The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't remember hearing about Diana buying clothes for Charles. Charles is reported to be pretty particular about his clothing.

LaRae

Old 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've read in quite a few places where after the marriage, Diana set about to beef up Charles' wardrobe and get him into stuff like soft, pastel sweaters and a more casual look. I'm sure he made some changes but Charles is a man that dresses impecciibly according to his taste and doesn't follow fashion trends.

Diana always had the "mothering" and "caretaking" bug even as a child so it wasn't unusual for her to want to take care of the people close to her. Actually I'd even go as far as to state that Diana would rather take care of other people than to have them take care of her as far as physical needs. Emotionally, she craved someone that doted on her.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Majesty

She did persuade him to buy less formal clothes, and that was one reason why Stephen Barry was cool with her.. Charles, to please her, dressed a bit more casually.....
Old 05-26-2018, 12:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

IMO, Hewitt behaved honorable considering how he was treated.

If Hewitt was a cad he could have written 'his story' and included all her letters in this book as soon as she dumped him.
He did not.

Or he could have written his book after the Morton's book came out.
He did not.

After the Panorama interview he could have come forward and stated, 'I did not let her down. I was true to her even after our relationship ended. I will publish my side of the story. I will say nothing more until then.'
He did not.

Or after the Panorama interview, he could have kept quiet and in complete secrecy, had the book published with all her letters in it.
He did not.

Anytime between 1991-1996, he could have simultaneously launched this book in the U.K; U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand without releasing early copies or excerpts to the media.
He did not do this.

He had several opportunities to write the book and include her letters in the book during her lifetime.
He did not.
It's rare as hen's teeth to read a comment that is not scathing toward Hewitt.

www.theguardian.com/books/1999/oct/29/2
Old 05-26-2018, 03:04 AM
Majesty

Why woud there be kndly comments about a man who behaved the way he has done? He has exploited his connextion with Diana for years, he has used their relationship to make money.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:08 AM
Aristocracy

Since every shred connected to the letters and money is well documented, at times it can get a little repetitive. I get the fact that many are offended by the prospect of a sale.

I haven't read 'Love and War', but for ex, if he wasn't treated with much in the way of dignity when she grew weary of him, maybe there are circumstances that deserve to be seen as a footnote of some kind.
____
Quote:
"According to Ken Wharfe, who tried to dissuade her from sending the letters, Diana felt Hewitt was less in love than he claimed, while hoping to snare a princess. Her feeling at the time was that he was "getting too serious". Letters boosted his morale overseas with the result that he talked openly about "spending the rest of their lives together".

Once he returned to England, face to face, something had radically changed. Alarmed, he called Ken in near panic, who was not about to intervene on his behalf. She discovered from Richard Kay that using a satellite phone in the Gulf to call, meant others nearby could listen, which rankled her. It must have been a nightmare of a homecoming for Hewitt to find himself put out to pasture unexpectedly, standing there in shock from it all. Soon, she would no longer receive his calls at Kensington.

Ken advised her to request a full return of the letters. When she attempted that he told her he wanted to keep them as a remembrance."
____
Old 05-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Majesty

I cant' beelive anyone would defend Hewitts behaviour.. He was indiscreet abuot their affair, using a journalist's phone to call Diana in the Gulf.. hinting about the affair and eventaualy trying to use their love letters to blackmail her.. and in the end, publicly telling about the affair.. when it could have done her harm. And since she's died he spent many years, as a few others - in makng a career out of talttling on TV about her.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Hewitt cashed in for years, betraying the woman he claimed to love.
No gentleman would have acted as he did.
I can't think of any way to excuse his behavior.

There are people who will do anything, however low, for money, and Hewitt is one of them.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:04 AM
Majesty

True he really is despicable.. Staff being disloyal is bad enough, friends being disloyal is worse, but for someone whom Diana had a close intimate relationship, who claimed to love her.. to do waht J H did is unbelievable.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC he also fanned the flames when the ugly rumor arose that Harry was his son and not Charles's.

He's despicable.

LaRae
Old 05-26-2018, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
IIRC he also fanned the flames when the ugly rumor arose that Harry was his son and not Charles's.

He's despicable.

LaRae
I'm not sure that is true. I thought Hewitt was always firm that he didn't meet Diana until 1986.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm pretty sure he was quite sly about it for quite some time. Instead of coming out with firm denials.

LaRae
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I'm not sure that is true. I thought Hewitt was always firm that he didn't meet Diana until 1986.
I was shown an article in the "Telegraph" which showed Diana greeting a handsome young man -who was clearly Harry- in (cadet?) Guard's uniform. The the penny dropped!!! It couldn't possibly have been grown up Harry. It wasn't and nowhere did it say it was. The handsome young man Diana was greeting warmly was her brother, Charles.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I had that "Hey that's Harry" moment in this thread "Family Resemblances":
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1935042
(Yes, it's a young P.Philip )
Old 05-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Hewitt waffled about that, implying he was confused about timelines, etc. That was one of the worst things he did, creating suspicion about paternity.
Disgusting behavior from a lowlife.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Hewitt waffled about that, implying he was confused about timelines, etc. That was one of the worst things he did, creating suspicion about paternity.
Disgusting behavior from a lowlife.
He was hypnotised on some tv programme and began to imply that his relationship with Diana had begun earlier than he had orginally stated so that maybe he was H's father.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Hewitt was treated badly by Diana as most people she was done with were. But it doesn't excuse the majority of what Hewitt has done. I can excuse the book but not the 2 + decades of selling his relationship with her. Plus he did begin implying he met Diana earlier than 1986.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
He was hypnotised on some RRtv programme and began to imply that his relationship with Diana had begun earlier than he had orginally stated so that maybe he was H's father.
OR he pretended to be hypnotized in order that he didn't have to take responsibility for what he said whilst allegedly being under hypnosis. It may be argued that HAD her been under hypnosis he wouldn't have 'implied' anything.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to admit that I bought "Love and War" but wasn't really able to get into reading it so I can't pass an opinion on it yet. Perhaps I should give it another shot?

When a person has had worldwide fame and admiration like Diana did and then her life ended so tragically, people are eager and hungry to find out more and more about this person and there's a market for people that actually knew her, worked for her or were involved with her to present their experiences in the publishing business. Some are well written, informative and serve to allow the public to "know" the subject better. Some are blatantly cashing in and stroking their own egos and padding their pockets doing this. Hewitt, to me, falls in the latter category as some things should remain private. Same with Paul Burrell.

I think my criteria for judging any book that is written by people that knew Diana stems from whether they write objectively or subjectively.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
OR he pretended to be hypnotized in order that he didn't have to take responsibility for what he said whilst allegedly being under hypnosis. It may be argued that HAD her been under hypnosis he wouldn't have 'implied' anything.
well obviously......

Tags
diana princess of wales, extramarital affair, james hewitt, paternity, prince charles, prince harry, prince of wales, princess diana