Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He coudl harldy marry Camilla as she was a married woman..

He would not have forced a PB divorce. It would have been an option but extremely unlikely for him to have done so.

He would not have forced a PB divorce. It would have been an option but extremely unlikely for him to have done so.

Obviously. I don't know why anyone would think that he would "force a divorce."

Back in the day, Edward VIII wanted to marry Wallis Simpson. The divorce went through between Wallis and her husband, when her husband took the blame in the courts. So that was how it was done back then.

Back in the day, Edward VIII wanted to marry Wallis Simpson. The divorce went through between Wallis and her husband, when her husband took the blame in the courts. So that was how it was done back then.

Yes but what that has to do with Charles I dont know. Divorce law in the 1970s was different to the 1930s.

Yes but what that has to do with Charles I dont know. Divorce law in the 1970s was different to the 1930s.

I agree Denville, I'm not sure why a divorce from the 1930's would be compared to one decades later after the laws had changed in the UK.

TLLK, I agree with you. Charles and Diana could have dated each other longer to get to know each other better.
Thank you Cyril as had the pair gotten to know each other, I believe that they would have not chosen to marry.

But there is a big difference between these two couples - Wallis and Ernest didn't have children, Camilla and Andrew had.

And it would be highly inappropriate for a future Head of the COE to destroy a family.

But there is a big difference between these two couples - Wallis and Ernest didn't have children, Camilla and Andrew had.

And it would be highly inappropriate for a future Head of the COE to destroy a family.

It was highly inappropriate for the current Head of the COE to destroy a marriage. Or to not go to church, for that matter. Edward VIII didn't seem to care.

That being said, I'm not sure divorce laws in the UK liberalized that much from the 1930s to the 1970s — they either still don't have or have only just gained no-fault divorce.

That being said, it was unthinkable for a Prince of Wales of the time to marry a divorcée, let alone one with children. So there is no reason Charles would ever have gotten involved in or instigated a Parker Bowles divorce. Next question.

It was highly inappropriate for the current Head of the COE to destroy a marriage. Or to not go to church, for that matter. Edward VIII didn't seem to care.

That being said, I'm not sure divorce laws in the UK liberalized that much from the 1930s to the 1970s — they either still don't have or have only just gained no-fault divorce.

That being said, it was unthinkable for a Prince of Wales of the time to marry a divorcée, let alone one with children. So there is no reason Charles would ever have gotten involved in or instigated a Parker Bowles divorce. Next question.

Yes they do.. from 1970 something, the grounds for divorce was the breakdown of the marriage. If a couple lived apart for 2 years and wanted a divorce by mutual consent, they could do so. If one party didn't want a divorce, but they had been living apart for 5 years, it was possible to divorce. Adultery in itself wasn't grounds for divorce, but it was if it caused the other party to feel that they could not overlook it and that the marriage was broken down...
The 1930s was quite different.. There weren't many grounds, adultery was one, but there was still quite a social stigma for a woman being divorced for adultery by her husband...
And yes in the 1970s it was considered impossible for the POW ot either marry a divorcee or to get divorced himself...

Of course he wouldn't have "forced" a divorce. As it stood, after Camilla married APB, Charles remained close friends with the both of them and is even their oldest child's, Tom's, godfather. The Parker-Bowles were part of Charles' "set" until Diana forced that to change.

I'm just going to mention Charles and Camilla's relationship one more time as usually the subject throws the thread off but the one thing that didn't exist in Charles and Diana's marriage was the close, intimate, best friend relationship that carried C&C through the years.

I'm like CrownPincessJava and married my best friend the second time around and that is what has sustained us through the years. Marriage isn't all roses and romance but its being with the person that will hold your hair when you're sick, understand grumpy moods and know instinctively what is bothering you sometimes before you know yourself. They "get" you. Charles and Diana never "got" each other.

A marriage can't work if the man marries just to have children (heirs) and pre marriage the woman expects it to be a love match and the older husband more of marriage designed to produce needed heirs to the throne.. Unless contracts are drawn up and the woman signs agreeing to the terms of the marriage which may not necessarily include love. It would then be more a partnership and a man loving the woman as the mother of his children not romantic love. And the wife agreeing that it can be more or less an 'open' marriage after the children are born. Charles married a young woman who had not experienced much of life and this did not work to the advantage of the marriage.

:previous: Charles and Diana went their separate ways. They even went on separate tours. They may not have always grandly celebrated an anniversary.

:previous: Charles and Diana went their separate ways. They even went on separate tours. They may not have always grandly celebrated an anniversary.

Well no since their marriage was a mess after teh first few eyars, they did begin to lead separate lives and didn't celebrate anniversaries..

Charles and Diana both kept up appearances for as long as possible, according to both of them. They did get together for occasions involving the children.

The marriage was really over even before Harry came along...they just stuck it out mostly living separate lives until things became too much to deal with.

LaRae

According to Diana the marriage completely ended after Harry's birth...She claimed that teh weeks before H was born were happy ones.

If Charles and Diana did not celebrate anniversaries, think of what speculation the press reporters had. First, they might try to calculate an exact reason. Second, they might not get the facts straight and report something that did/did not occur.

If Charles and Diana did not celebrate anniversaries, think of what speculation the press reporters had. First, they might try to calculate an exact reason. Second, they might not get the facts straight and report something that did/did not occur.

Yes all of this happened withe press coverage of the Waleses. They speculated on the state of the marriage. They tried to guess what was happening and what was wrong with the marriage.... They often got things wrong...

:previous: How long would the list of things be that the press got wrong about Charles and Diana?

Honestly, when you get started to add up all the rumors, the speculations, the half truths and the "heard it from a source high up in the palace", I think it would take probably a decade to just begin to list them all. :D

I’m so glad that Charles & Diana had moved past their anger, for themselves, for William/Harry...but wow, they all should have had more time. Diana deserved the chance to find the happiness that Charles had, and William/Harry deserved to have their mum, to have more time with their parents even as a divorced family.

“There’s a really nice moment in this documentary where it talks about when Prince Charles went to Paris to bring Diana home following her death. He was beyond devastated. They were officially divorced, but he did still love her. She was the mother of his children,” Arbiter tells Us. “I think they probably had matured. They let go of their ugliness and I think that the future was looking promising.”

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...es-were-past-ugly-stage-at-time-of-her-death/

Im sure Charles was very upset by Diana's death. he would have to be pretty heartless not to be upset by the tragic loss of a young woman, with kids, who had been through some difficult years, and who hadn't had a chance to come out of the dark days and into a better life. And most importantly a woman he had cared for and who was the mother of his children, but I doubt if he was devastated. He was probably shocked to think of his sons growing up without their beloved mother, grieved and guilty about his part in the failure of hte marriage... but he had found the woman he was happy with and his life was relatively OK by then. I dont know if he and Di had really moved on past the tension and unhappiness. I think they both tired to put it behind them, for the sake of the children but Diana was still struggling to sort out her life, and she wasn't happy that Charles now had a pretty settled relationship with Camilla...

If Prince Charles had been happy when the attention was focused on Princess Diana at times during the royal tours, would this have made a difference in the marriage?

No because his upset at the press being so crazy for her was only one issue in hte marriage.

Im sure Charles was very upset by Diana's death. he would have to be pretty heartless not to be upset by the tragic loss of a young woman, with kids, who had been through some difficult years, and who hadn't had a chance to come out of the dark days and into a better life. And most importantly a woman he had cared for and who was the mother of his children, but I doubt if he was devastated. He was probably shocked to think of his sons growing up without their beloved mother, grieved and guilty about his part in the failure of hte marriage... but he had found the woman he was happy with and his life was relatively OK by then. I dont know if he and Di had really moved on past the tension and unhappiness. I think they both tired to put it behind them, for the sake of the children but Diana was still struggling to sort out her life, and she wasn't happy that Charles now had a pretty settled relationship with Camilla...

Charles took 8 years to marry Camilla, it was not "Settled" at the time DIana died. His grandmother did not want him to marry Camilla in her lifetime. Plus there was the Burrell trial which delayed the marriage and Charles hired a spin doctor for Camilla in 1997 who worked with her for a few years.

I think Diana had moved on from Charles and was in love with Dr. Khan. I don't think Diana and Charles really trusted each other fully at the end but they were civil and would come together for events involving their sons.

I saw no struggling with Diana. She was looking for a role for herself post divorce and was not going to rush into another marriage that quickly (according to her friends).

I dont know if he and Di had really moved on past the tension and unhappiness. I think they both tired to put it behind them, for the sake of the children but Diana was still struggling to sort out her life, and she wasn't happy that Charles now had a pretty settled relationship with Camilla...

I agree.
Diana's relationship with Khan was over, and I don't believe she was ever serious about Dodi.

I always felt she didn't truly expect the divorce to go through and was shocked when it did. She seemed at a loss in the last days of her life.

I'm not sure that it was really over with Khan. Perhaps they would have come to an understanding. I doubt she was ready to rush into another marriage so quickly. She just really dated Dodi and vacationed with him. His father may have been pushing a match for Dodi and Diana but I doubt Diana would have not been so quick to get serious with him if she even planned to at all. She may not even have met her Mr Right. I think she wanted to be single for a while and carve a role for herself. I don't think she'd want to marry for security like Jackie did with Onassis which turned out badly. Jackie found her true love match later on but did not rush into another marriage.

I think Diana did anticipate the divorce she and Charles more or less led separate lives since 1986. And she did say her life was "torture" towards the end of the marriage. After the divorce a lot of the acrimony went away. Diana was not at a loss. She was focused and wanted to plan her future which of course would take some time. She even sold her iconic gowns for charity, in sort of a preparation for her new life. SHe was forward thinking IMO. She did not want Charles back I think that was over for quite some time and was looking ahead. SHe di dnot just sit home and do nothing. She was quite active her last year.

:previous:
Guess we have different views.

Robert Lacey said he believed Diana was "spiraling down" after the divorce, and I tend to agree with him.
(The men she chose were just awful, imo).

Lacey got in some trouble when he talked to Larry King about Diana "better off" dying since she would go "downhill." The phone calls to the King show after that were scathing. I don't think he was a Diana sympathizer. I disagree with him and found what he said frankly horrifying. Diana was a fighter and was working towards carving a new role in life. I see nothing wrong with Hasnet Khan. And Diana dated Dodi I don't think she was going to marry him His Father was friends with her father and Al Fayed was matchmaking. With the years with Charles and the divorce, she would not rush into marriage. She was still young. She was also admired by Mandela and Mother Theresa. Lacey may well have regretted what he said about Diana. Diana was only a divorcee of One Year so I don't get how Lacey can make such a doom and gloom prognosis. DIvorce is a major life event and Diana was planning for her future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom