The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2021, 06:01 AM
Majesty

If its going to be such a small ceremony it might have been as well to wait till September.. albeit that's going to be a time when they will be remembering her death..

Old 06-25-2021, 06:24 AM
Commoner

Do we know what time in the UK the statue will be unveiled. Im sure it will be on the News channels if so

Old 06-25-2021, 07:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Someone described the sculptor's work as new age and a modern interpretation.

I hope we'll at least be able to tell that it's Diana!
Old 06-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Someone described the sculptor's work as new age and a modern interpretation.

I hope we'll at least be able to tell that it's Diana!
Honeslty Im not hopeful. Diana memorials have not worked out well... Its a shame but so it is.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
I think that many people will not be pleased with this sculpture, but only because they have seen hundreds and maybe even thousands of pictures of Diana, plus videos. Also an outside sculpture has to endure weather for hundreds of years, and so the skin may not have the softness and the aesthetic look of Diana's flawless beauty. To capture that is the sculptor's vision and what he will work hardest on. We will be long gone and her sculpture will still be sitting there, but hopefully with a look of happiness and not a trace of her tragedy.
This is a great point! What an incredible challenge for the sculptor! But if William and Harry have approved it, hopefully it will make them happy and then maybe we can all let Diana Rest In Peace.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

https://twitter.com/byqueenvic/statu...118506501?s=21

Press release.

Princes William and Harry will attend a small event for the unveiling of the statue of Princess Diana, in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace on 1st July @KensingtonRoyal says. Diana’s close family, sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, & garden designer, Pip Morrison, will also attend.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
https://twitter.com/byqueenvic/statu...118506501?s=21

Press release.

Princes William and Harry will attend a small event for the unveiling of the statue of Princess Diana, in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace on 1st July @KensingtonRoyal says. Dianaís close family, sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, & garden designer, Pip Morrison, will also attend.

Thank you for sharing the details ACO. Let's hope for some glorious summer weather that day.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you for sharing the details ACO. Let's hope for some glorious summer weather that day.
I hope so but the weather's pretty erratic... It was very very hot about 10 days ago, now its been raining and cool for some days.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

According to some of the correspondents there will be very limited press there. Originally they expected a lot but a sudden change has occurred where it will be one still camera, one reporter, and one video person. They are implying Harry pushed for this because he had no interest in working with the rota and the palace agreed.

It also doesn't sound like Kate will attend though KP has not confirmed it. So she might still be included in the family. We shall see.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:52 PM
Courtier

The thing I remember most about Diana's appearance -- seen in films and such - was how gracefully she moved. Even in exiting a car, a potential sticky wicket for many royal ladies, Diana just glided.

If something of that lithe grace of movement could be captured, that would be lovely.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:04 AM
Serene Highness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...na-statue.html

Catherine, off the guest list.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

If thatís true itís a real shame. I wonder why she is off the list, it canít be because of Covid as she is in the same bubble as her husband.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
If thatís true itís a real shame. I wonder why she is off the list, it canít be because of Covid as she is in the same bubble as her husband.
It all seems odd. She dind't know Diana but she's Will's wife.. Who IS going to be at this? the Spencer Aunts, Charles, Will and Harry? That's all?
Old 06-26-2021, 04:52 AM
Majesty

The above link from the Fail states
  • Also there will be the statue committee, sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley and garden designer Pip Morrison
Old 06-26-2021, 06:10 AM
Majesty

I meant personal people like family and close friends. It has gone on so long that it is probably best to do it like this but it wont be a very big occasion...
Old 06-26-2021, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Diana, Princess of Wales: Statue Unveiling - July 1st 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post

I suppose because they can have so few people attend, they want it to be people who knew Diana. And people who were responsible for the statue.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It seems like the way things are set up to go, it's going to be a short and sweet occasion with a minimal amount of people there including minimal press coverage. That's pretty smart considering the recent onslaught of reports about the relationship between William and Harry.

There was also a snippet about a bigger ceremony/occasion in September so we'll see what that involves.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
The thing I remember most about Diana's appearance -- seen in films and such - was how gracefully she moved. Even in exiting a car, a potential sticky wicket for many royal ladies, Diana just glided.

If something of that lithe grace of movement could be captured, that would be lovely.
I agree with you about the movement. Letís hope sheís not sitting on a bench That would be pretty weird to say the least.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:24 AM
Aristocracy

It goes without saying that of the fifty residences at Kensington Palace there are four royal families living there. So I just assume they are the only ones invited, but what about the other residences, are they not invited even though they live there? It made me think of Diana's funeral where two thousand were in attendance and I would not have wanted to be one of the unlucky people that had to decide who was invited...or not.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
It goes without saying that of the fifty residences at Kensington Palace there are four royal families living there. So I just assume they are the only ones invited, but what about the other residences, are they not invited even though they live there? It made me think of Diana's funeral where two thousand were in attendance and I would not have wanted to be one of the unlucky people that had to decide who was invited...or not.
Its hardly the same, is it? Diana's funeral didn't take place when there were restrictions on people meeting. Besides, I dont think Diana was on close friend terms with the other families who lived in KP....