The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2861  
Old 04-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Exactly. She had a romanticized vision of marriage rather than seeing marriage as a partnership of melding body, mind and soul that takes work and compromises and the "I don't like you too much right now" days.

Mmm. A big ask of any 19 year old, let alone one who -in the light of her parents' disastrous marriage- lost herself in Barbara Cartland's fantasy world of innocent virgins who found themselves crushed to the bosom of a tall, dark and handsome man who put right all the wrongs in their world. Those men were all to emotionally strong to have their own problems!!!!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2862  
Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 756
I think the basic, underlying problem was that neither party really, truly thought through what the marriage would need to be on a day-to-day basis and whether they were truly compatible on that level. She because she had a totally unrealistic expectation of soulmates meeting each others' every emotional need, he because he seemed to have given up on the idea of his wife being his great love, so to speak, and also seemed to assume that with time any aristocratic woman would grow into having the default aristo interests, which would be enough to maintain a partnership whether or not a real love match developed.

If either one had been as thoughtful and clearheaded about evaluating the prospect of marriage as Amanda Knatchbull was when Charles proposed to her (again, without there seeming to be any real spark of chemistry beyond friendship), the disaster of the whole thing could have very easily been headed off. Because they were horribly, horribly suited for one another.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2863  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:32 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,108
If Charles and Diana would have settled into an open marriage, and actually they did, it would have hurt their reputations in the long-term, the sensibilities in the 1980s and 90s would not have tolerated that kind of arrangement. Diana cooperating with the Morton book, and in particular, crafting a story where she was the long-suffering victim of her faithless husband and his mistress was shady, reaaal shady, but it was brilliant too. Setting aside what it says about her character, "Thick as a Plank" Diana figured out that it was only a matter of time before the lid would be blown off the her and Charles' Happy Valley shenanigans, she also knew that the public would not look favorably on a couple whose day jobs often involved them working together as a team, and occasionally giving the public glimpses of their family lives, living double lives. So her response was to be pro-active and get "her true story" out to the public and make sure that she came out smelling like a rose, and if Charles, his lover, the BRF did not fare as well. then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
Reply With Quote
  #2864  
Old 04-30-2018, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 3,010
Diana married a man many years her senior and a "royal", whatever that means. It meant that she had a foolish expectation of how he would conduct himself. She was insecure and he added to it. He hade a woman he loved. Really loved. Diana was window dressing. But she took center stage and he didn't care to give up his primary status. They were both flowers, they needed to marry a gardener. Camilla is such. She mothers Charles. He needed that. She was part of the mess. The real pity is that the archaic, smug rules that pushed Charles into committing to a woman he didn't love, but fit the pedigree for his future children. She was a brood mare. But things have changed. Probably because of her. And in the end he lived to publicly redeem himself and she can never do that, as death leaves her without a platform.
Reply With Quote
  #2865  
Old 04-30-2018, 10:56 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If they were incompatible, he should not have married her in the first place, as he did on his own free will. One doesn't marry another person on the hope that their potential "shared interests" might eventually "develop into love" (whatever love means). Marriage is not to be taken that lightly.

In the end, all the previous posts are a rehashed variation of the same usual anti-Diana theme: Charles could never have loved her because she was not right for him. Other more aggressive posters would go further and add "because she was mentally disturbed", or "because she was unfaithful herself".

The broader picture is that, for hundreds of years, women have put up with unfaithful husbands and felt guilty about it on the premise that, if their husbands were having extra-marital affairs, it was because they were not good enough wives to please their men. It is unfortunate that this PoV resurfaces again, from time to time, even in the 21st century.
Yes, it's refreshing that royal marriages no longer begin with a 30-year old prince leaving the comfort of his mistress's bed in search of an aristocratic virgin. It was absurd even in 1981.
Reply With Quote
  #2866  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes, it's refreshing that royal marriages no longer begin with a 30-year old prince leaving the comfort of his mistress's bed in search of an aristocratic virgin. It was absurd even in 1981.
Oh good lord not this ridiculousness again
Reply With Quote
  #2867  
Old 05-16-2018, 02:04 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Oh good lord not this ridiculousness again
well I suppose the old ideat that the royal bride had to be a virgin, and that suitable birth was ultra important was bound to be gone by now... however in these marriages, the idea was that whether they worked out on a personal level or not the marriage had to keep going. now once you open it to "marriage for love", IMO you also open it to "if it doesn't work out you just get a divorce and move on.."
Reply With Quote
  #2868  
Old 05-26-2018, 03:13 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Exactly. She had a romanticized vision of marriage rather than seeing marriage as a partnership of melding body, mind and soul that takes work and compromises and the "I don't like you too much right now" days.
I think Diana also had some misconceptions even in her happily ever after view. In Sally Bedell Smith's book it talks about how Diana did not even want Charles to go on royal engagements that he had to do for his position. She wanted him to stay with her. Even on soap operas, people have to go to work. That book was an eye opener for me.
Reply With Quote
  #2869  
Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Bedell Smith's book is wildly biased against Diana....
Reply With Quote
  #2870  
Old 05-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,331
I found Bedell Smith's book was eye opening and one of the best books I ever invested in when it comes to Diana.

Bedell Smith didn't seek to deride or defame Diana but actually looked at her from an objective point of view and portrayed her as the human being she was. Warts and all. Its an in depth look at the characteristics that was Diana's makeup. She takes the same approach writing about Charles in "Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life".

Both are excellent books IMO.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #2871  
Old 05-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
I certainly would not agree... I havent' read the Charles book because I was very much put off B Smith's style by her Diana book...
Reply With Quote
  #2872  
Old 05-30-2018, 08:55 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 5,757
Did Princess Diana feel trapped in her marriage to Prince Charles?

Did Diana feel bereft without Charles after the separation? He had been the focus of her life over eleven years.

How lonely do you think Lady Diana felt when she first became acquainted with Prince Charles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why would she feel lonely? DO you mean she felt lonely because of Charles not being the most attentive boyfriend or that she was lonely at the time they began their courtship....
Did Diana feel lonely because of Charles not being the most attentive boyfriend?

How lonely do you think Diana felt when she was the Princess of Wales?

Do you think that Diana as the Princess of Wales might not have been so lonely if her sisters Sarah and Jane could have visited her more often and had alone time with her?

Prince Charles and Princess Diana made an official visit to Paris, France. Would you say on this occasion Charles had been allowed to shine? He delivered speeches in French. Diana understood French but could not speak French.

In the spring of 1983 Prince Charles and Princess Diana visited Australia. They visited Canada the same year. The Princess was popular. A new word began to appear in the vocabulary of the media: "Di-mania".

Prince Charles and Princess Diana had made trips to the United States. Why did Charles refer to the United States as "Diana territory"?

Did Diana once remark she thought she could cope with royal life if she had the Prince alongside her?
Reply With Quote
  #2873  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,331
That, m'friend, has to be the understatement of the month when it comes to Charles and Diana's marriage. It wasn't long before the honeymoon was over and Diana realized just how the reality of being married to the Prince of Wales would structure her life from there on out.

I think there were a lot of emotions that played out on Diana's end. Disillusionment along with feeling trapped in the "gilded fishbowl" were very much in play.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #2874  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Oh good lord not this ridiculousness again

LOL. that was my first thought too. But still I started reading...
Reply With Quote
  #2875  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,108
Diana was a moving target. She has said things along the lines of she did not want the separation in 1992 nor did she not want the divorce. But there were also stories about her and Fergie having a plan to jointly escape the Windsor fold.


My guess is that Diana felt trapped during those times when she was not getting her way and realized that no amount of scheming and tantruming would not work in her favor.
Reply With Quote
  #2876  
Old 05-31-2018, 01:02 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Did Princess Diana feel trapped in her marriage to Prince Charles?
Ha! Is the Pope catholic?
Reply With Quote
  #2877  
Old 05-31-2018, 03:08 AM
Nice Nofret's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
Ha! Is the Pope catholic?


the last one certainly was, about the current one, I'm not yet sure




- sorry I know - off topic, but couldn't resist
Reply With Quote
  #2878  
Old 06-02-2018, 03:32 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Diana was a moving target. She has said things along the lines of she did not want the separation in 1992 nor did she not want the divorce. But there were also stories about her and Fergie having a plan to jointly escape the Windsor fold.


My guess is that Diana felt trapped during those times when she was not getting her way and realized that no amount of scheming and tantruming would not work in her favor.
her feelings changed... I think she felt unhappy within the marriage and wished to be free, but when the divorce happened, she began to realise that she had spent all her adult life, virtually in the RF, and that outside, there was a difficult world that she had not learned to negotiate.. and that without the protection of the RF, she was going to be struggling. So she panicked and half wished that she could remain in the marriage...
Reply With Quote
  #2879  
Old 06-02-2018, 04:07 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,331
I agree. She was between a rock and hard place and had no clue how to live without the protection of being married into the RF or negotiate the waters without them. It was an alien world she had to negotiate without a port in storm to anchor her.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #2880  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post

the last one certainly was, about the current one, I'm not yet sure




- sorry I know - off topic, but couldn't resist

Love it!!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles and Diana Picture Thread Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 449 10-11-2019 12:46 AM
Charles and Diana: Visit to Italy - 1985 jun5 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 57 09-02-2012 09:35 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism biography british brownbitcoinqueen canada chittagong coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up emperor fantasy movie gustaf vi adolf haakon vii heraldry hill history interesting introduction israel jack brooksbank jewelry jumma kent king salman list of rulers luxembourg mailing maxima monaco history nepal nepalese royal family nobel 2019 norwegian royal family popularity prince charles prince constantijn prince daniel princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth pronunciation queen consort queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress saudi arabia spain startling new evidence stuart swedish queen swedish royal family taiwan thailand tracts united kingdom visit from sweden von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×