The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Diana stayed at Camill'as home during her courtship of Charles.. while he was visiting Highgrove she would stay with Camilla at her house nearby. but they were never freidns.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Right not 'friends' but certainly some sort of social aquaintences. Likely she would of known of Camilla prior, due to the social circles they all mixed in.

LaRae

Old 04-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Right not 'friends' but certainly some sort of social aquaintences. Likely she would of known of Camilla prior, due to the social circles they all mixed in.

LaRae
i can't see how. Camilla was abuot 12 years older than her, so they were not likely to know each other.. Diana did get invited to some royal parties when she got to the age of 17 or so..and she might have seen Camilla at tehm but they were different personalities, different age and different stages of life. Charles asked her I suppose to have Diana to stay so that he could spend time with Di at weekends, and she agreed, and they "hung out" a bit during the courtship, but they weren't friends. They had nothing in common...
Old 04-09-2020, 05:30 PM
Majesty

I agree that Diana and Camilla had very little in common and were never friends. I'm not sure that Diana wouldn't have known OF Camilla though. I'm just wondering if Sarah Spencer, Diana's sister, met Camilla while she and Charles were dating in 1977. It was known that Charles and Camilla were very close during the 1970s in spite of Camilla's marriage to Andrew Parker Bowles.

Surely, at the time Diana first dated Charles there would have been some discussion among the Spencers about the relationships within Charles's circle of friends, between the Prince and the Tryons, and the Prince and the Parker Bowles, for instance? Or did Sarah never meet any of them or chose not to impart what she knew, if she did?
Old 04-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I agree that Diana and Camilla had very little in common and were never friends. I'm not sure that Diana wouldn't have known OF Camilla though. I'm just wondering if Sarah Spencer, Diana's sister, met Camilla while she and Charles were dating in 1977. It was known that Charles and Camilla were very close during the 1970s in spite of Camilla's marriage to Andrew Parker Bowles.

Surely, at the time Diana first dated Charles there would have been some discussion among the Spencers about the relationships within Charles's circle of friends, between the Prince and the Tryons, and the Prince and the Parker Bowles, for instance? Or did Sarah never meet any of them or chose not to impart what she knew, if she did?
I don't think that Diana was so close to Sarah that she'd know her friends all that well...
.I dont know if Sarah would have met Camilla except occasionally. Her relationship with Charle was probalby more friendly than romantic.. But by the time he started to see Diana, I think he was seriously considering getting married, and he asked Cam for advice... plus in order to see Diana discreetly, he asked Camilla to put Diana up some weekends so that he and Diana could spend some time together.
Prior ot that Im sure that Diana had heard of Camilla, but did not know her at all.. But there were hints in newspapers and gossip mags that there was a close relationship between Charles and Camilla, and I can't see how Di didn't know somthig about it..
Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
i can't see how. Camilla was abuot 12 years older than her, so they were not likely to know each other.. Diana did get invited to some royal parties when she got to the age of 17 or so..and she might have seen Camilla at tehm but they were different personalities, different age and different stages of life. Charles asked her I suppose to have Diana to stay so that he could spend time with Di at weekends, and she agreed, and they "hung out" a bit during the courtship, but they weren't friends. They had nothing in common...

Perhaps you misread what I said. I said KNOW OF ...not known.

LaRae
Old 04-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Princess Diana and Camilla, in a 1980 image:
https://www.ecestaticos.com/image/cl...1980-getty.jpg

When was this picture taken?
March or April 1981. It was after the February engagement but still late winter/early spring.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

The look on Diana's face says it all.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
The look on Diana's face says it all.
It does, and though they were different in personality, it sometimes seems like a missed opportunity, in whatever inability there was to have a more cordial stance, or at least a neutral one with Camilla. That's assuming it would have been reciprocal but...

The occasional outing for lunch or what have you, would have been interesting to read of in the press. Unfortunately, we never had this richer dynamic and that left the prevailing outlook, all too often. Probably each detected a lack of mutual respect in the other, and therefore no foundation could be built.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:43 AM
Majesty

Wasn't that photo taken on the occasion Diana spoke about years later, the one where Camilla took her out to lunch and, according to Diana, started pumping her about whether she would be going hunting after her marriage, the same hunt Charles and Camilla had ridden with for years? Diana never mentioned any other luncheon or dinner dates with Camilla as far as I remember.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Wasn't that photo taken on the occasion Diana spoke about years later, the one where Camilla took her out to lunch and, according to Diana, started pumping her about whether she would be going hunting after her marriage, the same hunt Charles and Camilla had ridden with for years? Diana never mentioned any other luncheon or dinner dates with Camilla as far as I remember.
Diana stayed several weekends wht the Parker Bowles..
Old 04-15-2020, 06:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
"according to Diana"
All is said ...
Old 04-15-2020, 06:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
"according to Diana"
All is said ...
what does that mean?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
what does that mean?
That only one side of the story is rehearsed again and again, and that the late Princess of Wales was known to manipulate some facts to her advantage.
We basically don't know what happened and what was said, and i guess we never will ...
Old 04-15-2020, 08:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Diana stayed several weekends wht the Parker Bowles..
Yes, I know she did, but the Parker Bowles lived out in the countryside quite near Highgrove, whereas that photo (the people, background) looks as if it was taken at a fairly public occasion somewhere in or around a town or city. Camilla invited her to lunch at a London restaurant when they are believed to have had that conversation.

Later. Have tracked this photo down. It was taken in October 1980 at the Ludlow Racecourse where the two women went to see Charles riding in an amateur steeplechase. He finished second. Apparently there are only three photos on file of Camilla and Diana together and this was one of them.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...r-bowles.html/
Old 04-16-2020, 04:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes, I know she did, but the Parker Bowles lived out in the countryside quite near Highgrove, whereas that photo (the people, background) looks as if it was taken at a fairly public occasion somewhere in or around a town or city. Camilla invited her to lunch at a London restaurant when they are believed to have had that conversation.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...r-bowles.html/
I meant that she must have had other conversations with Camilla and gotten to know her a bit before she got engaged. If Camilla was her hostess, for some weekends, presumably they chatted a bit...
Old 04-16-2020, 08:18 PM
Majesty

No doubt they were cordial and polite with each other as far as it went. However, there was a large age gap and no shared hobbies or interests except for Charles. No meeting of hearts and minds.

Diana remembered later that Camilla seemed to know a lot about Charles's plans and would say things like 'He's always enjoyed going to so and so' or 'He doesn't like this...' showing that she knew Charles very very well indeed in every way, as we all later found out.

And Diana wasn't at the Parker Bowles' that often. With the engagement she moved to BP.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
No doubt they were cordial and polite with each other as far as it went. However, there was a large age gap and no shared hobbies or interests except for Charles. No meeting of hearts and minds.

Diana remembered later that Camilla seemed to know a lot about Charles's plans and would say things like 'He's always enjoyed going to so and so' or 'He doesn't like this...' showing that she knew Charles very very well indeed in every way, as we all later found out.

And Diana wasn't at the Parker Bowles' that often. With the engagement she moved to BP.
I said that during the courtship, she visited Highgrove some weekends, from what I understand and she stayed at the PBs home. obviously after the engagement, Diana moved into a royal home...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its not uncommon when someone (Charles) is thinking of marriage, he'd want for his bride-to-be to get to know his circle of friends. He was, at that time, very close to the entire Parker-Bowles family and not just Camilla. He is their oldest son's godfather. Its been stated in several sources that Diana never did mesh in with Charles' circle of friends and eventually, after the marriage, got him to cut ties with them.

With the age difference of most of Charles' friends from Diana's, its not surprising that there were no common points of interest. Being 19 at the time of courtship, she must have found the "older" set of friends boring and 'countrified" and a sit down dinner or a hunting weekend droll instead of a lively night out dancing in a London club.

There we so many clues before the wedding that these two people were not suited to each other at all and looked perfect on paper but the reality was totally different. Wish they had seen that.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its not uncommon when someone (Charles) is thinking of marriage, he'd want for his bride-to-be to get to know his circle of friends. He was, at that time, very close to the entire Parker-Bowles family and not just Camilla. He is their oldest son's godfather. Its been stated in several sources that Diana never did mesh in with Charles' circle of friends and eventually, after the marriage, got him to cut ties with them.

With the age difference of most of Charles' friends from Diana's, its not surprising that there were no common points of interest. Being 19 at the time of courtship, she must have found the "older" set of friends boring and 'countrified" and a sit down dinner or a hunting weekend droll instead of a lively night out dancing in a London club.

There we so many clues before the wedding that these two people were not suited to each other at all and looked perfect on paper but the reality was totally different. Wish they had seen that.
But who would have thought that such a decent Sloane Ranger, daughter from an Earl with a countryside ancestral estate, would be more 'into' clubbing than wading with wellies to Scottish moorlands? Her sisters Lady Jane and Lady Sarah seem exactly the traditional countryside type while Lady Diana somewhere developed from an aristocrat kindergarten missus with a little car into a star-socialite determined to rule the front pages. That was an evolution no one expected from a Princess of Wales. See Catherine, whom is not at all prone to be the Tabloids' Prom Queen. A total opposite of the late Diana.

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana