its lady di:ohmy:

OMG! I absolutely LOVE these photos of Diana in Spain..these are rare for me...thank you so much for sharing *big smiles*

OK, getting back on topic, here are film premieres from 1989:

1. "Dangerous Liaisons," Mar. 6, 1989. (Kwanfan posted another photo at Post #4 of this thread.)

2. "Burning Secret," Apr. 12, 1989. This premiere is in the Engagements listings of Royalty/Majesty mags, but I've never seen a photo.

3. "Licence to Kill," June 13, 1989. The dress was first worn six years previously, in Australia in 1983. Kwanfan posted another photo of this also in Post #4 above.

4. "Farewell to the King," July 6, 1989. Another premiere that's in the Engagements listings, but for which I have no photo.

5. "When the Whales Came," Sep. 7, 1989

6. "Shirley Valentine," Oct. 10, 1989

7. "When Harry Met Sally." I think this was in early December, but I don't know the exact date. Anybody know?

Photos: 1.Tim Graham; 3.Royalty magazine; 5. both Tim Graham; 6.Alpha in Majesty magazine; 7. both "Unseen Archives," The Daily Mail

Last edited:
Here you are some pictures:
"Burning secrets" premiere:

"Farewell to the king" premiere:
th_farewelltotheking2.jpg

As you can see, she's wearing the same dress as "When the whales came" premiere, but with different necklace.

Hola! magazine.

Pilar said:
Here you are some pictures: "Burning secrets" premiere:
I have always loved this dress. I like the colors.

Pilar,
Thank you so much for the beautiful photos from the two occasions I'd never seen.:flowers: I especially love the one in the sari-style fuchsia and purple dress. You can even see that her shoes match the dress. Just gorgeous.

That strapless blue print seemed to be a popular choice for premieres. She wore it also to Crocodile Dundee II in 1988. (Post #36 above)

Back
Top Bottom