Diana and Sophie, Countess of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diana and Sophie are cousins

So it is definate that Diana and Sophie did know each other?

Diana and Sophie looked like because they were cousins in the same way she was with the Duchess of York and Prince Charles himself. In August 2007, the New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston, Massachusetts, published Richard K. Evans's The Ancestry of Diana, Princess of Wales, for Twelve Generations, a comprehensive account of the Princess's forebears in all lines, including:

• James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn, an ancestor of Sarah, Duchess of York and Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester
• William Cavendish, 3rd Duke of Devonshire, an ancestor of Charles, Prince of Wales
• Robert Molesworth, 1st Viscount Molesworth, an ancestor of Sophie, Countess of Wessex

It certainly explains the eery similiarity with Sophie.

I think you are stretching here, Viscount Molesworth was born in 1656, to claim similarities through that tenuous connection means that very many members of the public should also look like Sophie! :ROFLMAO: Diana was not a full cousin to Charles or Sarah. Most of us could probably claim to be a cousin 36 times removed to a cousin 24 times removed! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
• James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn, an ancestor of Sarah, Duchess of York and Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester
• William Cavendish, 3rd Duke of Devonshire, an ancestor of Charles, Prince of Wales
• Robert Molesworth, 1st Viscount Molesworth, an ancestor of Sophie, Countess of Wessex

It certainly explains the eery similiarity with Sophie.

Shouldn't you look for female ancestors for both Sophie and Diana share a definately female look? The Duchess of Abercorn, the Duchess of Devonshire or Viscountess Molesworth come immediately to mind? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Edit: before anyone feels the need to send me a PM: Yes, I am sure these ladies existed because I doubt the three gentleman named above produced their children singlehanded...:D

Sometimes quite distant cousins can share a resemblance.:flowers:

:ROFLMAO: I think you are stretching here, Viscount Molesworth was born in 1656, to claim similarities through that tenuous connection means that very many members of the public should also look like Sophie! :ROFLMAO: Diana was not a full cousin to Charles or Sarah. Most of us could probably claim to be a cousin 36 times removed to a cousin 24 times removed! :ROFLMAO:

Diana and Sophie looked like because they were cousins in the same way she was with the Duchess of York and Prince Charles himself.

By that reasoning Diana should have looked like the Duchess of York (and I should look like Camilla, my distant cousin, but I don't). My guess is that most English people (excluding recent immigrants) are related and if you mix up the DNA enough times, like a deck of cards, you'll get similarities, some of which are striking.

Sometimes quite distant cousins can share a resemblance.:flowers:
True but 325 years apart, do we even have an accurate portrait from such a time, were they not all prettied up?

When I was in England earlier this year, I noted how all the men and all the women look the same. I put in down to cultural distinctions. I saw hundreds of women that looked like Diana and Sophie, roughtly albeit. But makeup and hair stylist many could do either.

Well when newspapers started to compare Kate and Diana, who have absolutely nothing alike (or just the height), it showed how everybody tries to compare anyone to Diana (another example : Carla Bruni during her trip to England).

By that reasoning Diana should have looked like the Duchess of York (and I should look like Camilla, my distant cousin, but I don't). My guess is that most English people (excluding recent immigrants) are related and if you mix up the DNA enough times, like a deck of cards, you'll get similarities, some of which are striking.

The DNAs weren´t that mixed up, it is really only fairly recently that nobility married out of nobility. And royalty married royalty. Most were very closely related for hundreds and hundreds of years.
About family resemblance, if you have ever visited the Duke of Bedford´s stately home and looked at the family portraits you will see that for some hundreds of years the male members of the family were very alike and the Dukedom didn´t always go from father to son.
When Prince Edward first appeared with Sophie I quite often thought that the photographs were of Princess Diana and only after looking closely could I see the difference. Different figures and style of dressing but their faces are
very alike.

it's interesing what people see. i never have seen even the smallest resemblance between sophie and diana other than hair colour.

I notice the resemblance most if a picture is taken from the side or at a distance. Like Diana, Sophie has a not-button-like nose (how's that for diplomacy) and a pointy chin.

it's interesing what people see. i never have seen even the smallest resemblance between sophie and diana other than hair colour.

Tall and blonde with similar facial features. That is it. The did not even know one another did they? Think about comparisons; Princess Mary and Marie of Demnark. Princess Grace and Charlene. People always awant to draw comparisons and measure one princess against the other.

There are pictures where Sophie does look like Diana. They did meet on at least a couple of occasions. Once was tea with the Queen, and the other was at a wedding in London--either Viscount Linley's or Lady Sarah Chatto's. In fact, there's a picture taken of Diana and Sophie very close together.

People do always want to draw comparisons and they shouldn't because every body is different, they may look similar, but that is probably the furthest it goes.
In some ways I feel sorry for Sophie, because she came into the family as Diana was leaving, this would have created a "princess replacing a princess" comparison.

Tall and blonde with similar facial features. That is it.

Sophie's not too tall, only around 5.5. Diana was really tall, that's for sure.

I never thought these two women look alike. Comparisons and speculation on their relationship are for the press to sell papers IMO.:cool:

Any time you travel to a given country -- and I lived in Europe and have traveled pretty widely, so I've had this experience often -- you'll note that its people often seem to have a certain "look". Closer observation and analysis will reveal that they don't all look alike, but there are usually enough of them who seem to that the phenomenon will appear to be quite striking. The UK is a smallish island nation; I wouldn't be surprised to learn that its inhabitants share much more of their DNA than those of some other nations do. Geneticist Brian Sykes, who has done much work on British historical DNA analysis, would probably have some interesting comments on this subject.

Interesting you should say that, Vittoria. My mother mentioned to a well-traveled friend about how a lady of English descent whom they both knew who"looks like Lady Diana." The well-traveled friend replied, "There are a lot of 'Lady Dianas in Britain." I come from a place that's made up mostly of Scots immigrants. A friend from Toronto visited and said, "I can't believe this. Everybody looks the same." :)

-- you'll note that its people often seem to have a certain "look". Closer observation and analysis will reveal that they don't all look alike, but there are usually enough of them who seem to that the phenomenon will appear to be quite striking.

Hello everyone this is my first post.

I just read this entire thread and I can sum up my opinion simply.

S Wessex tried to look,dress, gesture, pose like Diana and continued this for a while. I am sure it would utterly drive Diana crazy. If S Wessex actually thought that anybody on the planet thought she was replacing Diana she would have to be delusional. It is not like she was marrying Prince Charles.

I used to like Prince Edward but don't really know what he's up to now. I think the basic person on the street would have little clue who she was, especially in US. I just can't warm up to anybody who plots to get into a royal marriage. Copying Diana was her thing to be noticed I believe.

Hi, Hissy and welcome!

I personally don't think that Sophie was ever trying to copy Diana, per se. However, Diana set a very good example of the public role of royalty -- her personal charisma mixed with the ability to be genuinely concerned with those she was visiting (sick, downtrodden, etc). I imagine that it would be difficult not to try to emulate some of these characteristics simply because they were splashed all over the media for everyone to see.

And I see nothing wrong with Sophie taking the best bits of all her role models (HM, The Princess Royal, Diana) into consideration when crafting a public persona of her own. I just don't think that she set out to be a carbon copy of anybody, that's all. :flowers:

As far as what Edward is up to...he and Sophie seemed to have settled nicely into royal duties and parenthood versus trying to maintain outside careers which seemed to garner them nothing but trouble and bad publicity. They know that theirs are supporting roles and I think they add a great deal to the overall reach of the monarchy in Great Britain in that respect.

S Wessex tried to look,dress, gesture, pose like Diana and continued this for a while.

No evidence for this. You are assuming knowledge of Sophie's intentions. No evidence that she so intended.

If S Wessex actually thought that anybody on the planet thought she was replacing Diana she would have to be delusional.

She didn't think that. In fact she seems to have actively resisted that suggestion that she do that. We have her words to that effect.

I just can't warm up to anybody who plots to get into a royal marriage.

Then I assume you are not a Diana fan.

Personally I believe it. I heard it years ago from a woman who worked for the Queen, and since than I have heard it from many mouths independently.

I have to agree. Maybe not in all particulars (though maybe - it is too human to be too far off), but there is something about the image of the Queen and Queen Mother sitting around - all the females - it just 'sounds' legit, the way women do. Diana may not have been a snob but that would not have been the point of what she was doing - jealousy prods us in strange ways. It all fits.

Sophie is a very attractive woman - the resemblance to Diana is blond hair and good looks. Were Sophie to dress elegantly, maintain a model-like svelte figure and 'work the crowd' and the press with smiles - she'd be another Diana. That she is not 'another Diana' - as popular, as adored, as fussed over - is significant and when analyzed reveals a lot about why 'celebrity' exists with one person and not another. (It has nothing to do with intrinsic 'charisma' or 'worthiness').

Why is Sophie not popular with the British people? Because she married Edward. If she married William she would be the most popular woman in Britain [...]

I agree with your analysis of this couple. You've given me some great insights into why they seem to be so side-lined.

IMO The British people are very susceptible to spin and rumours. They believe tabloid stories.

Its an impression I am getting, as well. As you say elsewhere, its all about whether a Royal is getting 'good press' or 'bad press' - and Edward has definitely gotten consistent 'bad press' ever since he decided he did not want to be a soldier. He also actually worked for a living, had a job, developed his own company. Though Charles has certainly also demonstrated entrepeneurial attributes like Edward, somehow Edward gets belittled and ridiculed, as does Charles but Charles is the Prince of Wales so cannot be side-lined.

The reason I started looking more closely at this couple was precisely because of very cutting and denigrating comments made by some British folks about them. I have come to feel that the British are like the 'in-laws' for the Royal Family - and the litany usually is: not good enough, don't work enough, don't sacrifice enough - who do they think they are? - and on it goes.

I love British people. I adore British intellect. I love British humor. I adore British culture. I love British wit - but man-o-man are the British ever hard on each other. Its more than just toughness, its cutting. I have to remind myself that we may speak the same language and may somewhat resemble each other culturally - but there are serious differences in sensibilities. I'm seeing it especially around the issues of Royalty, but also 'celebrity' and how people are 'held' or seen. Its a significant difference. Interesting.

[...]from what I know of Edward and Sophie and I have been told this by many people, including a European royal, that Edward and Sophie are the best royals in Britain, great people and certainly would be the most popular if people bothered to know them. Our loss I suppose.

I have picked up on that. Edward and Sophie are good friends to European Royalty - one sees them showing up 'as friends' - not official British reps - in many European Royal situations. Here I find someone saying it! When one watches them there is something very centered about them and you sense that here are good people. It is a loss that they are not respected more in their own country IMO.

Last edited:
S Wessex tried to look,dress, gesture, pose like Diana and continued this for a while. I am sure it would utterly drive Diana crazy.

How have you come to the conclusion that Sophie copied Diana?

If S Wessex actually thought that anybody on the planet thought she was replacing Diana she would have to be delusional. It is not like she was marrying Prince Charles.

What are you trying to say here?

I used to like Prince Edward but don't really know what he's up to now. I think the basic person on the street would have little clue who she was, especially in US. I just can't warm up to anybody who plots to get into a royal marriage. Copying Diana was her thing to be noticed I believe.

If you look at the current events thread, you can see exactly what they are up to.
I don't see why anybody in the US needs to know about Edward and Sophie, they have tried for a quiet life and they have succeded.

Plots to get into a royal marriage?
Sophie, to me, is the exact opposite of Diana which is why she has become The Queens favourite daughter-in-law.

I have to agree. Maybe not in all particulars (though maybe - it is too human to be too far off), but there is something about the image of the Queen and Queen Mother sitting around - all the females - it just 'sounds' legit, the way women do. Diana may not have been a snob but that would not have been the point of what she was doing - jealousy prods us in strange ways. It all fits.

I also believe the story.
Diana in certain moods could be vicious (remember the Tiggy story? More of the same).

Sophie is a very attractive woman - the resemblance to Diana is blond hair and good looks. Were Sophie to dress elegantly, maintain a model-like svelte figure and 'work the crowd' and the press with smiles - she'd be another Diana. That she is not 'another Diana' - as popular, as adored, as fussed over - is significant and when analyzed reveals a lot about why 'celebrity' exists with one person and not another. (It has nothing to do with intrinsic 'charisma' or 'worthiness').
Agreed. Diana had a definite flair for clothes, and what is called 'presence.'
Sophie is attractive but in an ordinary way; I don't think she could ever be the focus of all eyes, like Diana was.

As for Edward and Sophie, they do not now attract much press in the US, but in the past he was perceived as arrogant and temperamental, and she was viewed as a social climber.

In fact, Sophie was criticized for waiting around for years to get a proposal, in much the same way that Kate was dubbed "Waity Caity."
(Now all that is forgotten now that Kate has the ring, and I am seeing more and more news articles about her).

... I just can't warm up to anybody who plots to get into a royal marriage. Copying Diana was her thing to be noticed I believe.
So, Sophie succeeded in marrying Prince Edward because she "copied Diana"?
In other words, you're suggesting that Edward wanted to marry a Diana clone. That's certainly a different - and imaginative - spin on events!

...S Wessex tried to look,dress, gesture, pose like Diana and continued this for a while. I am sure it would utterly drive Diana crazy...
I don't see where you are coming from. In the eleven years Sophie's been a member of the family I have not once seen her trying to imitate Diana. I remember seeing an interview once where she praised Diana and said she didn't see the resemblance between her and Diana. Sophie is her own person just as Diana was.

IMO, there are some photos where Sophie's resemblance to the late Diana is uncanny. The one that comes to mind was one of their wedding photos -- exiting the church, I believe. I had not paid much attention to their engagement/wedding, but when I saw that photo, I think I gasped.

So, Sophie succeeded in marrying Prince Edward because she "copied Diana"?
In other words, you're suggesting that Edward wanted to marry a Diana clone. That's certainly a different - and imaginative - spin on events!

Well said! ;) Dear God, their resemblance wasn't even striking. Only their colours and the hair length were similar... Why are people imagining things?! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom