Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why in the article there is a question if she converts to Judaism and not he to Christianity?
Every mention of a marriage between a Judaist and a Christian there is always the same question and the other way round - never.
I have nothing against Judaists but it annoys me.

I think this will be the first of his girls to wear the Spencer tiara if she decides to wear it/it works with her wedding.

LaRae

I think this will be the first of his girls to wear the Spencer tiara if she decides to wear it/it works with her wedding.

LaRae

Hadn't thought of that it will be really nice to see it worn again.

Why in the article there is a question if she converts to Judaism and not he to Christianity?
Every mention of a marriage between a Judaist and a Christian there is always the same question and the other way round - never.

I think it is because most denominations of Christianity no longer prohibit interfaith marriages.

I don't think all branches of Judaism do either but halachically speaking a mother has to be Jewish for any children to be born Jewish which is important to some people even if they aren't religious. Although I believe liberal/reform denominations accept patrilineal decent as well.

If this is true, I hope they're happy. The age gap is older than she is but that doesn't mean they can't make a success of it.

I am always looking a bit suspicious upon such relationships with huge age gaps with a 'sugar daddy' (although I assume she can access quite some money of her own); most of the times they are not very 'equal' (unfortunately, have seen quite a few of them - many of them last but there is something 'off' most of the time). Hope they truly love each other but other than that they both get something out of it: he has his 'beautiful young wife' and she has the lifestyle.

I have a feeling Lady Kitty was always going to marry a man of wealth and means, no matter what his age.

I hope she will be happy. And I also hope she will soon get her own thread, because to be honest there is only rarely non-Kitty news here.:ermm:

Lady Kitty should only convert if she wants to,as the Spencers have been Anglican for centuries ,her grandmother converted to Roman Catholicism out of personal choice.

:previous: I agree. But to be blunt, the important person in the question of whether the Spencers remain an Anglican Christian dynasty is Kitty's brother Louis, the future 10th Earl.

Kitty's conversion-if it happens-will not affect the main line.

Eww. Different strokes for different folks and all, but what on Earth does a 60-year-old have in common with a 29-year-old? My dad is only 10 years older than that guy. It stinks of him wanting some hot young thing on his arm to squire around, and the fact she has a title probably sweetens the pot. I have nothing against age gaps, I think most of them are manageable. This one...eh. I'm not buying it.

It seems like an odd thing to be annoyed by. The reason you see conversion going in one direction and not the other is that Judaism is matrilineal. Meaning, you trace your religious descent through your mother, not your father. A Jewish father with a Gentile mother will give you a Gentile child. That's not the case with Christianity. An Anglican father and a Presbyterian mother will have a Christian baby, regardless of denomination. Many Jews believe it's important that Jews marry other Jews so that there will be Jewish children to perpetuate the faith.

I don't think all branches of Judaism do either but halachically speaking a mother has to be Jewish for any children to be born Jewish which is important to some people even if they aren't religious. Although I believe liberal/reform denominations accept patrilineal descent as well.

Reform Judaism accepts patrilineal descent, yes. If the father's Jewish, it doesn't matter if the mother is or not. As long as the child is raised Jewish, they will be considered Jewish. Conservative and Orthodox Judaism is matrilineal.

Well, be honest, you’d have to be a multi-millionaire to land someone like Lady Kitty Spencer.

Hadn't thought of that it will be really nice to see it worn again.

It would be historic in the fact that the tiara was being used as a wedding tiara by a Spencer lady of the next generation.

Well, be honest, you’d have to be a multi-millionaire to land someone like Lady Kitty Spencer.

Well, yeah, she's not marrying the bloke who works at the local Nando's. You know what they say about people who marry for money — they earn every cent. I wish her well, but I don't see this lasting very long. It almost sounds like something you'd do as a cry for attention, not because you're in the throes of deep, passionate, eternal love.

It would be historic in the fact that the tiara was being used as a wedding tiara by a Spencer lady of the next generation.

Celia McCorquodale looked lovely wearing it for her wedding last year but I suppose she would be the first Lady X Spencer to wear it since Diana.

I don't think this (potential still not officially announced) marriage would be happening if they weren't both who they were but I hope for her sake there's more there than just a wealthy lifestyle. They have been together for a while. There's a quote from a source saying they love Michael because she's so down to earth for a rich guy which made me laugh because nothing about the Spencers in their own words makes me think they are particularly concerned about that.

Eww. Different strokes for different folks and all, but what on Earth does a 60-year-old have in common with a 29-year-old? My dad is only 10 years older than that guy. It stinks of him wanting some hot young thing on his arm to squire around, and the fact she has a title probably sweetens the pot. I have nothing against age gaps, I think most of them are manageable. This one...eh. I'm not buying it.

It seems like an odd thing to be annoyed by. The reason you see conversion going in one direction and not the other is that Judaism is matrilineal. Meaning, you trace your religious descent through your mother, not your father. A Jewish father with a Gentile mother will give you a Gentile child. That's not the case with Christianity. An Anglican father and a Presbyterian mother will have a Christian baby, regardless of denomination. Many Jews believe it's important that Jews marry other Jews so that there will be Jewish children to perpetuate the faith.

Reform Judaism accepts patrilineal descent, yes. If the father's Jewish, it doesn't matter if the mother is or not. As long as the child is raised Jewish, they will be considered Jewish. Conservative and Orthodox Judaism is matrilineal.

I checked: Marc Mezvinsky comes from Conservative Jewish family and he and Chelsea Clinton had an interfaith wedding; Chelsea didn't convert, remained a Methodist.
Given the fact that their marriage is interfaith they probably will let Charlotte, Aiden and Jasper choose their religion while they are of age.

Edwin Schlossberg comes from Orthodox Jewish family but he and Caroline Kennedy married at at Our Lady of Victory (Roman Catholic) Church which obliged the children of the couple to be raised as Roman Catholics, who they in fact are (baptized, confirmed and - in case of Tatiana - married in RCC, although they also observe Jewish traditions, holidays and holy days)

As for Kitty and her "fiance" - no mention of their engagement in Peerage News site.

:previous: I am pretty certain that I read that Tatiana Kennedy Schlossberg's wedding ceremony was conducted by former Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick in an outdoors wedding on Martha's Vineyard...which means she did not have a RC wedding even though she was indeed baptized and raised Catholic.

Edwin Schlossberg comes from Orthodox Jewish family but he and Caroline Kennedy married at at Our Lady of Victory (Roman Catholic) Church which obliged the children of the couple to be raised as Roman Catholics, who they in fact are (baptized, confirmed and - in case of Tatiana - married in RCC, although they also observe Jewish traditions, holidays and holy days)[/B]

Getting married in a Catholic church doesn't obligate you to raise your children Catholic. You can raise your children in whatever faith or lack of faith you want. For example; my maternal grandfather was Catholic, my maternal grandmother was Methodist. They married in a Catholic church. Before they could do that though, my grandfather had to receive permission from the local bishop to enter into what was called a "mixed marriage," because while my grandmother was a Christian, she wasn't a Catholic. She didn't have to promise to raise their children Catholic. In fact, my father and uncle were raised Methodist. They got married in 1943. I've been to many "mixed marriages" in my life between Catholics and non-Catholic Christians and Catholics and non-Christians, and at no point was the non-Catholic spouse expected or forced to raise their kids Catholic.

Has a date been set for the Wedding this year?

Getting married in a Catholic church doesn't obligate you to raise your children Catholic. You can raise your children in whatever faith or lack of faith you want. For example; my maternal grandfather was Catholic, my maternal grandmother was Methodist. They married in a Catholic church. Before they could do that though, my grandfather had to receive permission from the local bishop to enter into what was called a "mixed marriage," because while my grandmother was a Christian, she wasn't a Catholic. She didn't have to promise to raise their children Catholic. In fact, my father and uncle were raised Methodist. They got married in 1943. I've been to many "mixed marriages" in my life between Catholics and non-Catholic Christians and Catholics and non-Christians, and at no point was the non-Catholic spouse expected or forced to raise their kids Catholic.

Hmmm....the Catholic Rite of the Sacrament of Matrimony does indeed require couples to vow that they will " accept children lovingly from God, and raise them according to the teachings of our Holy Mother the Church".

Before Vatican II this was absolutely a requirement in order to have a Catholic wedding.

But the rules have definitely changed. In 1978 Pope Paul VI denied Princess Michael of Kent a Catholic wedding because even though she remained Catholic, she could not agree to raise her children as Catholics.

However when Maxima Zorregueta married into the Dutch Royal family she agreed that her children would not be Catholic, even though she has remained in the Church....and the Vatican granted a dispensation to recognize her marriage as valid.:sad:

Last edited:
Hmmm....the Catholic Rite of the Sacrament of Matrimony does indeed require couples to vow that they will "accept children lovingly from God, and raise them according to the teachings of our Holy Mother the Church".

Before Vatican II this was absolutely a requirement in order to have a Catholic wedding.

The Church could require people to stand on their heads while reciting the rosary, but that doesn't mean people would do it. It's possible my father was mistaken about the conversation his mother had with the priest who married her and my grandfather, but knowing my grandmother, she also could have agreed to raise her children Catholic just so there would be no impediment to the marriage. It isn't like the Church would have forced them into an annulment if they didn't.

The inverse happened with my maternal grandparents. My grandmother was Catholic, and my grandfather was a Baptist. They got married at City Hall, though. My mother and uncle were raised Catholic, and when my parents got married, also at City Hall, my dad said he didn't care if their kids were raised Catholic or not. My sister and I were ultimately raised Catholic, though I'm no longer religious, and my sister is more spiritual/non-denominational.

Well, yeah, she's not marrying the bloke who works at the local Nando's. You know what they say about people who marry for money — they earn every cent. I wish her well, but I don't see this lasting very long. It almost sounds like something you'd do as a cry for attention, not because you're in the throes of deep, passionate, eternal love.

Or has Daddy issues. Oldest child of combined family of 8 children ( and that does not count steps). Mother in rehab. Horrendous divorce. Numerous step parents. Not that it is unusual for that class to have many marriages and various combinations of offspring. I wish her well though and hope she gets what she wants and needs.

Last edited:
And with a country that restricts some forms of Western media, I can't believe most people would know who Lady Kitty and Peter Phillips are in China? Oh well. There must have been some kind of market if the adds were made.

Earl of Spencer attend last night at the screening of the movie 'Dancing at the Vatican" about Huntington's Disease.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQEy__IXYAAnOLK?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQCQfFRWoAoQpaO?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Lady Kitty at the Centrepoint Charity's Annual Ultimate Pub Quiz in London on 11 February

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...ate_pub_quiz,_london?celeb=Lady Kitty Spencer

Lady Kitty attend at the Rainbow Ball for the Richard House Children's Hospice last night 12 February

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8fJGlJHG0-/

Lady Kitty to convert to Judaism ahead of her marriage to Michael Lewis

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...convert-Judaism-marry-millionaire-fiance.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom