Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Diana called the media to watch her and the boys at the park. This is the first time I'm ever hearing of this. I know the media followed Diana on a regular bases and when she was with the boys out and about. They staked out Kensington Palace like hawks.

There was even a documentary out about the photographers chasing Diana. The paps would get tips from other paps and they would chase her down and it was even worse when she was with the kids. This was done on their skiing holidays, taking them to McDonalds, out shopping, etc.

I don't think Diana called the media to watch her and the boys at the park. This is the first time I'm ever hearing of this. I know the media followed Diana on a regular bases and when she was with the boys out and about. They staked out Kensington Palace like hawks.

There was even a documentary out about the photographers chasing Diana. The paps would get tips from other paps and they would chase her down and it was even worse when she was with the kids. This was done on their skiing holidays, taking them to McDonalds, out shopping, etc.

Again, you are confusing the paparazzi with the rest of the media. The paparazzi would take pictures and sell them to the tabloids. There is no news video of the night she died in Paris, because the television cameras were not there. How many videos are there of Diana eating at McDonalds or shopping with the kids? We do know that she talked with Richard Kay the night she died, so she did call the media regularly, didn't she?

There are videos of Diana out with the kids shopping and going to McDonalds. The videos are used by the media all the time. The paps followed them all the time.

There are videos of Diana out with the kids shopping and going to McDonalds. The videos are used by the media all the time. The paps followed them all the time.
I'm sure there are a few videos of them walking around but they are probably reusing the same ones because television cameras did not stalk her. My guess is that if there are videos, it was because Diana called them to let them know she was out among the people.

I've posted a link to one source and, as you know there are many others who say Diana called the media. The fact that Richard Kay was one of the last people to talk with her is documented in the official inquiry. We know she cooperated with the Morton book. What is your source that Diana never called the media to upstage Charles or other members of the royal family? I don't think even Diana ever made that claim.

We do not know to what extent Diana was able to instruct and use the media,it does not make much sense to fight over such details because we will never be 100% sure about it.

The title of the thread is Charles and Diana,so let´s discuss anything that is relevant to their relationship!

To change the direction of this thread,I would be interested if anyone knows how Frances Shand Kydd & John Spencer got along with the Queen & Prince Philipp? Did they know each other before Diana and Charles got married and if so-did they have a good relationship? I imagine that they might have met at some royal gatherings,sport tournaments or cultural events etc., I wonder what they thought about each other...

Last edited:
I thought it was being said on the forums that Diana upstaged Charles and royal family with the media. That's pretty much false.

As royal correspondent, Victoria Arbiter has said over and over again and I agree. There are so much false information and rumors about Diana out there that it's nearly impossible to debunk them all. Diana did some crazy things that shouldn't have done and should've been careful in her actions but there are a great deal of false stories too. The tabloids were coming up with all kinds of stories about the Wales's to help fill their papers and a great deal of the stories stuck unfortunately.

To change the direction of this thread,I would be interested if anyone knows how Frances Shand Kydd & John Spencer got along with the Queen & Prince Philipp? Did they know each other before Diana and Charles got married and if so-did they have a good relationship? I imagine that they might have met at some royal gatherings,sport tournaments or cultural events etc., I wonder what they thought about each other...

The Spencer's have a long history with the royal family. The late Earl Spencer served as an Equerry to King George VI in the very early 50's and then to Queen Elizabeth II afterwards. The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Mother and other members of the royal family attended Lord & Countess Spencer's wedding at Westminster Abbey in 1954. Frances mother (Diana's grandmother) Lady Ruth Fermoy was a good friend of the Queen Mother and was also her Lady-in-Waiting for 33 years.

Diana was born at Park House on the Sandringham Estate where the family lived until 1975, so they were close in those days.

I think Earl & Countess Spencer got along well with The Queen & Prince Philip, although the Spencer's split in 1969 and remarried others later on.

Last edited:
I thought it was being said on the forums that Diana upstaged Charles and royal family with the media. That's pretty much false.

As royal correspondent, Victoria Arbiter has said over and over again and I agree. There are so much false information and rumors about Diana out there that it's nearly impossible to debunk them all. Diana did some crazy things that shouldn't have done and should've been careful in her actions but there are a great deal of false stories too. The tabloids were coming up with all kinds of stories about the Wales's to help fill their papers and a great deal of the stories stuck unfortunately.

I am saying that Diana upstaged Charles and the royal family with the media, and I have provided a source. Here's another one. What is your source for saying it was 'pretty much false?'

washingtonpost.com: International Special Report: Princess Diana, 1961-1997

Blauerengel, I don't know the answer to your question. The four of them certainly knew each other, but I don't know what the status of the relationship was.

Those early days of their separation and divorce was total chaos and they did things to hurt one another. I'm glad they let all that pain go before her passing, although I really don't blame her for making a big scheduled appearance on the night of Charles's interview and was pictured in a swimsuit on Camilla 50th birthday party at Highgrove.

Those early days of their separation and divorce was total chaos and they did things to hurt one another. I'm glad they let all that pain go before her passing, although I really don't blame her for making a big scheduled appearance on the night of Charles's interview and was pictured in a swimsuit on Camilla 50th birthday party at Highgrove.

So you don't have a source--and you acknowledge that she deliberately upstaged him after their separation.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but not our own facts. Diana deliberately upstaged Charles BEFORE their separation and I (and others) have cited examples and sources. It's fine if you don't want to believe the facts. No one can tell you what to think or feel. But discussion is much more fun if people who have no basis for their opinions would refrain from asserting those opinion as fact while labeling differing views as "false."

Reactions: Ish
I would recommend that if you haven't already read it, to read "Diana: Shadows of a Princess" by her former private secretary Patrick Jephson. It makes for uncomfortable reading, but it has the ring of truth. He isn't a member of the "Diana was crazy" brigade.

Where is the evidence that Diana called members of the media when she took the boys out and about? Also where is the evidence that Diana scheduled public appearances to take the attention away from other members of the royal family?

Diana's appearance the night of the interview was planned before the interview with the Prince was scheduled. It was a coincidence. As for her making sure she was in the public eye at the time of Camilla's birthday, I believe that.

I'm glad they let all that pain go before her passing, although I really don't blame her for making a big scheduled appearance on the night of Charles's interview and was pictured in a swimsuit on Camilla 50th birthday party at Highgrove.

So you don't have a source--and you acknowledge that she deliberately upstaged him after their separation.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but not our own facts. Diana deliberately upstaged Charles BEFORE their separation and I (and others) have cited examples and sources. It's fine if you don't want to believe the facts. No one can tell you what to think or feel. But discussion is much more fun if people who have no basis for their opinions would refrain from asserting those opinion as fact while labeling differing views as "false."

I have no idea what you're talking about. I have acknowledged that Diana did some bad things and made her mistakes. Also, I have acknowledged that there are false information and rumors about the late Princess of Wales, Prince of Wales and their marriage. I haven't denied anything, I haven't made any excuses for Charles & Diana's (past) behavior at all.

I totally understand that Charles & Diana went through a very touch time when their marriage fell apart. I don't place blame all on one person and make it seem like the one person was a total mistake all together and caused a great deal of chaos. I try to remain fair to both sides at all times and not bash one party over the other.

I try to acknowledge the good times as well because there were some good times too.

Diana's appearance the night of the interview was planned before the interview with the Prince was scheduled. It was a coincidence. As for her making sure she was in the public eye at the time of Camilla's birthday, I believe that.

I too believe Diana made sure she made the cover of the newspapers over Camilla's birthday party at Highgrove.

Last edited:

Re the night of the interview, was that the night Diana was photographed looking stunning in a low cut, short, form-fitting, black, sequined dress? If it was, it might have been a coincidence but what wasn't a coincidence was the fact she instructed her driver to let her out much further from the entrance so she would have to walk much further than was necessary and thereby give the photographers several extra minutes to photograph her looking absolutely fabulous as she covered the distance, guaranteeing it would be photographs of her that would dominate the next day's papers rather than anything about Charles.

Re the night of the interview, was that the night Diana was photographed looking stunning in a low cut, short, form-fitting, black, sequined dress? If it was, it might have been a coincidence but what wasn't a coincidence was the fact she instructed her driver to let her out much further from the entrance so she would have to walk much further than was necessary and thereby give the photographers several extra minutes to photograph her looking absolutely fabulous as she covered the distance, guaranteeing it would be photographs of her that would dominate the next day's papers rather than anything about Charles.

Diana probably did Charles a favor by taking attention off the interview. I did read Patrick Jephson's book a few years ago. Obviously he started working for Diana in 1988, so it was after the breakdown of the marriage.

I have no problem with Diana upstaging other members of the royal family for essentially private events, i.e., birthday parties or Charles's interview. I think it was inexcusable that she repeatedly and deliberately upstaged them when they were trying to draw attention to worthy causes. I believe Diana cared about helping other people, but not enough to overcome her jealousy and pursuit of headlines.

Diana said that she and Charles could have made a good team but that would have required that Diana occasionally take a backseat. She just couldn't bring herself to do that.

I have no problem with Diana upstaging other members of the royal family for essentially private events, i.e., birthday parties or Charles's interview. I think it was inexcusable that she repeatedly and deliberately upstaged them when they were trying to draw attention to worthy causes. I believe Diana cared about helping other people, but not enough to overcome her jealousy and pursuit of headlines..

I find this to be an interesting statement, but I'm not entirely sure I agree.

I have no problem with Diana doing things to intentionally upstage Charles (and even Camilla) at periods in their divorce - when he did his interview and she wore the dress, I get it. I don't have a huge problem when she did things that unintentionally lead to her upstaging others at other events. I don't fault her for changing her hair at the Opening of State, for example, because I don't believe she deliberately set out to upstage the Queen.

I do kind of question what kind of person would go to a private event, like a birthday or a wedding, and try to upstage the person that the event was in honour of. I'm not saying Diana did this, but if she did to me it's rather distasteful of her. There were times when events shouldn't have been about her, and I don't know that Diana always realized that. If she went to a birthday party and deliberately tried to upstage whoever's birthday it was - even if it was the height of the divorce and it was Charles or Camilla's party - then to me that makes her incredibly juvenile, narcissistic, immature, and at least a bit of a certain 5 letter word.

Once again, though, I'm not trying to say that she did in fact do anything of the sort. I don't have any source saying as much, and I'm not really in the mood to search for evidence to say that she did (or didn't) act in such a way. I'm just speaking in a general, hypothetical sense of the issue.

Well, in the particular case at hand when she wore the black F U Charles dress, as it was called in the press, the "worthy cause" was Camilla's birthday, being hosted by Charles. So I can understand her wanting to upstage that a bit.

I thought the F U Charles dress was worn when he was giving the interview during which he admitted to the affair.

Regardless, though, there's a difference between her trying to upstage Charles when he's giving a personal interview, or Camilla on her birthday, by dazzling the media at a different event, and her attending a private event in which she is not the focus of the attention and trying to upstage the person who is said focus. I'm still not saying she did the latter, just that it would be rather reprehensible in my opinion if she did.

Well, in the particular case at hand when she wore the black F U Charles dress, as it was called in the press, the "worthy cause" was Camilla's birthday, being hosted by Charles. So I can understand her wanting to upstage that a bit.

Just checked. It was the night of Charles' interview in 1994 when he admitted his relationship with Camilla.

I don't like that sort of game playing, especially when she was such a hypocrite when it came to their affairs.

Just checked. It was the night of Charles' interview in 1994 when he admitted his relationship with Camilla.

I don't like that sort of game playing, especially when she was such a hypocrite when it came to their affairs.

Indeed :

Princess Diana's Style

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/princess-diana-black-dress-revenge_n_3528843.html

The offensive against Camilla's birthday was in 1997 the infamous and so classy kiss on the yacht (Other sources claiming that Hasnat Khan was the real target in this story).

Last edited:
I thought the F U Charles dress was worn when he was giving the interview during which he admitted to the affair.

Regardless, though, there's a difference between her trying to upstage Charles when he's giving a personal interview, or Camilla on her birthday, by dazzling the media at a different event, and her attending a private event in which she is not the focus of the attention and trying to upstage the person who is said focus. I'm still not saying she did the latter, just that it would be rather reprehensible in my opinion if she did.

I agree. There is a difference between having the media cover her attendance at a different event and upstaging the guest of honor. It is rude to purposely upstage the guest of honor (in the U.S., it is bad manners for anyone to wear white at a wedding because it would upstage the bride). In fairness, however, Diana would probably would have taken center stage at most events by just showing up.

I just think it is even worse to divert attention away from a worthy cause--such as economic development in the third world--because you are trying to hit back at your ex-husband. To me, her actions undermined Diana's image as a person who cared for those less fortunate.

I believe that Diana was very self-absorbed and tried to be the centre of attention just about wherever she was. I think it was just in her nature. I believe she drew attention to herself by her behaviour, even something as simple as looking directly into the cameras rather than just going about her business. I'm not talking about photo-opportunities when you'd expect her to look into the cameras and smile.

From that moment on the riverbank with Charles when she first came to the attention of the media, when she walked back and hid behind a tree and observed them with a mirror, to the time she was photographed riding - with the Queen, I think it was - and she looked back towards the photographer. The proper form would be to just ignore the media, not to seek to connect with them. The revenge dress incident is just the natural progression of what I believe was a personality trait that had been obvious from the start.

I believe she thought she was a gift to the Royal Family, and was miffed when she wasn't treated by them the way she thought she should be, even after she had been having an affair with Hewitt for three years and was apparently also on with Gilbey.

What she didn't comprehend was that her "payback" actions against Charles were not just payback to an estranged husband, but actions against the heir to the Throne, and, as such, an insult to the very institution of the monarchy to which her own son would ultimately succeed. Very childish and short-sighted, in my opinion.

I'm confused, when did Diana try to take some attention away for a worthy cause?

Diane hid behind a tree and hid away from the photographers when she out fishing with Charles at Balmoral, I believe. She was trying to be discrete.

As for Camilla's birthday party- Her ex husband was throwing a party for his mistress at the country home they shared together as a family. I think I would done the same thing Diana did if my ex wife hosted a birthday bash for her boyfriend. Not saying that was Diana's goal but it worked.

I think one of the worst examples of Dianas "acting out" was when she was spreading the rumour that Tiggy Legge Burke had become pregnant by Charles and had an abortion and then going up to Tiggy at a party and saying "sorry about the baby". Worse still she was actually proud of doing this and bragged about it.
She was obviously jealous of the affection her sons felt for Tiggy although that would in no way excuse such disgusting and malicious behaviour.The boys affection for Tiggy never diminsihed since she was Williams invited guest at eton and her son was a page at his wedding.

I think one of the worst examples of Dianas "acting out" was when she was spreading the rumour that Tiggy Legge Burke had become pregnant by Charles and had an abortion and then going up to Tiggy at a party and saying "sorry about the baby". Worse still she was actually proud of doing this and bragged about it.
She was obviously jealous of the affection her sons felt for Tiggy although that would in no way excuse such disgusting and malicious behaviour.The boys affection for Tiggy never diminsihed since she was Williams invited guest at eton and her son was a page at his wedding.

I agree. This was at about the same time as the Panorama interview. It was widely reported that Harry and William were furious about the interview and chose to spend Christmas with their father, but I wonder if Diana's false allegations backfired against Diana with her sons. Only the two of them know, but I wonder if that incident really undermined her credibility with them.

Indeed :

Princess Diana's Style

Princess Diana's Black Dress Was The Best 'Revenge' After Separation (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

The offensive against Camilla's birthday was in 1997 the infamous and so classy kiss on the yacht (Other sources claiming that Hasnat Khan was the real target in this story).

I don't think that Camilla (or Charles for that matter) really cared if Camilla's party was on the front page of the paper. I can't think of a time that Camilla sought out publicity for her own sake. That is the real difference between Diana and Camilla. Diana needed media affirmation and the adoration of millions of strangers, but couldn't maintain adult relationships with anyone. Camilla doesn't deliberately upstage anyone because she seems perfectly happy with the love of her family and friends.

I remember when Charles fell off his polo pony during a polo match in 1990. He broke his right arm above his elbow and had to be rushed to the hospital. Diana was due at the hairdresser that day and heard about Charles's accident. She cancelled her appointment to rush at his side. Once he left the hospital, he and Diana headed back to Highgrove. Upon arrival, Diana saw CPB there to help comfort him and to recover. Diana left Highgrove in tears and went on to her hair appointment.

I agree. This was at about the same time as the Panorama interview. It was widely reported that Harry and William were furious about the interview and chose to spend Christmas with their father, but I wonder if Diana's false allegations backfired against Diana with her sons. Only the two of them know, but I wonder if that incident really undermined her credibility with them.

I love the fact William and Harry decided to spend Christmas with their Father and Grandparents and the rest of the Royal Family after that Panorama Interview ( I know that sounds bad) But at the same time it kind of sad too and it probably broke Diana heart after realizing the effect her Interview had, But William and Harry were old enough to know what Diana was Doing and I am sure like any kids they didn't appreciate some of things she said about their Father and his Family. Diana may have been divorce or separated but it was still their family. Diana did end of regretting that Interview later.

Charles was a reprobate. He kept a mistress and then some of you complain because, Diana, tried to upstage that. Please. The boys love their mother, the previous post is ridiculous. You have no idea what they were told, as they were children. The both include her in everything they do. Kate wears her ring. If they had any problem with her, that would not be so. Charles is a fussy old man, I am older. He married his mistress, and they seem to be very happy, together. It was the woman he should have married. But the RF was too good for her. Now, she is here. They needed some one "pure" for their holy son. It ruined several lives.

I love the fact William and Harry decided to spend Christmas with their Father and Grandparents and the rest of the Royal Family after that Panorama Interview ( I know that sounds bad) But at the same time it kind of sad too and it probably broke Diana heart after realizing the effect her Interview had, But William and Harry were old enough to know what Diana was Doing and I am sure like any kids they didn't appreciate some of things she said about their Father and his Family. Diana may have been divorce or separated but it was still their family. Diana did end of regretting that Interview later.

I'm sure it was a difficult choice for William and Harry. Diana's biggest problem is that she never thought about consequences before she acted. I remember watching the interview and thinking about how her children and Camilla's children felt--but Diana apparently never thought about how the children would feel until it was too late.

Charles was a reprobate. He kept a mistress and then some of you complain because, Diana, tried to upstage that. Please. The boys love their mother, the previous post is ridiculous. You have no idea what they were told, as they were children. The both include her in everything they do. Kate wears her ring. If they had any problem with her, that would not be so. Charles is a fussy old man, I am older. He married his mistress, and they seem to be very happy, together. It was the woman he should have married. But the RF was too good for her. Now, she is here. They needed some one "pure" for their holy son. It ruined several lives.

WRONG. The Royal Family was way to good for you little precious Saint Diana the all mighty!

And William And Harry knew everything that was going in and even Diana would talk to them about what was going and how bad their father was which was wrong of Diana to that! They saw magazines, newspapers, interviews. heard the fights,. They know more of went on then we do. Also Diana had many affairs of her own as well!

Also William and Harry loves their father just as much as their mother even with all the faults and mistakes. And they are also close to Camilla, No Camilla will never take Diana spot and she knows that but they are still close to get and are happy that their father is happy

You make it sound like William and Harry hated their Father and want nothing to do with him which is far from the truth!

Back
Top Bottom