Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense, I wonder if William has met Karen.

If not, he'll surely meet her at the wedding; I just read somewhere that Earl Spencer is attending along with Karen Gordon.

I also read (in Christopher Andersen's book William and Kate), that Kate hasn't met the Spencers, since William is not close to his uncle.

:previous: I wouldn't put too much stock in that book...or maybe the book was written prior to Kate meeting the Spencer's.

Kate and William attended the wedding of Laura Fellowes...I would imagine that she has met a Spencer or two.

True, she must have.
However, I was really referring to Earl Spencer and his offspring.
Robert Fellowes has moved in royal circles since long before William was born and has his own connections ( I think of Laura as a Fellowes rather than a Spencer).

Last edited by a moderator:
The statement about Sir Robert Fellows connections are true. But I still think of Laura Fellow's as part Spencer through her mother, Jane. Mrs. Jane Fellow's remaining siblings would probably attend this wedding and would finally met Catherine.

I think this is true because if Earl Spencer is going to speak at the royal wedding Prince William must have some contact with the Earl. I had a lot of Anderson's books on royals. He is a good writer. I got rid of them because the substance was not always there.:flowers:

I would agree Georgia about Laura Fellowes....both a Fellowes and a Spencer. Imagine your mother's family not counting for a familial connection.

I recall seeing a picture of the Earl's children (Eliza, Amelia and/or Kitty) with Harry after the Diana memorial. For good measure George McC. (Sarah's son) was thrown in the pic.

Considering that the Earl's oldest children spent most of their childhood in South Africa...I wouldn't say that they are close to Harry and Will...but they definitely have somewhat of a relationship.

I will be amazed if Earl Spencer speaks at the wedding!
For one thing, no one other than the Officiant generally speaks, so why would Earl Spencer?

For another, I have read that William did not appreciate that eulogy at his mother's funeral, so I don't see him approaching the Earl for another speech!

Zonk wasn't there a picture and article of Harry and one of Charles Spencer's girls at a club maybe a year ago I think?

sirhon11234 said:
Zonk wasn't there a picture and article of Harry and one of Charles Spencer's girls at a club maybe a year ago I think?

In the article about Lady Amelia going to court there is a picture of her, her sister and Harry at a service for Diana ....so they at least say each other once and awhile....

Yes...there was a Spencer girl with Harry at the club, and Mrs J is referencing the picture that I was also thinking of.

I remember that report, because at least one paper wondered who the mystery blonde was. Of course, we knew that it was his cousin. ;)

But have there been any photos of William with Earl Spencer and/or his children?
I haven't seen any, and it causes me to wonder whether it's true that William really does not care too much for his uncle.

Mirabel said:
But have there been any photos of William with Earl Spencer and/or his children?
I haven't seen any, and it causes me to wonder whether it's true that William really does not care too much for his uncle.

It's possible he likes him as family but not as an individual, from what I've seen of the Earl he calls a lot of attention/scandel to himself and he really 'uses' (for lack of a better word) Diana's legacy to cash in, so maybe William wants to distance from that a bit....or maybe not but that's my guess

We also don't see pictures of William with Jane's family but that doesn't mean they are or are not close.

Since William and Harry (as well as the Earl) are not living in a Big Brother room, we really don't know what they do 24/7 or what relationship they do (or do not) have with the Earl and his children.

I had to laugh at the idea of a Royal Big Brother House. Thanks, Zonk; you gave me my first chuckle of the day.:flowers:

Since William and Harry (as well as the Earl) are not living in a Big Brother room, we really don't know what they do 24/7 or what relationship they do (or do not) have with the Earl and his children.

I think they're a good match. She's a vegan who willingly shoots animals, thus making her a hypocrite and he is is a pluperfect mental case. May they live long and prosper.

I will be amazed if Earl Spencer speaks at the wedding!
For one thing, no one other than the Officiant generally speaks, so why would Earl Spencer?

For another, I have read that William did not appreciate that eulogy at his mother's funeral, so I don't see him approaching the Earl for another speech!
Mirabel. I have been to MANY weddings where a family member does a reading, chosen by the bridal couple. I doubt he will be making a 'speech'. Though he might well offer a toast at the wedding reception.

Mirabel. I have been to MANY weddings where a family member does a reading, chosen by the bridal couple. I doubt he will be making a 'speech'. Though he might well offer a toast at the wedding reception.

I don't recall any readings at any other royal weddings.
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I can't think of any in the past.

Besides, I have heard that William (and Charles) do not have a warm relatinship with Earl Spencer.
I'm sure he'll be invited, but I expect he'll sit there quietly and keep his mouth shut. JMO.

I think it significant that none of William's Spencer cousins are included as attendants in his wedding.

Last edited:
This man has always rubbed me the wrong way and I don't know why.

That he pretended that he was always there for Diana when he wasn't. As another member said, the absence of the Spencer relatives is very apparent though many have speculated that Louis Spencer may be an usher at this event.

So, will Earl Spencer bring Karen Gordon to the wedding? It would be so strange if he doesn't, since she is his fiancee.

Given his track record there is always the possibility the engagement would be over before April 29th.
I certainly doubt this couple will celebrate too many wedding anniversaries, Champage Charlie just seems more of a serial monogamist than a life long partner.

William and Harry reportedly applauded their uncle's eulogy for their mother and are friendly with all their Spencer cousins. There's no reason to think they are not.To date Spencer hasn't been married any more times than Prince Charles. As for Prince Charles liking the Earl, apparently he has never cared much for his brothers in law, including, Mark Phillips and I 've never seen him pictured with Camilla when she attends events like a book signing by her brother Mark Shand.

Of course the Queen and PoW shook hands with Earl Spencer at the opening of the Diana Memorial Fountain in London. Stricly a formality I would guess.

Had not the Earl designed a beautiful memorial place at the family seat, his sister would have no fitting memorial. The fountain in London has been a great disappointment as well as an health hazard in many aspects. Besides Althrop has been opened to the public for decades and was always a popular stately home to visit in that area.

To date Spencer hasn't been married any more times than Prince Charles.

True, though he has been divorced twice, and engaged on at least 4 occassions!

Had not the Earl designed a beautiful memorial place at the family seat, his sister would have no fitting memorial. The fountain in London has been a great disappointment as well as an health hazard in many aspects. Besides Althrop has been opened to the public for decades and was always a popular stately home to visit in that area.

Like it or not, the fountain in London was chosen not by a spiteful member of the royal family, but by a comittee chaired by then Chancellor Gardon Brown. Dissappointment or not, the fountain is a public memorial, and available to all members of the public.

The memorial at Althorp is yet another money making venture by Charlie Spencer. As is publicly known, the relationship between Charlie Spencer and Diana was not the warmest at the time of her death.

The memorial at Althorp is yet another money making venture by Charlie Spencer. As is publicly known, the relationship between Charlie Spencer and Diana was not the warmest at the time of her death.

I think Earl Spencer and Princess Diana relationship at the time of her death were cordial. She visited him in South Africa when she was alone on a holiday. The two relatives that the princess was distance to at the time of her death were her mother and her sister, Jane.

Maybe I look for the best in everyone. The memorial at Althrop was built by the love of a brother for his dead, popular sister. The Earl's speech at Diana's funeral shows to me that he as head of the Spencer family wanted to protect his sister memory. He spent a lot to build the structure, so I don't think he made a profit. The Earl must have know that through the years the grave would not be that popular attraction.

William and Harry reportedly applauded their uncle's eulogy for their mother and are friendly with all their Spencer cousins. There's no reason to think they are not.

I have read that William was very unhappy about that eulogy, and considered it a direct attack on his father (to whom he is said to be exceptionally close).

As far as we know, William's Spencer cousins have no role in the wedding whatsoever. However, as the various wedding events occur, we may be able to get a better idea of William's relationship with the Spencers.

As to the Spencers' relashionship with William and Harry, it always reminds me a remarkable citation of Leo Tolstoi in Anna Karenina: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." I think the Spencers and Wills & Harry have a relationship in its own way, not so close, but I feel there's a kind of loyalty or family love that sometimes bring them together, despite of the destiny which has torn them apart.

I hope the Spencer girls could have some role in W&K wedding, they are so beautiful!!
Lady Kitty Spencer and Lady Amelia Spencer videos in youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6DPab7Rfo&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_diG-ixrU4&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJzvWf9Jwqg&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrK4zbRWMdM&feature=player_detailpage

Princess Diana's niece was today told criminal charges against her had been dropped after she was accused of drunkenly assaulting a man on crutches.
Lady Amelia Spencer, 18, was charged last year with assault after a man claimed she had flicked a cigarette at him before kicking him during a row outside a McDonald's restaurant.
But during a short hearing in Cape Town, South Africa, she was told prosecutors had agreed to drop the case after deciding there was insufficient evidence against her.

Read more: Princess Diana's niece escapes punishment after court drops charges of assault | Mail Online

-------------

On another shallow note, Victoria is looking rather healthy! Good for her...despite the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom