The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2021, 02:39 PM
Courtier

I'd be surprised if any of William and Harry's Spencer cousins were there.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I think those included is who should be there -- her sons, the Spencers, and the designer/ sculpture. No one else really needs to be included in this ceremony.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:26 AM
Majesty

It hardly seems worthwhile having a ceremony for so few people especially if they end up having another one in September. And that's not a good time because it is close to her death. But things have dragged on for so long..
Old 06-27-2021, 08:11 AM
Courtier

The effects of the Pandemic might not be gone in September.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:16 AM
Majesty

If that's the case then a bigger event will probalby have to wait till next summer....
Old 06-27-2021, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It hardly seems worthwhile having a ceremony for so few people especially if they end up having another one in September. And that's not a good time because it is close to her death. But things have dragged on for so long..
I don't think it is so much about the statue at that point. What I gathered is that this was initially going to be a garden party style unveiling. Likely with many of Diana's former charities and patronages. Family, friends, etc. They can't do that, so they scaled it back dramatically. The goal is maybe to do something of the like in September if possible. But nothing has been confirmed.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
The thing I remember most about Diana's appearance -- seen in films and such - was how gracefully she moved. Even in exiting a car, a potential sticky wicket for many royal ladies, Diana just glided.

If something of that lithe grace of movement could be captured, that would be lovely.
I am glad you noticed her grace of movement also. I always have, especially whe I see some of those royal women clunking along in their super high heels
Old 06-27-2021, 12:38 PM
Royal Highness

Diana never had to wear those, though, due to her height and trying not to be taller than Charles, not to mention they weren't really in style then. She was a trained dancer, but don't you think more normal shoes helped, too?
Old 06-27-2021, 05:19 PM
Majesty

She did wear high heels, but she did have a natural grace....
Old 06-27-2021, 07:39 PM
Nobility

Duke of Cambridge to show his children Diana statue ahead of official unveiling

Quote:
(...)

The family are expected to view the statue in its final position in Kensington Palace's Sunken Garden for a quiet moment of reflection in the coming days.

Prince William is understood to be keen to share some private time in the presence of the statue with his children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis before it is revealed to the wider world.

(...)

Initially there had been plans for more than 100 guests to attend the unveiling, but plans have been dramatically scaled back due to concerns over the pandemic.

As well as her two sons, members of the Spencer family are also expected to attend on Thursday.

No decision has yet been made on whether the Duchess of Cambridge will join her husband at Thursday’s official ceremony.

(...)
Edit: Archive file https://archive.ph/C2q2t
Old 06-27-2021, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

It makes sense for William to do a private viewing with his family. I am sure Harry will also view is privately as well.

Seems like they still don't have confirmation if Kate will attend or not. Odd they being so secretive about it.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm happy to hear that the Cambridge kids will have their own private viewing of the statue before its unveiled to the public. William always has stated that he tries to keep Diana very much in his children's minds and memories and this is an occasion they'll always remember as they grow older and see the statue throughout the years.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:10 PM
Aristocracy

Its not there yet...but it is coming soon:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...65&oe=60DECC01
Old 06-27-2021, 10:16 PM
Nobility

Thanks so much for posting the archive - I really appreciate it!

I think this is wonderful for William to have some time alone with the children and Kate and perhaps for Harry to have some alone time too. Even with the scaled down unveiling, I would think it would be important to have some time without others there (committee, sculptor, etc) when they actually see it for the first time. I’m sure that it will be very emotional for them. Even Charlotte realizes that “Papa misses you.”😢

Seriously don’t think Charles will be there unless you mean Charles Spencer
Old 06-27-2021, 10:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
Seriously don’t think Charles will be there unless you mean Charles Spencer
I believe Charles is slated to be in Scotland. He also went to Scotland at the time there was a commemoration for Diana on the 20th anniversary of her death. He graciously removed himself from the public eye at that time so that the focus would be on Diana and her sons that were remembering her. This time isn't any different.

I would imagine that the event planned for September will have far more people invited to it and most likely will be when the statue and the garden is available for public viewing. That's my guess anyways.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I can't see the point of a September event. Once the statue has been unveiled, it is open for anybody to view.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I can't see the point of a September event. Once the statue has been unveiled, it is open for anybody to view.
its been said that there will be a September event since this opening is only going to be for a few people. Probalby other relatives and freinds who could not be at this one....will be invited and it will be a bit more "party like". At present Covid restrictions are going to keep it very small
Old 06-28-2021, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
its been said that there will be a September event since this opening is only going to be for a few people. Probalby other relatives and freinds who could not be at this one....will be invited and it will be a bit more "party like". At present Covid restrictions are going to keep it very small
Was this an official announcement or speculation?
Old 06-28-2021, 05:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Was this an official announcement or speculation?
I dont know.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:25 AM
Serene Highness

There is an article on The Sunday Times speculating and analysing whether the unveiling of Diana's statue will put William and Harry on good terms. At one point, Roya Nikkhah wrote that Prince of Wales will not be attending the unveiling instead he will be at an official visit to Canada.

Quote:
William and Harry last commemorated their mother together on July 1, 2017, which would have been Diana’s 56th birthday. They attended a private service of “prayer and reflection” led by the Archbishop of Canterbury, at her grave in the grounds of Althorp House, the Spencer family seat in Northamptonshire. The Prince of Wales was more than 3,000 miles away, on an official visit to Canada. He will be absent on Thursday.

“He does find it terribly difficult,” says a friend. “These moments have the potential to resurface old wounds, and it brings back memories for him; happy, sad, regretful. Since Diana’s death, he has felt it’s best to keep those memories to himself and leave his sons to it.”
Can William and Harry ever patch things up?
The brothers used to speak as one over the memory of their mother. Now, barely on nodding terms, they will issue separate tributes as they unveil a statue of Diana on what would have been her 60th birthday
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...s-up-qd85wbd3f

Archive link: https://archive.ph/BFTmz