Diana and James Hewitt

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the book was not a part of returning home, let's highlight the phone calls in the desert and piles of letters for the moment? No book deals happened in Iraq. As I've suggested, I don't believe there was a deep abiding love from her, even if he been 'the perfect gentleman'.

So imagine if Diana had decided she would spend the rest of her life with Hewitt, 'in spite' of public fallout to her from this, (assuming she loved him). It would have required a different type of spirit, determination, and braveness to do such a thing. To not be consumed by what the press says in the short term, including the purported waving of letters around. Ignoring everyone that implored her NOT to write him, for abject fear that one day, someone would be reading her private thoughts.

Her reputation would have continued to flourish, and I guarantee you she would have been widely applauded for doing so, in a short time. That kind of tenacity, gutsiness in the face of adversity, is uncommon.

I really dont know what you are saying. Diana had to be afraid of the press because the press were always watching her and the press put out the stories that made her beloved and popular. She needed popular support because her marriage was shaky and if she wanted to end it, she clearly needed the support of the public to ensure that the RF gave her a good deal when she divorced. She couldn't leave Charles and move in with J H if that's what you appear to be saying. And I doubt she would have been "applauded" had she done so, even if people were over all sympathetic to her for her bad marriage. JH clearly wasn't a particularly admirable man. He was known as a womanizer, was a brave soldier but not that bright and continually failed promotion exams and was willing to take presents from his royal girlfriend.
I am not understanding you very well but if you're saying that Diana would have been applauded had she just walked out of her marriage to hitch up with J Hewitt, absolutely not. She wasn't an ordinary woman. She couldn't just leave and take her kids, and she would not have just ditched the children to live iwth him...
She was scared of her affair with him getting out because she didn't know how the press and public would react. Luckily for her, she was popular with many people and knowing of Charles' affair, by and large the public were willing to forgive her when she had one relationship with a single man, during her unhappy marriage..
And the way that the afair became known to the public did disgust many people that he was so cheap as to sell their story for money.. so people thought "OK she had this affair with him.. and was let down badly by him..." so while they forgave her the affair, I don't think the public would have liked the idea of her leaving her marriage for a man who behaved so badly....
people thought "OK she had an affair, thought he was an OK guy, and he gave her some consolation for Charles cheating on her, but he's turned out ot be a piece of work who sold her out. Why would a beautiful woman like Diana want to marry a man who'd let her down as much as Charles did?"

Last edited:
..Diana had to be afraid of the press because the press were always watching her and the press put out the stories that made her beloved and popular. She needed popular support because her marriage was shaky and if she wanted to end it, she clearly needed the support of the public to ensure that the RF gave her a good deal when she divorced. She couldn't leave Charles and move in with J H if that's what you appear to be saying. And I doubt she would have been "applauded" had she done so, even if people were over all sympathetic to her for her bad marriage. JH clearly wasn't a particularly admirable man. He was known as a womanizer, was a brave soldier but not that bright and continually failed promotion exams and was willing to take presents from his royal girlfriend.
I am not understanding you very well but if you're saying that Diana would have been applauded had she just walked out of her marriage to hitch up with J Hewitt, absolutely not. She wasn't an ordinary woman. She couldn't just leave and take her kids, and she would not have just ditched the children to live iwth him...

You point out that Diana had to tread lightly on a number of fronts, with the need to maintain her position and in the good graces of the RF if a divorce took shape. While that may be true, why was this a central theme for her looking ahead? To be consumed with a financial settlement while she was an international presence.. of course, all that did turn out very well, but in the end was it worth throwing away a long term relationship?

The failed exams..yet not knowing the extent of being shabbily treated by superiors. Fail grades on the Battlefield portion..one gets the feeling they might have failed someone like Patton in the same situation. I tend to doubt the exams were conducted in the most unbiased manner..

She was scared of her affair with him getting out because she didn't know how the press and public would react. Luckily for her, she was popular with many people and knowing of Charles' affair, by and large the public were willing to forgive her when she had one relationship with a single man, during her unhappy marriage..
And the way that the afair became known to the public did disgust many people that he was so cheap as to sell their story for money.. so people thought "OK she had this affair with him.. and was let down badly by him..." so while they forgave her the affair, I don't think the public would have liked the idea of her leaving her marriage for a man who behaved so badly....

Tough to know where things would stand today had he not quickly transformed into the archetype fall guy lover made infamous through the lens of Anna Pasternak. Maybe it's a stretch to say that if they'd hitched up and she temporarily ditched the children ;)...things might have been decidedly different.

Last edited:
You point out that Diana had to tread lightly on a number of fronts, with the need to maintain her position and in the good graces of the RF if a divorce took shape. While that may be true, why was this a central theme for her looking ahead? To be consumed with a financial settlement while she was an international presence.. of course, all that did turn out very well, but in the end was it worth throwing away a long term relationship?

The failed exams..yet not knowing the extent of being shabbily treated by superiors. Fail grades on the Battlefield portion..one gets the feeling they might have failed someone like Patton in the same situation. I tend to doubt the exams were conducted in the most unbiased manner..

Tough to know where things would stand today had he not quickly transformed into the archetype fall guy lover made infamous through the lens of Anna Pasternak. Maybe it's a stretch to say that if they'd hitched up and she temporarily ditched the children ;)...things might have been decidedly different.
Why woudl Diana "ditch her children" to "hitch up" with a man who had shown that whatever he might say, he didn't care much for her? Diana had her faults but she would never have left her children.. and while she was still married to Charles she could not just walk out and take them. And Hewitts conduct while in the Gulf showed where he was heading.. that he was indiscreet about their affair and might accidentally reveal it to the world.. and then soon, he DID deliberately reveal it to the world for money. A man like that may get girlfriends, but he's not going to get any woman staying with him, when he shows so plainly that he's not to be trusted.
Fall guy lover? It sounds as if he was preyed upon by Pasternak and that she wrote a book outing the affiar and making him look bad. That was not the case. He used her to write a book for him, for which he was paid.

Diana would never have left her children, she recalled how her mother lost much custody because she moved on to another man. She would never have risked custody by running away with Hewitt. He obviously did not care for Diana since he ultimately sold her out. He had taken up with wealthy women after Diana I think Hewitt was a user. Hewitt had a fiancee at one time but she ditched him.

He obviously did not care for Diana since he ultimately sold her out. He had taken up with wealthy women after Diana I think Hewitt was a user. Hewitt had a fiancee at one time but she ditched him.

In Ken Wharfe's 'Closely Guarded Secret', he constructs a picture of Hewitt in considerable pain after being frozen out of the relationship. Which runs counter to the customary way men act, who purportedly 'don't care'.

Had he chosen to date women of a lower socio-economic class, would that have done much in the way of redemption for him...probably very little.

Last edited:
In Ken Wharfe's 'Closely Guarded Secret', he constructs a picture of Hewitt in considerable pain after being frozen out of the relationship. Which runs counter to the customary way men act, who purportedly 'don't care'.

Had he chosen to date women of a lower socio-economic class, would that have done much in the way of redemption for him...probably very little.

Why would he date "women of a lower class"? Hewitt seems to have gone for girls who were able to do something for him.. he let Diana "deck him out from head to foot", and he used his affair with her to make money for many years.

He may well have been upset when Diana ended their relationship, but all he did after that was try to make money out of it - he leaked the details of their relationship to the press, told Anna Pasternak all about it so that she could write the book and tried to sell the letters that Diana had sent him. No-one enjoys being dumped, but someone who actually cared about their ex-partner would never have behaved like that,

He may well have been upset when Diana ended their relationship, but all he did after that was try to make money out of it - he leaked the details of their relationship to the press, told Anna Pasternak all about it so that she could write the book and tried to sell the letters that Diana had sent him. No-one enjoys being dumped, but someone who actually cared about their ex-partner would never have behaved like that,

I doubt he was upset in any real sense. Diana broke with him the first time because he put his army career ahead of being with her. Perhaps that was unfair of her, but its the sort of thing that happens - that people argue about careers and relationships and split up.

I doubt if Hewitt really went off to Germany sobbing miserably. And when they got together again, when he was in the Gulf, its clear that he was thinking of selling her out then. he used to wave "blueys" (letters from home) from her around, publicly and borrowed a journalists phone to call her. So he was either incredibly indiscreet or was testing the water about publicizing the affair for money. If he had cared for her, he would have kept quiet about the relationship, but clearly he did not do that because there was money to be made from it. And since her death he went on trying ot use his past affair iwth her as a stepping stone ot money making schemes.

If he had cared for her, he would have kept quiet about the relationship, but clearly he did not do that because there was money to be made from it. And since her death he went on trying ot use his past affair iwth her as a stepping stone ot money making schemes.

Such were the opportunities for him, that we come away with an impression of him accruing deposits, to eventually perch himself somewhere, of upper crust manner. With his streams of revenue, there should be at least one? showplace home to occupy when the time came. And yet somehow, despite all of the work, it didn't happen..

Very seldom is the mention made of their relationship where she came and went mostly undetected, while staying in Devon at his family cottage. Some town folk attest to her being there as far back as 1983. Other than 'Princess In Love', no real history, pics, film, exists of their time there together. Maybe it's just me, that sees it as a pretty cool place for her to hang out after the divorce, despite being less extravagant than St. Tropez.

https://www.primelocation.com/discover/property-news/celebrity/lady-di-james-hewitt-s-love-nest-for-sale/

Last edited:
Hewitt in effect used Diana for his own "fame" (which was caused by selling her out IMO) and $$$. He did not manage to keep the money he earned he is living with his mother now. After Diana broke up with him, he kept company of wealthy women.

Such were the opportunities for him, that we come away with an impression of him accruing deposits, to eventually perch himself somewhere, of upper crust manner. With his streams of revenue, there should be at least one? showplace home to occupy when the time came. And yet somehow, despite all of the work, it didn't happen..

Very seldom is the mention made of their relationship where she came and went mostly undetected, while staying in Devon at his family cottage. Some town folk attest to her being there as far back as 1983. Other than 'Princess In Love', no real history, pics, film, exists of their time there together. Maybe it's just me, that sees it as a pretty cool place for her to hang out after the divorce, despite being less extravagant than St. Tropez.

https://www.primelocation.com/discover/property-news/celebrity/lady-di-james-hewitt-s-love-nest-for-sale/

sorry what on earht do you mean? Why would she "hang out" in Hewitts cottage after her divorce, when she had split with Hewitt by that time. and you do realise that if she was seeing him in 1983, that was before she became pregnant with Harry.... are you saying she was involved wiht him before the birth of her second child?

This is gossip. Harry was conceived in December 1983 when Diana and Charles were still together and sharing royal apartments with the rest of the family, celebrating the holidays.Both Charles and Diana planned Harry.

sorry what on earht do you mean? Why would she "hang out" in Hewitts cottage after her divorce, when she had split with Hewitt by that time. and you do realise that if she was seeing him in 1983, that was before she became pregnant with Harry.... are you saying she was involved wiht him before the birth of her second child?

Not me saying, but a Devon person sharing his recollection of events, perhaps mistaken, in the past. Yes of course, Devon cottage became a place she would never set foot in again, once she determined he would be written off. We all live in a world of ideas and beliefs, and some share Diana's belief that either Dodi, Khan, whoever, were infinitely better relationships for her than the one w/ Hewitt. Whether this is true or not, a strong conclusive case hasn't really been made for it.

Last edited:
Not me saying, but a Devon person sharing his recollection of the events, perhaps mistaken, in the past. Yes of course, Devon cottage became a place she would never again set foot in, once she determined he would be written off. We all live in a world of ideas and beliefs, and some share Diana's belief that either Dodi, Khan, whoever, were infinitely better relationships for her than the one w/ Hewitt. Whether this is true or not, a strong conclusive case hasn't really been made for it yet.

I don't believe that Diana ever realized what it takes for a healthy relationship to flourish. There was no good, better or best if there were problems she faced in all of her relationships. Diana, IMO, never reached a stage where she was totally happy and confident in her own skin. Then again, this is a hard plateau for anyone to reach.

Not me saying, but a Devon person sharing their recollection of events, perhaps mistaken, in the past. Yes of course, Devon cottage became a place she would never set foot in again, once she determined he would be written off. We all live in a world of ideas and beliefs, and some share Diana's belief that either Dodi, Khan, whoever, were infinitely better relationships for her than the one w/ Hewitt. Whether this is true or not, a strong conclusive case hasn't really been made for it.

He was the one who wrote himself off. No woman would remain with a man who so shamefully betrayed her for money...
I can't imagine that anyone would think that Hewitts relationship with her, when he tried to sell her love letters, wrote books about her, talked about her for 20 years after her death to make money was in any way a good relationship.
Why would she go to a Devon cottage, owned by the mothers of the man who had been her lover, after the affair was over? Why would anyone think that she would do so???
And why bring up a story that seh was seen at the cottage in 1983 unless there is a hint that she was wiht Hewitt in the first year or 2 of her marriage and before Harry was conceived.

Last edited:
Note to self - to be mindful that the smallest offhand date, time regarding Hewitt, can quickly and easily be interpreted to fuel the notion of paternity.

:bangin:

Last edited:
I just have to look at Harry and that tells me that, without a doubt, Charles is his biological father. :D

I just have to look at Harry and that tells me that, without a doubt, Charles is his biological father. :D

Yep. When looking at Harry and Philip with beards, as one example, the resemblance is striking IMO.

Note to self - to be mindful that the smallest offhand date, time regarding Hewitt, can quickly and easily be interpreted to fuel the notion of paternity.

:bangin:

I dont know what that means. Hewitt is t he one who dropped hints that his affair with Diana started earlier than he had originally stated. He first said that he didn't meet her till after her children were born.. then he twisted the story and hinted that he had met her before Harry's birth and insinuated that that might mean he could be H's father... and said that he'd concealed this at first to protect Diana. He's the one who brought up the possibility that he had been with Diana before her second child was born.. so if people say that Diana was seen at his cottage in 1983, naturally there is reference to the fact that Hewitt hinted he could have started his affar with her earlier.

Absolutely, he has the same close set eyes as Charles, very similar brows and bridge of nose. The resemblance is becoming more obvious as Harry gets older. I am always surprised at those who say they can't see it.

He was the one who wrote himself off. No woman would remain with a man who so shamefully betrayed her for money...
I can't imagine that anyone would think that Hewitts relationship with her, when he tried to sell her love letters, wrote books about her, talked about her for 20 years after her death to make money was in any way a good relationship.
Why would she go to a Devon cottage, owned by the mothers of the man who had been her lover, after the affair was over? Why would anyone think that she would do so???
And why bring up a story that seh was seen at the cottage in 1983 unless there is a hint that she was wiht Hewitt in the first year or 2 of her marriage and before Harry was conceived.

Hewitt claimed the affair with Diana made him unemployable later and he had to try to sell the letters because he was completely without funds.

Hewitt claimed the affair with Diana made him unemployable later and he had to try to sell the letters because he was completely without funds.

Oh poor poor dear, how terrible. Didnt he make enough money selling his story and writing his books? And appearing on TV and being in all kinds of shows.

Are you saying that for Diana to live up to the profound declarations in her letters of a future together.. and that being his wife, would have not only shocked, but appalled you, after the book ? This is what you seem to be saying. That it was mandatory she leave him, not to mention far greener pastures were beckoning. For the sake of argument, let's say she decided one way or another, she would not leave Hewitt, received only 1M in settlement with RF, but was living a nice life, as an Army wife today and they still owned Devon cottage...

None of this appeals to you, if I hear you correctly.

Last edited:
Are you saying that for Diana to live up to the profound declarations in her letters of their future together.. and that being his wife, would have not only shocked, but appalled you, after the book ? This is what you seem to be saying. That it was mandatory she leave him, when far greener pastures were beckoning. For the sake of argument, let's say she decided one way or another, she would not leave Hewitt, received only 1M in settlement with RF, but was living a nice life, as an Army wife today and they still owned Devon cottage...

None of this appeals to you, if I hear you correctly..

Again I really dont know what you are saying. Its not a matter of appealing to me.. Its a matter of Diana's relationship with a man who betrayed her for money. Do you forget that he (as I've now said many times) waved her letters around in public when he was in the Gulf, dropped hints to the press that he was her lover, and then went on to give the story to a writer so that he could make money out of their romance.
What woman would say "Im going to marry THIS guy when I get a divorce?" (this man who knew that our affair had to be kept discreet.. yet went to the Press and told our story to the world? ).
How long would the "nice life" have lasted, since Hewitt seems to have lost every penny he made out of Diana.... With the way he behaved, I should think if she had married him he would have sepnt it all withina year.
he didn't own the cottage, it was his mothers.

Do you forget that he (as I've now said many times) waved her letters around in public when he was in the Gulf, dropped hints to the press that he was her lover, and then went on to give the story to a writer so that he could make money out of their romance.
What woman would say "Im going to marry THIS guy when I get a divorce?" (this man who knew that our affair had to be kept discreet.. yet went to the Press and told our story to the world? ).

Sorry if I missed it, whichever sources can affirm - a particular article you saw with army personnel, author or reporter, who observed the letters..? Thx

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it, whichever sources can affirm - a particular article you saw with army personnel, author or reporter, who observed the letters..? Thx
I dont remember... due to covid and Illness, I dont go out much these days and so cannot easily obtain books.
My recollection is that he borrowed a journalists Phone to call Diana. and that when he got letters from home he would wave them around. I think it was an article by a journalist.. but why would anyone be surprised? Hewitt's made it very clear that he has no scruples about revealing his affair with Diana. he has made it a way of making a living, for the past 20 years. We know that he sold the story to Anna Pasternak who wrote a book and then wrote books himself. He has betrayed Dian over and over again. Do you really think that he was a suitable candidate for her husband?

Hewitt also made very bad investments with the book money, he bought a club or restaurant that tanked, then he went on TV and rambled on (one time filmed in a bath tub). He is broke because of bad investments and it's own fault that he was ostracized. Nobody forced him to confess all to a writer and use Diana in effect to earn $$$. Diana was not seen in Hewitt's "cottage" in 1983. She was staying with the royals for Christmas and was staying in a royal suite with her Husband Charles and Harry was conceived there. Harry looks NOTHING like Hewitt. After Diana, Hewitt was involved with older wealthy women. No way would Diana have married that person.

Last edited:
I dont remember... due to covid and Illness, I dont go out much these days and so cannot easily obtain books.
My recollection is that he borrowed a journalists Phone to call Diana. and that when he got letters from home he would wave them around. I think it was an article by a journalist.. but why would anyone be surprised? Hewitt's made it very clear that he has no scruples about revealing his affair with Diana. he has made it a way of making a living, for the past 20 years. We know that he sold the story to Anna Pasternak who wrote a book and then wrote books himself. He has betrayed Dian over and over again. Do you really think that he was a suitable candidate for her husband?

Something fails to add up in the idea that anyone in his position would be seen waving her correspondence around. Much more likely are soldiers who waited for letters, then go off somewhere quiet, to read by themselves. During this time, Diana was probably aware Hewitt was not reluctant to die in battle, considering it an honor if it happened. But with the possibility moving in that direction it got to where it weighed heavily on her, bringing nerves close to the boiling point. Anna Pasternak attempted to portray this in her book...others can decide if it resonates in some way.
__

"He could not leave her forever when she could now see the faint hope that there might be a separation with Charles. Finally to have the opportunity, then only to lose him, would be unbearable. It could not be. So she wrote to remind him of her love, of their love, to remind him how strong it was and how much it meant to her, how it was keeping both of them alive.'

'Occasionally she would lapse into a fit of despair, crying with great surges of fear and buried angst, but afterwards would feel relieved, emptied. This was necessary to take the pressure off herself, to diffuse the time bomb ticking away inside. She had started to give herself credit for finally trying to understand herself and honour what she wanted. James could sense her struggle and felt proud of her. Letters, which sometimes did not arrive for weeks, were his lifeline. They kept his morale up. As always, he could not share his secret with the men, could not whoop with joy as they did when they received a letter from their wives or girlfriends, but the fact that he could not read bits out loud did not mean he did not savour them every bit as much.. He read, and reread them just as frequently as they did."

Last edited:
James H has proved over 20 years that he has no problem in speaking of his affair with Diana....He has made his living for many years, in going on TV and speaking of the affair, becoming a celebrity because of it.

I do think a lot of people lost interest in him ages ago. His "TV" specials got low ratings and were rather embarrassing especially the one where he was being interviewed in a bathtub. He did have health issues, lost his money in bad investments, and is now living with his mother. I think he is so not a celebrity, just someone who used Diana. The book shows how little he cared for Diana, $$$ came first. Apparently. Diana probably deeply regretted meeting this man.

Back
Top Bottom