Diana and Dodi Statue Unveiled; D&D dolls for sale on eBay (2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowabelle

Royal Highness , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Des Moines
Country
United States
They had these dolls, in holiday clothes, for sale today. The opening bid was $29.99 but nobody had bid on them.

I have never seen a Dodi doll before. (No, I won't be buying them.)

Well, the opening bid might well be $29.95, but who knows how much the reserve is. They could be wanting thousands!

I'm surprised the Diana Fund hasn't sued the dickens out of whoever created that doll.

They looked pretty chintzy.

This Is An Outrage!!!

This is a disgusting outrage!! Making personal profit off of the Princess and whoever was in the car with her smacks of disrespect, greed, and dishonor. I hope poor William and Harry don't hear about this!! I am writing to Ebay to take that abomination off of their auctions!!!

My Note to Ebay!

Message: I recently saw that someone put up for auction a set of dolls that were of Princess Diana and Dodi Al-Fayed. This is GROSS MISTASTE; profiting off of the tragic death of a woman who was hounded to her grave!! I am deeply offended and wish that you would not allow any more of these malicious for profit auctions!!!

i dont like ebay!

but i wont wanted dolls of Diana and Dodi but i would agree with tiaraprin but i dont hates Diana

Sara Boyce

I guess one person's bad taste is another person's memorabilia. (No, I won't be bidding on it.) Where do you draw the line?

What an odd statue.

karla64 said:

That is a tacky memorial to the Princess. Mohammed Al-Fayed is still trying to gain more attention and fame from the Princess' legacy. It is truly disgusting.

Why is she in a "skimpy bikini" frollicking with Al-Fayed's son Dodi? You would think Mr. Al-Fayed would make a more dignified memorial to Diana and his son!

tiaraprin said:
That is a tacky memorial to the Princess. Mohammed Al-Fayed is still trying to gain more attention and fame from the Princess' legacy. It is truly disgusting.

Why is she in a "skimpy bikini" frollicking with Al-Fayed's son Dodi? You would think Mr. Al-Fayed would make a more dignified memorial to Diana and his son!
I second your post. I though the Harrods Gold memorial was the summit but this beat it easily

Another view of the horror:

The owner of the Bronze Age foundry, Mark Kennedy polishes Innocent Victims - a bronze statue of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed, in east London, Wednesday Aug. 24, 2005. Commissioned by Dodi's father, Harrods' owner Mohamed Al Fayed, the sculpture by family friend Bill Mitchell is due to be erected in the famous Knighstbridge department store. (AP Photo/PA, Chris Young)

Attachments

• l1533066.jpg
    l1533066.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 536
I wish the Queen could have that tacky thing removed and destroyed!

tiaraprin said:
I wish the Queen could have that tacky thing removed and destroyed!

I agree but William and harry could have removed too.......because his mother...

karlavm

I guess Harrods won't be getting Royal Warrant from Prince William any time soon, once he starts being able to give them out.

infantaellamaria said:
Tacky! That guy is absolutely tasteless!
Seconded... What a shameless exploitation of the memory of Diana.

Last edited:
I totally agree that this is one of the most "tasteless" things I've ever seen. What was he thinking, besides cashing in on Diana (yet again!). I have no respect for this fellow. And I do believe that the Queen, Charles, William and Harry will not find this amusing!

tiaraprin said:

It's not a skimpy bikini, it's a skimpy dress.

I wonder if his tributes to Diana have ever resulted in increased revenues to his store. I couldn't imagine that it would have any positive impact.

I think Mr. Al-Fayed is having difficulty moving on from his dreams of what might have been.

Really bad taste. I wish someone would actually tell the old man.

the sculptor should be fired. IMO
the satue is nothing more then clishe. I was expecting more .

Ouach. But for just how long were they together - not counting the romantic notion that they might be together for eternity? It's very tacky from Dodi's father to attempt cashing in on his son last affair. And that statue is unflattering to Diana.:eek:

Last edited:
I did not expect more. He is doing as he pleases and I do not think he is cashing in, as was previously posted, he has cash and there is no accounting for taste, this is his.

Anyway, I would not go to Harrods unless you want to see the foodhall, Harvey Nichols is better.

segolen said:
the sculptor should be fired. IMO
the satue is nothing more then clishe. I was expecting more .

I don’t really get why people say it’s bad. The artist made the sculpture as a gift to Dodi’s family, he didn’t just decide to do the sculpture by himself. Also I don’t get why people say it’s “tasteless” because what’s wrong with a sculpture depicting a couple running down the beach and staring lovingly into each other’s eyes?

I like the sculpture and I think it’s sweet and romantic and not tasteless at all. I think that it's a beautiful reminder of the relationship between Dodi and Diana.

The premise of the sculpture is not a tribute, we don't need a statue to honor the memory of Diana and Dodi's relationship. This is Al Fayed's attempt to make even more money. Why isn't this in him home where he can look at the sculpture in private? The fact that he is displaying it in public is to draw attention to his store. Aren't there any trademark laws that protect William & Harry from having their mom exploited? I think it is was commissioned with the wrong intentions in mind.

Well I still refuse to call the statue tacky because when I look at the statute I really don’t see anything wrong! Also of course it was done for some profit but the choice of having it displayed was Al-Fayed's. Although a lot of people think that he is trying so hard to use Diana’s memory to give himself more publicity I think Diana only comes up because she was in the car crash with Dodi and they had a relationship at the time. Maybe Al-Fayed should start putting more attention into his son rather than the couple but I don’t think that Al-Fayed would dip so low as to exploit the death of his own son for press. I think that he had this sculpture made with good intentions.

I see what you mean Grim Lady. But the way Al-Fayed is trying to forever link Diana's memory with his son is tacky and is exploitation. As one man comment on the daily mail website, 'they were boyfriend and girlfriend, not Romeo and Juliette'. He may be grieving his son but why casting his love story with Di in Bronze and exposing it in a shopping mall? And I sorry, but the arrangement is very distastefully. The skimpy dress, Dodi's bare chess, the silly looking bird, even the name... That's the kind of cheesy thing who would grace a Barbara Cartland book.
BTW, I recommend reading the daily mail readers comments, they are hilarious. There is a man advising Al-Fayed to create a slot coin in the statue which would deliver Enia songs at each donation :D :D .

Back
Top Bottom