Diana Memorabilia, Auctions and Exhibitions [non-Spencer]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowabelle

Royal Highness , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Des Moines
Country
United States
I was thinking we could discuss our collections, offer advice to each other, etc.

First, wouldn't it be great to have a list of "must have" books?

Second, what about the dolls? Do you like your dolls, want more, hate your dolls? (I had two of the Ashton Drake dolls -- Elvis dress, Travolta dress -- and spent TOO much money on them. I thought they were rather cheesy looking -- the tiaras were more beauty queen than Spencer tiara.)

Do you have any fun collectibles, like egg cups, bedroom slippers?

Maybe we could compile a list of what the "real Diana collector" should have.

I have but one piece of Diana memoribilia, but I've had it since I was quite young. It is a photo spread in LIFE magazine about the Prince and Princess of Wales' visit to the United States. It talked about her jewellery, where they would be staying, and I just loved it!
I also some assorted jewellery books but they cover the royal family, not just Diana.

Recommended book?

I think one book for the list would be A Dress for Diana by the Emmanuels. It's a sweet snapshot of those months leading up to the wedding. I enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes photos of making the dress but as one of my interests is in costuming I am biased. It's the first time I'd seen a detailed photo of the shoes and I was amazed at the handwork for those. The finishing details that weren't seen onscreen but are in the photos here are fabulous. I confess I haven't read up on all the latest gossipy books but I usually prefer a straight biography to tell-all books in general. I did read the Andrew Morton book when it first came out years ago. I enjoyed it but still remember to consider the source on all such stories with a huge grain of salt.:D

The royal wedding books are a must - at least one of them, at any rate. It's so sad looking back at that lovely day with the knowledge of how things turned out, but still I think it's worth having the books. So far I think Sarah Bradford's biography is probably the best overall account of Diana's life, but some of the more lightweight books and personal accounts are also interesting.

The royal wedding books are a must - at least one of them, at any rate. It's so sad looking back at that lovely day with the knowledge of how things turned out, but still I think it's worth having the books. So far I think Sarah Bradford's biography is probably the best overall account of Diana's life, but some of the more lightweight books and personal accounts are also interesting.

You're right, the wedding books are marvelous. I agree too when you say that Bradford's biography is the best. It was the first book I read on Diana and I must say that it's the only one that you can trust because no allegation is made, it's all taken from quotes. Tina Brown's is not bad at all but I see it as a personal book, it's very subjective and she says what she thinks, not the simple facts.

A video of the wedding would be nice to add to your collection. Of the dolls, the original Danbury Mint wedding doll was quite good. I think it captured her innocent fresh look better than some of the later editions. It had a good copy of the Spencer tiara. The books about their tours are good.

I really liked Jayne Fincher's book, photographs and stories. She was often the only female photographer with Diana's "posse" and had some interesting insights into her. Jayne wrote that she didn't really want to photograph the funeral because she had been sickened by the role of photographers in Diana's death, but she felt she had to because it was the end of the stories.

Jayne took some lovely photos of her... but then again the Princess rarely photographed badly.

What Diana gave me in inspiration to help and reach out to others and creative motherhood cannot be celebrated with a trinket but a lifetime of thanks for all shining some bright lights in some dark places in all of us.

Well, yes, but this thread is about collecting memorabilia, which is a fun hobby for some people. We have other threads for people to post their memories of Diana; this thread isn't a venue for one-upmanship claims about who Diana means the most to.

Well, yes, but this thread is about collecting memorabilia, which is a fun hobby for some people. We have other threads for people to post their memories of Diana; this thread isn't a venue for one-upmanship claims about who Diana means the most to.

I apologize...that wasn't what I intended. All the books/trinkets/etc I have collected regarding Diana would have no value to me had she not been so inspirational as a human in her own right, not merely royal or famous. Diana is a lot more fun on a pub glass than the Queen Mum on a teacup!

I used to have a lot of royal memorabilia but donated it, sold it or threw it away after Diana died thinking my collecting hobby contributed to the press hounding her to her death.

I would like to someday buy a lock of Diana's hair.

Last edited:
I had in the past lots of different memorabilia of Princess Diana, from magazines to dolls and china.

I have now narrowed my collection down to what I really love and that is Fashion Books of the Princess. I have included in my collection a coffee table book on her death, marriage and her trips to Canada.

Also in this collection of books is "First or Second Hand Accounts" of Royalty.
In the Princess' case that includes Andrew Morton's book and others such as Paul Burrell's, the nanny, etc.

I have many items of Diana memorabilia. I really started being a serious collector at the time of Andrew and Sarah's wedding. My 'must have' Diana items are my older Royal photo books. I have many of the weddings, fashion, etc. They are basically 'picture' books but I love them to death. I still feel a thrill when I come across one that I don't have at a flea market or bookseller. I also have dolls, plates, ornaments as well as commemorative glassware. Basically, I have anything I have ever seen!

Feel free to post photos of your collection here!

I love the early Trevor Hall books about Diana & Charles. Lots of great pictures of the new Princess, her early fashions and light hearted text. I love the Jayne Fincher book.

I've been on a kick of finding early books on ebay. I just picked up one for the Royal Year 1983. I was thrilled to find it has the entire list of Diana's engagements for Summer of 83 to Summer of 84.

I have been collecting Diana memorabilia since 1981 and have most of the books that have been written about her. The one thing that I really want and haven't got is the video 'In Private In Public' - I have searched everywhere and I check ebay most days but no luck so far. I love Diana, always have! I still miss her : (

Princess Diana Collection

Hello,

I search in this Way Princess Diana Fans with Material of Diana want to swap. I collect everything about Diana since 1981. I have over 400 Books Magazine, over 80.000 Clippings and 1200 Original Photos ( all purchased !!! ).

I am looking for an honest Fan of me wants exchange material. Just ask the people their private photo album . Please not Members search the images for their Website looking for it !!! I have no interest.

Especially I look for the time 81-84 ( Australia Tour )

I welcome any sincere mail:wub:

Hello kalay,

I'm afraid we don't allow this forum to be used for transactions. I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere else where you can swap your clippings. Good luck!

Elspeth

I am a great fan of princess Diana and I have hundreds of photos,videos , many Franklin Mint dolls,and plates.I am very proud of the dolls because they are beautiful and they look exactly Diana.It is amazing:flowers:.I have also many books about her.

This letter shows that she wanted Charles to marry her sister so if she wanted so then why she married Charles later???

No, it didn't. It said that she and her brothers and sisters were trying to marry off Sarah and that they thought for awhile that Sarah was going to marry Charles but they were glad that she didn't.

The headlines misquoted the letter.

why they were glad if Sarah didn`t marry Charles??

And this is the gal who's doing this for money, not for charity?

Yes that's her. Seems that Diana will always be a cash cow for some.

Last edited:
IMO Charles wouldn't have been happy married to Sarah either, in fact it probably would have boiled over sooner.

By the way, I understand that Burrell's website is back up.

I think that, in addition to Charles' own personality issues, the Spencers (with the apparent exception of Jane) suffer from volatility with their partners.

I find it interesting that it didn't sell. Perhaps this will have an effect on prices of other Diana memorabilia.:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom