Concert For Diana: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to say that i thought that the concert was a truly amazing celebration of the life of Diana and i think it unfair how you could pick on someone for being asked to comemorate her. yes he may not have met Diana or knew her personally neither have some of the other performers and fans who attended that day but does that give you the right to say that he cannot give 'shout outs' i think if that is his way it is fine.

He was not forced to get on that stage and i dont think it was a publicity stunt so i dont think it is fair to say that he didnt care and because i'm sure he wouldnt have come all the way over to the UK if he didnt. He actually had not dedicated that soong to her, but he sang it at an award show after she died as sort of a tribute...and as they said it was the MOST REQUESTED song on the day of her death.

I dont think its a sad song. If you understand it you'll realise it is a HEALING song about moving on.

Im sorry to say that if you dont think he was being sincere, thats fine. However, if you are going to pick on him as the only one who wasnt sincere, i dont think thats fair.

well first of all i cant see how the words 'picking on' could apply to a twenty-something on an online message board criticizing one of the richest, most famous rappers in the world.

i like the song too. it was the first cd i ever bought in my life, in fact. it was all the stupid shouting that he did that bothered me. "so beautiful! so elegant!' i found it embarrassing.

but look, if you were touched by his shouting then I'm happy for you. I wish I could have been.

maybe a stupid question but why wasnt charles there? the princes friends and girlfriends/ ex girlfriends had their parents there?

maybe a stupid question but why wasnt charles there? the princes friends and girlfriends/ ex girlfriends had their parents there?
I understand that Charles and Camilla didn't go because they wanted the focus to be on the two princes, not them. :flowers:

Anyone knows if Prince Charles said something about it? :ermm:

Vanesa.

What should he say?
The Prince of Wales has, as a loving father, always a supporting role for his sons, so i´m sure he gave them a helping hand in this case too.
It was never planed that Charles and Camilla would visit the concert. They will visit the memorial service in August ( together wth the Queen), but the concert was an event only from the two sons for their mother.:flowers:

When I saw he singing I just tought about William and Harry's face towards the song and the letter he was singing at that momment, Puff Daddy was really bad and even so his song "missing you" was very beautiful he has ruin everything!!!:bang:

On the interview, william said that no senior member of the royal family would be there. Perhaps that might have been a diplomatic approch to avoiding Camilla..im not sure thier intentions there though, im just guessing. I does seem strange though that their other aunts and uncles could come but not the royal ones...o well

Absolutely great concert, the princes had done a marvellous job! The feeling at Wembley seemed to be fantastic. I specially liked the Lloyd Webber musicals, especially Andrea Bocelli was superb! Elton John and Josh Stone are also my favourites. Have to admire Tom Jones and Rod Stewart, old guys still going strong. I liked also David Beckham´s presentation, there´s something so warm and genuine in that man.
Kate looked lovely, I believe she and William are together again.

But hands down the worst performance was Pharell. The crowd was not feeling him and he is singing 'Drop it like it's hot' for this event. What the hell? Am I missing something?? :bang:
I found several of the songs the artists performed quite odd. Drop It Like It's Hot, Maneater, Gold Digger...?! I mean, I love those songs, but very, very odd songs to choose for this sort of event. Overall, however, I am pleased with the way the concert went!

To answer the 'why wasn't Charles there' question, the commentators on VH1 explained that the boys wanted the focus to be on the younger royals and then they made the comment that even though she is the Queen, most people wouldn't want to attend a rock concert with their grandmother. Which is true, I suppose. I'm not so sure at her age that the Queen would have wanted to attend it, either. Charles I don't really know. I'm not picturing Camilla dancing to 'Maneater', either!:lol:

On the interview, william said that no senior member of the royal family would be there. Perhaps that might have been a diplomatic approch to avoiding Camilla..im not sure thier intentions there though, im just guessing. I does seem strange though that their other aunts and uncles could come but not the royal ones...o well
And no senior royals were there, why should it be an approach to avoid Camilla. Harry has already told everyone how they love her to bits? :rolleyes:

And no senior royals were there, why should it be an approach to avoid Camilla. Harry has already told everyone how they love her to bits? :rolleyes:

indeed. and camilla and charles have been invited to the church service on august 31.

I think I read some kind of a statement from clarence house that this concert was mostly intended for the younger generation.

i doubt charles and camilla would have enjoyed the music very much anyway.

Does anyone else think that it looked like the Princes walked up and stopped Sir Elton John early? I think he was going to sing more songs and perhaps end the night with Candle In The Wind. After all it has been said by many that the Princes had requested him to sing it. I think they had to stop the show early due to having to end the concert by 10:30 pm. Any thoughts by others?

Lily

Believe it or not, I actually forgot that this was going to be on. I caught about the last 30 min of it or so. Tom Jones with Joss Stone was an odd coupling. I thought it weird that Pr. William did not memorize any of his closing speech. He read it totally and completely off of the cards.
I thought the video of her childhood years put a nice closing touch to the concert. It was great that her children wanted to share something so personal with the public.

After hearing BBC reports of bomb scares in the UK, I thought the concert would be affected in a big way. But it was great to see the defiance of the people who turned up, even though they were subjected to rigid security checks. Nothing was going to deter them from attending this celebration.

I just wanted to mention a couple of points.

A] Someone mentioned that they cut Eltons performace at the end. Quite correct, they ran over by 30 mins & eventually had to cut 2 of his songs - supposedly one was candle in the wind but that may just be media gossip b/c it is a rather sad song & would perhaps contradict the montage / queen song at the end.

B] At the start when Elton opened the stadium did have many empty seats. Basically b/c of the failed bombings in London on Fri & the Airport suicide car bomb thing at Glasgow airport [scotland] on Saturday - obviously the concert security was insane. The security was that of airport security - every bag searched & everyone scanned - due to this many people didn't make it for the start b/c they were held up with security. Also it's obviously a soccer pitch so the stage was on the pitch therefore one side of the stadium was useless b/c it was behind the stage! then at the other end - directly in front of the stage at the opposite side was 2 huge tower structures - so seats at that side were also left empty b/c people wouldn't be able to view the stage / screens.

C] I think the older performers that some people have criticised were great. Duran Duran was dianas face band & Rod Stewart was one of the best of the day - it was a british event, she was a british princess so I think it's only right that the some of the most well known british "wrinklies" performed - also, the age range was huge - kids to grandmas so to have all young acts would be plane ridiculous - I think they did a good job in having something for everyone.

D] Though I think PDiddys performance was rather indulgent - definitely more of an american performance than a british one ... watching british t.v this morning they showed prince harry wiping away tears while diddy was performing so I think it perhaps touched a number of people - sailing, by rod stewart was the other song that stirred the emotions of the masses.

E] Someone mentioned drinking - they were all drinking - harry had numerous pints of beer - pretty much everyone in the royal box was drinking - wine & beer ...

Overall I thought it was pretty good - If you put yourself in the princes position - watching the clips of your deceased mother for 6hrs must have been pretty hard - especially when people were talking so kindly about her ...

Sorry for all the typos - English is my 3rd language!

Last edited by a moderator:
rappers

I didn't think P. Diddy was as pointless a performer as Kanye West. OH PLEASE :bang: On my tv there were more beeps than intelligble words the entire time West was on!:eek:

I thought it was intentional not to sell tickets for the seats that remained unoccupied - the stage was right in the middle of the stadium and if they sold tickets for the other half, people over there wouldn't be able to see anything.

This is my opinion only though. :)

CONCERT FOR DIANA
Take a look at the greatest moments of one of the most important events of the year - "Concert for Diana", held last night at the London Wembley stadium.
Javno

I thought it was intentional not to sell tickets for the seats that remained unoccupied - the stage was right in the middle of the stadium and if they sold tickets for the other half, people over there wouldn't be able to see anything.

This is my opinion only though. :)

You're right according to the Telegraph article, but it also says that apparently the number of obstructed seats was overestimated, so there were many of those which could have been sold, allegedly. This is what I seem to understand from the Telegraph article. It is a bit confusing the way it's written, however. I might be wrong.

On t.v it looks like some parts were empty but they needed to be - down the 2 sides were completely full then the opposite end - furthest away from the stage was full on some levels & bare on others but like I mentioned before there was a large mast which would have blocked the view but from that far back I doubt you could see the stage anyway. I was lucky enough to be in the v.i.p section & it was completely full & the stadium looked packed - only when you see it on t.v you see the spaces [I was sitting directly in front of mario testino though I only realised this after about 90 mins when i turned around & had to do a double take!]

Does anyone else think that it looked like the Princes walked up and stopped Sir Elton John early? I think he was going to sing more songs and perhaps end the night with Candle In The Wind. After all it has been said by many that the Princes had requested him to sing it. I think they had to stop the show early due to having to end the concert by 10:30 pm. Any thoughts by others?

Lily

i doubt it. it seems like the whole affair was pretty tightly scripted. william and harry wouldnt have gone on stage before the appointed time.

these types of events are usually not tied to set in stone end times. whenever you have something live its normal for it to have an estimated ending time but you cant force it to end exactly on the dot.

if they had been planning to have something as big as closing with another performance of Candle in the Wind, I'm sure they would have made sure to go through with that and not decide to cut it at the last second.

I really enjoyed the entire concert, although I can't say I'm a huge Tom Jones fan, I think it was great overall. I love the National Ballet's performance; absolutely beautiful! I really wish that Elton John had played Candle in the Wind.

You're right according to the Telegraph article, but it also says that apparently the number of obstructed seats was overestimated, so there were many of those which could have been sold, allegedly. This is what I seem to understand from the Telegraph article. It is a bit confusing the way it's written, however. I might be wrong.
They had over estimated the amount of seats that would not have had a view of the stage and although they tried to sell them on the website, it was too late for most people. Some people decided not to go because of the weather and of course the attempted bombings. :flowers:

Sir Elton rages as princes' security guard makes him walk to post-gig party

As a member of rock 'n' roll royalty, Sir Elton John does not take kindly to being outranked.

Not even by Princes William and Harry.

Sir Elton rages as princes' security guard makes him walk to post-gig party | the Daily Mail

OLD TIMERS OF ROCK HIT AND MISS

THE Concert For Diana was brilliant ... even if some of the acts were well past their sell-by date

The Daily Record - NEWS - News Feed - OLD TIMERS OF ROCK HIT AND MISS

....add to the awful oldtimers Ferry & Tom Jones! Quo were as usual brilliant! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom