The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

When Prince Charles first proposed to Lady Diana, was her mother Frances in England or in Australia?
When Prince Charles first proposed to Lady Diana, who was the first person that Diana told the exciting news to?

Old 03-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure where Frances was, Diana did go to her mother's for 2 weeks after Charles proposed before it was announced in order to give her time to think about it.

At some point Frances did come to the U.K. because IIRC she was there in London when Diana went to that first engagement in that famous black dress.

LaRae

Old 03-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
While not an apology to Charles and/or the BRF, I did come across this. By the way, Penny Junor is the source of both claims.
Since Penny is inclined to favour Charles and Diana and to see Diana as crazy, difficult, pretty much a monster, she is likely to portray Diana as "someone that even her relatives were embarrassed by.."
Old 03-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
When Prince Charles first proposed to Lady Diana, was her mother Frances in England or in Australia?
When Prince Charles first proposed to Lady Diana, who was the first person that Diana told the exciting news to?
I assume she was in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Since Penny is inclined to favour Charles and Diana and to see Diana as crazy, difficult, pretty much a monster, she is likely to portray Diana as "someone that even her relatives were embarrassed by.."
Junor is a well known Charles sympathizer vis a vis Diana, but Junor writes that Diana's father and grandmother said these things, as opposed to her [Junor] making an assumption or speculating.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Royal Highness

How true. When we read articles etc., by certain authors such as Penny Junor or Andrew Morton, they have to be taken with a large grain of salt due to the fact that one was a friend/supporter of Diana and the other of Charles. So their views writings will be skewed in favor of one or the other of the Wales. The same can be said of Richard Kay of the DM and his highly biased articles on Diana.
There never was any evidence that Lady Fermoy and QEQM conspired to match Charles and Diana and push them into marrying, that's true. I brought it up because the press "inferred" as such in gushing articles after the engagement and marriage. I guess I should have added where the idea came from I don't know, the imagination of some reporter perhaps. Maybe it sounded even more romantic, "your grandson and my granddaughter would be perfect for one another." It added to the myth.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Majesty

Frances was in Australia. According to Bedell Smith Diana went to her mother and stepfather's home there to think over wedding plans. She must have returned to Britain soon after her daughter though, as both of them shopped together for the blue suit and blouse Diana wore for the BP photo op and interview.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Yes she was living or spending a good deal fo time in Austraila then. however I'm sure she was ready to dash back to London to be with Diana during the engagement and for the wedding... Frances has always IMO been vry quick to lap up the notice from being Dianas mother but not to be there very much in any meaningful way to help her daughter.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post

How true. When we read articles etc., by certain authors such as Penny Junor or Andrew Morton, they have to be taken with a large grain of salt due to the fact that one was a friend/supporter of Diana and the other of Charles. So There never was any evidence that Lady Fermoy and QEQM conspired to match Charles and Diana and push them into marrying, that's true. I brought it up because the press "inferred" as such in gushing articles after the engagement and marriage. I guess I should have added where the idea came from I don't know, the imagination of some reporter perhaps. Maybe it sounded even more romantic, "your grandson and my granddaughter would be perfect for one another." It added to the myth.
I think that Junor, like Rich Kay and Morton, are pretty biased in favour of their chosen royals. Severely so
I tried reading Junor's recent bio of Camilla and although I like Camilla, I found it So gushingly pro Camilla that I had to give up reading it. I certainly would take what all 3 of them say with large pinches of salt.
I think the idea of the grandmother's making the match, or helping it along, were largely the imaginings of journalists.. it all sounds so deliciously archaic, 2 delightful old ladies, deciding that their lovely grandchildren would be good for each other and "charmingly conspiring" to get them together...and the 2 young people falling in love.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

No matter what...when your house is not in order, everything else falls apart.

I wish Charles and Diana were given the time and space to get their household in order. Worry about duties later, but get your house in order.

None of that happened.

I’m glad their children appear to have learned from the past.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The heck with the household. By the time they married, it was already too late. These were two people that didn't really even know each other before venturing onto a "till death do us part" path.

There were just too many expectations and proper boxes to be checked off that determined how right and proper and "suitable" the marriage would be and the two people actually involved in the marriage got lost along the way somewhere.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The heck with the household. By the time they married, it was already too late. These were two people that didn't really even know each other before venturing onto a "till death do us part" path.

There were just too many expectations and proper boxes to be checked off that determined how right and proper and "suitable" the marriage would be and the two people actually involved in the marriage got lost along the way somewhere.
Yeah, but I’m talking about when the marriage was at it’s worst. They had happy days though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Majesty

Not many..
Old 03-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I remain firmly convinced if they'd of actually dated a year, had more private dates, they would of never married.

LaRae
Old 03-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm with you on that one, Pranter.

Everything about Charles and Diana's relationship heading into the marriage was pretty much on the superficial level and they "seemed" to be a good match but when it came down to the actual pairing of personalities and likes and dislikes, they were oceans apart.

I wouldn't give this couple even six months of just living together before marriage. Both of them would be heading for the door after three months.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Too much pressure from the media and his father (even if not intended) ...I mean really if you need to go 'poll' your friends on what type of wife would she make, could she fit in etc...not at all a man in love. She was just a giddy teen caught up in all of it...and saw the opportunity for stability she'd always wanted...'marrying the only man in England that can't divorce me' says a lot IMO. Not a strong enough person at that time to call it off when she raised concerns with her family.

LaRae
Old 03-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I remain firmly convinced if they'd of actually dated a year, had more private dates, they would of never married.

LaRae
They both wanted to get married, for reasons of their own. Esp Diana... so I think she would have managed to deceive herself for a logn time that she was keen on the Royal lifestyle.. and he would have tried to fall in love with her.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Majesty

Diana was a romantic teenage girl who seemed to see Prince Charles as her hero, the man who could never leave her. Then, after they were engaged, she realized that he was a very busy man with previous girlfriends who were still around. Charles needed a consort. I think that he liked Diana a lot but realized, as the wedding date grew closer. that she wasn't entirely what he thought she was. So they both went into the marriage with misgivings but with hopes that it was the right thing. I'm not sure how long either of them really tried to "make it work", but there was great affection at the beginning that no-one can deny.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

On February 4, 1981 Prince Charles proposed to Lady Diana. On February 24 the announcement was made about the betrothal. In between the proposal and the announcement, Charles had asked the permission of the bride's father, Earl Spencer.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

How incompatible were Princess Diana and Prince Charles? Was Charles too self-centered to begin to understand Diana?
Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

IMHO, Charles and Diane were very incompatible because they both were insecure and needed a partner that was emotionally stronger than themselves to bolster their self esteem. (I don't think Charles was any more self centred than Diana). I think they made each other worse and unhappy because of this incompatibilty. Camille is a much better match for Charles (regardless of her role in the breakdown of his marriage) and Diana would have been happier with someone like Dr. Hasnat Khan in temperament (although that relationship didn't last for several reasons including Dr. Khan's discomfort with her fame.)

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana