Diana and Sophie, Countess of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than coloring, I don't think there was much resemblance between Diana and Sophie.

I agree that they probably had little to do with one another, due to the timeline.

Diana [...] would have always outshone Sophie.

I don't think so. Sophie was a seriously beautiful young woman in the days she was dating Edward. Still is. She has matured elegantly. Perhaps there would be fans of Diana that would have been jealous of their idol's pre-eminence, but all-in-all I think Sophie would have had those who liked her and there would be others who would like Diana, and those who would like both, or neither.

Maybe Sophie didn't care. They often look alike, too bad for Sophie. Diana was first.

Sophie probably didn't - her focus seems to have always been squarely on her family. Diana's fans seem to care, though. What is the significance of Diana 'being first'? Diana could have taken lessons from Sophie, as it turns out. IMO Sophie comports herself in a way that it would have been nice for Diana to so have done. If Diana had kept her personal life private and proceeded with dignity and grace - what a different story it would have been for her, her sons, her nation.

Curious why you say that its 'too bad for Sophie' to look like Diana? Superficially they do but in reality Sophie's looks are very different from Diana's.

Sophie was fortunate to have more stability and a husband who didn't have a lover.

As we know, she didn't have a husband who had a lover - initially. She wound up making other choices and fell in love elsewhere - and that started the thread unravelling.

As for Sophie, never assume I'd say. One never knows the private trials ar tribulations of anyone. You assume - as do I - that all is well with Sophie, but that is because she is a discreet woman who keeps her life secure with clear boundaries. As it happens we know that Sophie has had a enormously difficult time around her pregnancies - but we as the public have never heard her complaints.

Last edited:
As much as I adored Diana, I tend to think that she wouldn't spend much time around someone she perceived as being competition for the media attention. I always felt that Diana deliberately dressed to take the attention away from other members of the royal family. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seemed she wanted to be the star of the show, and that's why she was fine with Fergie. Fergie got some attention from the media but usually not the good kind. Side by side with Diana, there was no comparison.

You know, I think Diana would've really liked The Countess of Wessex. Diana was going through a lot when Sophie first came on the royal scene in the 90's but I would like to think they would've built up a friendship over the years.

I don't think Diana would've tried to steal the spotlight from Sophie in anyway. I don't think she would have done that to Sophie. I also don't think they would be competing against each other either.

I think Diana tried to be the best Princess of Wales she could be. She dressed well because it went with the job and also Diana mentioned in an interview she did with Charles in the 80's that Charles liked Diana to dress well and he actually took a great interest in her wardrobe. I did think Diana stood out a bit more amongst members of the royal family. Sometimes I think that happened because of Diana's youth and her style was a little more updated. Some of the other royals used to dress older for their age for some reason. I don't think Diana dressed to the nines to hurt her in-laws.

You know, I think Diana would've really liked The Countess of Wessex. Diana was going through a lot when Sophie first came on the royal scene in the 90's but I would like to think they would've built up a friendship over the years.

I don't think Diana would've tried to steal the spotlight from Sophie in anyway. I don't think she would have done that to Sophie. I also don't think they would be competing against each other either.

I think Diana tried to be the best Princess of Wales she could be. She dressed well because it went with the job and also Diana mentioned in an interview she did with Charles in the 80's that Charles liked Diana to dress well and he actually took a great interest in her wardrobe. I did think Diana stood out a bit more amongst members of the royal family. Sometimes I think that happened because of Diana's youth and her style was a little more updated. Some of the other royals used to dress older for their age for some reason. I don't think Diana dressed to the nines to hurt her in-laws.
Agree with all said here! I think Diana and Sophie care/cared about the same causes, although they are different people. I think Sophie would have been a good friend for Diana. Diana, Sophie, and Cathrine would have made a good trio of friends. I also can imagine Diana doting on Louise.

If Diana didn't dress well she would off gotten bagged out for it. She was also a very tall and pretty woman she was going to stand out no matter what. And as someone else pointed out her fashions were more up to date then most of the other Royal Ladies. The press are the ones who made the huge deal about her clothes and what she wore. Like all women she liked to look nice and she had a position she had to dress well for. I think her and Sophie would have gotten along, Diana and Edward were said to be good friends. I think Diana served as a great what not to do and Edward was very careful with Sophie. She has turned out to be a wonderful addition to the Royal Family and she and Edward seem very happy together.

Meadow;1484145 Diana and Edward were said to be good friends. I think Diana served as a great what not to do and Edward was very careful with Sophie. She has turned out to be a wonderful addition to the Royal Family and she and Edward seem very happy together.[/QUOTE said:
Edward said as much in their pre wedding interview- that he was friends with Diana, and that he took his time with Sophie so their marriage did not go south like his brother's.

There was an article from 1993 or 1994 that was written about Sophie's first time at Buckingham Palace, and it stated that Diana came in to see "who was replacing her" (words to that effect). Of course it's an article and there are often not true, nor are they ever "ver batim", but it probably did have some truth to it. It said that Diana met Sophie and took an immediate disliking to her, simply because she felt she was being replaced. Of course there was no way a girlfriend of Edward's would ever replace the girlfriend/wife of Charles, not just because of status but because of the fact that hardly anyone knew who Edward was. Diana also apparently was very rude to Sophie, particularly regarding her "common" upbringing, which apparently caused Sophie to leave the room very upset. I imagine Diana was bitter toward any woman in the family, but more so to Sophie because of the comparisons physically between them.

I think initially Diana would not have liked Sophie, and she perhaps would have dragged Sarah into her "hate Sophie" camp, but overtime she would have probably grown to like her and enjoy her company. She would have perhaps seen that Sophie was not going to steal her limelight and that she was just content to be with the man she fell for. I could see Diana perhaps resenting Sophie slightly that she and Edward got off much lighter in the pressure factor, but she would have hopefully seen how happy they were together and been happy for them.

It's very difficult to say really, but it's a shame we will never find out. It's also why it's lovely to see Catherine and Sophie being friendly, particularly when Louise is involved. It was lovely of William to pick Louise as one of his bridesmaids, even if it was perhaps to ensure a family member was in the group.

Yeah I remember that article and as far as I can recall Princess Anne apparently told Diana she had been a downright bitch towards Sophie. If it is not true it makes at least a good tale.

As soon as Edward and Sophie's relationship became known to be serious, Sophie was already being talked of as the "savior of the Royal Family." At that time, very negative stories about Diana were coming out, particularly the stories about the various men in her life. Sophie's profile was being boosted in the press, and her similarity to Diana and differences from her were being written about in a very positive light. With Diana being the insecure person that she was, I can't see her ever being good friends with Sophie. Had Diana lived, I can see her acting well with Sophie in public and being cordial in private. However, I think that Diana's need to be loved by the public would have eventually led to her briefing reporters against Sophie. What would have worked against this outcome would have been if Diana had found lasting love and more causes to engage her kind and passionate heart. No doubt she would have been kind to Edward and Sophie's children, because she loved children. However, I don't think that she would have seen them much. Her life would have moved more and more from the Royal orbit, particularly if she had married again.

I think Diana's insecurity would have made any sort of close relationship with Sophie very difficult. Sophie's transition into the royal family has not been easy, particularly in the early years, but she has really grown into it. It's clear that the Queen really appreciates Sophie and I think Diana would've found that hard to take.

I actually think Diana would've had an even worse time with Kate and Harry's future spouse. I doubt very much that she would've found being bumped to second place in her sons' affections anything other than incredibly hard to take.

I suppose it's all hypothetical though, really.

I think Diana as was, would've had jealousy issues with Sophie, as well as Catherine. I've always hoped though that if she had had a longer life she would have found a healthy, lasting relationship with a new man, and gotten some counseling and perhaps medication to help her with her issues. Some seems circumstantial, and helpful through counseling, but she's always struck me as probable bipolar. I think that with treatment, she could have gotten to a better place mentally, to where she could try to take Sophie under her wing and protect her from making the same mistakes, instead of seeing her as competition. And then, in time, to lovingly let go of her sons as they find spouses, welcoming Catherine and Harry's future wife.

Diana really didn't know Sophia. It's hard to say what would have happened. Maybe they would have become friends. I know that this is slightly off-topic but does Sophie have any type of relationship with Sarah?

Last edited:
The only person that knew the story of what happened is Sophie so maybe one day Sophie will share what actually happened that time.

Diana had a lot of issues, but she did come through for many causes and charities. To be honest, looking at Sophie, her hairstyle and all seems to be copying Diana, but it could be just a coincidence. It would not serve Sophie well to try to be a copy of Diana, and she didn't try.
If Diana had issues with Sophie, perhaps it was between the two of them.
Purrs,
Pookie

Diana really didn't know Sophia. It's hard to say what would have happened. Maybe they would have become friends. I know that this is slightly off-topic but does Sophie have any type of relationship with Sarah?

I think the only time sarah abd sophie were together in public was with edward and andrew in the order of the garter

Sophie married into the family in 1999 and Diana died in 1997. Although the wider family would have known Sophie, it wasn't like today, when Catherine attended ceremonial ahead of the engagement. I probably would describe the relationship as "nodding in passing" and nothing more.

Also the BRF at the time were tricky so Sophie would have concentrated on being positive with HMQ and DoE rather than pally with Diana, who was heading for the divorce court.

Actualy Sophie was quite close with royal family since very beginning, since around 1994, there are photos of her attending different occassions, swimming on vacations (1995) with royal family etc. I think Catherine was kept away from royal family much longer than Sophie (mostly because Kate was very young when she met William, compared with Sophie).
I'm sure they knew each other (they both attended Lady Sarah Chatto wedding in 1994, and on that occassion, someone took one pic of both ladies standing together, I think only picture known to us, showing them both together), but if there was actually any kind of "relationship" it's really hard to tell. Could be that Diana felt a bit "jealous" or thretend by Sophie, after all she was divorced from Charles, and lost many of her privileges. But it's rather normal human feeling...

Last edited:
Actually Sophie was quite close with royal family since very beginning, since around 1994, there are photos of her attending different occassions, swimming on vacations (1995) with royal family etc. I think Catherine was kept away from royal family much longer than Sophie (mostly because Kate was very young when she met William, compared with Sophie).
I'm sure they knew each other (they both attended Lady Sarah Chatto wedding in 1994, and on that occassion, someone took one pic of both ladies standing together, I think only picture known to us, showing them both together), but if there was actually any kind of "relationship" it's really hard to tell. Could be that Diana felt a bit "jealous" or thretend by Sophie, after all she was divorced from Charles, and lost many of her privileges. But it's rather normal human feeling...

Interesting post,I agree with most of what you said!
I just wanted to add that I believe that William had tried to keep Catherine out of the spotlight for as long as possible to protect her from the paparazzi and try to give her the chance to see his life and really think about joining the family before she makes a decision that will make her unhappy-with Diana the wedding was too soon and too hurried,William wanted to make sure not to repeat the mistakes of his parents.
I do not know,but for some reason I believe that Sophie gets on well with most of the people in the BRF.She has a balanced personality and does not want to be in the center of attention, she is a confident lady with a discreet and rather conservative lifestyle while Diana and Sarah were more rebellious and liked getting attention.

Diana and Sophie are very very different characters while Diana and Sarah have more in common IMO. They both have a compassionate nature and they are/were very devoted mothers,but they had some issues with finding a balanced lifestyle and creating a good and long-lasting relationship with men,at least that is the impression that I get.
While we can not know how Diana would have accepted Sophie,Catherine or any of Harry´s girlfriends, I hope that Sarah will find a way to get a happy life and build up a better reputation...

Last edited:
Main thing is atleast Sophie gets on well with Diana kids and Im sure it would be the same with Diana and Sophie kids.

I don't think diana was jeluos of sophie, when sophie intro in the family she just was eduard's girlfriend and diana still was the charles's wife.

Really, if diana be alive today she sure would be kind and nice with sophie's kids, anne and diana had a really bad bar relasionship but diana leved peter and zara.

I can see Diana doing something like what the OP said, especially if what she said to Tiggy was true. But the snobbery seems like it coukd come from Princess Margaret Anne or Diana.
Also though the comments were rude and b--chy, I don't see it causing Sophie to want to pack and go home. Maybe leave the room for a minute but not turn and flee.

Diana and Sophie:
https://images5.fanpop.com/image/ph...ish-royal-family-fashion-30612520-493-700.png

https://www.helpfreetheearth.com/img/Diana's double pic.jpg

https://static3.imagecollect.com/preview/560/d12baa84214894e

I think Sophie would never want to make the same errors Diana.
They are due to have found a few times. Perhaps they exchanged a few words, but that's all. And it seems to me that sympathized with each other.
I think Diana never saw Sophie as "competition" ... especially because the eyes were still turned to her.

It is not known how Sophie's relationship with Sarah. But do not seem to be very arrivals. Perhaps they found a few times ..

But it seems to me that Sophie gets along with Camilla, Kate and Anne.

Last edited by a moderator:
The press, no doubt, raked up the whole issue about the physical similarity between Diana and Sophie once Sophie's engagement to Edward was announced (1999?). However, I think the two women were very different individuals, and never really "competing".

Muriel, I agree that Diana and Sophie are very different individuals.
There may be some similarities.
Even if both ladies were exactly the same age and had attended the same boarding school, would the press write about who had the best handwriting?

I think Sophie would never want to make the same errors Diana.
They are due to have found a few times. Perhaps they exchanged a few words, but that's all. And it seems to me that sympathized with each other.
I think Diana never saw Sophie as "competition" ... especially because the eyes were still turned to her.

No, there was no "competition" between the two ladies. Sophie, had nothing but great things to say about Diana in her and Edward's interview before their wedding.

Did Diana and Sophie know each other?

So it is definate that Diana and Sophie did know each other?
Of course! Even though Sophie and Edward didn't marry until 1999, Sophie was around the family for years before that and they even attended certain events at the same time, notably the wedding of Lady Sarah Chatto

Last edited:
According to the book written by "Madam Vasso" who tape recorded conversations
with the Duchess of York, Sarah said that she and Diana laughed at how Sophie
was trying to imitate Diana. Diana called Sophie "her double". And Sophie, in her pre-wedding interview, claimed to be unable to distinguish her photo from Diana's.

So, in the beginning at least, Sophie was playing up her resemblance to Diana and Diana and Sarah were amused/creeped out by it.

The Duke and Duchess of York separated in 1992 and divorced in 1996.
The Prince and Princess of Wales separated in 1992 and divorced in 1996.

The relationship between Sophie Rhys-Jones and Prince Edward gradually became serious in 1994 and would lead to their engagement and marriage, five years later. That means that Sophie and Edward engaged and married seven years (!) after the separations and three years after the divorces of Diana and Sarah.

This means that the first and careful steps of Sophie in the royal family took place when Diana and Sarah were both already side-tracked and on their way towards a formal divorce. It seems most unlikely to me that the both off them, in the middle of the ruins of their own spectacularly wrecked marriages, would mock and giggle young and insecure Sophie for her appearances.

Last edited:
Just want to add that the press during Diana/early Sophie was basically the same press that we have to day. So there was a lot of garbage reporting about their relationship. Put it through that filter, folks.

Back
Top Bottom