The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2021, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I find it no statue for a 17th C palace garden. Not in material, not in execution and not in scenery. It looks perfect placed in front of a concrete East-European Childrens' Hospital built under Communist rule.

In Kensington Palace Gardens it requires another material, another aesthetics and another scenery to blend in a centuries old formal and historical park. Far too contemporary in setting and execution.
You make some good points. It just seems to lack charm, which Diana had in abundance.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:13 AM
Majesty

It is just awful. I hate the gloomy colour, it barely looks like Diana nad it looks like she's holding the children back from runing across the road.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:47 AM
Majesty

Ghastly,like some butch...well...Nah,this is too much!
Old 07-02-2021, 03:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
He's captured the children very well. I just can't see much of a likeness to Diana at all which is a bit of a shame.
Captured the children very well??Whom?Who s children!!??Male,female and a gender or what is this?..
Old 07-02-2021, 04:28 AM
Serene Highness

Apparently the big belt buckle, which I could really have done without, seems to have been inspired by the dress Diana was wearing on her 1993 Christmas card photo. I appreciate that they wanted the statue to show her wearing everyday clothes rather than a glamorous evening dress, but I'm sure they could have found something better than that!
Old 07-02-2021, 05:00 AM
Courtier

As mentioned in an article on Artnet today, "The nearly life-size, cast bronze sculpture shows Diana standing surrounded by three children, alluding to her devoted advocacy for children around the world." Her arm is around one child and holding on to the hand of another, the third child is behind her as if providing cover. While it may lack visual beauty it's symbolism I think is quite powerful. The inscription in front of her statue which apparently was included at her 2007 memorial services is lovely and also very powerful. I guess I didn't know what to expect but as a memorial statue I think it will stand the test of time.
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/pr...garden-1985148
Old 07-02-2021, 05:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Apparently the big belt buckle, which I could really have done without, seems to have been inspired by the dress Diana was wearing on her 1993 Christmas card photo. I appreciate that they wanted the statue to show her wearing everyday clothes rather than a glamorous evening dress, but I'm sure they could have found something better than that!
Yeah I only noticed that on a second look. The first time I looked I honestly thought it was some kind of mock up, and looking again the belt buckle just looks terrible...
It does seem impossible to get a good memorial to Diana, there was the ditch, and now this.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:18 AM
Aristocracy

As a collaborative effort, it surely is heartfelt and well intended. But rather than it being one person's vision, an article suggests it came together as a potpourri of ideas blended together. On paper this can make sense, but very difficult to achieve.

https://sundaypost.com/news/uk-news/...ries-of-diana/
Old 07-02-2021, 06:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Captured the children very well??Whom?Who s children!!??Male,female and a gender or what is this?..
Afaik nothing has been mentioned about who the children are and my understanding is that they represent some, all or any of the children Diana may have had an impact on. The sculptor has carved, created, moulded (or whatever they do) these kids very well I feel. Not so Diana imho.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Lemon View Post
You make some good points. It just seems to lack charm, which Diana had in abundance.

Not only that but I looked at some of Diana's pictures and then at the statue and found she did not have such a big bustier in real life. With her, opening the blouse to the third button looked cheeky and chic, but very decent, while here it looks naughty! IMHO. She is not a Kardashian, she is a born aristocrat and mother of a future king. It's okay to show her in "normal" clothes, because that's what William and Harry will remember her in mostly, but touching up on sexualized parts of the female body is not good. IMHO.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Not really a fan of the statue. I don't mind the children since it represents her charity work, but the statue itself looks rather odd. The color is very ugly and the face is wrong (doesn't look like Diana at all). The only good thing about it is the legs.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am sure it winds up the Sussex squad no end that the three children in the Diana statue could, with some artistic liberty, be interpreted to be the Cambridge three!
Old 07-02-2021, 08:57 AM
Majesty

To regard the three children in the statue grouping as Diana’s Cambridge grandchildren would be pretty far fetched indeed, and I don’t know anyone who thinks they are. Have you taken a look at the little boy’s hair? I think he is meant to be a young African boy, to commemorate Diana’s humanitarian work on that continent.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Majesty

Frankly Im not sure i'd have known it was Diana, if I hadn't known it already. It does not look much like her....
Old 07-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am sure it winds up the Sussex squad no end that the three children in the Diana statue could, with some artistic liberty, be interpreted to be the Cambridge three!
I think that is a bit of a reach. Though I am seeing quite a few royalist complain that they included a boy who is clearly has African feature on the statue.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:05 AM
Nobility

Diana, Princess of Wales: Statue Unveiling - July 1st 2021

I found that Lady Sarah seems to have aged quite considerably. I hadnít seen her for some time but she is looking much older and a bit frail to me. Although I could still see that feisty character that she always was.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:08 AM
Nobility

IMO, the statue would be vastly improved if Diana had been depicted smiling. Not crazy about the big belt buckle either, but all in all, the statue's not too bad. W & H seem to be happy with it, and that's what matters. Nice that the event was semi-private. Is Harry still in the UK, or has he left already?
Old 07-02-2021, 11:41 AM
Courtier

Expression on the statue looks too serious. She should have had a contented look on her face.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:43 AM
Majesty

I'd say her manner is grim, rahter than serious. It just isn't Diana....
Old 07-02-2021, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

Wow! That would take a great deal of artistic liberty considering that all three of the children depicted appear to be about the same age. Also one of them is clearly of African descent, so that wouldn't be one of the Cambridge children.