Diana, Princess of Wales: Statue Unveiling - July 1st 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
640px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Diana%2C_Princess_of_Wales_(1996-1997).svg.png

Arms of Diana, Princess of Wales

Welcome to the thread 'Diana, Princess of Wales: Statue Unveiling - July 1st 2021'

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Additional note: this thread was created to discuss the unveiling of the statue of Diana, princess of Wales, which will take place on July 1st 2021 to commemorate the 60th birthday of the late Princess.

Analysis, opinion and sentiments about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex should be made in the Sussex-thread in the Sussex-forum, which you can find here.

Last edited:
is this defintiely going ahead now?

Such a shame the statue is going to be unveiled while the Sussex Problem is ongoing. All the press reports and commentaries are going to focus on the body language between William and Harry. The actual statue is probably going to be relegated to second place.

Such a shame the statue is going to be unveiled while the Sussex Problem is ongoing. All the press reports and commentaries are going to focus on the body language between William and Harry. The actual statue is probably going to be relegated to second place.

I wish that it was happening at another time. But is there anything on Williams or Charles Spencer's social media to indicate that it definitely IS going ahead on 1 July

I wish that it was happening at another time. But is there anything on Williams or Charles Spencer's social media to indicate that it definitely IS going ahead on 1 July

With all the reports of Harry being in the UK and isolating at Frogmore Cottage with the Brookbanks, I would think that's a good clue that this will go ahead as planned on July 1st. Harry wouldn't just fly to the UK for that specific date unless there were reasons.

I just hope it goes smoothly, the statue is unveiled and the brothers make their speeches and don't give the media more fodder for the fire they've been building up recently with more "reports" on the "battle of the brothers".

The day should be totally about Diana, Princess of Wales without anything else overshadowing it.

It is really unfortunate. A lot of the commentary at Philip’s funeral sadly focused on Harry and William. Or Meghan. But- the situation is what it is unfortunately.

I just hope it goes smoothly, the statue is unveiled and the brothers make their speeches and don't give the media more fodder for the fire they've been building up recently with more "reports" on the "battle of the brothers".

The day should be totally about Diana, Princess of Wales without anything else overshadowing it.

Hopefully- it will. I do think that if there are indeed 2 separate speeches- that’ll get commentary. Possibly starting with why there needed to be 2 to begin with. Then digging into the different messages.

It should be totally about her. But the media will be looking to pick at anything- good or bad- that they can.

Last edited:
I just dont know if they're going to reconcile at present. I think they'll make a show of unity, but nothing major. I would love to see a really nice Monument to Diana, the fountain was a mess. The garden.. OK but not as nice as I'd hoped. So I hope the statue will really work. And its probably best to do the opening now and move on to other things... rather than wait for Covid to be completely over or the sons' problems to be less of an issue.

Since the fellow chosen for the project is well known for working in a thoroughly modern style, the assumption being, that we are about to witness.. new age thought provoking, modern interpretation of Diana. Rather than -- a traditional statue presented in classic form, quickly felt, understood in a basic, powerful way.

Modern day statues are capable of making quite the bold statement, reminiscent of the fountain, but imo the older statues are better in the area of aesthetics and easier on the eye. The world has moved on from that.

Last edited:
What I read is that Will and Harry were not happy with the original sculpt and disapproved of this (sketch or prototype). I would say this is the main reason for it not progressing.. They talked about the statue on the 20th Anniversary of Diana's death, 1997, and said it was "in the works."

The Daily Mail is now reporting that the unveiling will be a much quieter event than originally planned, because of Covid restrictions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...le-unveiling-statue-Princess-Diana-Covid.html

The articles says the only guests will be William, Harry and their Spencer relatives. A larger ceremony will now take place in September.

No indication in the article if Kate will or will not attend.

I think that many people will not be pleased with this sculpture, but only because they have seen hundreds and maybe even thousands of pictures of Diana, plus videos. Also an outside sculpture has to endure weather for hundreds of years, and so the skin may not have the softness and the aesthetic look of Diana's flawless beauty. To capture that is the sculptor's vision and what he will work hardest on. We will be long gone and her sculpture will still be sitting there, but hopefully with a look of happiness and not a trace of her tragedy.

So a bigger celebration in September? Maybe by then things will have cooled and both brothers can honor their mom surrounded by their families, the Spencers and close friends.

Harry was spotted by the Daily Mail at LAX Airport today, so he is on his way.

Has anyone seen a sketch or a model of what the statue is to look like? All I can think of when I try to visualize it is the monumental statue of Queen Anne in the Long Library of Blenheim Palace. I know it won’t look like that, but I can’t help thinking of it.

I don’t think anyone has seen it yet, apart from the sculptor and the Princes of course. If sketches or models were available the media would have leaped on it for sure. It will be interesting to see what sort of statue it is on the 1st July.

If its going to be such a small ceremony it might have been as well to wait till September.. albeit that's going to be a time when they will be remembering her death..

Do we know what time in the UK the statue will be unveiled. Im sure it will be on the News channels if so

Someone described the sculptor's work as new age and a modern interpretation.

I hope we'll at least be able to tell that it's Diana!

Someone described the sculptor's work as new age and a modern interpretation.

I hope we'll at least be able to tell that it's Diana!

Honeslty Im not hopeful. Diana memorials have not worked out well... Its a shame but so it is.

:flowers:
I think that many people will not be pleased with this sculpture, but only because they have seen hundreds and maybe even thousands of pictures of Diana, plus videos. Also an outside sculpture has to endure weather for hundreds of years, and so the skin may not have the softness and the aesthetic look of Diana's flawless beauty. To capture that is the sculptor's vision and what he will work hardest on. We will be long gone and her sculpture will still be sitting there, but hopefully with a look of happiness and not a trace of her tragedy.
This is a great point! What an incredible challenge for the sculptor! But if William and Harry have approved it, hopefully it will make them happy and then maybe we can all let Diana Rest In Peace.:flowers:

Press release.

Princes William and Harry will attend a small event for the unveiling of the statue of Princess Diana, in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace on 1st July @KensingtonRoyal says. Diana’s close family, sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, & garden designer, Pip Morrison, will also attend.

Press release.

Princes William and Harry will attend a small event for the unveiling of the statue of Princess Diana, in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace on 1st July @KensingtonRoyal says. Diana’s close family, sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, & garden designer, Pip Morrison, will also attend.

Thank you for sharing the details ACO. Let's hope for some glorious summer weather that day.:flowers:

Thank you for sharing the details ACO. Let's hope for some glorious summer weather that day.:flowers:

I hope so but the weather's pretty erratic... It was very very hot about 10 days ago, now its been raining and cool for some days.

According to some of the correspondents there will be very limited press there. Originally they expected a lot but a sudden change has occurred where it will be one still camera, one reporter, and one video person. They are implying Harry pushed for this because he had no interest in working with the rota and the palace agreed.

It also doesn't sound like Kate will attend though KP has not confirmed it. So she might still be included in the family. We shall see.

The thing I remember most about Diana's appearance -- seen in films and such - was how gracefully she moved. Even in exiting a car, a potential sticky wicket for many royal ladies, Diana just glided.

If something of that lithe grace of movement could be captured, that would be lovely.

Back
Top Bottom