The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3061  
Old 02-13-2020, 03:59 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 5,856
Prince Charles and Princess Diana visited Portugal in February 1987 to commemorate the Valentine's Day wedding six hundred years before of an English princess, Philippa of Lancaster, the daughter of John of Gaunt, to King John I of Portugal.

Prince Charles proposed to Lady Diana in the gardens at Bolehyde Manor, the home of Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles. What do you think of Prince Charles proposing to Diana at his grandmother's Castle of Mey?

In 1987 Prince Charles went to Italy on a painting holiday. Did Princess Diana ever accompany Prince Charles on a painting holiday?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3062  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:53 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,304
I remember that tour as being one of the first times that Diana wore a short above-the-knees skirt on official duties.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3063  
Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,115
I thought the proposal took place at Windsor. Charles proposed to Diana during the winter, I suspect that the Castle of Mey would not have been very hospitable at that time of year. Plus it is very remote.
Reply With Quote
  #3064  
Old 03-03-2020, 01:22 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Prince Charles proposed to Lady Diana in the gardens at Bolehyde Manor, the home of Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles. What do you think of Prince Charles proposing to Diana at his grandmother's Castle of Mey?
Do you have a source for that statement?
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #3065  
Old 03-03-2020, 05:46 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,498
Diana didn't seem to remember any proposals in Scotland or at the Parker Bowles home. However she did recollect one at Windsor Castle on February 6th 1981, which was the location in every biography I've every read on Diana and Charles.
Reply With Quote
  #3066  
Old 03-04-2020, 04:40 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Do you have a source for that statement?
The source is After Diana by Christopher Anderson.
Reply With Quote
  #3067  
Old 03-05-2020, 01:31 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,052

i didn't know this book, so Googled it, and two of the first quotes that came up in the marketing of it are:
""This family did not have a drop of humanity in it before. I think Ive changed that." --Diana"
"All the compelling elements of a true dynastic saga are here: power, sex, wealth, intrigue, betrayal, tragedy, and scandal.*"

I guess I'm not the writer's target audience but I'm sure the audience will be large enough without me
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #3068  
Old 03-05-2020, 02:14 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
I’ve always found Christopher Anderson’s books to be rife with stories that belong to the tabloids rather than being serious journalistic endeavors.
Reply With Quote
  #3069  
Old 03-05-2020, 04:39 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,955
does it actually say that Charles proposed to Diana somewhere other than Windsor? because that is where it is generally accepted that he proposed...
Reply With Quote
  #3070  
Old 03-09-2020, 09:25 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Liberty, Missouri, United States
Posts: 51
I definitely remember our guide at Windsor Castle pointing out a bench that had flowers planted all around it and it was on this little knoll inside the gardens. You could not get to it though as it was behind a black iron fence. At any rate she said that was where Prince Charles proposed to Diana.
Reply With Quote
  #3071  
Old 03-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
I definitely remember our guide at Windsor Castle pointing out a bench that had flowers planted all around it and it was on this little knoll inside the gardens. You could not get to it though as it was behind a black iron fence. At any rate she said that was where Prince Charles proposed to Diana.
I thoguth that it was in the old nursery at Windsor, where they had dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #3072  
Old 03-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,304
That's certainly what Diana recalled for "Her True Story."
Reply With Quote
  #3073  
Old 03-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,304
Although I can't recall a particular source, it seems as though there were questions asked by Charles of the "If I were to ask you to marry me..." sort. They could have been asked in different locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Diana didn't seem to remember any proposals in Scotland or at the Parker Bowles home. However she did recollect one at Windsor Castle on February 6th 1981, which was the location in every biography I've every read on Diana and Charles.
Reply With Quote
  #3074  
Old 03-13-2020, 05:57 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Although I can't recall a particular source, it seems as though there were questions asked by Charles of the "If I were to ask you to marry me..." sort. They could have been asked in different locations.
I doubt if it was in Scotand. she did visit there but it was relatively early in tehir courtship. She saw Charles regularly at Highgrove and Cam's house.. so if he were to have made a few hints, its much more likely to have been there.
Reply With Quote
  #3075  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Liberty, Missouri, United States
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I thoguth that it was in the old nursery at Windsor, where they had dinner.

Well you are correct. I asked my sister about this because she was there with me at Windsor Castle. She said, "The guide pointed and said that is where Prince Charles proposed to Diana Spencer." Someone in our group said, "On that bench?" Guide, "No...I'm pointing at the nursery above." So I missed that some how. My sister also said they asked if they could see it and the guide said, "No...besides it looks all different now as they have remodeled rooms." 22 years ago, Sept. 1997.
Reply With Quote
  #3076  
Old 03-22-2020, 07:08 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
Well you are correct. I asked my sister about this because she was there with me at Windsor Castle. She said, "The guide pointed and said that is where Prince Charles proposed to Diana Spencer." Someone in our group said, "On that bench?" Guide, "No...I'm pointing at the nursery above." So I missed that some how. My sister also said they asked if they could see it and the guide said, "No...besides it looks all different now as they have remodeled rooms." 22 years ago, Sept. 1997.
A little bench in he garden sounds more romantic.. but it was winter!
Reply With Quote
  #3077  
Old 04-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 4,680
Princess Diana and Camilla, in a 1980 image:
https://www.ecestaticos.com/image/cl...1980-getty.jpg

When was this picture taken?
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #3078  
Old 04-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Princess Diana and Camilla, in a 1980 image:
https://www.ecestaticos.com/image/cl...1980-getty.jpg

When was this picture taken?
in 1980 ...pre marriage.



LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #3079  
Old 04-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 4,680
I didn't know Diana had known Camilla so long before the wedding.
Were they friends for a while?
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #3080  
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,131
They were not exactly friends before she married Prince Charles. During the courtship period, Charles reportedly introduced the two women(he of course had known Camilla awhile).

Since he was close to Camilla, he wanted to get her opinion of Lady Diana.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles and Diana Picture Thread Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 449 10-11-2019 12:46 AM
Charles and Diana: Visit to Italy - 1985 jun5 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 57 09-02-2012 09:35 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism biography british brownbitcoinqueen canada carolin chittagong commonwealth countries coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up dna duke of sussex dutch royal family emperor fantasy movie gustaf vi adolf haakon vii heraldry hill history interesting introduction israel jack brooksbank jewelry jumma kent książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg maxima nepal nepalese royal family popularity prince charles prince constantijn princess alexia (2005 -) princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth pronunciation queen consort queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain startling new evidence stuart swedish queen taiwan thailand tips tracts united kingdom von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×