Diana at Home

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oospoiled1

Does anyone remember which street Diana's flat was on (her flat where she lived before marrying Charles)?

*Ashley*

60 Coleherne is a red brick building. Diana's flat was on the corner of Old Brompton Road and the Little Boltons. The Countess of Wessex also lived in the building for a short time before she was married.

If you are really curious about the apartment layout or building, there are a few real estate websites which currently have apartments at Coleherne for rent or purchase. I looked at www.foxtons.co.uk and www.findaproperty.co.uk today and found listings for it.

There are some good photos of Diana near her flat in the "Pictures of Diana Before Her Marriage" thread:
Page 6, wearing green sweater
Page 5, 10/20 post by jun5 - black and white photo
Page 4, 10/17 post by jun5, white high neck blouse w/cardigan

i had no idea Sophie lived Diana's old apartment? how long Sophie lived apartment before she marriage? :huh:

do you have pictures of Sophie live her apartment what years.

Sara Boyce

i cant find Diana's old apartment! i would kill you,ladyjean! for trick me! i would hardly search in websites!

Sara Boyce

Sophie Rhys-Jones leaves her Coleherne Court flat, May 12, 1997:
go to www.corbis.com, search for photos 0000328490-001
0000328490-002
0000328490-004
0000328490-005
She is wearing an aqua knit blazer. One of these photos appears in a book, title is something like "Sophie, a royal wedding souvenir."

----

I am only trying to be helpful w/this information. I don't deserve phrases like I should be killed. If anyone has better information please post it.

Today at www.foxtons.co.uk is at least one listing for an apt. at Coleherne Court. (I would type the full address but it is too long.)

Once into website, choose "A-Z Search", click on 'Earl's Court', at page 5 is a listing for an Old Brompton Road flat, Earls Court, SW5 for 630,000. Go to "Read more" and you will see more photos including one of the exterior.

Diana had a three bedroom apt. This particular one is also three bedroom, and it shows the floor plan, so it is interesting for us die-hard Diana fans to see.

Originally posted by sara1981@Jan 27th, 2004 - 5:07 pm
i had no idea Sophie lived Diana's old apartment? how long Sophie lived apartment before she marriage? :huh:

do you have pictures of Sophie live her apartment what years.

Sara Boyce
Sara,

Sophie did not live in the same flat. Diana owned her flat - and charged her roomies rent (the flat was later sold.)

Colherne Court is a large area of flats .. I believe Sophie lived in another flat in the same area.

Coleherne Court is an apartment block - one huge apartment building. If you look at the photos I suggested above, you see both royal ladies at the same style front door that Coleherne Court has.

I remember when it was learned Sophie lived there, it was perplexing because she has always said she didn't want to be compared to Diana, but the one apartment building she chooses to live in, is this famous one!

Pure coicidence. Lots of famous people have lived in Colherne Court. A good friend of mine still lives there.

Do mean photos of Diana in the apartment? I have never seen one. There is a photo of her roommates posing in it by a piano, taken after the engagement was announced.

According to Andrew Morton's book, Diana bought the apartment in Coleherne Court with the money she inherited from her ??great-grandmother?? Fanny Works, right?
I was watch WE last weekend and they replayed that old cheesy dramatization "Diana: Her True Story". there was a scene in which the Diana role said her parents bought it for her. I was like, What?! NO!!! She bought it herself with money she inherited, right?!:confused:

That drama is so cheezy!!!!!! I totally agree!

Diana did indeed use money left to her from her grandmother to buy the flat, had three roommates who paid rent. From descriptions in Diana bios, it was quite modest with three bedrooms and 1 bathroom but always impeccably clean as Diana was a stickler for cleanliness. A year ago, EBAY had a sofa for sale from the flat. It was well-worn and I don't recall what it sold for.

CasiraghiTrio said:
According to Andrew Morton's book, Diana bought the apartment in Coleherne Court with the money she inherited from her ??great-grandmother?? Fanny Works, right?
I was watch WE last weekend and they replayed that old cheesy dramatization "Diana: Her True Story". there was a scene in which the Diana role said her parents bought it for her. I was like, What?! NO!!! She bought it herself with money she inherited, right?!:confused:

in 1998 when visiting london i went and had a look around the area where diana lived before her marriage and especially to look at coleherne court and stand on the pavement areas she walked when coming out of the flat to be greeted by the media/press every morning during the courtship. i did feel particularly sad as it was only a few months after her death. i took a few lovely photos of the flat and surrounding areas. i will place them on the forum if anyone is interested in having a look.

maryshawn said:
That drama is so cheezy!!!!!! I totally agree!

Diana did indeed use money left to her from her grandmother to buy the flat, had three roommates who paid rent. From descriptions in Diana bios, it was quite modest with three bedrooms and 1 bathroom but always impeccably clean as Diana was a stickler for cleanliness. A year ago, EBAY had a sofa for sale from the flat. It was well-worn and I don't recall what it sold for.

on second thought, I think I recall it was her great-grandmother who left her that money. Fanny Works, the American heiress?

I checked--and you are right! The money was from her inheritance from Fanny Works--who it seems was quite a character and a lovely, interesting person!

CasiraghiTrio said:
on second thought, I think I recall it was her great-grandmother who left her that money. Fanny Works, the American heiress?

You are so lucky to have had the chance to go there--and, yes, if you could, I know I would love to see the photos. In all I've seen, it's hard to make out the building as they're of Diana rushing out or in with a pack of photographers around her! Thank you!:)

adelgal_36 said:
in 1998 when visiting london i went and had a look around the area where diana lived before her marriage and especially to look at coleherne court and stand on the pavement areas she walked when coming out of the flat to be greeted by the media/press every morning during the courtship. i did feel particularly sad as it was only a few months after her death. i took a few lovely photos of the flat and surrounding areas. i will place them on the forum if anyone is interested in having a look.

maryshawn said:
In all I've seen, it's hard to make out the building as they're of Diana rushing out or in with a pack of photographers around her!

It's actually easy to find in person. It is well marked (numbered, huge building) and she lived in Block H, across from the Public Library. Some of those 1980 candid photos have "The Little Boltons" street sign in the background - a good clue as to where the building is, and is also where she sometimes parked her car. It has always been a thrill for me to see the building. What I find sad is there is no indication (plaque, etc.) that she lived there.

I thought her apt. was not on street level but one or two above it. Anyone else think so?

Actually, Grace, Diana wasn't born a Lady. She became one on the death of her grandfather, when her father became 8th Earl Spencer. :)

btsnyder said:
Actually, Grace, Diana wasn't born a Lady. She became one on the death of her grandfather, when her father became 8th Earl Spencer. :)

Yes she was known as The Honourable Diana Spencer I think before her father inherited the late Earl's title.

Thank you! Interesting question. I'd read she would pack up her car in front of the paparazzi than escape through a window to another waiting car. If it wasn't on ground level, I wonder how she got down but I've also read it was an "upper flat," which translated to me it had to be on a higher floor.:confused:

Lady Jean said:
It's actually easy to find in person. It is well marked (numbered, huge building) and she lived in Block H, across from the Public Library. Some of those 1980 candid photos have "The Little Boltons" street sign in the background - a good clue as to where the building is, and is also where she sometimes parked her car. It has always been a thrill for me to see the building. What I find sad is there is no indication (plaque, etc.) that she lived there.

I thought her apt. was not on street level but one or two above it. Anyone else think so?

:)
Lady Jean said:
Today at www.foxtons.co.uk is at least one listing for an apt. at Coleherne Court. (I would type the full address but it is too long.)

Once into website, choose "A-Z Search", click on 'Earl's Court', at page 5 is a listing for an Old Brompton Road flat, Earls Court, SW5 for 630,000. Go to "Read more" and you will see more photos including one of the exterior.

Diana had a three bedroom apt. This particular one is also three bedroom, and it shows the floor plan, so it is interesting for us die-hard Diana fans to see.

It's on page 4 on the website you provided.

I haven't checked any of the realty listings lately but listings for Coleherne flats seems pretty common. I'm also interested in seeing inside Eaton Sq. flats since her mother had one there.

If Diana's flat was on the ground floor the photographers would have had a field day!

That site is really interesting! Thank you! I went through it and found the listing. Appreciate the help as it was really fascinating to me.:)

THis is coming from my view as an American tourist.... the Earls Court area where the apt. is, I believe is a very, very nice area but not as elite as Belgravia or Mayfair and others. I didn't feel intimidated walking around there or taking pictures, while I felt that way around streets like Walton St. or Wilton Crescent. I think the neighborhood is very Diana - it is just right, elegant and down-to-earth. Of course I could be wrong - I look forward to hearing what other people have to say about the neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom