Diana and Non-British Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Presumably if it was a private visit and Fab wanted to have tea with her, she could do so.. Diana was no longer a full working royal and Fabiola was a dowager queen.....

I imagine that she liked Diana.. and didnt want to cut her...

Last edited:
Presumably if it was a private visit and Fab wanted to have tea with her, she could do so.. Diana was no longer a full working royal and Fabiola was a dowager queen.....

But Queen Paola and Princess Astrid were also present, which makes me wonder who actually sent the invite.

Well, I guess the past several posts kind of indicate that Diana, asking to attend
Queen Fabiola's funeral, personally and not through the "Firm" or the Foreign Office, as a VIP and divorced Princess of Wales, probably wouldn't have happened. :D

But then again, we're just supposing. It is true that after their marriage and leaving their personal careers, Sophie and Edward pretty much were the representatives of the House of Windsor at foreign royal affairs.

What am I missing here?! Fabiola died in 2014 and Diana in 1997; how could she possibly have attended Fabiola's funeral 17 years after her death?

So perhaps "the old lady" wasn't as judgmental as you accuse her of being. She was at least feisty enough to ignore BP where their blacklisted Golden Girl was concerned.

Bravo Fabiola!

You can just say bravo if you wish but ask Paola and Albert if Fabiola, or even Baudouin, were not highly judgmental toward them regarding a possible divorce. It's not accusation, it's a fact.

By several accounts Fabiola was not as nice as it seemed, especially regarding some religious matters.

What am I missing here?! Fabiola died in 2014 and Diana in 1997; how could she possibly have attended Fabiola's funeral 17 years after her death?

Its a "what if" scenario. No-one from the BRF attended Fabiola's funeral.. but the question is "if Diana had been alive, would she have been allowed to go" .

so getting all this confusing picture of Fabiola. I vaguely remember her when I was a child.. reading a bit about her.. and i thought that she was very religious and basically a kindly lady.. but others are saying that she was very judgmental about divorce...Im glad if she did have Diana to tea, and was friendly with her....

I have 1 biography of Fabiola and more articles than I can count. Many people feel that because she was a devout Catholic she was some stern, judgmental person. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes her values were mandated by the teachings of the Church and the social class into which she was born.

But she was also fiercely independent, loved to laugh, highly intelligent. She moved out of the family palace when she was barely out of her teens. She got a job, seeking training as a nurse. She wrote a series of fairy stories for children that became a best seller and would have made her independently wealthy. Instead she donated the proceeds to charity.

All this in Franco's Spain of the 1950's.

She was not perfect...but she lived her life by the precepts of the Gospel as she was bound to do. Her attitude toward Diana is a perfect example.

You can just say bravo if you wish but ask Paola and Albert if Fabiola, or even Baudouin, were not highly judgmental toward them regarding a possible divorce. It's not accusation, it's a fact.

By several accounts Fabiola was not as nice as it seemed, especially regarding some religious matters.
But she clearly did not blacklist Diana.. and was not "against" Diana who was at that time separated from Charles...so if she was so judgemental about divorce, why not shun Diana who had talked to the press and who was moving towards a divorce from Charles.

But she clearly did not blacklist Diana.. and was not "against" Diana who was at that time separated from Charles...so if she was so judgemental about divorce, why not shun Diana who had talked to the press and who was moving towards a divorce from Charles.

You just made your own point. she was separated but not divorced

Between 1992 and 1996 Diana was still very much a member of the BRF and received as such. Again i just quoted Prince Michael of Greece who said that European courts were appaled by her behaviour and sided with Charles during the War of the Wales.

You can be polite in public with a member of foreign Royal House and disagree in private with her/his behaviour.

I have 1 biography of Fabiola and more articles than I can count. Many people feel that because she was a devout Catholic she was some stern, judgmental person. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes her values were mandated by the teachings of the Church and the social class into which she was born.

But she was also fiercely independent, loved to laugh, highly intelligent. She moved out of the family palace when she was barely out of her teens. She got a job, seeking training as a nurse. She wrote a series of fairy stories for children that became a best seller and would have made her independently wealthy. Instead she donated the proceeds to charity.

All this in Franco's Spain of the 1950's.

She was not perfect...but she lived her life by the precepts of the Gospel as she was bound to do. Her attitude toward Diana is a perfect example.

It is not so much a question of Fabiola being judgemental, but rather that, as I said, she was weird at times. For example, she never wore any royal order other than orders bestowed by the Pope because she probably thought secular monarchs lacked the authority to award them. That was definitely awkward in state visits for example. And then, although I understand her point of view, the way she behaved at King Baudouin's funeral was really odd to me.

A different and probably more serious question was her political and social positions. For example, she seemed at times close to or supportive of Franco's fascist regime.

Anyway going back on topic, I don't see much in common between her and Diana. She would definitely disapprove of Diana's affairs and lifestyle as she disapproved of Albert's and Paola's.

Last edited:
Was it Fabiola or Paola who invited Diana for tea? Paola at the time (falll of 1993) was already the queen consort, so I assume she would be in charge.

The tea was at Laeken. Paola and Albert lived at Belvédère Castle (not at Laeken), but I don't know if Fabiola had already moved to Stuyvenberg Castle at the time or was still living at Laeken.

From what I remember, Diana was in Belgium in the fall of 1993 and specifically ask to meet with Fabiola....perhaps to as a courtesy call to the recently widowed queen and to discuss mutual charitable interests.

The British Foreign Office privately discouraged the visit. Fabiola ignoted them and graciously extended the offer.

The invitation definitely came from Fabiola.

Last edited:
You just made your own point. she was separated but not divorced

Between 1992 and 1996 Diana was still very much a member of the BRF and received as such. Again i just quoted Prince Michael of Greece who said that European courts were appaled by her behaviour and sided with Charles during the War of the Wales.

You can be polite in public with a member of foreign Royal House and disagree in private with her/his behaviour.

but that doesn't make sense. If they were appalled by her behaviour.. why treat her with politeness? Diana was still married to Charles but it was known that she had collaborated with Morton and so surely the ERF's were scandalised.

but that doesn't make sense. If they were appalled by her behaviour.. why treat her with politeness? Diana was still married to Charles but it was known that she had collaborated with Morton and so surely the ERF's were scandalised.

It's called diplomacy, and as i said Diana was still at that time HRH the Princess of Wales.
Of course her time after the divorce was tragically short, but i guess the attitude from crowned heads across Europe would have been far less welcoming.

Possibly on the Official visit by the Prince and Princess of Wales to Spain in April 1987?

I would think so as the Infantas Elena and Cristina greeted the Prince and Princess of Wales at the welcome ceremony as Prince Felipe I believe was in the USA?

Princess Diana at Grace of Monaco's funeral:

Back
Top Bottom