The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

I've understood that Hasnat broke off with her or they had a mutual 'break' ...and she saw the opportunity with Dodi to try and make him jealous.

LaRae

Old 09-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I've understood that Hasnat broke off with her or they had a mutual 'break' ...and she saw the opportunity with Dodi to try and make him jealous.

LaRae
as far as I know, he said that she ended their affair.. and that he wasn't sure if she had moved into a relationship with someone else.. Dodi was little knownw at the time.. and it was only when Diana had herself photographed wit him on the yacht that her romance was known and it was known to be Al Fayeds son. (the KISS photos).
My understanding was that Khan thought there was someone else but didn't know who until he saw the pix in the press..
I think that she had perhaps begun to give up hope that he would go any further than a secret romance with her and although they loved each other, she was frustrated and sought another admirer.. and Dodi was beign wheeled out by MAF....
It think she did want to "show" Khan that she had someone else, and that she now had an admirer who was happy to be seen with her.. and she also wanted to "show" the RF that she had a very rich admirer....

Old 09-25-2018, 04:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
and if Diana wanted to made his Pakistan Doctor Jalous ?
She certainly went about it the right way, if that was the intent. There are some men of which Hasnat appeared to be, who aren't possessive in their relationships with women. If heavily involved with other parts of their life, they don't invest all of themselves in their partner. He must have felt a few pangs, but as this was bran new at the time..it simply was left for him to wonder how, or when, the relationship materialized.

He did have a clear premonition, that trouble might find her.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
She certainly went about it the right way, if that was the intent. There are some men of which Hasnat appeared to be, who aren't possessive in their relationships with women. If heavily involved with other parts of their life, they don't invest all of themselves in their partner. He must have felt a few pangs, but as this was bran new at the time..it simply was left for him to wonder how, or when, the relationship materialized.

He did have a clear premonition, that trouble might find her.
I think he was hurt, but he was ambivalent about their relationship, because he didn't want the publicity that would result in a life as Dianas' open partner.. and he wanted to please his parents by marrying into their culture and religion. He probably also thought that Diana could nt adjust to middle class doctors' wife, after being a Princess.
But he must have been hurt that she had taken up wih someone else like Dodi...
Old 09-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think he was hurt, but he was ambivalent about their relationship, because he didn't want the publicity that would result in a life as Dianas' open partner.. and he wanted to please his parents by marrying into their culture and religion. He probably also thought that Diana could nt adjust to middle class doctors' wife, after being a Princess.
But he must have been hurt that she had taken up wih someone else like Dodi...

Whatever his feelings were at the time, a good deal less is said about Diana's emotional letdown with him, in terms of a falling out over commitment and marriage. The idea that their relationship would remain under wraps indefinitely must have upset her, and not a little.. We presume that the summer fling was all about fun and sun, but imo her outlook and mindset were at a crossroads and a low point.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
We.. We presume that the summer fling was all about fun and sun, but imo her outlook and mindset were at a crossroads and a low point.
I think she was fairly happy. SHe was probably coming to terms with the fact that HK wasn't going to marry her.. and she had a rich and pleasant boyfriend, showing her a good time for a few weeks. I think she would problaby have been depressed when the summer ended, but apart from what looks like a bit of irritation with Dodi, she seemed happy...
Old 09-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
By the time that summer ended, I think Diana would have been a totally single, divorced woman on her own again and both Dr. Khan and Dodi would eventually fade into the annals of history for her. Neither of them, in my estimation, would have gone the distance in a happy marriage to Diana.

With Khan, she basically ran into the same thing that caused problems between her and Charles. Their individual careers and aspirations. Not being able to manipulate Khan into a career change and fly off to South Africa, she probably realized that where he was with his profession is where he would stay and there was no way she'd coax him into a life with her with all the publicity involved. Khan had worked too hard to get where he was and wasn't about to hand over control of his career and profession in order to marry Diana. I don't think Diana would have been content either with just being a cardiac surgeon's wife staying in the background.

With Dodi, she found what she wanted in Charles and Khan. Someone to dote on her, spend all his time with her and basically act like the hero out of a Cartland romance novel. She probably also realized that this man was no romance novel hero but was a man without direction or substance. A daddy's puppet and sycophant. I don't think that Dodi was strong or mature enough to really be a supportive husband and partner for Diana either.

We'll never know how things would have went but I really don't see Diana ending up in a long term relationship/marriage with either Dr. Khan or Dodi Al-Fayed.
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 10-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think she was fairly happy. SHe was probably coming to terms with the fact that HK wasn't going to marry her.. and she had a rich and pleasant boyfriend, showing her a good time for a few weeks. I think she would problaby have been depressed when the summer ended, but apart from what looks like a bit of irritation with Dodi, she seemed happy...
One reason she may have been was her fondness for a holiday, and perhaps returning home rejuvenated. In light of the variety of places she had travelled, it's unclear how wonderful the trip was. According to Burrell, as soon as he saw photos of them taken at the dock with sneakers in hand and Dodi right behind, felt immediately she was 'not happy'. ..A vague business like expression is displayed, in contrast to those where she radiated fun, humour, happiness.

When she decided to accept the yacht invitation, she must have anticipated a nice excursion of surf and sand, rather than let despair ruin a trip. From that standpoint I agree she was happy.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I hardly think she was very unhappy, but I think that the signs are there that while at first she was happy with Dodi, she was getting a bit stressed. SHe was pleased at first, I think. He seemed a nice fellow, he was payig her a lot of attention and it was nice ot have a boyfriend she didn't have to hide... but could be seen openly with. But I think it didn't last that long. THey were together only a month or so.. and even then, hints emerged that she got a bit irritated by Dodi's making a fuss about little annoyances, like midges.. and since she liked a comfortablley but not rigidly planned life, Dodi messing around, changing arrangements and annoying the poor bodyguards, must have begun to seem off putting. And I think she could see that he was dominated by his father. So within a short time, the gloss was off the affair....