The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2020, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles and Princess Diana visited Portugal in February 1987 to commemorate the Valentine's Day wedding six hundred years before of an English princess, Philippa of Lancaster, the daughter of John of Gaunt, to King John I of Portugal.

Prince Charles proposed to Lady Diana in the gardens at Bolehyde Manor, the home of Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles. What do you think of Prince Charles proposing to Diana at his grandmother's Castle of Mey?

In 1987 Prince Charles went to Italy on a painting holiday. Did Princess Diana ever accompany Prince Charles on a painting holiday?

Old 02-23-2020, 05:53 PM
Majesty

I remember that tour as being one of the first times that Diana wore a short above-the-knees skirt on official duties.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

I thought the proposal took place at Windsor. Charles proposed to Diana during the winter, I suspect that the Castle of Mey would not have been very hospitable at that time of year. Plus it is very remote.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Prince Charles proposed to Lady Diana in the gardens at Bolehyde Manor, the home of Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles. What do you think of Prince Charles proposing to Diana at his grandmother's Castle of Mey?
Do you have a source for that statement?
Old 03-03-2020, 05:46 AM
Majesty

Diana didn't seem to remember any proposals in Scotland or at the Parker Bowles home. However she did recollect one at Windsor Castle on February 6th 1981, which was the location in every biography I've every read on Diana and Charles.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Do you have a source for that statement?
The source is After Diana by Christopher Anderson.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

i didn't know this book, so Googled it, and two of the first quotes that came up in the marketing of it are:
""This family did not have a drop of humanity in it before. I think Ive changed that." --Diana"
"All the compelling elements of a true dynastic saga are here: power, sex, wealth, intrigue, betrayal, tragedy, and scandal.*"

I guess I'm not the writer's target audience but I'm sure the audience will be large enough without me
Old 03-05-2020, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

I’ve always found Christopher Anderson’s books to be rife with stories that belong to the tabloids rather than being serious journalistic endeavors.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:39 AM
Majesty

does it actually say that Charles proposed to Diana somewhere other than Windsor? because that is where it is generally accepted that he proposed...
Old 03-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Gentry

I definitely remember our guide at Windsor Castle pointing out a bench that had flowers planted all around it and it was on this little knoll inside the gardens. You could not get to it though as it was behind a black iron fence. At any rate she said that was where Prince Charles proposed to Diana.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
I definitely remember our guide at Windsor Castle pointing out a bench that had flowers planted all around it and it was on this little knoll inside the gardens. You could not get to it though as it was behind a black iron fence. At any rate she said that was where Prince Charles proposed to Diana.
I thoguth that it was in the old nursery at Windsor, where they had dinner.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Majesty

That's certainly what Diana recalled for "Her True Story."
Old 03-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Majesty

Although I can't recall a particular source, it seems as though there were questions asked by Charles of the "If I were to ask you to marry me..." sort. They could have been asked in different locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Diana didn't seem to remember any proposals in Scotland or at the Parker Bowles home. However she did recollect one at Windsor Castle on February 6th 1981, which was the location in every biography I've every read on Diana and Charles.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Although I can't recall a particular source, it seems as though there were questions asked by Charles of the "If I were to ask you to marry me..." sort. They could have been asked in different locations.
I doubt if it was in Scotand. she did visit there but it was relatively early in tehir courtship. She saw Charles regularly at Highgrove and Cam's house.. so if he were to have made a few hints, its much more likely to have been there.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I thoguth that it was in the old nursery at Windsor, where they had dinner.

Well you are correct. I asked my sister about this because she was there with me at Windsor Castle. She said, "The guide pointed and said that is where Prince Charles proposed to Diana Spencer." Someone in our group said, "On that bench?" Guide, "No...I'm pointing at the nursery above." So I missed that some how. My sister also said they asked if they could see it and the guide said, "No...besides it looks all different now as they have remodeled rooms." 22 years ago, Sept. 1997.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
Well you are correct. I asked my sister about this because she was there with me at Windsor Castle. She said, "The guide pointed and said that is where Prince Charles proposed to Diana Spencer." Someone in our group said, "On that bench?" Guide, "No...I'm pointing at the nursery above." So I missed that some how. My sister also said they asked if they could see it and the guide said, "No...besides it looks all different now as they have remodeled rooms." 22 years ago, Sept. 1997.
A little bench in he garden sounds more romantic.. but it was winter!
Old 04-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Diana and Camilla, in a 1980 image:
https://www.ecestaticos.com/image/cl...1980-getty.jpg

When was this picture taken?
Old 04-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Princess Diana and Camilla, in a 1980 image:
https://www.ecestaticos.com/image/cl...1980-getty.jpg

When was this picture taken?
in 1980 ...pre marriage.

LaRae
Old 04-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I didn't know Diana had known Camilla so long before the wedding.
Were they friends for a while?
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

They were not exactly friends before she married Prince Charles. During the courtship period, Charles reportedly introduced the two women(he of course had known Camilla awhile).

Since he was close to Camilla, he wanted to get her opinion of Lady Diana.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana