The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2020, 09:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Diana was a member of the landed gentry/nobility. Her father was an earl. I don't think she would have been all that happy, married to an English country squire as most of her post Charles romances were with men of different classes and cultures. Her mother had made a marriage to an English country gentleman and found herself bored and restless... and left him. with regard to the Press, I agree that she did tend to play with the press and then complain that they pestered her and made her life hell.. but over many years, she was pretty good at hanlding them. I think her touch began to desert her in the last couple of years...
Diana lived through a different era, one in which social media & the global Internet did not exist. Her family was not there for her; former friends could not help her; new friends did the best they could to provide comfort and counsel; secret romantic partners betrayed her even as her husband continued to betray her. She and Charles never understood each other, and he was never truly in love with her. Her family ultimately did not help her in times of personal need and confusion.

Her rebellious chutzpah was all she could muster to stay afloat. But staying afloat is not a resolution. To avoid drowning in the gilded cage/ goldfish bowl, she reached out to the only lifeline available: the media. And dealing with the media presented dangerous challenges and risky shoals as well. She had to figure it all out on the fly, even as she was learning who she was as a woman and a grown-up. She'd been thrown in the deep end without a life vest at the ages of 19-20. Even though she was a good diver and a decent swimmer, she barely stood a chance.

I look back at Diana walking down the aisle at St. Paul's Cathedral in that voluminous overly frippery dress that was wearing her, and I realize she was like a lamb heading to slaughter. Of course, it didn't seem like it at the time. Little did any of us know.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
Diana did go in for country life at Balmoral until the separation. She enjoyed the time with her sons there. Diana liked long walks in the country but not the hunting. There are photographs of Diana going on these country walks and it is documented.
Well, that would have been the point, being photographed.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:42 AM
Majesty

Except on very rare occasions, when the royal family is holidaying at Balmoral Press photographers are not allowed on the estate. It's very wild and inhospitable countryside. Therefore it's debatable that Diana would have known they were there.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:44 AM
Majesty

Photographers do manage to get some shots of the Royals at Balmoral at times. but Diana went for country walks because she was there for long periods and she didn't enjoy it.. she didn't want to shoot, fish or ride.. but was expected to take part in some activity while she was there… so wlalking with or without Charles was probably the best option. we know she did things like go to Balmoral, or watch Charles playing polo.. but she didn't really want to do it. It was part of the royal routine at the time.. and she had to join in...
Old 04-23-2020, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Diana went for country walks because she was there for long periods and she didn't enjoy it.. she didn't want to shoot, fish or ride.. but was expected to take part in some activity while she was there… so wlalking with or without Charles was probably the best option. we know she did things like go to Balmoral, or watch Charles playing polo.. but she didn't really want to do it. It was part of the royal routine at the time.. and she had to join in...
Other than the occasional ski holiday at resort locations, they didn't really have an outdoor activity that both were passionate about. Diana seemed more enlivened by distant 'remote' places and cultures than Charles. Her deciding in '91 to visit Peshawar, Pakistan, near high mountain vistas must have pleased her, the beauty of them, and her willingness to travel to the Rockies, undetected by the press.

Chitral, Pakistan, is next door to the most challenging mountain sites. But when she was there, the marriage was already on the rocks. Climbing was too dangerous a sport for either party, but she probably treasured the stark quiet and solitude found in such places..
Old 04-24-2020, 05:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
Other than the occasional ski holiday at resort locations, they didn't really have an outdoor activity that both were passionate about. Diana seemed more enlivened by distant 'remote' places and cultures than Charles. Her deciding in '91 to visit Peshawar, Pakistan, near high mountain vistas must have pleased her, the beauty of them, and her willingness to travel to the Rockies, undetected by the press.

Chitral, Pakistan, is next door to the most challenging mountain sites. But when she was there, the marriage was already on the rocks. Climbing was too dangerous a sport for either party, but she probably treasured the stark quiet and solitude found in such places..
I don't think that Diana was ever one for the great outdoors. If she went to America, as I recall it was because she felt it was a better place to have a private holiday with friends who were willing to lend her a big ranch where she could take the boys and let them enjoy their sports.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I don't think that Diana was ever one for the great outdoors. If she went to America, as I recall it was because she felt it was a better place to have a private holiday with friends who were willing to lend her a big ranch where she could take the boys and let them enjoy their sports.
Except in her own words she said she loved the country. She wasn't a fan of some of the country sports.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Except in her own words she said she loved the country. She wasn't a fan of some of the country sports.

LaRae
She was bound to say that when she was marrying Charles. He loved the country and it is a British "thing" to love it.. If she had said that she hated dreary cold British weather and country life, I think he would not have been too keen to marry her. She said to Rosa Monckton when On holiday with her that the boys were "out killing things" while she was away on a sunshine holiday... and that it was the way she was brought up, but she had little interest in It as an adult.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
She was bound to say that when she was marrying Charles. He loved the country and it is a British "thing" to love it.. If she had said that she hated dreary cold British weather and country life, I think he would not have been too keen to marry her. She said to Rosa Monckton when On holiday with her that the boys were "out killing things" while she was away on a sunshine holiday... and that it was the way she was brought up, but she had little interest in It as an adult.
She said this after she married him...the country wasn't the issue. 'Killing things' is a country pursuit ...not the same thing as the country itself.

LaRae
Old 04-24-2020, 09:04 AM
Aristocracy

During the courtship Charles was said to ask Diana to take walks with him. When they were caught by the paps, she was watching him fish.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She said this after she married him...the country wasn't the issue. 'Killing things' is a country pursuit ...not the same thing as the country itself.

LaRae
She was hardly going to admit that she didn't care for the country during their marriage. As she said to Rosa Monkton, it was the way she was brought up, in the country, with blood sports going on. But as an adult, she didn't enjoy any of country life.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

No Denville she likely would not have admitted that she wasn't really a fan of the country life while they were dating or after they married. Diana loved the sunshine and so the Caribbean and Mediterranean were places that she loved to relax in.

Charles loved the Highlands and the country pursuits associated with country life.

They both enjoyed skiing, but preferred different settings for their summer holidays.

They were just two people with very different interests.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to agree that Diana liked "country life" but was against the blood sports. Its been reported that Diana loved the times her and James Hewitt would get away and go and spend time with Hewitt's mother in Devon (If I'm remembering right) and taking long, peaceful walks.

Country life staying at places like Balmoral is a totally different kettle of fish than visiting someone in the country. Balmoral always had a strict schedule to keep, lots of clothing changes and the days were pretty structured.

I don't believe, however, that Diana would have been happy living totally in the country.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy

Charles did like swimming and water sports as did Diana. One of their first dates was his inviting her to a Regatta event where people went swimming.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I have to agree that Diana liked "country life" but was against the blood sports. Its been reported that Diana loved the times her and James Hewitt would get away and go and spend time with Hewitt's mother in Devon (If I'm remembering right) and taking long, peaceful walks.

Country life staying at places like Balmoral is a totally different kettle of fish than visiting someone in the country. Balmoral always had a strict schedule to keep, lots of clothing changes and the days were pretty structured.

I don't believe, however, that Diana would have been happy living totally in the country.
I think she only liked "country life" with J Hewitt because it was an occasional escape from her stressed married and public life. She might have enjoyed a weekend in the country once a month or so, with a congenial companion.. and JH was giving her affection, sex and attention.. I don't think she was against blood sports, she just didn't like them.. and she wasn't into gardening or riding or nature walks...
Old 04-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Majesty

Well, for that matter Charles wasn't particularly into playing or watching tennis, nor was he as keen as Diana was on jet skiing, swimming and other water sports in warm climates.

I don't see why Charles's preferences about holidays had to dominate their married life. So Diana didn't like fishing or blood sports (that is a dislike shared by many Britons) and even the royal family had to give up fox hunting. Did Charles ever try playing tennis with his wife, for instance? Apparently not.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, for that matter Charles wasn't particularly into playing or watching tennis, nor was he as keen as Diana was on jet skiing, swimming and other water sports in warm holiday spots.

I don't see why Charles's preferences about holidays had to dominate their married life. So Diana didn't like fishing or blood sports (that is a dislike shared by many Britons) and even the royal family had to give up fox hunting. Did Charles ever try playing tennis with his wife, for instance? Apparently not.
No I don't think he was, but she was marrying into a family that mostly did enjoy blood sports and country life.. their leisure time, their lifestyle was Edwardian, with the traditional emphasis on country house living.. house parties for shootng, hunting etc. And at the time of their marriage, the RF were pretty much expected to spend a good deal of their leisure time together whereas nowadays things area lot more flexible. Plus Charles DID enjoy the Balmoral routine, the hunting etc etc. If Diana did not like any of this, and I don't think she did, she was letting herself in for a lot of boring weekends and times when the clan were all gathered at Sandringham or Balmoral.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:44 PM
Aristocracy

Tennis also has been a part of royal life. CHarles maternal grandfather George VI did well playing tennis. His sister in law Marina, Duchess of Kent was a big tennis fan and presented trophies at Wimbledon for many years. George VI liked hunting but he also enjoyed playing in tennis matches. I'm surprised Charles did not at least give it a try.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:59 PM
Majesty

Various sources have stated that Charles refused to change his garden designs at Highgrove in order to accommodate a tennis court for his wife. According to Tina Brown that was in 1983, therefore before Harry's birth and very early in the marriage.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
No I don't think he was, but she was marrying into a family that mostly did enjoy blood sports and country life.. their leisure time, their lifestyle was Edwardian, with the traditional emphasis on country house living.. house parties for shootng, hunting etc. And at the time of their marriage, the RF were pretty much expected to spend a good deal of their leisure time together whereas nowadays things area lot more flexible. Plus Charles DID enjoy the Balmoral routine, the hunting etc etc. If Diana did not like any of this, and I don't think she did, she was letting herself in for a lot of boring weekends and times when the clan were all gathered at Sandringham or Balmoral.
Well, it wasn't just Diana who found Balmoral and all the talk of dead birds, fish and stags soul-deadening. The official biography of Queen Mary states that she didn't much like Balmoral either. (And I cannot imagine Queen Mary riding ponies through the hills or picking up dead grouse at shoots.)

The biography of Princess Margaret I read said that she wasn't a fan of hunting, shooting and fishing either. In fact she often spent most of her time at Balmoral up in her room listening to her radio, reading and putting photos into albums. According to the bio she apparently went there each year because it was a habit she had got into.

So the idea that all members of the RF absolutely adored going north of the border to join in the outdoor activities appears to be a fallacy and Diana was not alone in her attitude to it.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana