Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crossing the line

Alicky said:
I'm sure they did lol. Somewhere along the way someone must have mentioned that it was not royal practice to air their dirty laundry for interviews and in the tabloids. So much for that!
I can understand that during a bitter relationship breakdown many things are said in anger, but I don't think that commenting on "the wedding night" scores one any points.

Alicky said:
Who, me or Di?
Sorry Alicky; my phrasing was ambiguous. I meant that I don't think Diana scored any points by discussing this with third parties. For all the wonderful things she did and achieved, there are times when certain matters are best left private. If not for herself or her ex-husband, then at least for her children.

Reina said:
Maybe Diana saw stability in an older, more mature man. I don't think being Queen of Great Britain and N. Ireland was her main goal. I think that she was pushed and prodded coupled with her crush on Charles.

You have to remember her father was roughly that much older than her mother.

Of course, that didn't work out either, and age was probably a major factor in that marital breakdown.

Alicky said:
I'm sure they did lol. Somewhere along the way someone must have mentioned that it was not royal practice to air their dirty laundry for interviews and in the tabloids. So much for that!

I think Diana did what a lot of us do, reveal "all" to our girlfriends.

Not a good idea if your girlfriends go on to write books.

In response to branchg's reference to Wikipedia, that only repeats gossip. If the "gentleman" involved won't confirm it and no one else has proof, it's purely speculative.

I don't know some of the pictures they look very much inlove both of them not just Princess Diana,

Warren said:
Sorry Alicky; my phrasing was ambiguous. I meant that I don't think Diana scored any points by discussing this with third parties. For all the wonderful things she did and achieved, there are times when certain matters are best left private. If not for herself or her ex-husband, then at least for her children.
Lol, I wasn't too sure. :) Anyways, I don't care about the age difference, it can work. But they just had nothing in common, they were such totally different people. If it was a one year age difference, I'm not even sure that it would have worked out between them.

And as far as Di's dirty laundry, she's done that much more than that one tidbit, and much more directly. ;)

iowabelle said:

Diana has a long history of telling stories to people she knew would let them out, for the sake of getting the stories out and into the press. :rolleyes:

iowabelle said:

I agree with Alicky that Diana was being what many of us "women" are by telling stories to our girlfriends. Let's face it--Men tell every minute detail of relationships they have with women the majority of the time. Hate to tell the men here, but women talk about you too!! We talk about the "good, bad and the ugly just as much!! The only problem in Diana's case is that she was famous and people want to make money off of her. I don't have to worry about my friends selling my life story to a publisher or the tabloids. Diana never truly realized, I believe, that some of the people who have betrayed her would ever do so.

Diana was so naive that she never could have dreamed that someone would try to make money off of her? She never came to that realization? I don't think anyone is that dumb lol. Besides, she knew very well how the press works, how people work, she knew how to play off them very well.

tiaraprin said:
I agree with Alicky that Diana was being what many of us "women" are by telling stories to our girlfriends.
Iowabelle said it. :)

tiaraprin said:
Let's face it--Men tell every minute detail of relationships they have with women the majority of the time.
Men gossip more than women I swear! :p

Alicky said:
Diana was so naive that she never could have dreamed that someone would try to make money off of her? She never came to that realization? I don't think anyone is that dumb lol. Besides, she knew very well how the press works, how people work, she knew how to play off them very well.

I agree with Alicky. There was a story I saw on a Frontline documentary. It had lots of interviews with editors and reports from The Sun, Daily News, etc, the tabloid variety, talking about how Diana had lunch with all of them. I think it was Arthur Edwards who told a story from around the time Morton's book came out in 1992. Amidst the media speculation if the book was true or fabrication, he got a call from a well spoken woman informing him of the exact time Diana would be visiting Carolyn Bartholomew, one of the name source in the book. He went to Bartholomews' flat, and sure enought, at the exact time named in the phone call, Diana showed up. There was another reporter who said Diana personally briefed him about phoning for help after seeing a man being rescued from the lake in Hyde Park. Somehow when the story was reported later, it became Diana saving the drowning man. She later made a big show of visiting him in the hospital and giving the real rescuer a plaque.

Alicky said:

I was referring to Diana's inner circle of friends, not her chats with editors of newspapers. I believe Diana never saw Rosa Monckton, Lucia Flecha de Lima, and a few others making money off of her. Neither woman has betrayed Diana's loyalty. When they speak of her, they do not dish secrets.

Very true Incas. She often befriended tabloid hacks and told them stories like that, I think it was Patrick Jephson who said that he would often find Diana sitting and talking with them, telling them "heartfelt" stories about herself and her charitable nature. Then he'd see the stories on the pages the next day, as intended.

tiaraprin said:
I was referring to Diana's inner circle of friends, not her chats with editors of newspapers. I believe Diana never saw Rosa Monckton, Lucia Flecha de Lima, and a few others making money off of her. Neither woman has betrayed Diana's loyalty. When they speak of her, they do not dish secrets.
But I don't think Lucia and Rosa ever did though right?

Alicky said:
But I don't think Lucia and Rosa ever did though right?

As I said in my post, Rosa and Lucia have not said one word out of line about Diana. Anytime they refer to her, they talk in generalizations or things that are innocuous to public consumption. They know what they can and cannot say. The only time they gave a little bit of detail was when they told the world that Diana was NOT pregnant at the time of the fatal car crash and that she was not going to marry Dodi Al-Fayed.

Rosa Monckton said Diana was having "her monthly cycles" twice a month and in no way could have been pregnant at the time of the crash. She said Diana was going for a check-up right before she died to see the cause of the problem.

But Rosa and Lucia didn't leak the "wedding night story." You're right, Diana didn't have to worry about her close friends.

Alicky said:
But Rosa and Lucia didn't leak the "wedding night story." You're right, Diana didn't have to worry about her close friends.

Believe me, when it comes to Diana, I have crammed my head so full of facts. I know the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.

I just started a thread for the 8th anniversary of her death on August 31, 2005. I asked that people come there to share their feelings and memories in a positive way and not bring the negative there. I want to celebrate her life and the good she did for Great Britain and the world at large.

Has Diana ever really loved Charles, I have always thought she did , otherwise she'd have had taken no notice of his reationship to Cam <edit>- but, are we so sure she was in love with him when she married him, what about in the years til 1992? she looks to me very happy in the pix taken during the honeymoon, while it's clear he was not, just look at the kiss, he clses his eyes and tries to shrug away, she's passionate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tell Tale Moment South Korea 1992. . ..

The picture that spoke millions of words about the marriage; South Korea:

Picture: Mike Forster

unhappyMFR_237x350.jpg

tiaraprin said:

I think its unfair to judge a marriage upon one photo. In this case apparently it was true, but say for example the photos of the king and queen of sweden in khao lak in april, mourning the victims of the tsunami.
They both had tears in their eyes and looked alot like Charles and Diana does on the photo. If they would get a divorce later on, perhaps those photos would be use to illustrate the unhappiness.

My point is that that photo of Charles and Diana was probably made at some sort of memorial service (?) in Korea and therefor there was no "happy faces". It wouldn´t have been appropiate for them to smile and laught.
A brillant example of how media can use pictures to "prove things"

btw, thanks for posting the photo, its really one of the most memorable moments in the Charles and Diana saga

Unfortunately in this case, we saw the writing on the wall with years of rumors and the serialization of Andrew Morton's book. It really wasn't a far leap in 1992 to have said this.

tiaraprin said:

If my husband had a mistress and he is refusing to give her up I too will be like that, tired of sharing my husband.

tiaraprin said:
Unfortunately in this case, we saw the writing on the wall with years of rumors and the serialization of Andrew Morton's book. It really wasn't a far leap in 1992 to have said this.

You are basing your views on a book that was written by a man who used his position to write a book of lies basically. Diana was not in her right mind the time that this book was written, half of what she and her so-called friends said was simply untrue.

As for Korea, none of us were there so we don't know what happened, and do we even care anymore? That was 15 years ago. Diana's dead, Charles is with the woman he truly loves... Isn't it time we put Charles and Diana behind us and focous on the future, which is Charles and Camilla?

zeap said:
Isn't it time we put Charles and Diana behind us and focous on the future, which is Charles and Camilla?

There are those of us who feel that Charles and Camilla should never have been. Their love affair hurt many amongst their respective families and spouses. Now, after all these years to get away with what they have done is unacceptable in my eyes, and for myself, the future is William not Charles. Charles and Camilla are an annoyance to the royal line IMHO.

ysbel said:
I'm a year younger than Diana and I remember being shocked at everybody saying how perfect this marriage choice was...
What Diana saw was a safe haven. She knew (at the time) that by marrying the future King of England, she would be guaranteed that there would be no divorce. That was her safety zone. She thought (maybe not conciously) that this marriage would last, had to last because at that level - future King of England - he couldn't be a divorced man. At the time :)

Maybe she fell in love with him later as she got to know him but I would say at the outset that she was in love with the idea of being married to someone who couldn't entertain divorce as an option. Maybe (and every new bride feels this) she though that he would come around to her way to thinking and they would live happily ever after. Of course, it didn't happen that way.

One good piece of advice that was given to me by a very wise friend of mine - don't train your husbands to be something you want them to be... if their mother's couldn't do it, you don't stand a chance. ;)

Australis said:
If my husband had a mistress and he is refusing to give her up I too will be like that, tired of sharing my husband.

If my husband had a mistress and refused to give her up, he wouldn't be my husband for too long after that.

Actually, if my husband had a mistress, he'd be shown the front door and be served with papers not too long after. Period. End of story :)

A dynastic view

tiaraprin said:
There are those of us who feel that Charles and Camilla should never have been...for myself, the future is William not Charles. Charles and Camilla are an annoyance to the royal line IMHO.
Whereas to a Royalist and die-hard Monarchist like myself the important thing is not the "he said/she said, he did/she did" circular debate, but the unbroken and orderly Line of Succession to the Throne. William is certainly one part of the future, but unless anything untoward happens, his time will come after his father has reigned as King in accordance with his birthright. Or does this just make me sound 'old-fashioned'?

Warren said:
Whereas to a Royalist and die-hard Monarchist like myself the important thing is not the "he said/she said, he did/she did" circular debate, but the unbroken and orderly Line of Succession to the Throne. William is certainly one part of the future, but unless anything untoward happens, his time will come after his father has reigned as King in accordance with his birthright. Or does this just make me sound 'old-fashioned'?

I understand your opinion Warren and I do respect it. Sometimes, I just wish things weren't the way they are.

Back
Top Bottom