Diana and Dodi (and Tony Blair)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think she was in love with love...not Charles. Poor dear, she was pushed toward Charles by everyone and then she was pushed toward Dodi by his father. Frankly, she never had a chance to mature.

Aniyda, I for one do not think your reasoning is simplistic. You obviously spent a lot of time reviewing this : as have many of us. I just don't agree with your entire thesis. I think all of us should be a little bit more careful when we disagree with someone and try to avoid pejorative terms.

That being said some of the points that she would not do that XYZ because of her sons, I don't agree with. Diana was not making the wisest decisions around that time. And there was a conflict between she and William after The yacht trip. Truthfully with her children not being happy with the situation, the security issues , Dodi's reputation and his father's motives , in. retrospect it would have been best not to go with him to Paris.

Very sad situation....

I still maintain that I don't trust Tony Blair there's a slightly different version of these events in Campbell's book and clearly Campbell came up with the People's Princess as a public relations tool. Since Tony Blair sold us on these invisible weapons of mass destruction, He can sell anything including ice water to an Eskimo

I think she was in love with love...not Charles. Poor dear, she was pushed toward Charles by everyone and then she was pushed toward Dodi by his father. Frankly, she never had a chance to mature.

Totally agree - she was in love with the idea of love and with no one else ever.

I don't believe he would be so shameless and so reckless to make up a story which involved a famous dead woman in his own biography, merely for the purpose of selling a little more books. He was a former Prime Minister.

Then you don't know Tony Blair.

As others have said, we lived with TB as PM for 10 years. His shamelessness and dishonesty is a proven fact. It would be hard to think of another living person in the UK who is so distrusted and disliked by the public. None of us believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

This is a reply to the claim that I am overrating Diana's commitment to her charity work.

"Nothing gives me greater happiness than trying to help the weakest in this society. It's a goal and, from now on, an essential part of my life. It's a sort of destiny."

When I read these words, actually I more focus on the phase "from now on" and "It's a sort of destiny".

It is not about commitment. Looking for happiness is human being's basic surviving instinct. Usually a person's greatest happiness are from two places -- family life and work. She said "it was a sort of destiny". Whenever she said "destiny", it gives me the feeling that it was not up to her, but her fate. If she believed that she couldn't get the happiness from her family life, then where can she find her happiness? It can only be her work. And she always considered her work was to make people happy, especially the poorest one. No, it is not about commitment, she was just trying to make the best out of what she could have.

And "from now on" ("now" = the summer of 1997), means the belief that she should look for the greatest happiness from her work was not always there, but only come into her mind not long before, which I think indicated that before that summer she still believed she could get the greatest happiness from a marriage, but she gave up now.

That explain why she broke up with Hasnat Khan around that time. She finally believed that a marriage between them was impossible. So seeking the greatest happiness from her work is a second choice after all those "hopes" of her personal life were extinguished. By "hopes" I mean (1) marriage with Hasnat Khan, (2) her "those wishful hopes" for Charles. On July 17, 1997, Charles throwed a big party to celebrate Camilla's coming to 50th age at Highgrove. It was a big blow to her, according to her friend. She talked to her friend "she felt all the darkness in her childhold has come back" and "felt being abandoned again". I think after the divorce, she kept a good relationship with Charles. Very likely she still had some little hopes for Charles. Otherwise she wouldn't have felt so hurt. No hope, no disappointment, right?!

I kind of think she had said those "nothing bring me..." words to herself many times before saying them in that interview. Leaving two men you really love, and going into a relationship (marriage) with a man you don't have too much feeling is not an easy decision. I imagine she'd have been persuading herself many times like "Diana, don't worry too much, you can still get your happiness from your work. You don't have any other choice. It is your destiny." (The reason I said two men here is, her marriage with dodi is equivalent to a marriage gate ticket to Charles and Camilla, that means Charles would leave her ultimately.)

But once she made up her mind, she would carry it through. She was always like that. That explains why merely a hospice plan was enough to buy her -- that is the only place she could seek real happiness, her personal life was too disappointing.

Anyone can utter these words, of course. Even Vladimir Putin can say these words with dry eyes: "Nothing gives me greater happiness than trying to help the weakest in this society. It's a goal and, from now on, an essential part of my life. It's a sort of destiny."

:flowers:

Very likely she still had some little hopes for Charles. Otherwise she wouldn't have felt so hurt. No hope, no disappointment, right?!

I kind of think she had said those "nothing bring me..." words to herself many times before saying them in that interview. Leaving two men you really love, and going into a relationship (marriage) with a man you don't have too much feeling is not an easy decision. I imagine she'd have been persuading herself many times like "Diana, don't worry too much, you can still get your happiness from your work. You don't have any other choice. It is your destiny." (The reason I said two men here is, her marriage with dodi is equivalent to a marriage gate ticket to Charles and Camilla, that means Charles would leave her ultimately.)

I understand everything except this last paragraph. How is marriage to Dodi a marriage gate ticket to Charles and Camilla?
She did not love Dodi --she didn't even know him that long. I really don't think she was planning on marrying him. Princess Diana did not need to marry Dodi or anyone to fund her hospice or any other charity. She had. 17 million of her own. And just her name or as you pointed out , her photograph could generate a lot of money for her charities. After being a confining marriage to a member of the British Royal family, it seemed like she was taking some fledgling steps to try to grow up and discover who she really was. I don't think she was planning to be under the thumb any man.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I still maintain that I don't trust Tony Blair there's a slightly different version of these events in Campbell's book and clearly Campbell came up with the People's Princess as a public relations tool. Since Tony Blair sold us on these invisible weapons of mass destruction, He can sell anything including ice water to an Eskimo

If I have to make myself to believe that theory-- she did that to make Hasnat Khan jealousy. Then first I have to convince myself that Diana was the most shameless person. Not only she wanted to exploit Dodi's feeling to achieve her own purpose, but also she would have the gut to go on using his father's money to support her own charity. And she was the most naive person that she firmly believe Al Fayed, as smart and successful a business man he is, will be so foolish to be used in this way.

You see according Richard Kay, on the phone call on Aug 30, she so firmly believed Al Fayed would fund her hospice plan that, she planed an announcement to give up all her royal duties by the end 1997.

Al Fayed turns about to be such an angel that, he will be willing to support Diana's charity work, even though Diana was using his son to make another man jealousy. And Britain must be an evil country that they turned down this angel's application for nationality two times.

I also have to convince myself that Tony Blair, was not only another most shameless person, but also the cheapest, and most stupid person. He was so cheap that for a little more money, he would tell such a lie about his future king's mother. And he was so stupid that, he didn't write this lie anywhere, but in his own biography, a book which will be used to judge him in the history. But I was curious, if the purpose he wrote this lie in his book is to get more copies sell. Then what was his purpose to go to the ABC network to repeat this story again? Can he get money from the network?

Tony Blair: Princess Diana a "Meteor" in the Queen's "Ecosystem" - ABC News

In an exclusive interview with "This Week's" Christiane Amanpour, former UK prime minister Tony Blair said he was worried about Princess Diana after her marriage with Prince Charles ended and she started dating Dodi Fayed.

"I was worried for her, frankly," Blair told Amanpour. "And I was worried because it was obviously going to be extremely difficult. And I wanted her to know, you know, what were the implications and consequences of all it was going to be."

I also have to convince myself that Britain is such a speechless country that, its people would let such a shameless, cheap, stupid person to be their Prime Minister for seven years. And Britain's future is so dim that not only because their future King and his brother's mother was such a shameless person, but also because the future King and his brother are also so shameless themselves that they are so proud of such a mother. Due to genes probably.

Sorry, I don't think things in such an extreme way. I can not buy that theory.

This is an example of Mr. Blair's deceit
"rather than heed growing international calls to lift those sanctions, George W Bush and his neoconservative band chose war which they and their British cohort Prime Minster Tony Blair then sold to the gullible Western population on lies too numerous too list. They were aided by complicit right-wing media with Rupert Murdoch leading the charge, according to diaries of Blair's former spin doctor Alastair Campbell.

Blair was aware that the war would be illegal in the absence of an explicit UN resolution, as his legal advisor attorney general Lord Goldsmith had determined, but he went ahead regardless even as millions of anti-war protestors thronged London's streets. He didn't hesitate to sign-off on an intelligence dossier for public consumption falsely claiming that Iraq could deploy WMD against British interests with 45 minutes of receiving the order to do so--and another containing tracts from a student's thesis published on the internet, typos and all."

From information clearinghouse.com

There are many other references. There are also many references to Al- Fayed's shady busy dealings and Dodi's hard partying lifestyle .

So no I don't believe Tony Blair. His motive may not be money but also to put a positive spin on his name as some sort of confidence of Princess Diana. Just think how many books are still being written by the so-called friends of hers revealing some little details. What's the motivation: they get attention and they get money because she was famous and beloved woman. As for Richard Kay, he made his entire career on gossip about Diana and by exploiting her fragility and insecurities. She's been gone for 17 years and he still doing it. So I always take things he writes a grain of salt.

And although she was having a good time with Dodi and little show off time in the newspaper from running around with him, she's was not going to marry him.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

The 'Judgement of History' on the subject of Mr Blair will relegate his dealings with the Princess to a footnote, but will be scathing on his deceit in lying to his country, and the world in order to draw us into the illegal war in Iraq..

His name is already mud, [in his lifetime], and history will confirm it..

I can believe that Tony Blair was concerned about Diana's relationship with the Fayeds and tried to warn her off. The problem with the book is that he says he expressed concerns about Diana's involvement with Dodi before Diana even met Dodi. I can believe that Blair may have correctly predicted that Dodi would try and romance Diana. In fact, I can imagine that Fayed's phone was tapped so Blair may have been aware of conversations between Dodi and his father about Diana.

Regarding whether Diana would marry Dodi, I'm still not convinced. Anbrida seems to think that Dodi's father would have objected to Diana using Dodi to make Khan jealous but would have been fine with her marrying Dodi for his money.

It is even harder for me to believe given that Diana had been publicly complaining about being trapped in a loveless marriage for years. She was probably depressed and self-destructive but I can't believe that she would have decided to marry for money before she even met the gentleman involved--especially since he was engaged to another woman.

With regard to her commitment to charity, I think it is a matter of record that Diana gave very little of her own money to charity. She left no provisions in her will.

If Diana had been prompted, she would have had to admit that her greatest happiness was not charity work, it was motherhood. Anbrida would have us believe that Diana would decide to marry a man her children didn't particularly know or like. Even worse, Diana decided to inform William by phone a few days before she was due to see him in person. I'm sorry. I just don't buy it.

Transcript of Tony Blair interview by ABC network concerning Diana and Dodi's relationship

Tony Blair on Princess Diana, the Queen and Alcohol | Video - ABC News

--"I was worried for her, frankly," he said. "I mean I was worried because it was obviously going to be extremely difficult. And I wanted her to know what the implications and consequences of all of it was going to be."

--what is the issue?

--The issue was obviously it was a unusual relationship to be, the question is how you were going to work it out and how it was gonna to work out. Think about Princess Diana's become not only an object of fascination of people, she's obviously become such a public property.

Last edited:
I can believe that Tony Blair was concerned about Diana's relationship with the Fayeds and tried to warn her off. The problem with the book is that he says he expressed concerns about Diana's involvement with Dodi before Diana even met Dodi. I can believe that Blair may have correctly predicted that Dodi would try and romance Diana. In fact, I can imagine that Fayed's phone was tapped so Blair may have been aware of conversations between Dodi and his father about Diana.

Her step mother introduced Dodi to Diana in spring of 1997. The following is Diana's hair dresser's recall.

Diana told Tess how she had first met Dodi five years earlier at the London premiere of the film Hook, but only really got to know him in spring this year, when her stepmother Raine brought them together at a dinner party.

"It was sort of like a blind date." Diana confided. "I thought he was quite nice, but I didn't see much of him until we met again on holiday in St Tropez in the middle of July"

Regarding whether Diana would marry Dodi, I'm still not convinced. Anbrida seems to think that Dodi's father would have objected to Diana using Dodi to make Khan jealous but would have been fine with her marrying Dodi for his money.

Now you know why Tony Blair said Diana was a manipulate person, who know how to play on people's emotion. Even though Diana wasn't in love with Dodi, she would still be able to make him believe she was very fond of him at least. She was a good actor, her son Harry said.

It is even harder for me to believe given that Diana had been publicly complaining about being trapped in a loveless marriage for years. She was probably depressed and self-destructive but I can't believe that she would have decided to marry for money before she even met the gentleman involved--especially since he was engaged to another woman.

In her marriage with Charles, she loved him but Charles didn't. Dodi was different, Dodi put her at No.1 place, and made her very happy. This is much easier to live with. But she was a woman with a lot of emotional baggage -- a large part of her love has already been reserved for someone. So in a short time, I don't think she could fell in love with Dodi, but as time go by she might be able to get rid of that emotional baggage. About that engagement, I find it quite confused. Kelly fisher said they were about to marry, but Dodi's father seemed have no idea of the existence of this girl at all. Otherwise, he definitely would not allow Dodi bring this girl to France. I think at least Dodi needed to introduce his bride to his father first before getting married, right? All his money came from his father, right? So weird.

With regard to her commitment to charity, I think it is a matter of record that Diana gave very little of her own money to charity. She left no provisions in her will.

Diana left 1/4 of her properties to her 17 god children. Some of them are disable and poor. But this part of was omitted by her will carrier. It is a very famous news. Diana did give her own money to her charity privately. The following is one of the stories. And in 1997, she also privately sponsored several kids from poor countries to London to do heart surgery, according to "Diana:the portrait". I just gave a few examples here. She didn't do it publicly, doesn't mean she didn't do it privately.

QUEEN of all our HEARTS; Diana The people's Princess 1961-1997; Children could see how much she cared. - Free Online Library

Emma May also shares the sense of shock and loss. The 16-year-old walks tall today partly thanks to Diana.

The Princess gave her money towards a pounds 20,000 operation to add six inches to her height - and encouraged and comforted her as she recovered.

Emma was born with the rare Turner's syndrome, which stopped her growing at the age of 10. Her bravery in the face of painful treatment won her a "Champion Children" award in 1991, which Diana presented.

She said: "I wrote to her afterwards telling her about the operation. I didn't expect her to send any money, but I wasn't surprised, because she was so terribly nice. I wrote back to thank her, and the correspondence went on quite a while.

"They were lovely, chatty letters, but she always asked me not to disclose what she wrote and I never will. Not even if I was offered thousands of pounds for them.

"She was like a friend, and I shall treasure her letters always."

If Diana had been prompted, she would have had to admit that her greatest happiness was not charity work, it was motherhood. Anbrida would have us believe that Diana would decide to marry a man her children didn't particularly know or like. Even worse, Diana decided to inform William by phone a few days before she was due to see him in person. I'm sorry. I just don't buy it.

She said those words herself, I didn't make it up for her. But her boys were in boarding school, and finally will go to live their own life. If a mother is too attached to her sons, and draw all the happiness from them, it is actually very bad for both the mother and sons. And no Diana was not about to get engaged immediately, at least not before Kelly Fisher's law suit was settled down. The phone call was definitely not about engagement. It was more likely about her intention.

Last edited:
As for Richard Kay, he made his entire career on gossip about Diana and by exploiting her fragility and insecurities. She's been gone for 17 years and he still doing it. So I always take things he writes a grain of salt.

The hospice things were not something he wrote on his paper, it was his testimony to the jury of Diana's death law case.

I didn't believe for one second that Diana would've jumped from one marriage that was filled infidelity and then go on to marry a man who was a playboy. I just don't think she would've complicated her life and her children's life in that way.

The issue was the Fayeds!!!:bang: They were "bad news". Dodi's father used the honorific "Al", which he wasn't even entitled to. He bribed members of Parliament. The British government wouldn't give him citizenship in spite of the fact that he employed a lot of British people in his businesses. Generally, a person who is willing to invest a lot in a country can get citizenship unless there's something bad in his/her background. People who own large businesses and thereby help the British economy can even get knighthoods. There's something sinister about Mohamed Fayed when even his money can't speak for him. This is a man who accused Diana's father-in-law of killing her. The Duke of Edinburgh is a man who fought for the Allies in World War and has dedicated his life to helping Queen and Country.

Mohamed Al-Fayed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transcript of Tony Blair interview by ABC network concerning Diana and Dodi's relationship

Tony Blair on Princess Diana, the Queen and Alcohol | Video - ABC News

--"I was worried for her, frankly," he said. "I mean I was worried because it was obviously going to be extremely difficult. And I wanted her to know what the implications and consequences of all of it was going to be."

--what is the issue?

Now you know why Tony Blair said Diana was a manipulate person, who know how to play on people's emotion. Even though Diana wasn't in love with Dodi, she would still be able to make him believe she was very fond of him at least. She was a good actor, her son Harry said.
I have been following this discussion with much interest, and although my own thoughts are still not settled regarding the issues and possibilities discussed, one thing I did want to comment on was the above quote.
I think it's pretty much the consensus that Diana deceived Charles, his friends and his family when during the courtship she claimed to love the country and outdoorsy pursuits and then practically the minute the ring was on her finger she abandoned that lie. So I agree, that if she wanted Dodi to believe she was in love with him, she was certainly capable of doing so.

I have been following this discussion with much interest, and although my own thoughts are still not settled regarding the issues and possibilities discussed, one thing I did want to comment on was the above quote.
I think it's pretty much the consensus that Diana deceived Charles, his friends and his family when during the courtship she claimed to love the country and outdoorsy pursuits and then practically the minute the ring was on her finger she abandoned that lie. So I agree, that if she wanted Dodi to believe she was in love with him, she was certainly capable of doing so.
She told many people, many time in the public that she loved Charles. In Dodi's case, she never told any friends that she loved Dodi, she said most "he made me really happy." Never ever once she mentioned love. She didnt tell lie about her emotion.
But why people must assume that she would only marry for love. When you are in your mid 30, when your life is so complicated that so many thing has to worry, love is not the only thing to think.

Think about Charles, was he in love with Diana when he marry her? No. Why he had to marry her? He tried many other girls, but they all rejected him. He has too much baggage to take on. Could he waite until the right one appear? Sure. Why he didnt wait, because he was not confident the right one would appear, because a big part of his love was reserved for someone, the right one already belonged to other people. In this case he felt quite lucky there was acctually one girl dare to take on him, so he jumped into the boat after merely 13 dates.

Last edited:
I found a story about Diana and Dodi wanted to "co-produce" a movie concerning landmine and conservation issue in Africa.

The movie was introduced to Diana by Dodi, because he thought the story was perfect for her. Diana wanted the movie to include a scene about Brad Pitt being rescued by Mambo (an elephant) from the mine field, to highlight the issue of landmine.

"Maybe it could be a whole minefield. That would be a perfect way to draw attention to the terrible evil of those awful weapons. After what I have seen there is nothing more wicked than landmines."

And she also suggest a name to the movie

She had suggestions. The film should be: "A cry from the wild. A film that would enable people to understand these extraordinarily intelligent and sensitive, gentle creatures so that they, too, would join in the fight to save them from further suffering and ultimate extinction".
The moving story of Diana and Mambo--An elephant like no other

However, the producer had a nickname for the movie -- "Free Willy with Tusks".
New Straits Times - Google News Archive Search

The movie would cost 60 million USD. A report said it might be funded by Al Fayed.

"Princess Diana, romantically linked in the British Press yesterday to film maker Dodi al-Fayed could "co-produce" a film in the Eastern Cape. Mambo, a story of an elephant herd's journey through war-torn Africa, is expected to be filmed in the Eastern Cape with financing from Mr Al-Fayed...Mr Thomas said Mr Al-Fayed may give Diana a $60-million "gift" - the amount needed to make the film, because it dealt with issues important to her such as the horrors of landmines and the culling of animals."
Wild Net Africa | The Beauty of the African Wilderness
Secret of Di's movie tribute. - Free Online Library

Not a story about Diana and Dodi, but the following story suggests that Diana's idea that Mambo, the elephant can save Brad Pitt from minefield is not a total fantasy. Elephant might really have the ability to avoid landmine.

Elephants "Learn" to Avoid Land Mines in War-Torn Angola

Since the end of the war in 2002, elephants have begun to go back to the Luiana Partial Reserve in Angola's sparsely populated Cuando Cubango province that borders southwest Zambia and Namibia (see Africa map).

Chase said that when the initial migration began a number of elephants had their trunks and legs blown off by mines, condemning the animals to agonizing deaths. But the elephants that followed since have avoided those areas.

"I don't know if elephants have 'learned' to avoid land mines, but my limited observations suggest they might have," he said.

"Once I overlay the movements of our five satellite-collared elephants with the location of [the known] mine fields, it would appear that they were avoiding these areas."

Evidence that elephants are avoiding the danger zones is supported by his team's observations on the ground, he added.

"We have not seen any evidence of elephants being blown up or injured by land mine explosions in the three years we have been working in this area," he said.

"Incidents of elephants being injured or killed by land mines used to happen often when elephants were chased over these areas by people."

Elephants "Learn" to Avoid Land Mines in War-Torn Angola

I found a story about Diana and Dodi wanted to "co-produce" a movie concerning landmine and conservation issue in Africa.

The movie was introduced to Diana by Dodi, because he thought the story was perfect for her. Diana wanted the movie to include a scene about Brad Pitt being rescued by Mambo (an elephant) from the mine field, to highlight the issue of landmine.

And she also suggest a name to the movie

The moving story of Diana and Mambo--An elephant like no other

However, the producer had a nickname for the movie -- "Free Willy with Tusks".
New Straits Times - Google News Archive Search

The movie would cost 60 million USD. A report said it might be funded by Al Fayed.

Wild Net Africa | The Beauty of the African Wilderness
That's a really cool story. Explains why William is so into saving African wildlife. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

That's a really cool story. Explains why William is so into saving African wildlife. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It is possible. But he has never said his interest is inspired by his mother. He did say in public that it was inspired by his father and grandfather. So I am not very sure. But "free Willy with tusks" does shock me. Sounds like a prophecy.

Was just a thought. Don't know for sure either!

I doesn't surprise me that Diana would be interested in doing something like this and perhaps that is the meat and the potatoes why Diana and Dodi were together so much. It also sounds like it could be behind the obscure thing we heard around that time that Diana said. Something to the effect of "Wait till you see what I do next". To me, it really sounds like something Diana would get excited about doing.

Diana seemed to be much more interested in people than in animals. I'm not sure that I believe this story about her and Dodi being involved in this film. :ermm:

Diana seemed to be much more interested in people than in animals. I'm not sure that I believe this story about her and Dodi being involved in this film. :ermm:

I found four independent sources for this movie. The earliest one is on Aug 11, 1997 from a Malaysia's newspaper "The New Straits Time", which I can guarantee to you definitely a serious paper. So I think the story is quite reliable. And one of the co-producer of the movie, Adrian Gardiner is a sponsor of Tusk Trust. For example the tusk trust prince william award this year was held in Draycott hotel, which belongs to Adrian Gardiner.

I suppose it's possible that plans were in the works for this movie, but I think that it would have been talked about more in the media in the aftermath of Diana's death had there been firm plans about it. I think that she would have told Richard Kay about it, for example, and perhaps other friends. :flowers:

I suppose it's possible that plans were in the works for this movie, but I think that it would have been talked about more in the media in the aftermath of Diana's death had there been firm plans about it. I think that she would have told Richard Kay about it, for example, and perhaps other friends. :flowers:

Well it had been mentioned once immediately after her death, on Sep 7, 1997

But I agree with you, rationally it should have been mentioned more. To me there are two possibilities: (1) the movie plan had never existed or (2) some people in the high place don't want this kinds of news to be acknowledged by the public. I tend to believe the latter. To be specific, I think the press had deliberately cover up her activities associated to landmine campaign, because I saw an evident example how they did that.

Back
Top Bottom