Diana and Sarah's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTruth

Heir Presumptive
City
Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower
Country
France
I was wondering about the relationship between Sarah Ferguson and Diana. They seemed to have similar experiences like mariage and then divorce. I've heard that they went together on a trip in France all alone, with no men. They stayed in the residence "Clos de Meaux" in the Var, owned by Paddy MAC NALLY. And the best in story is the almost absence of photo. The paparazzi had some big problems to take shots; even helicopter tours were organized to fly over the private property. But no luck, Di and Fergie were too smart for them this time :cool: !

Here's a video on it (sorry only in french :neutral: ) :
Lady di et Sarah vacances cote azur - Ina - Archives pour tous

(sorry for the bad english ...)

They were very good friends, although Sarah said that when Diana died they weren't speaking to each other. I don't remember the *exact* story but it had to do with Sarah borrowing Diana's shoes and then Sarah said she caught warts from wearing them. Sarah told the WRONG person, although if it was media or a mutual friend, I don't know. Either way, Diana found out and reportedly didn't speak to her after that. They had grown up together in the same social circle and Diana is given the credit for introducing Andrew to Sarah.

angiep said:
They were very good friends, although Sarah said that when Diana died they weren't speaking to each other. I don't remember the *exact* story but it had to do with Sarah borrowing Diana's shoes and then Sarah said she caught warts from wearing them. Sarah told the WRONG person, although if it was media or a mutual friend, I don't know. Either way, Diana found out and reportedly didn't speak to her after that. They had grown up together in the same social circle and Diana is given the credit for introducing Andrew to Sarah.
Sarah included the story in her autobiography. Whle I think Diana way overreacted, I can't say I blame her for having been upset. There was absolutely no reason for Sarah to have mentioned it, other than to embarass Diana, and as a publishing 'hook'. I don't think anyone wants to have a little, unflattering tidbit like that revealed by a friend in a book.

For the record, they didn't grow up together. Sarah and Diana met when Charles and Diana were dating. Even if they had met as children, they wouldn't have socialized: they lived in different counties, went to different boarding schools, and moved in different social circles.

sassie said:
Sarah included the story in her autobiography. Whle I think Diana way overreacted, I can't say I blame her for having been upset. There was absolutely no reason for Sarah to have mentioned it, other than to embarass Diana, and as a publishing 'hook'. I don't think anyone wants to have a little, unflattering tidbit like that revealed by a friend in a book.

For the record, they didn't grow up together. Sarah and Diana met when Charles and Diana were dating. Even if they had met as children, they wouldn't have socialized: they lived in different counties, went to different boarding schools, and moved in different social circles.

I remember reading somewhere that Sarah and Diana were cousins and met and new each other during the 70s.

sirhon11234 said:
I remember reading somewhere that Sarah and Diana were cousins and met and new each other during the 70s.
They might be distant cousins...not sure of the lineage there. Diana said she met Sarah when she started dating Charles. Sarah said they met when they were younger. But, in all the accounts of both their lives, there's never been any indication that they were friends before Charles and Diana got together, so I tend to believe Diana's version. Of course, there's the difference between being friends and having simply met a few times-and I think Diana was referring to their friendship beginning in 1980/1981.

The guy who was taped talking to Diana in the Squidgygate tapes kept warning Diana about not letting Sarah ride her coattails and Diana assured him that she wasn't going to let Sarah fool her. I believe it was in 1989?

It was a little surprising then to see the two ladies later pal around like buddies. Once the tape was released, I imagine there was some coldness between the two since it appeared from the conversation that Diana thought Sarah was taking advantage of her. If she really thought that, then I don't know how genuine her friendship with Sarah really was.

I always thought the same thing, Ysbel. Diana and Sarah always seemed to have a competition as opposed to a true friendship. Partly, I think, because they had such contrasting personalities: Diana was manipulative and Sarah was straightforward. But, sadly, I think that Diana had very few true friendships over the course of her life-she tended to abandon those who wanted the normal give and take of friendship.

Diana had alot of friends but yes, she had very few true "friends". I think Lucia Flecha de Lima was the true friend she could count on.

angiep said:

I heard the same story, about Sarah borrowing Diana's shoes and getting planter's warts. But what a silly thing to get mad at each other over! But I also heard that after Sarah's seperation that they didn't speak much, as Sarah wasn't a member of the royal family and Diana was (for the time).

Yes it's stupid even more when you look at some pics where they seemed to have fun together ... :neutral:

I wonder if Sarah felt sorry at all when Diana died... Or if Diana ever had any remorse.

She probably felt sorry because when somebody dies even if you don't like that person you feel a little sad (well that's what I think). I'm sure both of them today would think that story was just a silly thing.

At a skiing holiday where Fergie, Diana, Charles and Andrew (I think) were, Diana had a cold and didn't want to go out. Charles was convinced that she was faking it and told her : 'Why can't you be like Sarah ?', who was on that day quite 'jolly'. IMO, it's since that moment the 2 were in competition. I remember reading that Fergie was playing tricks that Diana would even thought of, she would persuad her to do it with her but in the end Fergie would ran off and leave Diana in trouble.That's why perhaps Diana was getting tired of paying for Sarah's bad jokes.

I think Diana and Sarah had a good relationship

In 1997 the Princess gave a birthday party for her friend David Tang, the Hong Kong entrepreneur, and told him he could ask anyone he wanted.
"Anyone?" he asked.
"Anyone."
"All right, then—Fergie."
"Absolutely not," Diana replied, and would not be moved.

In 1997 the Princess gave a birthday party for her friend David Tang, the Hong Kong entrepreneur, and told him he could ask anyone he wanted.
"Anyone?" he asked.
"Anyone."
"All right, then—Fergie."
"Absolutely not," Diana replied, and would not be moved.

I think that totally describes the state of mind in what both women were. Sarah would have, I think, replied the same thing.

I had read that Diana wanted to bring Sarah and Andrew together and hoped that the relationship would lead to marriage and then Diana felt she would have an ally in the Windsor family. I can't say that this is the truth though as it was in a magazine article and we all know they always carry the true story.;) To me, Diana's and Sarah's friendship seemed to cool dramatically after Sarah's scandalous pictures with John Bryan. I didn't know about the plantar's wart story.

Yes, she definaltely encourage their relationship but if they (Sarah and Andrew) didn't like each other, no marriage would have been possible so she didn't force them, IMO. Another thing was said about her. Fergie was suspected to be more in love of the Royal Family than Andrew. She made her friend by looking at the PR of the person. It's why she never complained about going hiking, fishing, etc. because it was with the RF. Diana couldn't understand that a girl who was like her could enjoy those activities.

I do like to think that, had Diana lived, the two eventually would have reconciled.

Another story taken from the book Fergie has written I think. A night the 2 girls got out and took the limo of the Queen Mum. Diana was the chauffer, with the cap on her head and Sarah was imitating the Queen Mum at the back. Does anyone has already read this ? I remember smiling about that.

In recent Hello! magazine, Sarah Ferguson says how she remembers Diana :'She was the most wonderful lady and a great friend and I miss her desperately. Every day, I think about her. I miss her humour, I miss her laughter'

Well if someone is totally sick and tired of hearing about Sarah, then any attention Sarah gets in the press is too much whether or not Sarah invites it.

I don't think anything would change in the papers or in people's opinions about Sarah if she suddenly stops inviting attention.

I think Sarah's arrival on the scene coincided with Diana's post natal depression and concerns about her marriage. Both the press and the royals compared Sarah's freshness and exuberance at teh time with Diana's moping. Diana felt indequate becasue she didn't sparkle like Sarah and Sarah felt always less beautiful and slim than Diana.
I think they did manage to acheive a real frjendship despite these insecurities. Fergie once described how the day that the 'toesucking' photos were published, Diana went and sat with her at Balmoral. Later that week Diana's squidgygate tapes were published and Fergie thanked her for gettting her photos off the front pages.

I can't help but feel that even with this, Fergie is trying to bring attention to herself. She should have just declined discreetly instead of issuing a press release.

It doesn't seem from that Daily Mail article that she issued a real press release. It seems more like "friends" saying it off the record.
I thought it was odd too that she declined the invitation, but at the same time, I suppose going to the service would have been harder for some of Diana's friends. Everyone deals with grief differently and maybe Sarah felt like she dealt with things already and going to this service would have been counter-productive for her moving-on process. But of course I'm sure there is some truth in her feeling inappropriate to attend royal events.

It doesn't seem from that Daily Mail article that she issued a real press release. It seems more like "friends" saying it off the record.
I thought it was odd too that she declined the invitation, but at the same time, I suppose going to the service would have been harder for some of Diana's friends. Everyone deals with grief differently and maybe Sarah felt like she dealt with things already and going to this service would have been counter-productive for her moving-on process. But of course I'm sure there is some truth in her feeling inappropriate to attend royal events.

I understand that attending an event with the Royal Family there when you're divorced mustn't be a piece of cake. Those pics show brilliantly how uneasy it can be :
ImageShack - Hosting :: 52113484pr8.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 52113482qb4.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 52113481ty6.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 0000318727005tg4.jpg

Sarah was Diana's friend and I think she really felt sad when she died, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom