The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2020, 11:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Photographers do manage to get some shots of the Royals at Balmoral at times. but Diana went for country walks because she was there for long periods and she didn't enjoy it.. she didn't want to shoot, fish or ride.. but was expected to take part in some activity while she was there… so wlalking with or without Charles was probably the best option. we know she did things like go to Balmoral, or watch Charles playing polo.. but she didn't really want to do it. It was part of the royal routine at the time.. and she had to join in...
There are public roads on the estate. one is near that river Charles likes to fish in.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Various sources have stated that Charles refused to change his garden designs at Highgrove in order to accommodate a tennis court for his wife. According to Tina Brown that was in 1983, therefore before Harry's birth and very early in the marriage.
He did built a pool for her though ...

Old 04-25-2020, 06:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well, it wasn't just Diana who found Balmoral and all the talk of dead birds, fish and stags soul-deadening. The official biography of Queen Mary states that she didn't much like Balmoral either. (And I cannot imagine Queen Mary riding ponies through the hills or picking up dead grouse at shoots.)

So the idea that all members of the RF absolutely adored going north of the border to join in the outdoor activities appears to be a fallacy and Diana was not alone in her attitude to it.
But Diana was married to a man who did enjoy it.. and she knew or should have known that she'd have to put up with it for regular visits. QM may not have liked it, but she put up with it, no doubt politely. Diana got increasingly miserable. And She did spend time during their courtship watching Charles at his sports and conveying an impression that she liked country life and was happy to visit balmoral and watch or join in.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:59 AM
Courtier

Where ever we are and whatever we do we are all really responsible for our own happiness. If we are bored then we must rectify it.

Many couples don't share passions for the same pursuits - yet are secure in their relationship. How do we know how Diana felt about everything in the country?
It takes maturity to adapt and perhaps Diana married too young, before she knew how to feel content.
History has shown that she and Charles were not suited enough to stay married. Plenty of couples have divorced.

Only those in a marriage know what happens. I think they both married with the best of intentions After divorce, Diana seemed to be happily embracing life before it ended tragically. That is the sadness - an accidental death way too soon.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Well, that would have been the point, being photographed.
I doubt Diana knew they were there. She was caught in a distance shot by the paps bundled up in a coat wearing a hood. It's not as if she were dressing up and knew they were there.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I doubt Diana knew they were there. She was caught in a distance shot by the paps bundled up in a coat wearing a hood. It's not as if she were dressing up and knew they were there.
She knew that there were reporters watching her and Charles when he went fishing during their courtship. She must have known that there were parts of Balmoral where the reporters could use to get snaps or watch them.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Likely the members of the family and the staff as informed her as to where the press would typically gather to photograph them.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Likely the members of the family and the staff as informed her as to where the press would typically gather to photograph them.
True, she was watching the reporters through a hand mirror, when she was with Charles, fishing. And she scooted out of the way becuase they didn't want the press to get a picture of them together.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
She knew that there were reporters watching her and Charles when he went fishing during their courtship. She must have known that there were parts of Balmoral where the reporters could use to get snaps or watch them.
Some of the photos were staged. Like the one where she was getting fishing lessons. That made it into the public domain. Both were caught by surprise early on when the press found them together. Diana hurried off but they did find out ultimately she was dating Charles.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Some of the photos were staged. Like the one where she was getting fishing lessons. That made it into the public domain. Both were caught by surprise early on when the press found them together. Diana hurried off but they did find out ultimately she was dating Charles.
What photos of her "getting fishing lessons?"
Old 04-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Aristocracy

I'll see if I can find it she's getting instruction. She wore this outfit with a turtleneck sweater and here it is:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...IVFBtlxwTR9wiM
Old 04-27-2020, 01:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'll see if I can find it she's getting instruction. She wore this outfit with a turtleneck sweater and here it is:

I cant see the pic very well but it is not as far as I can see one of Diana with Charles
Old 04-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
True, she was watching the reporters through a hand mirror, when she was with Charles, fishing. And she scooted out of the way becuase they didn't want the press to get a picture of them together.
Correct as well known this episode occurred prior to the announcement of her engagement to the PoW. The photo from the fishing lesson with the ghillie was taken after the engagement was annouced.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/412430...a-photographs/

Quote:
Then I saw Prince Charles fishing with an unusual-looking ghillie.
It was Diana dressed as a man. I stopped the car and tore across the field, while Diana ran away, hid behind a tree and used a mirror to look over her shoulder to see where I was.
She suddenly made a dash for it through the trees and I got all these pictures.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Correct as well known this episode occurred prior to the announcement of her engagement to the PoW. The photo from the fishing lesson with the ghillie was taken after the engagement was annouced.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/412430...a-photographs/
Yes I think that Charles was determined that the press would not get a photo of him and Diana together until they were officially engaged.. so she was on the lookout for reporters when they went fishing. But it seems that the photo of her with the ghillie teaching her to fish is "staged" so Diana was well aware that there were parts of the estate where she could be caught on camera and seen doing this or that....
Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 PM
Majesty

However, there is another photo around in black and white, with Diana and Charles on dry land. Diana holds fly fishing rods and Charles is behind her with his hands on the rods, presumably teaching her how to cast.

The photo, which of course I can't now find on PinInterest, was taken from the side, both principals are concentrating on the rods and Charles appears to be speaking to her.

That photo wasn't staged. In fact I believe that it would have been perfectly natural for Diana to have tried fly fishing when she was at Balmoral in the first year or two of the couple's relationship, if only to join Charles, who spent hours fishing sometimes.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.google.com/search?q=Char...9QEwAXoECAoQEw

Several pics of Charles and Diana in the great outdoors fishing etc.

LaRae
Old 04-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Commoner

Quote:

This was the caption with this photo: "Diana was not an enthusiast for country pursuits. Here, with Balmoral head ghillie Charles Wright, she glumly casts into the River Dee – knowing it would endear her to her fiancé Prince Charles three months before the wedding."
Old 04-28-2020, 08:36 PM
Majesty

Hindsight is a wonderful thing with 20/20 vision. I can remember the Press and TV coverage of the Charles and Diana romance and the engagement, and it would have done justice to a Disney film, complete with animated lovebirds singing on Diana's lap.

Nobody in the media piped up then with multiple stories of Diana apparently hating country life and pursuits. Everything in the garden was lovely. That only happened while the marriage was going pearshaped and afterwards. It was admittedly a much more deferential time in the 1970s/early 80's but plenty of people became much more cynical about the popular press and their narratives after the debacle of the War of the Wales.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Hin

Nobody in the media piped up then with multiple stories of Diana apparently hating country life and pursuits. Everything in the garden was lovely. That only happened while the marriage was going pearshaped and afterwards. It was admittedly a much more deferential time in the 1970s/early 80's but plenty of people became much more cynical about the popular press and their narratives after the debacle of the War of the Wales.
I don't think people realised that she wasn't into country sports, she had been seen accompanying Charles when he was fishing etc. But there were a few commentators and people in general who did note some of the differences.. that she was only 20 and seemed shy and inexperienced whereas he was 32, had travelled..been in the navy etc. And that he was interested in lots of things whereas she had not had much education and didn't seem to be a thinker.
but I think after the marriage, there was so much obvious friction between the 2 of them that although the papers I think did half believe/want to believe it was a love match, there was a niggling undercurrent of reports of tension. Her loss of weight gave rise to speculation that she was ill, or unhappy...
Re that picture of her learnng to fish, I don't know if it was "staged" in the sense that the RF wanted her to be seen learning to fish.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:51 PM
Aristocracy

I read at the time they were going out that she was afraid to ride. So that is one of the main country pursuits riding and foxhunting (which was of course legal at the time). DIana and Charles were really trying to get to know each other and each of Charles' serious love interests did get invited to Balmoral. Sabina Guiness was disqualified as being acceptable for Charles when she sat in Queen Victoria's chair at Balmoral nothing to do with hunting. I think it had nothing to do with what they did during that time, Charles and DIana wanted to spend time together out and away from his family. Diana wrote he would ask her to go for a walk or picnic each day she was there.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana