Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Charles has always been old for his age while Diana was young for hers. He wanted a wife who would fit into his already well-ordered world, whether on Britannia or not.

It never seemed to Charles, from my reading about their courtship, that he expected his well-oiled life to change much in any way after marriage, except that he would have a partner who would fit in and they would eventually have children who would also fit in --- with him.
no I shouldnt' think he did, but then, he was the POW, he was an old fashioned kind of man. I think that he was right to see Di's friends as lightweight and probably he did find them boring. And why should he take an interest in Michal Jackson etc? If it was Ok for Diana to be bored by HIS interests, why could he not be bored by hers? Diana HAD given a performance of a girl eager to learn about what interested Charles and who already shared his country life interests...So Charles probably thought that they had a reasonable amount in common as it was, and that he hoped she'd as she grew older, share his interest in reading heavy stuff and so on..
I don't believe he refused a tennis court until much later, when she and he were at odds and he problably thought (if this story is true) why should he build a court for her when she only came to Highgrove at the weekend ot bring the kids...
I don't believe he expected her to Share everyting, but he did believe that if she was not into say reaeding something with him, or going shooting, she would amuse herself doing something she enjoyed, on her own or with her own friends. As Cam does now./..But Diana from early days seems to have gotten upset and wound up that C was going out, and she needed someone to look after her.

It was fate that the two married. Our life is already planned for us. It was meant for Charles and Diana to come into each other's life, even though it was only for a season. You really can't say they shouldn't have married. It wasn't all that bad of a marriage either. Sure you can say, the later years were crazy, but I know those early years were filled with love and laughter and two beautiful kids came out of it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I consider that we plan our own lives by the choices that we make. I believe it is fair to say that they shouldn't have married, since they were totally unsuited. There would have been other children if they had married other people.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I consider that we plan our own lives by the choices that we make. I believe it is fair to say that they shouldn't have married, since they were totally unsuited. There would have been other children if they had married other people.

I've learned to appreciate what they had. They had some very good days, love, laughs and William and Harry were produced out of the love they shared. Charles and Diana was also a beautiful couple too.

Yes, we make our own choices, but I believe those choices are already put in place for us and the paths are already paved before us. Like all relationship and marriages, sometimes our paths cross for only a season. It wasn't meant for Charles and Diana to have a long and successful marriage. What they had was only for a time. That's fate. What was for them, was for them. When it was over, it was over.

Last edited:
I do believe that there is truth in both statements that our purposes here in this lifetime have certain goals to accomplish and we also have free will to make our own choices. That's the human experience. That's why things called mistakes exist. We learn from them.

Nothing is ever good or bad in black and white and that goes for Charles and Diana's marriage. Both had the opportunity to create or destroy what they had and what they wanted out of each other. They had the opportunity to work to be a united team against the world or try and make the other into something they wanted the other to be.

A lot of good came out of the marriage. Most importantly William and Harry. Perhaps the BRF also, even seen at their worse, became more humanized and seen to have as many troubles as anyone else. Perhaps with a failed marriage between the heir to the throne and a "perfectly suitable" bride gave way to realizing that the only reason for a marriage is a deep love between two people going into it and not for crown and country and heirs and spares.

Perhaps Diana completed her purpose on this Earth and has left behind so many reminders of who she was, the issues she called attention to that benefited many, many lives and even more importantly, maybe allowed Charles to see what it is like to be truly loved. Sometimes you have to experience something very wrong in order to realize what is very right and he now has that with his Camilla.

Reminds me so much sometimes of a Garth Brooks tune called "The Dance"

And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance

no I shouldnt' think he did, but then, he was the POW, he was an old fashioned kind of man. ...

Yes I agree. But I at least think our human mission is to learn from life. And given what he's written that I have read, the POW agrees. We take past past lessons and infuse them into the present and the future. It's why he is working on building modern communities that are infused with architectural meaning and purpose. When he plumps for spaces in which people can have full lives he is saying "learn from life."
Sadly, IMO, neither he nor Diana saw how the other was moving forward. Learning from life. He had his way and she, hers.
Both had a need to be "right." And sadly, wanting to to be the "right" person in the room means that everyone else is somehow wrong. Pity, really, because none of what they dealt with in their marriage was a black/white issue.

I'm one who doesn't believe that Charles and Diana were "doomed from the beginning." However, I do believe that they both gave up too soon on their marriage. I do think that Diana needed more time to spend doing the royal round with Charles before her first pregnancy as well as having more time just being husband and wife. With learning how to get along with his family, learning how to be the Princess of Wales, learning how to be a married woman with home responsibilities, plus having a baby, it's a wonder she was able to perform publicly at all after that summer of 1982. It's not surprising she went into a depression and lost all that weight. Yes, she married willingly, but I'm not convinced that she really understood what being Princess of Wales involved. We see her life from the point of view of seeing her dressed up and "meeting and greeting". We don't see the paper work, the decision-making, the required entertaining at home, etc. The books that she was recommended to read would have been a help had she read them, but they wouldn't have prepared her at all for the media storm and Diana-mania. I think that Prince Charles is, at heart, a decent man who was likely bewildered at what was happening with his young bride. He had lived for 32 years in the royal system and had no idea what a shock it was to marry into his family and wake up a princess with all the attendant expectation and responsibilities. I have sympathy for the young Diana, although I realize that she caused a lot of her own problems later on.

Nothing is ever good or bad in black and white and that goes for Charles and Diana's marriage. Both had the opportunity to create or destroy what they had and what they wanted out of each other. They had the opportunity to work to be a united team against the world or try and make the other into something they wanted the other to be.

Perhaps Diana completed her purpose on this Earth and has left behind so many reminders of who she was, the issues she called attention to that benefited many, many lives and even more importantly, maybe allowed Charles to see what it is like to be truly loved.

And a major rival. Everyone seems to forget her insecurity and his entitlement. When she became the world's darling, he was jealous. He thought he had married the run of the mill aristocrat that knew how the game was played. He didn't realize she was a needy person, as he was, and now who was going to tend to them. The world revolved around him, now, suddenly it revolved around her.

It was fate that the two married. Our life is already planned for us. It was meant for Charles and Diana to come into each other's life, even though it was only for a season. You really can't say they shouldn't have married. It wasn't all that bad of a marriage either. Sure you can say, the later years were crazy, but I know those early years were filled with love and laughter and two beautiful kids came out of it.
I don't agree. They had some feelings, but it was IMO a pretty bad marriage. Diana was bitterly unhappy and almost suicidal. It was only planned in the sense that botht of thtem were at a stage where they felt they needed to marry, and that blinded them to the signs that they weren't compatible.

And a major rival. Everyone seems to forget her insecurity and his entitlement. When she became the world's darling, he was jealous. He thought he had married the run of the mill aristocrat that knew how the game was played. He didn't realize she was a needy person, as he was, and now who was going to tend to them. The world revolved around him, now, suddenly it revolved around her.

yes he was jealous, but that's only human. He was used to being the star of the show and that's how it was meant to be. Diana was meant to be his support act, even if she had more charisma than him.. but she didn't stick with that. She began to use her charm and charisma against him, rather than using it for the good of the RF and him. He worked hard, he was a serious man, He tried to use his position to do good, so of course he was going to be annoyed when he found that Diana got more adoration than he did, just for being pretty and wearing a nice dress. He did try to tend to her needs, he did try and be the kind of husband she wanted, when he realised that she was so needy, but it was difficult for him.. and I think that when they married, Di soon became so unhappy that it was all about her, and Charles' didn't get any "tending" or support in return from her.

I'm one who doesn't believe that Charles and Diana were "doomed from the beginning." However, I do believe that they both gave up too soon on their marriage. I do think that Diana needed more time to spend doing the royal round with Charles before her first pregnancy as well as having more time just being husband and wife. her own problems later on.
I am not sure if they were utterly doomed, but I think that the marriage was not one that was likely to be a very close or happy one. I agree that both of them probaby did give up on it too soon. Diana was so miserable, from early on, that while she made a few attempts to fit in, she wasn't really able to do so properly. She learned to do the royal job, but she didn't really learn how to cope with the RF in private or why it was necessary to try and get on with them. THe RF hang together because they NEED each other.. no one else knows what it is to be royal, so they do need each other as a support system. But I think that when Di saw her in laws up close, she didn't like them much and found them hard to adjust to, and didn't see that it was necessary to try and fit into their ways and learn from them...Same reason problaby that she didn't want to read the books on previous princesses..She was bullish and a bit arrogant probalby because she was scared of being found wanting..
I think that yes it is possilbe she got pregnant too soon and had the problems of becoming a mother, coping with her bulimia and depression before she had adjusted to being a wife, and learning the Royal job. And Charles tried to be there for her, but she was not easy to help and he had the image of Camilla in his mind.. He could not understand the whole Di mania thing but he could see that it was a big strain on his wife.. and he could see she wasn't really coping that well, but he problaby felt that there was only so much he could do to help.. and the more Diana was difficult the more he thougt longingly of Camilla and how easy and good tempered she was..
MAYBE given time, if Di had had a few years to learn being Princess of Wales, and adjust to being C's wife and to the RF, and THEN had a baby, she would have had a chance to mature gradually.. But I think it would have required marriage guidance and therapy, and perhaps it would also have meant that they both ahd to realise that it was never going to be a wonderfully close marriage. They had different interests, they had different friends, and Charles had his work that kept him busy..I think they would have had to realise that perhaps they needed quite a bit of space from each other, and to try and make the best of the things they had in common.. but If they were spending time apart in the early years, that wasn't what the press wanted from their glam new couple. If they were spending time apart, seeing their own friends and pursuing their own hobbies, I think the press would have been sniffing around saying
"why don't they spend more time together? Why is she in London playing tennis while he's up at Balmoral shooting and painting? Is the marriage a failure? Are they both seeing other lovers?"
So I can see that the RF problaby felt that they HAD to be seen spending time together, that It was a good idea to have a baby early as it gave them something in common,
and I think that Di found it hard to adjust to the idea that her fairy tale romance wasn't a fairy tale, and that for her marriage to work, she had to learn to adjust to NOT being looked after by Charles and spending time iwht him all the time.. So she got more neurotic and fed up and began to get angry with C for not wanting to be with her all the time and began to turn to other people to give her full time companionship, and after a while that tuned to looking for another lover.
I think that the marriage would have been a very very difficult one to work out, and their public position and the Di mania made ti hard for them to do the things that might have saved it..

Last edited by a moderator:
I thiknk that there was a tragic inevitability about the marriage. Charles was 30, he knew he had reached the age when he was supposed to marry... and he wasnt' really keen on the idea. He knew he had to marry a girl who was a virgin and he wasn't keen on much younger women. So I think when he met Di, and she seemed sweet and charming and pretty and eager to fall for him, he was problaby glad that he seemed to have a girl who was very lovely, pretty enough to attract him and who seemed to be falling for him. She also seemed to be willing to learn about his life, to sympathise with his problems and he thogght that even if his usual taste was for an older woman, she was not gauche or unattractive or unlovable. Everyone seemed to like her and think she was very suitable to be a Princess. She was from the right sort of family and knew the ropes, he thought.. so he was willing to "make himself fall for her". And Because of thtat, I think he was able to overlook his niggling fears that maybe she was too young and more naïve than she at first came across..and that she didn't really know much abuot his interests..
and Diana was a fragile damaged girl who had reached an age where she too wanted to get married. She had no career ambitions, she was shy with men and afraid I think of getting involved, because while she was keen ot marry and have kids, she was afraid that it might turn out badly as her mother's marriage had done.. But she had a low self esteem and believe that the only way she could fulfil herself or stand out from the crowd was to make a successful marriage, preferably to someone socially prominent...
so here was the POW paying court to her.. He had to stay married, so that was a plus. he was older and she was looking for someone to guide her and look after her..
and she made herself believe that she shared his interests and that she was willing to fit in with what he wanted of her...
so I dotn believe that either of them would have ended the relationship, even if they had had more time to court. I think they were both fixated on "I want to get married and this person is the right one for me"..

Or Queens. It was said that a crowd of photographers were once baying for Maxima as she and King Willem-Alexander were leaving a building after an engagement. The King left ahead of his wife, but just laughed. "Here you are, gentlemen," he said. "Here she is!" as she appeared behind him. And Maxima is known to have enjoyed tremendous popularity in the Netherlands since her marriage. There was none of that with Charles, though, he was just a very insecure character and his reaction to the media and crowds loving his wife proved it.
I don't think that C is to be blamed fro gradually becoming fed up with Diana's stealing his thunder. He had been POW for a logn time, done a lot of good work on his own, and now his young wife, who was still very much uneducated and not really doing anything but smiling and looking pretty, was getting so much attention. And I don't think he was hating it, at first. Letters that are said to prove that he was unhappy which are quoted In Bradfords Bio, seem to me to be saying the opposite, that he was worried by the adoration and press attention because he felt that no girl of 20 or so, could put up with it for long.. that the press were watching her every move and that when she slipped up, they would turn on her..
And I seem to recall his saying to some press guy when they were in Austrailia, "look at her, isn't she beautiful? I'm so proud of her." But I can understand that constantly hearing people calling for Diana and ignoring him, was bound to get to him..
He began to feel that Diana got adored for just turning up, whereas he got ignored even though he did work hard and tried to contribute something solid to the people...

Gradually too, I think thtat he began to feel that Diana was so sweet with the crowds and was adored by tehm, but they didn't see her when she was being difficult, as he and the RF did, and he felt increasingly annoyed by this.
As for her behaivor over the kiss at the polo match, she did behave badly there, and I'm not surprised he was annoyed

This is why I like Berry's book. She does tell about the good times and the bad times and the ugly times but its done tastefully without denigrating either Charles or Diana. She doesn't reveal any "dirty secrets" and is chock full of amusing anecdotes of every day life around Highgrove.

Not quite. :flowers: She tells some harrowing tales of the full scope of their quarreling. What is clear is Diana was a handful. Not sure many men would have survived her, though one did (James Hewitt). Seems the requisite was that she be the very center of attention, what many fault Charles for. Chalk and cheese? Maybe not in all things. Too much alike, in fact, in some respects, to be compatible.

That's just it. Its not a book which is a "tell all" that comes from authors digging up dirt and having sources that "are high up in the palace" and "close to the couple" and whatever else they use and although the book is focused around Charles and Diana's life at Highgrove, there is a lot in the book that gives good insight into just how their lifestyle was, how mischievous William and Harry were and how the royals interacted with their staff and just gives a general look at the life and times of Charles and Diana from a person that lived there. Berry was telling the story from her own perspective and her own experiences.

My understanding (from Berry herself) is that she wrote the book to counter the prevailing stories at the time that Charles was not a good parent. She was specifically writing to set the record straight about that. (She actually admits to being utterly charmed by Diana upon first meeting. In fact, I speculate that Berry was not invited to stay with Charles at Highgrove when the household was finally being broken up because Berry was seen as more Diana's servant than Charles'. Possible.)

Still wrong. She signed a confidentiality agreement and broke to for money. Do you think the book woud have sold all that well had it not been for the Waleses well known marital troubles? IF it was just cute little bits about Wil and H etc.

Actually, by her own account, the book was undertaken to off-set what she saw as a grave disservice to Charles in the national press. Not money. Also, I read somewhere that the book was actually banned in the UK. Is that correct? I assume it can be gotten now (Amazon, Used Books), but in 1995 it was not available in the UK. Is that correct? Anyone know for a certainty?

However the issue is, is she a credible source? I imagine she is, yes, fairly much so. If she didn't take sides, odds are that she's more creidble than other staff who did have one side they favoured, or had been fired/left their jobs and were at outs with Diana.

What makes her credible is that she sees both sides, not that she takes a side. She explains in detail how charming Diana was, and how decent Charles was as an employer. She is also very clear where Diana was a handful. What I found interesting was how she describes Charles, with a temper, yes, but also how decent he really was to servants (a skill-set Diana lacked, unfortunately).

Anyway, one comes away with a sense of a balanced view, but not one shorn of sympathies and antipathies. She had been a teacher prior to that posting, so her even-handedness can be explained, but like a teacher in a conference, she lets us know the unpleasant, too.

BTW, Berry was pilloried in the press at the time for writing the book, and her background was put into question. It is one of the examples of how nasty it got back then. :sad:

I've just been rereading 'The Housekeeper's Diary' by Wendy Berry, having clawed it out of the bookcase of a friend who borrowed it a decade ago and 'forgot' to return it. It's amazing how little one retains of the content of such books after not reading them for years and years! I think Mrs Berry is quite balanced.[...]

Charles's consideration for others is recorded, mixed with demands for his staff to go the extra mile to the extent of having to drive 90 miles to Windsor to deliver something he'd forgotten

I feel I need to say something regarding this. :huh: Fact is, if one has the monetary means to have servants, like an assistant (for example) this is exactly the kind of errands one's assistant understands is part of the job. That's why the assistant has been hired.

Having been on both sides of the fence on this one, I do know that being set the task to take a long drive to fetch something (or whatever) is viewed as a welcome 'time-out'. I for one loved being out-and-about. :flowers: And while perhaps an extreme 'perk' for the employer (when viewed from a 'have-not' position), it was one of the reasons I was hired as an assistant. I understood that and hardly 'resented' it.

As for the 'other side', when the said employer is handling multiple households, the 'problems' can be very different from someone who has one household to consider. This is really a 'have's' and 'have's not' situation.

Bottom line, these kind of comments just accentuate how different the 'worlds' are between the rich and the not-rich. JMO.

Diana's freezing out of staff for no conceivable reason that they knew, upsetting loyal people like her dresser terribly, the separate arrangements made for everything including meals in those last few years of cohabitation.

These, and other examples, are evidence of poor manners imo. As charming as Diana was with Mrs Berry at the hiring interview, or as charming as Diana was with all the public on her walkabouts, in her conduct in her personal life 'she was no lady', as the saying goes. She exhibited more 'entitlement' than did Charles imo. Charles is more his mother's son than some give him credit for.

The 'lets take this opportunity to read these books by my favourite philosopher so I can enjoy myself and you can be educated and enlightened and learn to share my interests' notion of Charles' was a good indicator of the huge gap between these two. They should never have married.

One can have divergent interests and still be politely respectful of one's spouse's interests. Case in point, I will never attend ComicCon (again) but I understand why it's my husband's interest and why he will forever attend without me. :D Yet, I enjoy our evenings together when he returns and regales me with stories. (Best way to 'attend' imo). :cool:

BTW Diana told 'us' (the public) long after the fact that she was bored on her honnymoon (pretty crass, if you ask me) and suggested all manner of impolite things about Charles. We do not know (in fact) what she was communicating to Charles at the time. To go by his smiles, my guess is Charles was bamboozled by Diana's duplicity with him. :sad:

Last bit, it is my opinion that Charles' so-named 'jealousy' (his public sober manner at the time) was a bit more complex and layered. Diana was likely causing him more substantial concerns than any superficial concern over 'popularity'. In a state of acute animus towards him as husband and father, Diana was raising Charles' heir. Enough in that alone to cause brooding.

Last edited:
She stole his thunder, because she was pretty and wore beautiful clothes. No one ever credited her with anything, else at that time. But a beautiful woman in a gorgeous dress will steal the thunder of a man in a suit any day. Charles had entitlement. He never could have accepted that. Part of the problem. Not the whole thing. And Charles was no paragon of virtue. Was he a good parent. Yes. Did he see warmth given to his children he never had from their mother. Yes. Diana is dead almost 20 years. Charles has had the ability to marry his mistress and go on. So, it easy to say things about a person many here didn't know then, at that time and judge them.

Yes, it was banned. In fact, that's one of its selling points as a used book: "Banned in Britain."

Also, I read somewhere that the book was actually banned in the UK. Is that correct? I assume it can be gotten now (Amazon, Used Books), but in 1995 it was not available in the UK. Is that correct? Anyone know for a certainty?

Charles obtained a (British) High Court injunction against Mrs Berry in an attempt to stop her publishing her book in Britain. Because of this it was published in the US, (exported elsewhere) and banned in Britain.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but I was regularly flitting between Australia and the U.K. in the mid-1990's and I saw it in Australian bookshops, and bought a copy. I later transported another copy back to Britain in my luggage, after a visit to New York, as I'm sure thousands of others did when returning from the US and different parts of the world. I never saw Mrs Berry's book in any bookstore in Britain.

Prince will not sue housekeeper who betrayed secrets - Telegraph

Mrs Berry, the housekeeper, not Charles's personal assistant, had to transport the forgotten item (a box of chocolates, a birthday gift to the Queen: apparently there were no confectionary shops in Windsor!) on one occasion she describes.

On another occasion she wrote about, someone else not connected with Charles's office (not a PA) had to drive all that way and back because a watercolour painting had been forgotten. IMO Charles was just as selfish and self-absorbed as Diana could be, in a lot of ways. It was just expressed differently.

I enjoyed 'The Housekeeper's Diary'. It gave an authentic view of Charles and Diana's marriage in my view, and Mrs Berry was, by and large, evenhanded. However, the reader would also have his/her mindset on Charles and Diana confirmed, I think.

If you like Diana you would point to the bad things Charles did, recounted in 'The Housekeeper's Diary'. If you like Charles you would do the same for Diana.

We, the readers,' life experiences come into this too, and, IMO, reinforce our prejudices/outlook on these two people when we read anything about the Wales's marriage.

Last edited:
For anyone that is interested in hunting Berry's book down, its available at abesbooks.com for $3.47 (includes shipping within the USA). :D

The admiration of Diana was extremely shallow, I can understand why a man who is actually doing something of substance would get annoyed with everyone talking about what his wife wore. It wasn't Diana's fault but lookin back I can see how utterly immature and ridiculous the media was with her. The crowds were one thing I don't fault them for being dazzled they only had 5 secs to spend with a royal; but the papers who are supposed to be covering these events are another thing. I think that's probably the reason Kate has a tendency to recycle.

the media was reportng what sold. People liked Diana, I don't believe ti was shallow.. unless you think that all charm is shallow. She had a warm heart which came across in her meetings with the public. She was able to talk to people without being condescending or stiff like most royals. She dressed nicely which was expected of a royal lady.. She was shy, at first but she turned up and did her job. Yes I can understand that Charles was jealous nad that he felt that his serious work was being undermined by "what Diana was wearing" but if he and she had been able to work together better, they could have complemented each other. He cuodl do the serious talks and she could do the talking and charming people. And as she grew older, she developed serious interests herself..

absolute nonsense if Berry really said she wrote the book to counter allegations that charles was not a good parent or whathever. She wrote it for money, pure and simple

C
Prince will not sue housekeeper who betrayed secrets - Telegraph

M
On another occasion she wrote about, someone else not connected with Charles's office (not a PA) had to drive all that way and back because a watercolour painting had been forgotten. IMO Charles was just as selfish and self-absorbed as Diana could be, in a lot of ways. It was just expressed differently.

IWales's marriage.
well i dont really see that as selfish, perhaps thoughtless, but that's what staff are paid for. However I am sure Charles was not always easy to work for and neither at times was Diana. WIth Diana I think ti was her unhappiness and fragility that made her a bad employer at times. She wanted her staff to be freinds but then began to worry that they were taking advantage of being friends with her. She wanted to have them loving her and saw any slight difference or lack of loyalty as a sign of them NOT really being true to her and she would cut them out. So she cut off Burrell's wife, for some reason and expected him to put up with the fact that his wife who had worked for Diana was persona non grata...
I dont intend to read the book, becuase i feel Berry was completely in the wrong in writing it.. and we dont really need her stories to tell us that the marriage was unhappy and full of rows, and that C and Di were both at times selfish employers.

Yes, in
Nevertheless, Charles was only 32 when he married. An old 32, yes, but nevertheless a person's friendships, attitudes, mode of life etc shouldn't be fixed in stone at that age in the way that I believe Charles's were, due to his Royal upbringing. He's never seemed to me to be a man happy and comfortable with many aspects of modern life.

Bottom line is though --Charles and Diana were chalk and cheese. Should never never have wed.
but that's the way he is. He was always old for his age, he liked older people, he was into hte past more than modern life.. Its like wishing he were another person. And DIana was volatile and very young for her age, and I dont beleive that she was mature enough to get married to anyone, much less a public man whose every move was scrutiinised..

The admiration of Diana was extremely shallow, I can understand why a man who is actually doing something of substance would get annoyed with everyone talking about what his wife wore. It wasn't Diana's fault but looking back I can see how utterly immature and ridiculous the media was with her. The crowds were one thing I don't fault them for being dazzled they only had 5 secs to spend with a royal; but the papers who are supposed to be covering these events are another thing. I think that's probably the reason Kate has a tendency to recycle.

You've hit on it, I think. :ermm: There was far more going on against Charles, like the overt ridicule. It's really very odd to read decades later. I'm not convinced Charles would have cared about Diana being cheered had it not come with a contrary attitude about him, often egged on by Diana herself. It was the animus directed at him that was unnerving on some level. Wouldn't you think?

the media was reportng what sold. People liked Diana, I don't believe it was shallow.. unless you think that all charm is shallow. She had a warm heart which came across in her meetings with the public. She was able to talk to people without being condescending or stiff like most royals.

Were royals really 'condescending or stiff' at the time? Is this historically accurate?

Yes I can understand that Charles was jealous and that he felt that his serious work was being undermined by "what Diana was wearing" but if he and she had been able to work together better, they could have complemented each other. He could do the serious talks and she could do the talking and charming people.

I'm not convinced Charles was 'jealous'. It's an accusation that gets tossed about, but I don't see it. :ermm: Rather it's an accusation that is part of the animus towards him, the attempt to demean him. I've never understood it.

And as she grew older, she developed serious interests herself.

What were those?

absolute nonsense if Berry really said she wrote the book to counter allegations that charles was not a good parent or whathever. She wrote it for money, pure and simple

That's a pretty intense belief. :sad: But that's what it is: a belief. It goes contrary to what she herself has said, and demonstrated in her book. I believe she is a primary first-person source working against the press 'spin' at the time that Charles was an 'absent parent'.

However I am sure Charles was not always easy to work for and neither at times was Diana. WIth Diana I think it was her unhappiness and fragility that made her a bad employer at times. She wanted her staff to be freinds but then began to worry that they were taking advantage of being friends with her. She wanted to have them loving her and saw any slight difference or lack of loyalty as a sign of them NOT really being true to her and she would cut them out. So she cut off Burrell's wife, for some reason and expected him to put up with the fact that his wife who had worked for Diana was persona non grata.

Read the book. You will get some perspective on the consistency of Diana's behavior with her staff. You make a lot of assumptions. Check it out.

I don't intend to read the book, because i feel Berry was completely in the wrong in writing it.

Had she not done so we would not have the first person witness setting right much of what was a-swirl in the press at the time against Charles about his role as a parent. Berry is the first source (I believe) to indicate how present Charles was in the nursery with the children. (Diana did once allude to Charles in the nursery early in the marriage). We learn he was very much a hands-on parent, as much as Diana. We also learn how Diana blocked Charles from being with the children: she had meals 'on trays' with her sons that then pre-empted the family meal with their father (and mother) present.

If you are interested in the reality of Diana and Charles, I would say Mrs Berry is an important eye-witness source.

we dont really need her stories to tell us that the marriage was unhappy and full of rows, and that C and Di were both at times selfish employers.

Not having read the book you have a skewed view of the book's focus. It's a very far-ranging book. It doesn't focus on the bad imo, though it comes into play because it's part of the whole picture. It's from her book that I learned how close Charles and his sister Anne really are, that there were visits, even from the Queen, the kind of informal, impromtu visiting one would expect between family members. Even young cousins coming over, like Zara, to play. Charming.

P.S. Mrs Berry does indicate, either in the book or an extraneous article, that she knows far, far more than she revealed in the book. She made a choice not to reveal more, though I wonder if she was ever an 'un-named source' for other authors/researchers.

but that's the way he is.He was always old for his age, he liked older people, he was into the past more than modern life. Its like wishing he were another person.

I can't agree with you less here. Charles was/is very much a member of his generation. He may not have taken on the trappings of 'Mod London' at the time, for obvious reasons (the oppressive system in which he was bound to serve), but he has been cutting edge in all other ways. He had his 'goofy' side: he was a very 'silly' young man when at university (imo). But he was also a very sensitive soul (unlike the go-getter Anne), compelled to be other than his nature by a demanding father, but that does not then make him old beyond his years, just sensitive. JMO. :flowers:

And Diana was volatile and very young for her age, and I don't beleive that she was mature enough to get married to anyone, much less a public man whose every move was scrutinized.

Here we can agree. :cool:

Last edited:
I have no intention of reading hte book. I dont agree with her or other servants writing books about Diana.. and All I can say is, that if she DID write it to defend Charles from being attacked, he must be a very ungrateful person because he clearly was annoyed about the book and it was banned

It seems that everyone in the royal arena who writes a book does so "to set the record straight". That was supposed to be Ken Wharfe's and Paul Burrell's justification as well.

And It is no justification. They all know when they work for the RF that they are not supposed to talk about the people they wrork for. and they certainly are not supposed to write books oar articles about them. Whether they sign a legal agreement or not, there is an honour bound thing that they are not supposed to reveal the secrets of their bosses' lives.
James Hewitt said that he was writing HIS books to tell about his lvoe affair with Diana, and that she wanted him to do it.. Nonsense. He did ti for money and attention. Same with these other people like Wharfe or Berry..

The media didn't talk about her charm they spoke about her outfits and her hair. I did state that the public would be wowed by her and her charm but thay is what they are there for; they are just one of thousands who have to get as Much from a brief meeting as possible. The shallowness came from having access to ask Prince Charles important questions and instead asking him how his wife liked dancing with John Travolta.
Lady Nimue you made many good points in your post, I am interested in hearing what Berry has to say and I am grateful to anyone who works against the negative spin...but I also feel reading her book would be like supporting Paul Burrell.

Charles is not the leading light in world affairs. And if he came alone, few cared. Yes, when he was single, they thought he was eligible, like he'd marry a shop girl. He couldn't marry Camilla, she was beneath their expectations. And, yes, they were stiff. Like bricks. Rarely smiles, no one touched anyone. They were too sacred. That stopped. Diana opened the door. It couldn't be closed.

I haven't really thought this out, but...

Charles had seen one marriage up close (his parents'). He saw (I assume) that the outsider (DoE) had majestically served HM and had been self-effacing in many ways that enabled the marriage to work as well as it has. Perhaps he believed that Diana would be like Philip, a devoted and unselfish helpmeet, always ceding the spotlight to his spouse. The age difference made that well-nigh impossible. It was sad for all concerned.

:previous: I don't understand all the closed eyes; I think if Diana and Charles had not had a baby so soon, they might have formed a better relationship and might have stuck together. Pure speculation, of course, but if they had grown together, instead of apart, they might still be together.

The media didn't talk about her charm they spoke about her outfits and her hair. I did state that the public would be wowed by her and her charm but thay is what they are there for; they are just one of thousands who have to get as Much from a brief meeting as possible. The shallowness came from having access to ask Prince Charles important questions and instead asking him how his wife liked dancing with John Travolta.
supporting Paul Burrell.
sorry but what important questions are tabloid reporters going to ask Charles? He is officially not supposed to take part in politics. If he gave a speech on architechture the serious papers might report it but the tabloids would nto give it much attention. And sorry but you are wrong, the papers DID speak of Diana's charm, her natural manner, her sweetness, her way with kids and old people.. of course they mentioned her clothes, they did so even when later on, she was doing more serious engagements, travelling to Africa to do a hard and rough tour on landmines. Diana got more attention for her charity work than Charles did because she was charming, she was pretty and dressed nicely and worked hard at doing the speaking nicely to people... He was seen as fusty, out of touch and often speaking about things he didn't know much about...
If he had been more secure and DIana had been older and more mature when she married him, I think that he and she could have worked togeheter, with him doing the speeches and her doing the hand shaking and charm, bt he was insecure, to an extent it was understandable, but IMO it was because they got on each other's nerves in private that he found it hard to relax and make use of Diana's good points, of being able to win and please people, in his own work.

:previous: I don't understand all the closed eyes; I think if Diana and Charles had not had a baby so soon, they might have formed a better relationship and might have stuck together. Pure speculation, of course, but if they had grown together, instead of apart, they might still be together.

Agree I don't understand the closed eyes either?
I don't know if there was much that could have been done to save the marriage. Sad but I think that there just seemed to be a constant jarring of the 2 of them against each other...
I think that MAYBE if Di had not had the kids so early, she and C might have had time to get to know each other better, to work out a way of being married..
But I think the problem was that they really weren't compatible, they would have had to be different people, to manage to find a way of working together. I think they would have needed marriage guidance and therapy and say spending 2 or 3 years on "lighter royal duties" till Diana was acclimatised to the RF and to married life and till Charles had adjusted as well.
But I think the facts that they were so popular as a couple, or that Diana was so adored, meant that the RF were keen to "put them out there" to meet the public, and would not have been keen on them not doing too much work...
And the fact that they had realised that they weren't very much in tune with each other perhaps pushed them towards starting a family soon.. to give them something in common...but it was putting a huge strain on the marriage and particularly on Diana when her heatlh was undermined by her bulimia.. to have two children so soon.
and I think that when Di was having children, she was worrying about "Is Charles going to find me sexy when I'm fat and pregnant", and worrying "is he maybe seeng Camilla because I'm looking awful or I'm not well enough to go out..." and problaby the more she got annoyed and upset about the Cam issue, the more annoyed Charlres got and perhaps in the end he DID feel he might as well go back to Cam since he was getting shouted at anyway

There was no "animus" against Charles. It was simply that he was not as attractive to the press or public as Diana was.. and at first she didn't use her charm and looks against him... though she did later. he got sulky about it.. understandable perhaps but it made him look bad. And gradually it began to look to the press and public that She was the warm loving mother, he was the dull guy who was always banging on about issues that he either didn't know much about, or wasn't supposed to talk about, such as politics. she did her charity work with warmth and people believed, I think correctly that she did care about people and wanted to touch and help them.
He came across as caring about buildings, while she cared about kids and people.
Stories were leaking out about their marriage not being very happy, and I thin that that DID make Charles more annoyed and in public he focussed more and more on "issues" and trying to make a difference, admirable in many ways but many of the issues he chose were "cold ones".. like architechture or conservation.. and since the public liked Di better, they were going to blame the marital problems, if any, on Charles, as the older of the 2.
and I think that while he loved the boys, he didn't come across as someone who was all that comfortable with little kids.. I think that he did his best and when they were very small, he was in the nursery a lot but as they became nosiy toddlers, and he and DI got on worse, he gradually left them more to Diana.. and as young kids I think they preferred her company... it was later that they began to find the meida circus that followed her stressful..
So no, there was no animus against Charles, if he was getting some bad press there was good reason for it... it had nothing to do, in the early years, with Diana "havig a go at him."

I've known people that took much longer to decide on what house to buy and where to move to than Charles and Diana took before they married. If I'm not mistaken, they had relatively short amounts of "dates" to get to know each other before announcing an engagement.

Sometimes people know within minutes that they've found the perfect partner and the marriage lasts "until death do us part". Sometimes people date for years before marriage and it falls apart afterwards. There really is no guarantee going into a marriage that it will be a forevermore kind of marriage. Marriage takes day to day maintenance and work and compromise. Unfortunately for Charles and Diana, the marriage had more pitfalls and troubles than most and it didn't work.

Diana's popularity with the press wouldn't have lasted forever. The press aren't kind to older women and they would have turned in Diana sooner or later - press barons are as keen on knighthoods and titles as everyone else and alienating the future king is no way to go about getting one...

Diana's popularity with the press wouldn't have lasted forever. The press aren't kind to older women and they would have turned in Diana sooner or later - press barons are as keen on knighthoods and titles as everyone else and alienating the future king is no way to go about getting one...

I'm not sure what you mean. Yes D's popularity was beginning to fade at the later 90s, not because she was getting older but because the story had run and run, she had had a long run of being very popular, and now it was running out. Nobody is popular ALL the time. And the public who read the stories were getting sick of the war of the Waleses. It had been a great story but it had gone on for a long time and People were tired of it.. and they were also beginning to feel that it was high time that both C and Diana sorted out their problems, got on with their lives and stayed out of the headlines so much. but at that time, while Di's popularity was going down C's was about as low as it was possible to be. IMO it wasn't 100% clear that he was going to become King. OK the queen did not want him out of the succession but he himself was stil insisting on keeping up his relationship with Camilla which was the big sticking point. It was likely that he'd be king in the end, but it was still IMO problematic. So IM not sure what you mean by supporting her being likely to alienate the future King. THe press didn't care about her anyway, what they wanted was a story, and that was all that they cared about with Diana. For a long time, she was more popular with the public and hence the Press supported her and Chas was largely disliked, but it wasn't IMO til after her death and very gradually that Charles began to come back up the ratings from his very very low point.

Charles was strongly disliked to put it mildly but in reality there wasn't any real question of tinkering with the succession as doing so was a legal nightmare it wouldn't have just been the uk parliament but some 16 others as well - remember the Aussie referendum was two years after Diana was killed and although this was about Australian politics first and foremost it was also a verdict on the Windsors as well as a RF - a vote of no confidence in Oz would it have done queen or Charles any good. The legal can of worms was huge. Also this was when "New labour" was in full flight - Blair had already made clear that he wanted to undertake some major constitutional reform and it was always possible the monarchy may well have ended up on the chopping block if the Govt was determined enough to make that the case. Blair himself was pro monarchy as was Gordon Brown but there has always been a strong republican strain in Labour and tinkering with the line of succession could well have given them an opening. This wasn't 1936 where the media was self censoring and Baldwin got away with deposing E8 in a very swift efficient and fortunate coup. As much as I like to rag on Bliar he did save the RFs bacon back in 1997 and they behaved very poorly towards him esp Charles who had a grudge over his support for Diana - Charles is a very strong grudge holder and although Murdoch was fine with Royal disapproval, the others not so much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom