Diana and Sarah's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing that could have set Diana off was that it was reported that once upon a time, Charles remarked to Diana "why can't you be more like Sarah?" ?

I cant blame her for that. No woman who is already insecure in her marriage wants to be told she should be more like a very different woman. And Sarah was so obviously unsuitable for the RF in all sorts of ways...

For a while there too, Diana did find closeness and companionship with Sarah. I do think that should Diana had lived, eventually the friendship would have been mended with both women being divorced from their spouses and "on their own" so to speak. For a while there, I think Diana's friendship with Sarah made her time in the fold of of BRF more tolerable and the two of them did get up to some silly antics which showed they did have fun together. Diana, though, was mercurial when it came to her relationships with friends. That's not surprising considering the turmoil she was going through at the time.

Sarah, perhaps, was a bit too spontaneous and even sometimes too goofy for the staid, stiff upper lip constraint that the British elite are used to. What was seen at first as a "breath of fresh air" ended up turning into a "royal behaving badly". [...]

Humans are so deliciously human aren't they? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
For a while there too, Diana did find closeness and companionship with Sarah. I do think that should Diana had lived, eventually the friendship would have been mended with both women being divorced from their spouses and "on their own" so to speak. For a while there, I think Diana's friendship with Sarah made her time in the fold of of BRF more tolerable and the two of them did get up to some silly antics which showed they did have fun together. Diana, though, was mercurial when it came to her relationships with friends. That's not surprising considering the turmoil she was going through at the time.

Sarah, perhaps, was a bit too spontaneous and even sometimes too goofy for the staid, stiff upper lip constraint that the British elite are used to. What was seen at first as a "breath of fresh air" ended up turning into a "royal behaving badly". [...]

Humans are so deliciously human aren't they? :D
[...]
I don't know if Diana would have forgiven her sister in law, perhaps eventually they would have been a bit friendly again but the really close friendship was gone. Once Di felt that someone was exploiting her, she turned vey cold.. and I think she began to see that Sarah had used her friendhip to get into t he RF, and had then led her into foolish antics ... and that made her cut Sarah off. Even at the time, Sarah was a mistake...

[...]
I don't know if Diana would have forgiven her sister in law, perhaps eventually they would have been a bit friendly again but the really close friendship was gone. Once Di felt that someone was exploiting her, she turned vey cold.. and I think she began to see that Sarah had used her friendhip to get into t he RF, and had then led her into foolish antics ... and that made her cut Sarah off. Even at the time, Sarah was a mistake...

[...]

I've had many friendships myself that, as time passed and divorce and moving away happened, the relationships just aren't the same as they once were. It happens to all of us. I think the main gist is that once upon a time, Sarah and Diana were close friends. Then they weren't. Diana's death ended *any* relationship. Sometimes that just happens with sister-in-laws.

Several posts from yesterday and today that are unrelated to Diana and Sarah's friendship have been removed or edited. Please check the title of the thread prior to posting to ensure that comments are made in the correct thread.

There's a photo of Andrew and Fergie as children. Was there ever one of Sarah with Diana when they were children. The earliest photo I saw of them together was when Diana was pregnant with William.

[...]

I've had many friendships myself that, as time passed and divorce and moving away happened, the relationships just aren't the same as they once were. It happens to all of us. I think the main gist is that once upon a time, Sarah and Diana were close friends. Then they weren't. Diana's death ended *any* relationship. Sometimes that just happens with sister-in-laws.

Obviously Diana's death ended any relationship.. however theirs was a stormy and on off relationship and IMO the faults weren't all on Dis side. Sarah wanted out of the RF and she and Diana discussed leaving their husbands at one stage.. but Diana's position was more complicated and it was Sarah who first walked out on Andrew. She remained friendly with Diana for a time but I think that Di was justifiably wary of her.. since now Sarah's still trying to hang in to the RF and maintain a relationship with them...

:previous: There is a photo of them at a polo match prior to Diana's marriage to Charles in this article. Diana in a floral top and yellow overalls. Sarah is wearing a blue shirt with a yellow sweater tied around her shoulders.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...-sarah-ferguson-duchess-of-york-relationship/

I think there's a photo of Sarah with Diana visiting Brittania.. which I think was when she and Andy started dating.. and there's one where Sarah's wearing a coat she borrowed from Diana. Diana was friendly with her and I think she tried to encourage her to date Andrew because she hoped that having a sister in law of her own age in the family would mean she had a companion who was friendly, shared her interests, and helped her to have a bit of fun.. I think in the early years, she did enjoy S's company, and found her friends more lively than Charles' set.. but she soon realized that Sarah and her friends were a bit too much Hooray Henry larkers and that it didn't look good for her image to be seen with them fooling around so she withdrew a bit from being seen with Sarah - in public. Diana had had a fairly staid life, living quietly in London after leaving finishing school and she never had much of a girly time of fun.. then she married Charles who was a lot older and didn't find his friends very congenial.. so for a time I think she did enjoy larking about with Fergie...

I wonder if Diana had met Paddy McNally, Fergie's boyfriend (pre Andrew) and apparently they were serious but he did not want to get married.

Sarah Ferguson talking about Princess Diana:

Back
Top Bottom