Charles and Diana: Visit to Italy - 1985

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jun5

Courtier
Charles and Diana

Attachments

• AADS002756.jpg
    AADS002756.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 572
Charles and Diana

Attachments

• AADS002783.jpg
    AADS002783.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 603
Princess Diana

Attachments

• AADS002162.jpg
    AADS002162.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 559
Princess Diana

Attachments

• DWF15_190539.jpg
    DWF15_190539.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 624
Charles and Diana

Attachments

• AADS002758.jpg
    AADS002758.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 570
Charles and Diana

Attachments

• MX004052.jpg
    MX004052.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 724
Charles and Diana

Attachments

• NW007301.jpg
    NW007301.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 519
More pictures please......

Princess Diana

Attachments

• AADS003101.jpg
    AADS003101.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 634
Princess Diana

Attachments

• ZCV12809071.jpg
    ZCV12809071.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 830
Canada Tour
Diana, Princess of Wales, talking to pop star Bryan Adams during a Gala Entertainment Evening at the Expo 86 Theatre. The Princess is wearing a Jasper Conran trouser suit with a white ruffled blouse. On her lapel she has pinned a Butler and Wilson brooch resembling a snake.

Attachments

• DWF15_475557.jpg
    DWF15_475557.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 475
Hey these aren't pix of C&D in Italy but of them in British Columbia Canada April/May 1986???????? Couple of the outfits she did wear to Italy but this is BC.

The black and white suit she wore in Washington DC in 1985.

Canadiana said:
Hey these aren't pix of C&D in Italy but of them in British Columbia Canada April/May 1986???????? Couple of the outfits she did wear to Italy but this is BC.

Good going Canadiana!:) You are very observant. I guess because, as you say, some of these outfits were also wore in Italy, that the poster got confused.

Tiaraprin said:
The black and white suit she wore in Washington DC in 1985.
Yes, I remember the black & white outfit she wore with the flying saucer hat in Washington.:) The suit is similar to the black & white one posted above that she wore in British Columbia, but a little different. It was double breasted, with a black pleated skirt. She wore a black/white striped blouse underneath it.

Yes I agree, not pictures from the Italian tour.
I am always intrigued to see pictures of her the day she wore that cream dress w/ the long pearls - that was the day she fainted in Canada.

Thanx, I am VERY observant about Diana's fashions cause I have fashion diaries done on her from the day of the engagement Feb 24'81 to the day of her death. I list all official engagements but also weddings, memorial services, polo matches, press photocalls, funerals, airport arrivals & departures and so on. Only thing I don't really list is shopping or just any sighting cause that's really impossible to do. I have them in folders for each year and I have them all wrote up by hand. Right now it's in a total mess cause I have found out new info on ebay or just online so it really needs to be done over which takes quite alot of time which I can't seem to find lately. So I can spot outfits etc really well.
That black & white outfit with the flying saucer hat which btw was dubbed 'the uniform' by the press she worn it so often well she worn it 11 times that I am aware off. She's worn it to Washington, Austria, Japan, West Germany & Canada for tours but the rest of the time in the U.K. But she's worn suits more then that her all time favorite it seemed which she worn 22 times was a v-neck navy (or black as sometimes it seem to photographed bk) with large ball shape brass military style buttons and a grey pinstriped skirt. Do you know which one I mean??? She mainly worn it from early 1987 to late 1992. so good use for that suit wasn't it????:D

Canadiana -

We will welcome your expertise on the fashion occasions!

I have also tried to keep a diary by year of Diana's life, but as you have implied, I'll never be "done" with it because new info (thanks to the web and new books) comes out from time to time.

