Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't the royal family give photos as thank you for tours? I don't know if they are signed or not. There was a picture of a framed photo of W&K with baby George that was a thank you for the Australian and New Zealand tour. I would also think that the charities that have a royal patron would probably have some photos of them. I can't see royals passing out signed photos as the work a crowd.

Jackieo1600 I have tons of engagements and dates. I am currently doing this on Pinterest year by year with the engagements I have. Unfortunately I live in the States and didn't have access to the court circulars, just did a lot by Majesty and Royalty magazines and other sources. Please feel free to message me and maybe we can get them all. My dream at one time was to have every picture of every engagement, but I don't know if that is even possible!

You won't get pictures of every engagement simply because they don't release them of things like 'meetings' or 'receiveds'.

Who would be interested in seeing a group of people sitting around a table talking about something - once or twice yes but 100s of them - no. All royals do a number of these of things.

The 'out of palace' engagements are the ones where photos would be possible.

Not even all the receptions a royal attends have photos released.

A full copy of the CC from 1981 to her leaving the royal family when her official engagements would have stopped being recorded is the only way to do a full count and the online CC only goes back to 1997.

When I retire I intend on visiting a few places where I know they had the CC going back to the beginning on micro-fiche to find out if they digitised the entire copies of The Times or whether they only did selected bits. If they digitised it then I will attempt to do a full count for Diana - along with the rest of the BRF since WWII.

That sounds great. If anyone else is interested let me know, even if time has passed since this post.
Hi Jackieo1600 I would like to take part too, I have a lot of the dates recorded but not in a way I can share, and not in any ordered way... Im working on getting them more concise and into one document. you can email me ansteystreet@hotmail.com

Princess Diana visit to Cheltenham 27/02/1981

February 5, 1986: Princess Diana accompanied by Sarah Ferguson take Prince William on a visit to Prince Andrew's boat, The HMS Brazen by the River Thames.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/60/b7/d5/60b7d591efe5b533e0c581e4dfebadb0.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d6/16/04/d61604eb84e56bbfc4dae86138653b97.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/7b/eb/e87beb3f8b5391f3504cd96f8a878057.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/f2/28/d5f228b3635d28347607f2c70d5100be.jpg

Princess Diana at grandmother's funeral

Last edited by a moderator:
Love reading about Diana's royal engagements and royal duties.

You won't get pictures of every engagement simply because they don't release them of things like 'meetings' or 'receiveds'.

Who would be interested in seeing a group of people sitting around a table talking about something - once or twice yes but 100s of them - no. All royals do a number of these of things.

The 'out of palace' engagements are the ones where photos would be possible.

Not even all the receptions a royal attends have photos released.

A full copy of the CC from 1981 to her leaving the royal family when her official engagements would have stopped being recorded is the only way to do a full count and the online CC only goes back to 1997.

When I retire I intend on visiting a few places where I know they had the CC going back to the beginning on micro-fiche to find out if they digitised the entire copies of The Times or whether they only did selected bits. If they digitised it then I will attempt to do a full count for Diana - along with the rest of the BRF since WWII.

An update to this post ... now that I am retired.

I have been looking into availability of past copies of The Times here in Australia and my old university claims to have all of The Times back to 1788 - except for anything from 1978 for some reason. The State Library of NSW claims to have the entire Times back to 1788.

Now I have to get to one or both of these places and check them out and see how far back I can go (a wonderful retirement project for me I think).

I am currently doing 1997 from the British Monarchy website and am almost finished June. They certainly made use of Britannia and I am also finding it interesting how many of the family visited Hong Kong in the first half of that year and the fact that Philip basically was absent from the UK for a month on a world tour for World Wide Fund for Nature.

What a stunningly interesting project. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the results!

The Princess of Wales in Pakistan to raise money for a cancer hospital-

An update to this post ... now that I am retired.

I have been looking into availability of past copies of The Times here in Australia and my old university claims to have all of The Times back to 1788 - except for anything from 1978 for some reason. The State Library of NSW claims to have the entire Times back to 1788.

Now I have to get to one or both of these places and check them out and see how far back I can go (a wonderful retirement project for me I think).

I am currently doing 1997 from the British Monarchy website and am almost finished June. They certainly made use of Britannia and I am also finding it interesting how many of the family visited Hong Kong in the first half of that year and the fact that Philip basically was absent from the UK for a month on a world tour for World Wide Fund for Nature.

Can't wait to see what your research reveals ILuvBertie.?

My gosh...baby Harry's resemblance to his own son at the same age is simply astonishing! :ohmy:?

yes theres a definite resemblance...

Two of my favorite princesses of all time(the third is Caroline!;)

Princess Diana at Thorpe Park in 1993

Prince Charles and Diana at Broadlands (9 May 1981):

Princess Diana and Prince Charles ski in Liechtenstein:

Prince Charles and Princess Diana visiting Thailand.

Has anyone kept track of the number of all official engagements Diana attended? How many did she attend a year on average? Since estimates are now made for each royal member, how much did Diana work on average?

I don’t think there were the tally numbers published for all members of the BRF in the 1980s that are done today.

There’s this from wiki but I don’t believe Diana’s average numbers of engagements during her time as a royal have ever been tallied. She stepped up those numbers after her sons went to boarding school I know, because it was mentioned in the media at the time.

‘From the mid-1980s, she became increasingly associated with numerous charities. She carried out 191 official engagements in 1988[177] and 397 in 1991.’ End quote.

Last edited:
Her engagements were published in the Court Circular and I think some royal fans did totting up of the numbers. She did less in her first few years because she was having her babies.

Back
Top Bottom