Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sara1981

Heir Apparent
City
North Little Rock
Country
United States
REMIND!

Princess Diana's brother will interview with Larry King FINALLY!!!!!!!!! i found out on the computer please you would tune-up on the television to watch Diana's brother with Larry King on October 15th talking about Diana's life same and new after Diana's death.

please infomation on http://www.cnn.com - click to Larry King about Princess Diana's brother Charles Spencer dont forget!

I will watch on television on Princess Diana's brother

Sara Boyce

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/15/lkl.01.html

transcript of the interview between Larry King and Charles Earl Spencer
LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight exclusive. Princess Diana as only her own brother could know her. Charles Spencer, her only brother in his only national interview shares unique and intimate memories of the woman behind the legend, the little girl he grew up who became the lady the world mourned, his sister the late Princess Diana.

Charles Spencer for the hour, exclusive and next on LARRY KING LIVE.

Earl Spencer's Interview

I didn't think it was all that interesting. Of course, I tuned in to watch but I also have a less than glowing reaction to anything Earl Spencer does given how often he let his sister down during her lifetime. The family footage shot by his father of a very young Diana was captivating. But his comments were not very revealing......same old, same old "rifts with Royal Family overplayed," "am here for my nephews but they don't find it all that much fun to be with a 40 year old uncle,"......Nothing earthshattering. It's nice the Diana exhibit is on the road (now in Florida). It would be interesting to find out how much of the proceeds go to Althrop and Earl Spencer and how much to her Fund. I did find one thing interesting--he said certain grand English homes like his with important art and such are required to be open 3 months a year anyway--and so he incorporated the Diana Museum to further increase interest and profits during those months. And I will also say the portions of the traveling exhibit looked very interesting--if it would come to the Midwest one day, I would make every effort to see it. Any other thoughts on the interview?

maryshawn said:
"am here for my nephews but they don't find it all that much fun to be with a 40 year old uncle

They DO, however find it fun to be with an 80+ grandfather.
Prince William in a November 2004 interview: "I'm very close to my grandfather. He makes me laugh. He's very funny."

He let her down.

I can only add that when ,soon after her divorce, Di asked Charles, the brother to whom she has been a kind of mum, to spend some time at Althorp, her own family home, she wanted to rest, she was a wreck, she needed a brother 's affection and understanding, and a place where to hide, he flatly refused, OMG, how can he talk about di as he does now, when she for once in her life, did need his support and he let her down. what a hypocrite.....he even sent his 1st wife to a mental hospital as she was depressed, I heard he even abused her, don't know in what way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, to be fair, he was concerned about security at Althorp. In addition to Diana and her children, he had to be concerned about his own family and Althorp. I'm not sure what it would have entailed to keep Diana safe from physical threats, but it might have been quite difficult to keep reporters away -- and his own children would have been the focus of those photographers too.

(On the negative side we also know that his marriage wasn't going well, he was cheating, and his wife had an eating disorder and substance abuse problems -- he might not have wanted media attention on that part of his life.)

Diana's brother

maryshawn said:
The family footage shot by his father of a very young Diana was captivating. But his comments were not very revealing......same old, same old "rifts with Royal Family overplayed," "am here for my nephews but they don't find it all that much fun to be with a 40 year old uncle,"......Nothing earthshattering

If he had new images or insults. everyone would say that he is trying to get attention from her memory. I think his museum is a fitting tribute to his sister, Since Diana was a huge part in his life. I also think that he did treat Diana unkindly in some ways while she was alive, but I also understand that Diana made the decision to marry Prince Charles; her brother did not force her. It was not his fault that Diana had all of her problems. I understand that he may not have wanted to punish his family because of her.

You're right, how could HE have forced Diana into the marriage? He was only about 17 at the time.

As he's getting older, he's becoming the spitting image of his father.

Isn't it interesting how history repeats itself. As with his father, his first marriage was a disaster, and with his second wife, he is much calmer. It is like a Frances/Raine situation. I am glad to see though, that his first wife Victoria has recovered and now lives happily in South Africa.

Earl Spencer and second wife Caroline

I have just read on Hello website that Earl Spencer has just split from his second wife Caroline. Does someone has more information from British newspapers ? I thought she was pregnant ?

assia said:
I have just read on Hello website that Earl Spencer has just split from his second wife Caroline. Does someone has more information from British newspapers ? I thought she was pregnant ?

She had her 2nd child in April (a girl) and from what I've heard (and don't quote me) he walked out on her. Something to do with an accusation that he "came on" to his best friend's wife. I guess he got into a physical fight with this friend in front of several witnesses, including some of the Earl's own children.

very sad news, the earl spencer had a broken marriage again. lara born in april.

I was very surprised to see the news that Earl Spencer's second marriage has failed, especially so soon after the birth of their second child together. (I saw the news in People magazine.)

Has anybody recent pictures of the children of Earl Spencer?

His daughters must be teens by know, and I have seen one picture, which was once here, but it was too small!

Thanks for any info!

assia said:

Evidently he's taken a shine to an ambitious American anchor woman, Coleen Sullivan. They met when early last year, she visited Althorp to film a documentary for her station re. a Diana exhibition in the town in Ohio, where she was based.

In more recent news, she's quit her job to be with him, denies she broke up his marriage though. To which I say, bullocks.

http://www.bloggingohio.com/2007/01/01/princess-dis-brother-and-ohio-newscaster-in-lovefest/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=426900&in_page_id=1879

Goodness gracious!

Well I feel bad for Countess Spencer (though I am sure most people will say she knew what she married!) and definitely for the kids.

Hope the new girlfriend enjoys it while it lasts. I wonder if he will bring her to the memorial service. That's kind of tacky.

Good points! I'm wondering though: it's never been clear to me how the Earl earns a living, much less how he's able to pay all this alimony..:wacko:

Well he is the Earl Spencer. So didn't a large portion of the late Earl's estate go to him. I don't think he is rich like the Duke of Marlborough (he's the richest peer other than HM right) but he doesn't do too bad.

And really...I am thinking he has prenups (I assuming of course that those exist in England). But in all honestly, it sounds as if they are perfect for each other. He leaves his 2nd wife less than what 2 months after she has their daughter and she leaves her fiancee of 11 years. I am going to with the belief that she is in love with him (though I am thinking she has never met anyone like him - jet setter and all that). When I heard that they had separated my first thought was of another woman...and I was hoping I was wrong..but alas it was not meant to be. Good for his older kids being disgusted with her arrival at Christmas. Does the man ever think of anyone but himself?!

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone can leave their spouse so soon after the birth of a child- unless of course the one is leaving because the spouse is abusive.

ETA: Love this part of the article:
"I worked on the team when she was a kid and she knows how to use a gun. I taught her. This is not a woman who is going to let any man mess her around."
Gotta love it. He better not piss her off. LOL

Last edited:
This from the Daily Mail story, it certainly sounds like Spencer and his new mistress 'deserve' each other:

From the Daily Mail: "Yet, with a single-mindedness reminiscent of Earl Spencer, Coleen recently announced that she was quitting her job because she was 'homesick' for San Francisco.
But she then accepted the Earl's invitation to spend Christmas in Cape Town with the four children from his ill-fated marriage to Victoria, who now lives there.
The couple arrived on December 22 and planned to spend a week at the Spencer mansion in the exclusive suburb of Constantia.
However, after recriminations from his children, aged between 12 and 15, Charles moved Coleen into a £350-a-night suite at the five-star, Cellars-Hohenort Hotel, a few minutes drive from his home.
Others also remain troubled by the relationship, not least Coleen's former fiance, Justin."

Jennifer...I totally agree! Leaving a spouse after the birth of a child or while one is pregnant is very very tacky! According to Wikipedia (which I know isn't very reliable) Caroline Spencer's 1st husband left her as well soon after the birth of a child. She's got to be questioning her choice in men!

Of course the new girlfriend thinks she is different (not like the other girlfriends)...but if she looks at his track record...I would be very scared. And the Earl needs to watch out for that father!

Throughout the years, I have tried to give the Earl the benefit of the doubt...but he is a HOT MESS! And all the women he has done wrong seem to have the same theme....he is just not a nice person when a relationship is ending. I wonder if he has ever really been alone? He seems to go from relationship to relationship.

ETA:

Princess Olga.....that article makes me question her motives. And yes, I know you can't believe everything you read in the papers. But it sounds like she is more taken with what he represents than him. And again...how tacky to bring your new girlfriend to Christmas with your kids!

This is my favorite part of the article:
Yet no matter how serious the allegations, Charles Spencer invariably moves on regardless, seemingly oblivious to the pain and devastation in his wake.

What a sad testament to this man's life.

Last edited:
Zonk said:
Well he is the Earl Spencer. So didn't a large portion of the late Earl's estate go to him. I don't think he is rich like the Duke of Marlborough (he's the richest peer other than HM right) but he doesn't do too bad.

And really...I am thinking he has prenups (I assuming of course that those exist in England). But in all honestly, it sounds as if they are perfect for each other.
LOL I was thinking the exact same

Zonk said:
He leaves his 2nd wife less than what 2 months after she has their daughter and she leaves her fiancee of 11 years. I am going to with the belief that she is in love with him (though I am thinking she has never met anyone like him - jet setter and all that). When I heard that they had separated my first thought was of another woman...and I was hoping I was wrong..but alas it was not meant to be. Good for his older kids being disgusted with her arrival at Christmas. ..
Sounds like his kids, on the other hand, do have the kind of intact moral compass that he seems to be utterly lacking..

can't help but think of Diana, who I loved, but she did have in common with her brother that she wasn't above starting relationships with men that were already spoken for..witness Oliver O Hoare (sp?) the very married art dealer, or even Dodi, who she used as a tool to make Hasnat Khan jealous, while totally dismissing the fact Dodi had a fiancee when she got involved with him...
Not to speak ill about the dead or anything, but I have to say these <are> similarities between these Spencer siblings I can't help but notice..:ermm:

I think the parent's divorce played a LARGE LARGE role in Diana and Charle's relationships. We don't know much about Jane and Sarah's marriages...but they "appear" to be happy with their husbands and are very low key. But then again, they were fairly older when their parents divorced and handled it different.

Charles and Diana on the other hand were definiitely affected. In each of their relationships you can just see the emotional immaturity. In Diana's case it was unfortunate that she married into such a high profile family and to a man who couldn't express his emotions to her. In Charles, it appears that he doesn't respect women at all or at least his marriage vows.

And yes, the one thing Charles seems to do right is to either have good therapist for his children or marry women who know how to raise decent kids.

I completely agree although I gather from what I've read that the earl can be utterly charming. He's also pretty handsome to boot, so yes, it's easy to do the math and see why women go for him. (not to mention the weird-but-true fact that some US-ians tend to have an idiotic reverence for anyone with a British accent)

What I wonder is though, how can this Colleen woman live with herself knowing she tore away a man from his wife and infant? It comes across indeed as a calculated move, almost. Poor Caroline, indeed although in a way she could have counted on both hands that this moment would present itself sooner or later.

Zonk said:
I think the parent's divorce played a LARGE LARGE role in Diana and Charle's relationships. We don't know much about Jane and Sarah's marriages...but they "appear" to be happy with their husbands and are very low key. But then again, they were fairly older when their parents divorced and handled it different.
yes that probably explains a large part of it

princess olga said:
What I wonder is though, how can this Colleen woman live with herself knowing she tore away a man from his wife and infant? It comes across indeed as a calculated move, almost. Poor Caroline, indeed although in a way she could have counted on both hands that this moment would present itself sooner or later.

Probably because she lives (at least for now) in the US & does not have to see the effects of her actions (or his actions for that matter). She is thousands of miles away & I don't think this will make a huge blip on the US radar.

I have heard that Charles can be very charming but its always the ending that leaves much to be desired.

In reference to Caroline, I am sure she didnt' see this coming. When they first got together, Ithought she was too normal for him but he appeared to have learned from his mistakes. Apparently, he fooled a lot of people. Who knows what he told Colleen. She needs to watch her back though and not marry him. As James Goldsmith said, when a man marries his mistress he creates a vacancy.

Jennifer....this is big news in Dayton, OH. Not the only news, but it has received coverage. Check this out http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/01/03/ddn010307coleenweb.html .

Last edited:
It might end up as a blurb in People...but you are right...no big media news. Okay...not to be negative...but I am calling the end of this relationship by mid Fall 2007. She will be at the memorial service as his date.

OK, let me reword what I wrote :flowers:
It will make a blip in Dayton & San Francisco, because thats where this woman is from & where she works. I still don't see this becoming a huge thing in the rest of the States. Unless she writes a tell all book. :ROFLMAO:

Or unless she uses that gun. :D

Didn't he go off with mistresses when his first wife was pregnant? It seems he doesn't care for pregnant spouses or ones who have just given birth. If this Coleen wants to keep him, she'd better be using effective birth control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom