Concert For Diana: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far, I think it would have been better not to have some of the aged 'rockers'! :lol:

I think it was nice that they were included, though. They were from the eighties, when Diana 'grew up' I guess. But I wish NBC would have aired the ballet performance, because that is the part I most wanted to see, but they didn't show it! Terrible! I could have done without Diddy, without Rod Stewart, without Fergie (terrible song of Fergie's, terribly sung) just to see the ENB perform, that's who I wanted to see more than anyone, and they didn't show it, or I missed it -- but I can't have missed it, because I was glued to the whole thing! It's terrible. I think the NBC airing just showed off the American performers and those "legendary" ones they *had* to show. And they completely scrapped what was apparently the best part, the ballet! Well, I am hoping iTunes will have the concert in full, and not just what NBC showed.

About the Spencer cousins:
In looking at the pics on this thread again, I definitely recognized George McCorquodale, Laura Fellowes, the Earl Spencer's twin girls. I always recognize George when I see him because he looks so much like his mother and a bit like Harry (though now Harry has changed so much, they don't look alike so much as they did in their teen years!) :) But it is always nice to see the Spencer family. I like most of them. :D

:DThat concert was amazing, the boys participated in all decisions,not just invited artist like Elton Jhon , also Fergie, Nelly Furtado.....it was for all type of likes.Bravo for them!!!!;)

Some pictures of Diana's family-memebers arriving for the concert:

Earl Spencer and his children Kitty, Eliza, Katya and Frederick

his son Frederick? Not Louis?
Thank you for the pics. The father and son look so much alike.
YES! Lady Rose! I just love those Gloucesters. :D

And I did adore the finale to the concert, the video of little Diana. Only wish it was longer! I could have done with more video clips and less 'pop culture' ! :lol:

I saw most of the show live, and I have to say that it was a great one. It truly embodied the spirit of a celebration of Diana. That's exactly what the princes wanted.

During the 'pauses' of the show, the anchors of the newscast were interviewing several people. They interviewed a royal insider who actually said that William and Kate are together. They did break-up because William got 'cold-feet' but they are back together but are keeping a low-profile. She also mentioned that the Queen is in approval of this and that is why Kate was able to attend the concert. She realized the mistake in pressuring Charles, so she doesn't want to make the same mistake with William and thus letting him decide. But as the lady said 'the final decision is always up to the Queen'
The royal insider was an elderly lady and I wish I remembered her name! I get the feeling that what she said was true. She seemed to have close ties with them, but in the end who knows!

I saw most of the show live, and I have to say that it was a great one. It truly embodied the spirit of a celebration of Diana. That's exactly what the princes wanted.

During the 'pauses' of the show, the anchors of the newscast were interviewing several people. They interviewed a royal insider who actually said that William and Kate are together. They did break-up because William got 'cold-feet' but they are back together but are keeping a low-profile. She also mentioned that the Queen is in approval of this and that is why Kate was able to attend the concert. She realized the mistake in pressuring Charles, so she doesn't want to make the same mistake with William and thus letting him decide. But as the lady said 'the final decision is always up to the Queen'
The royal insider was an elderly lady and I wish I remembered her name! I get the feeling that what she said was true. She seemed to have close ties with them, but in the end who knows!

Could the lady be Lady Susan Hussey? She is rather old now, William's godmother, former lady-in-waiting to the Queen and one of Prince Charles's dearest friends. I doubt she ever or would ever talk to the press about the royals' private lives, though, unless she was doing it with their permission.

Here are more pics: http://www.geocities.com/casiraghitrio//dianaconcert.html (sources: rex, bbc, reuters)

I identified more people in the special enclosure:
Guy Pelly, Mark Tomlinson, Thomas van Straubenzee, James Meade, James Murray Wells, Zara and Peter, Mike Tindall, William van Cutsem, of course all the Spencer/McCorquodale/Fellowes uncle/aunts/cousins, of course the Davys, the Middletons, the Grosvenors & van Cutsems, a sprinkling of Astors.... almost like reading a paragraph of Who's Who! :D

Chelsy sure seemed to be having fun! There seemed to be more pictures taken of her than of Kate. I think we'll be hearing a lot more about her in the future, now that Kate's out of the picture and Harry's the only one in a serious relationship.

Was the girl with the funky hair Joss Stone? I don't know what she looks like very well.

The Grosvenors? - the children of the Duke and Duchess of Westminster? I believe that the Duchess was William's godmother and a close friend of Diana's. The Duke is an old friend of Charles.

Yes, Chelsy does look better in some of these pictures than I've seen her lately.

I thought Diddy's performace was just embarrassing. he kept shouting studiply about how diana was 'great.' it was cringe inducing.

joss stone and tom jones were really great though. loved their duet. and of course the ballet. wow!

has anyone seen a video of the harry and chelsy kiss?

I'm watching it now (tv channel Starmovies, rerun it in Malaysia now), I could say it is a great concert. Bravo to the 2 princes for organised it..

Chelsy and Harry are so lovey dovey....

Of course, Lady Diana should have liked this concert in her honour. Her children organized it wonderfully. This is not the kind of ambiance I'll like, but it was a concert in Lady Diana's memory and not in mine, so I should be happy.

Anyone knows if Prince Charles said something about it? :ermm:

Vanesa.

I thought Diddy's performace was just embarrassing. he kept shouting studiply about how diana was 'great.' it was cringe inducing.

I agree! It was the worst part of the show imo.

I thought I saw someone look like david Beckham...and it is Beckham and his son.

it was too sad a song for a celebration.

They did say something about how the princes asked him to sing it, but he told them never again after the funeral. It was too hard for him to get through it.

I found it interesting that when he told Diana who the potential donaters for the symphony orchestra might be she would go to them and thank them for donating and then they very often did:)

I like that story about when Diana took William to the symphony and was late because Harry was upset that he couldn't go too, and then William fell asleep on the shoulder of that man. :lol:

Though I like the idea that the Princes wanted to celebrate their mothers life by giving a concert and collecting money for causes that Diana felt strongly about, I must confess that I look at this with mixed feelings.

I know that monarchies have to change and go along with times et all, but to see Prince Harry all over his girlfriend during an official event is too much change for me. So is the fact that the girl is actually sitting next to him. Her style and her manners don't seem very sophisticated either, it is somewhat simular to that of a so-called WAG (wives and girlfriends of soccer players).

The footage of Lady Diana that was shown there was rather nice and moving, especially those of her childhood years. I haven't seen it before and it was a nice gesture of the Princes to share these private videos witht he public.

from some of the shots you could see there were still lots of seats left...this might be as sometimes the seats directly beside the stage left empty for various reasons. i watched snippets of the concert so i couldn't really give an opinion but from what i've read here it sounds like it was great.

Charles wasn't happy when he was not seated next to Camilla at the wedding of one of the daughters of the duke of westminster because they were not married. It seems logical that his sons treat their girlfriends as eqauls just like their father preferred.

Though I like the idea that the Princes wanted to celebrate their mothers life by giving a concert and collecting money for causes that Diana felt strongly about, I must confess that I look at this with mixed feelings.

I know that monarchies have to change and go along with times et all, but to see Prince Harry all over his girlfriend during an official event is too much change for me. So is the fact that the girl is actually sitting next to him. Her style and her manners don't seem very sophisticated either, it is somewhat simular to that of a so-called WAG (wives and girlfriends of soccer players).

The footage of Lady Diana that was shown there was rather nice and moving, especially those of her childhood years. I haven't seen it before and it was a nice gesture of the Princes to share these private videos witht he public.

i just finished watching it a couple of hours ago...

as a lot of people saying they'd done a great job!

i wish i was back in london in time for this... so i can watch it live! unfortunately i'm here in manila.

I agree! It was the worst part of the show imo.

Everytime I hear that song, I think of Diana because on the day of her passing that was (in Australia anyhow) the song the television networks and radio stations used as a sort of tribute. While it nearly always brings a tear to my eye (As it did when I watched the concert) I didn't find 'Diddy's' onstage monkey like manoeuvres all that enticing.

Job well done! I loved the concert and was thrilled to share it with my 3 girls. I was a bit worried we would get bored with it but we loved the inbetween Diana & me moments. It is a day I will never forget sharing with my girls.
As far as Kate and William I felt so bad for her. If she isn't with him I would have stayed home for the event and watched on tv. But if I was with him and if the pictures are true of her car being driven into Clarence House the night before after midnight (I would think the picture says it all) than they are together and they had to share this event rows apart. How sad that must have been for them. Plus I am sure William would have liked her to be seated next to him.
Overall I have to say I was impressed with the way the boys conducted themselves. I was dreading Harry getting drunk in the stands and thrilled he didn't seem to be drinking. Than of course the selection of performers was a wonderful mix of old and newer groups.
I do believe in a heaven and I do believe that Diana was watching down on her birthday smiling on her boys. They did a fitting tribute to her and I believe they have got it right doing a concert on her birthday and a memoral service on the day of her death.
The best part was the end when they showed videos and my girls 6,5, and 2 were cheering look at Diana and dancing around like her afterwards in a fit of giggles.
It was a wonderful day!
Diana would be so proud!

I agree with some of you, Diddy was embarrassing. I saw the whole day's footage on VH1--fabulous concert, like I said before. I watched the NBC special last night and was not impressed at all. They did not capture the mood or feeling of the concert, in my opinion. It was a shoddy recap.

I agree with some of you, Diddy was embarrassing.

Yes. I just found it so annoying that he kept saying 'Diana we miss you, we love you, etc, etc.' It came off to be soo insincere. I wonder if he even met her! :bang:

But hands down the worst performance was Pharell. The crowd was not feeling him and he is singing 'Drop it like it's hot' for this event. What the hell? Am I missing something?? :bang:

Yes. I just found it so annoying that he kept saying 'Diana we miss you, we love you, etc, etc.' It came off to be soo insincere. I wonder if he even met her! :bang:

:bang:

and the way he was shouting it made it worse. i didnt think it was a fitting tribute to diana. i felt like for him this was just any other event for a deceased celebrity. he would shout like that about anyone.

I liked the way most of the acts approached the situation. just singing their songs and letting the context speak for itself. diddy has an aggrandized sense of self.

and the way he was shouting it made it worse. i didnt think it was a fitting tribute to diana. i felt like for him this was just any other event for a deceased celebrity. he would shout like that about anyone.

I liked the way most of the acts approached the situation. just singing their songs and letting the context speak for itself. diddy has an aggrandized sense of self.

I have to say that i thought that the concert was a truly amazing celebration of the life of Diana and i think it unfair how you could pick on someone for being asked to comemorate her. yes he may not have met Diana or knew her personally neither have some of the other performers and fans who attended that day but does that give you the right to say that he cannot give 'shout outs' i think if that is his way it is fine.

He was not forced to get on that stage and i dont think it was a publicity stunt so i dont think it is fair to say that he didnt care and because i'm sure he wouldnt have come all the way over to the UK if he didnt. He actually had not dedicated that soong to her, but he sang it at an award show after she died as sort of a tribute...and as they said it was the MOST REQUESTED song on the day of her death.

I dont think its a sad song. If you understand it you'll realise it is a HEALING song about moving on.

Im sorry to say that if you dont think he was being sincere, thats fine. However, if you are going to pick on him as the only one who wasnt sincere, i dont think thats fair.

I think was a great idea the concert for Princess Diana. It was okay.

Back
Top Bottom