Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this a list people are helping to compile?
I do remember several more engagements in the fall of 1981 off the top of my head>
One concert where she fell asleep and it was later learned she was pregnant with William, another, with Charles in the city of London, the day after they'd announced the pregnancy. Didn't they do a tour of Wales soon after that too?

That would be the tour in October - went for three days.

Diana did so much within her years as HRH Princess of Wales it's not even funny.

June 6 and June 11, 1983

I'll add two I witnessed myself

June 6, attending the premiere of the James Bond film, Octo*****.
Diana wore the silver one-shouldered gown.

June 11, Trooping the Colour. Diana rode in a carriage with the Queen Mother.

Mr O'Donovan's figures are available somewhere going back that far but I can only get totals and not for every year sadly. I don't know where to get the CC prior to 1997 and that is my problem.

I'm not sure if this would be helpful, but I'm sure it will probably be a lot of work. The CC is usually listed in the London Times and copies of Times doing back decades are usually available online or at the library or your school might have access.

I do not know if the Times' version is different than what you are using for the weekly updates.

My school doesn't have access and you have to pay for The Times - which is the same thing as on the Monarchy website - but they are only back to 1997.

I might invest in the subscription for a year but not until I have paid off my mortgage as in the meantime my budget won't stretch that far.

Hopefully all the polo matches were not considered part of royal duties.

During the early years, except for the foreign tours, based on the above 'engagements' , she did very little besides attending galas, concerts and polo matches. Hopefully this is not true and these were just the photos that someone had and not an accurate portrayal of her all royal engagements.

I am glad to see this the comparisons being made by another board between Diana and Catherine have been critical saying Diana worked all the time doing hundreds of royal engagements compared with Catherine the royal gossip forum have accused her of not being George's mother and William not father they even accused William of killing that nurse as a cover up I won't link it but just google it.

I am glad to see this the comparisons being made by another board between Diana and Catherine have been critical saying Diana worked all the time doing hundreds of royal engagements compared with Catherine the royal gossip forum have accused her of not being George's mother and William not father they even accused William of killing that nurse as a cover up I won't link it but just google it.

Places like that take a whole lot of garbage, toss it into a pot and mix it with a whole lot of venom and then Dish it out to the public as fact.

Welcome to TRF Paula!

My school doesn't have access and you have to pay for The Times - which is the same thing as on the Monarchy website - but they are only back to 1997.

I might invest in the subscription for a year but not until I have paid off my mortgage as in the meantime my budget won't stretch that far.

The Times online facility only goes back as far as 2000.

This is a clip from an Australian t.v. program featuring a young girl who met Diana during a mid-90s trip to Australia.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPENgQEbciU

I remember seeing this video. It's was very kind of Diana to meet this brave young lady. I still get chocked up just watching it. I miss Diana a lot. I guess she was just needed elsewhere.

12 Jan 1990 Diana opens new ChildLine office (ChildLine is a free 24-hour counselling service for children and young people up to their 19th birthday)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for those most interesting and touching video links, Mermaid1962 and Furstin Taxis :flowers:

I was still in my 20s when Diana and Charles married and, at the time, loved almost everything she wore (except her wedding dress). But looking back I can see that while we all thought it was the best fashion of the time, now it definitely has a costumy feel to it. I eventually began to think that as she became more and more estranged from the royal family, even though still married to Charles, her clothes took on a "look at me, aren't I better looking than everyone else in the family." At times she looked like a stylish business woman when on solo engagements, but especially when with the whole family, it became obvious she wanted to take the attention away from the other royals.

Diana had charisma, even if she totally had this in mind, people wanted to see her.
No problem Valerie! Thanks to everyone updating this thread :)

I stumbled over this rare picture: Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales has a table-partner: His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange.

Picture

And now we are speaking about the past: His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales receives His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange.

Picture

Duc-Hopefully you can confirm this storythat I read on one of the royal forums years ago. Apparently W-A was invited to attend a formal dinner at Buckingham Palace when he was still at school in Wales. His seat partner was Diana. During the dinner he had a small mishap at the table ie: dropped his fork and muttered something under his breath. Having a teenage brother herself, Diana heard it and laughed along with him putting the young Prince of Orange at ease.

If anyone is still interested in this please let me know. I would like to swap information. Especially on the early years. I have access to the Court Circular including the 80s as well as many scrapbooks and clippings.

That is wonderful, jackieo, and I'm sure the 1980's and '90's CC records would be an enormous help to Iluvbertie and others who collate Royal engagements here. I used to have lots of magazines and clippings on Diana but most of them got thrown out over the years, so good on you for keeping yours.

I would love the CC records to add to my collection for engagements if possible. Maybe we should communicate via PM.

That sounds great. If anyone else is interested let me know, even if time has passed since this post.

Diana's engagements on 27 September 1990

I have a page from a visitors' book that Diana has signed and dated. The date is 27 September 1990.

The person I bought it from said that he had been in charge of a centre (for the homeless I believe) in Camden at the time and Diana had visited the centre on the above date.

I have Googled to the point of exhaustion but can find no list of Diana's official engagements for that day. I have seen an image of a lunch she had at the Merchant's Hall that day so I do know that she was indeed in London.

I am not worried about the authenticity of the piece but I would dearly love to obtain some more information about its background.

The Royal Circular site only gives details of engagements back to 1997. I know The Times publishes or published details of Royal engagements but a) I am not sure whether I would need the paper for 27/9 or 28/9 and b) I don't really want to buy an old newspaper for £35.

Can anyone help me?

Hi herrlast, The only place I know of in Camden that Diana was involved with was one run by the Thomas Coram Foundation: Homeless Children Project. She visited that centre in January of 1990, there are photos of her arriving. However, I can't find any photos of her visiting in September unfortunately.

However, as Diana tried to get around her charities connected with the homeless and with children several times a year, both privately and publicly, I wouldn't be at all surprised at her visiting the centre in the autumn after her visit at the beginning of the year.

Thank you Curryong, I also found images of Diana at the Thomas Coram Foundation but I was put off by the date. I expect they have a site so I will dig a bit there. If it was a private visit there may well be no record of it at all - apart from my visitors's book page of course.

Diana visit to Camden 27 September 1990 - follow-up

While tidying up I came across the original backing board for Diana's autograph. The seller had written some details on the board. In a nutshell, Diana was visiting a Winter Project for the homeless in Camden Road.

My subsequent Googling has alas uncovered nothing about this visit.

By the way, the autograph was matted with a good quality original black & white photograph of Diana by David Bailey (see attached image). Perhaps someone knows if Diana handed out photos on her visits to such projects.

Attachments

• diana - bailey.jpg
    diana - bailey.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 251
My opinion only, but I doubt very very much that the Princess of Wales would go to an engagement and hand out copies of her own photograph, autographed or otherwise. I never heard of her or any other British Royal doing so.

I don't know what details the seller gave to you when she/he sold you the original autograph but it could be that both photo and autograph were auctioned by the charity concerned, after Diana had left, in honour of her visit and to raise funds for the cause.

Alternatively, maybe the person bought a copy of Diana's Bailey photo somewhere (there were images of her all over the place) and then got the autograph or vice versa and being a fan, twinned them together.

Last edited:
My opinion only, but I doubt very very much that the Princess of Wales would go to an engagement and hand out copies of her own photograph, autographed or otherwise. I never heard of her or any other British Royal doing so.

I don't know what details the seller gave to you when she/he sold you the original autograph but it could be that both photo and autograph were auctioned by the charity concerned, after Diana had left, in honour of her visit and to raise funds for the cause.

Alternatively, maybe the person bought a copy of Diana's Bailey photo somewhere (there were images of her all over the place) and then got the autograph or vice versa and being a fan, twinned them together.

I recently watched a 1986 prog on YouTube called Charles and Diana - in Public and Private. Both Charles and Diana signed photographs to give to charit "benefactors" - it was mainly in the US, but they did do it. They signed so many.

Back
Top Bottom