Me three!! Over the years, I've also been keeping track of Diana's engagements. And here I thought I was the only one with this strange obsession!;)

Canadiana said:
Her all time favorite it seemed which she worn 22 times was a v-neck navy (or black as sometimes it seem to photographed bk) with large ball shape brass military style buttons and a grey pinstriped skirt. Do you know which one I mean??? She mainly worn it from early 1987 to late 1992. so good use for that suit wasn't it????:D

Yes, I know which one you mean - it was designed by YSL of Paris. I always liked that suit. Fergie also had a version of it (although the collar was cut slightly different). I was waiting for them to both turn up at the same event wearing their identical outfits.:)

Last edited:
Squidgy said:
Me three!! Over the years, I've also been keeping track of Diana's engagements. And here I thought I was the only one with this strange obsession!;)

Yes, I know which one you mean - it was designed by YSL of Paris. I always liked that suit. Fergie also had a version of it (although the collar was cut slightly different). I was waiting for them to both turn up at the same event wearing their identical outfits.:)

Yes Fergie did wear a similiar suit in fact for a while they were wearing similiar style clothes.
Do you all have the Debrett's Fashion Guide that's really excellent they updated it in softcover couple years later wish they had again. Only thing I hated about it is they would show the same suit for different years more then once unless she did something different to it what was the point. Better to show something new.
I got into doing this when I bought a book that had it done so I decided to continue on never checking how accurate what they had done when I did found alot more engagements and some wrong dates. I thought I had done a good job which for the most part i did. However last year I bought hundreds & hundreds of British np clippings from 1981-1987 probably 300-400 for each year and especially for 1981 found I had some things wrong with regards to dates like for polo matches (which she went alot too pre-wedding) especially. Tours can be difficult cause you can't always get the correct date to go with the correct outfit. I think I've done pretty well cause of the newspaper articles I mean most will say diana attended such an engagement YESTERDAY so no doubts there about the dates. I do enjoy it immensely and love trying to figure out engagements etc. I'm really itching to start writing it all over but can't seem to find the time. I have done so much on floppy disk but to be honest already I need to do that over and while it looks so professional printed off if I have to add or change something I really need to print it all over again better to do it just on loose leaf paper and put in a folder. So I write it in blue pen, the actual engagment in red, then again the outfit in blue and I also list jewelry everything really except rings plus accessories then the designer (in red pen).
I've VERY organized in case you didn't pick up on that. LOL

Last edited:
Yes the Debrett's books were good as well as those early Diana books w/the dates and fashion listings (but they seemed to end c. 1985.) You are lucky to have access to the UK newspaper clippings - they are the best source. Living in the US I've totally missed out on those.
I'm glad you found this forum - I think you and your well-organized collection will be a great resource for everybody.

Yea I love the debrett's fashion guides also the following books which came out since her death.

Dressing Diana
Diana Woman of Style
Diana Her Life in Fashion
Diana Secret of Her Style
Also love
Diana Her Extraordinary Life which came out in 24 parts (magazine) but also published as a very large book they had alot of her fashions and of course different engagements & tours. I LOVED it.
Yes I know VERY lucky getting actual newspaper clippings from the U.K. I clicked into a source in 1987 and bought mostly whatever he had on hand from then on I'd get whatever he'd come across yearly this last year he got stacks from one of his sources and I was buying 400-800 clippings per year from 1981 to 1987 for a great price. Postage was more expensive to be honest. It always is it seems.

Last edited:
All posts containing pics directly attached to the Forums in contravention of the TRF posting rules have been removed.

Warren
British Forums Moderator

Canadiana said:
Yes Fergie did wear a similiar suit in fact for a while they were wearing similiar style clothes.
Do you all have the Debrett's Fashion Guide that's really excellent they updated it in softcover couple years later wish they had again. Only thing I hated about it is they would show the same suit for different years more then once unless she did something different to it what was the point. Better to show something new.
I got into doing this when I bought a book that had it done so I decided to continue on never checking how accurate what they had done when I did found alot more engagements and some wrong dates. I thought I had done a good job which for the most part i did. However last year I bought hundreds & hundreds of British np clippings from 1981-1987 probably 300-400 for each year and especially for 1981 found I had some things wrong with regards to dates like for polo matches (which she went alot too pre-wedding) especially. Tours can be difficult cause you can't always get the correct date to go with the correct outfit. I think I've done pretty well cause of the newspaper articles I mean most will say diana attended such an engagement YESTERDAY so no doubts there about the dates. I do enjoy it immensely and love trying to figure out engagements etc. I'm really itching to start writing it all over but can't seem to find the time. I have done so much on floppy disk but to be honest already I need to do that over and while it looks so professional printed off if I have to add or change something I really need to print it all over again better to do it just on loose leaf paper and put in a folder. So I write it in blue pen, the actual engagment in red, then again the outfit in blue and I also list jewelry everything really except rings plus accessories then the designer (in red pen).
I've VERY organized in case you didn't pick up on that. LOL
I'd love to see your fashion logs. They sound really cool! Would you be able to upload them onto the internet?

No I don't have them on my computer. I just have it all written by hand and in diffferent coloured folders for each year. Right now it's a total mess cause I got alot of information and it totally needs to be re-organized. I did however have up to mid 1985 done on floppy disk then I printed it off but it's a mess cause there were so many changes as i said. I don't think it will ever be perfect although. It needs to be all done again which is alot of work not sure when it will ever be done properly again.:rolleyes:

I wish I could find one book or set of books that could describe and show every outfit that Diana ever wore. Private or public functions. I could look at it for hours I am sure.

I agree

Christo's Girl
I agree. Maybe they could do three books and separate it by years. 1980-1985 then 1986-1991 then 1992-1997. Can you imagine EVERY outfit? The book would be HUGE! And I would have back problems because I would take it with me everywhere for a while! :D ;)

Did you ever see that book called the Diana Encyclopedia? I heard about it years ago and it was supposed to have a picture of every outfit Diana wore. I have looked for it on Amazon and other places but never found it. If anyone can point me to a website where it is available, I would really appreciate it!

Tenn Girl

tenngirl said:
Christo's Girl
I agree. Maybe they could do three books and separate it by years. 1980-1985 then 1986-1991 then 1992-1997. Can you imagine EVERY outfit? The book would be HUGE! And I would have back problems because I would take it with me everywhere for a while! :D ;)

Did you ever see that book called the Diana Encyclopedia? I heard about it years ago and it was supposed to have a picture of every outfit Diana wore. I have looked for it on Amazon and other places but never found it. If anyone can point me to a website where it is available, I would really appreciate it!

Tenn Girl

Gosh sure would LOVE that book.
Well being I'm slightly obsessed with diana's eng/fashions I'd love a book of each eng. and accompanying photo but cant' see that ever happening just getting an accurate listing of her engagement is a start.
I'd also LOVE LOVE LOVE if a book of every official photo she ever had taken was in a book too that would be a pretty big book as well would be awesome. We did just get that with the Testino book but would be nice to see the official ones from start to finish cause wow did she change.

Canadiana said:
I'd also LOVE LOVE LOVE if a book of every official photo she ever had taken was in a book too that would be a pretty big book as well would be awesome. We did just get that with the Testino book but would be nice to see the official ones from start to finish cause wow did she change.

That would be my dream book too Canadiana! It would be so nice to have a book of her official portraits with notes from the photographers about the photo session!

I guess we can dream on ;)....

tenngirl said:
Christo's Girl

Tenn Girl
I don't believe there is a book actually titled the Diana Encyclopedia. If there were, surely someone here would know. I suspect that this was an eBay seller's description of Debrett's Illustrated Fashion Guide: The Princess of Wales, by Jayne and Terry Fincher. That is an encyclopedic volume on Diana's clothes, and does provide photos of almost all of her outfits through Christmas Day 1990 (in the second edition). Of course, not every EVENT is covered, and many of the outfits are shown only once. One drawback to that book is that it is not completely reliable on dates, and I never trust it until the date is verified elsewhere (also, only the month is given).

Back
Top Bottom