Diana, Princess of Wales: Statue Unveiling - July 1st 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Horrendous, just horrendous ... Looks like something from the Soviet Union.
Diana deserved better than this over-cheesy, untasteful piece of crap.

I think the statue is hideous. All I can see is the ugly big belt buckle, and something looks wrong with Diana’s chin. Cold, hard and ugly, nothing like the real Diana at all.

My first reaction to the statue (of course with eyes barely open after a nap and a serious lack of coffee) was "Julie Andrews". I can't say that I like the statue or that anything about it really says "Diana" to me.

What really matters though is if the brothers and the family like it. I'll probably never get even close to seeing it in person and that may make all the difference in the world.

I see that the outfit is from this photo. Maybe a favourite of the boy’s.

If there were to be children I think William and Harry held close would have been warming. The color is dark and cold. It doesn't reflect enough of Diana's features for recognition. It looked like a very nice family ceremony. P William is looking a lot like Earl Spencer in my opinion.

He's captured the children very well. I just can't see much of a likeness to Diana at all which is a bit of a shame.

I have been drawn again and again to the young girl in the statue. She is clinging to Diana in a very familiar way, like you would expect from a close family member, like a granddaughter leading her grandmother to something. For this reason I wondered if she is meant to represent (unofficially) all of Diana's grandchildren. She seems to have quite a different relationship, as it were, to Diana than the other two children.

Many people elsewhere have asked why the children aren't William and Harry, and I find this rather an odd question. Of course William would not want a likeness of himself as a child in his own garden, and I cannot imagine the reaction if Harry had effectively commissioned a statue of himself.

China Pink Tulips and Maureen Tulips were among the blooms used. I have planted both types of tulips.

I don't think William and Harry would have wanted their images as children to be placed with the Diana statue. It is about her not them. Also, the children represented those she had helped in her charity work. I don't think they are meant to represent her grandchildren.

The statue is better than I expected it to be, in my opinion.

I didn't have high hopes. I'm not sure statues can ever be satisfactory in modern times, when we have so many videos and photographs (not to mention memories) of the deceased.

But it is in place that Diana loved. And chosen by the two people she loved most in the world. And that, to me, is what makes it a worthy remembrance of Diana.

I don't think William and Harry would have wanted their images as children to be placed with the Diana statue. It is about her not them. Also, the children represented those she had helped in her charity work. I don't think they are meant to represent her grandchildren.

I agree. I think they wanted the focus to be on her.

I actually think it’s a pretty accurate representation of her image. Not too happy with the addition of two random kids.

Three. Another one in the back. I am sure the next few pages point this out, but I wanted to voice my opinion before reading the majority of opinions.

It is definitely her. The contemporary dress may be jarring, but it won't in 20 years. Sure, she could have been represented in gowns and such, but that wouldn't provide a fulcrum for her descendants in addressing today's issues. These young men and their wives want to look forward.

I am glad she is portrayed with children. Regarding the shoes or lack of with the children, I think the artist was thinking about where in the world Diana tried to make an effort.

Horrendous, just horrendous ... Looks like something from the Soviet Union.
Diana deserved better than this over-cheesy, untasteful piece of crap.
Yes, thank you for putting my thoughts in writing

If you didn't know who it was supposed to be then from a distance you can't recognise that it is her. Close up and still difficult to tell. Not a fan, but so long as the boys are happy.

My only complaint about the statue is that it seems to be rather broad in the shoulders?

Other than that, it's okay. Not brilliant, but not terrible either.

My only complaint about the statue is that it seems to be rather broad in the shoulders?

Other than that, it's okay. Not brilliant, but not terrible either.

Diana was rather broad in the shoulders.

The legs on the statue are nice. Diana had the most perfect pair of legs I have ever seen on a woman.

But the face? No. Not at all.:sad:

The statue does look beautiful in the garden. The gardens are just lovely.

I find it no statue for a 17th C palace garden. Not in material, not in execution and not in scenery. It looks perfect placed in front of a concrete East-European Childrens' Hospital built under Communist rule.

In Kensington Palace Gardens it requires another material, another aesthetics and another scenery to blend in a centuries old formal and historical park. Far too contemporary in setting and execution.

Last edited:
I find it no statue for a 17th C palace garden. Not in material, not in execution and not in scenery. It looks perfect placed in front of a concrete East-European Childrens' Hospital built under Communist rule.

In Kensington Palace Gardens it requires another material, another aesthetics and another scenery to blend in a centuries old formal and historical park. Far too contemporary in setting and execution.

You make some good points. It just seems to lack charm, which Diana had in abundance.

It is just awful. I hate the gloomy colour, it barely looks like Diana nad it looks like she's holding the children back from runing across the road.

Ghastly,like some butch...well...Nah,this is too much!

He's captured the children very well. I just can't see much of a likeness to Diana at all which is a bit of a shame.

Captured the children very well??Whom?Who s children!!??Male,female and a gender or what is this?..

Apparently the big belt buckle, which I could really have done without, seems to have been inspired by the dress Diana was wearing on her 1993 Christmas card photo. I appreciate that they wanted the statue to show her wearing everyday clothes rather than a glamorous evening dress, but I'm sure they could have found something better than that!

As mentioned in an article on Artnet today, "The nearly life-size, cast bronze sculpture shows Diana standing surrounded by three children, alluding to her devoted advocacy for children around the world." Her arm is around one child and holding on to the hand of another, the third child is behind her as if providing cover. While it may lack visual beauty it's symbolism I think is quite powerful. The inscription in front of her statue which apparently was included at her 2007 memorial services is lovely and also very powerful. I guess I didn't know what to expect but as a memorial statue I think it will stand the test of time.
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/princess-diana-statue-unveiled-kensington-garden-1985148

Apparently the big belt buckle, which I could really have done without, seems to have been inspired by the dress Diana was wearing on her 1993 Christmas card photo. I appreciate that they wanted the statue to show her wearing everyday clothes rather than a glamorous evening dress, but I'm sure they could have found something better than that!

Yeah I only noticed that on a second look. The first time I looked I honestly thought it was some kind of mock up, and looking again the belt buckle just looks terrible...
It does seem impossible to get a good memorial to Diana, there was the ditch, and now this.

Captured the children very well??Whom?Who s children!!??Male,female and a gender or what is this?..

Afaik nothing has been mentioned about who the children are and my understanding is that they represent some, all or any of the children Diana may have had an impact on. The sculptor has carved, created, moulded (or whatever they do) these kids very well I feel. Not so Diana imho.

You make some good points. It just seems to lack charm, which Diana had in abundance.

Not only that but I looked at some of Diana's pictures and then at the statue and found she did not have such a big bustier in real life. With her, opening the blouse to the third button looked cheeky and chic, but very decent, while here it looks naughty! IMHO. She is not a Kardashian, she is a born aristocrat and mother of a future king. It's okay to show her in "normal" clothes, because that's what William and Harry will remember her in mostly, but touching up on sexualized parts of the female body is not good. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom