The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2421  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
She had far more than a jealous streak. It's not for nothing it's called 'the green-eyed monster.' The real problem exists when jealousy is seen as 'justified' and 'normal', rather than the defect it is that needs transforming.

Had she been a bit more clear-eyed (and centered in herself) she would have understood that Charles would have been as loyal and devoted to her as to any of his friends (and then some as his wife and the mother of his children). We are forever seeing him and that relationship through the imperfect gauze of Diana's imperfect expectations and skewed experience. Treating it as 'truth' when it was never that really.
Her imperfect expectations? Expecting a husband to love her and not have a mistress, he really loved. What a fool Diana was. And he would have been as devoted to her as to any of his friends???? Green eyed monster. Again, she was a fool to marry him. He was a cad to marry her. And a spineless twit not to say Camilla was not negotiable. That he loved Camilla is quite acceptable. That he expected a wife to understand that is sheer insanity. At least, by those of us who foolishly married for love and expected to be returned. Charles is and was a spoiled, over worshiped figure, who worried about himself first. He needed a mother, he said so and got one.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2422  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Her imperfect expectations? Expecting a husband to love her and not have a mistress, he really loved. What a fool Diana was. And he would have been as devoted to her as to any of his friends???? Green eyed monster. Again, she was a fool to marry him. He was a cad to marry her. And a spineless twit not to say Camilla was not negotiable. That he loved Camilla is quite acceptable. That he expected a wife to understand that is sheer insanity. At least, by those of us who foolishly married for love and expected to be returned. Charles is and was a spoiled, over worshiped figure, who worried about himself first. He needed a mother, he said so and got one.
It's beyond disturbing for anyone to come down hard on Diana because her husband couldn't let another married woman go. It's like getting mad at a wife for daring to get upset that her husband is getting busy with another woman in her own house. None of it makes sense.

Then again, many now see Diana as just a thorn in the side of a couples very successful love story.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #2423  
Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Her imperfect expectations? Expecting a husband to love her and not have a mistress, he really loved. What a fool Diana was. And he would have been as devoted to her as to any of his friends???? Green eyed monster. Again, she was a fool to marry him. He was a cad to marry her. And a spineless twit not to say Camilla was not negotiable. That he loved Camilla is quite acceptable. That he expected a wife to understand that is sheer insanity. At least, by those of us who foolishly married for love and expected to be returned. Charles is and was a spoiled, over worshiped figure, who worried about himself first. He needed a mother, he said so and got one.


Thank you, thank you, thank you
you have said what I've always wanted too say but haven't had the courage
Reply With Quote
  #2424  
Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,399
Yes, Countess. Perfect!
Reply With Quote
  #2425  
Old 06-27-2017, 01:32 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Her imperfect expectations? Expecting a husband to love her and not have a mistress, he really loved. What a fool Diana was. And he would have been as devoted to her as to any of his friends???? Green eyed monster. Again, she was a fool to marry him. He was a cad to marry her. And a spineless twit not to say Camilla was not negotiable. That he loved Camilla is quite acceptable. That he expected a wife to understand that is sheer insanity. At least, by those of us who foolishly married for love and expected to be returned. Charles is and was a spoiled, over worshiped figure, who worried about himself first. He needed a mother, he said so and got one.
We are a long ways off topic. Maybe a moderator could move all these posts to the correct thread?

You misread what i was saying and I'm not sure my trying to untangle the misreading is a worthwhile endeavor at this point. Only to say, Diana had all the cards (even Camilla told her that) and she blew it.

You are convinced that he entered the marriage in ill-faith because that's what Diana told you he did and you believe her, so there is really nothing much to say. As long as that is your context, as long as you see Charles as 'a cad' and the evil perpetrator of a deception, every rationale will flow from that supposition. There's really no discussion.

I do agree that Diana should not have married The Prince of Wales. The public would have been saved a lot of drama had she just refrained from satisfying her ambition to snag him. Not so?
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #2426  
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,399
And Charles was just a piece of putty in her hands? HE proposed to HER, not the other way around! Plus, one of those two people was in love when they stood at the altar. And that one was not Charles, at least not with the very young woman he was to marry. And he himself said so to Dimbleby.
Reply With Quote
  #2427  
Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
And Charles was just a piece of putty in her hands? HE proposed to HER, not the other way around! Plus, one of those two people was in love when they stood at the altar. And that one was not Charles, at least not with the very young woman he was to marry.
If Diana was 'in love' with Charles why did she want to call off the wedding, why was she looking around the church?

She was 'in love' with being a Princess - not Charles the man but an image.

They didn't even know each other.

Sorry but this was an arranged marriage and both wanted out but were pushed into by their families.

If they had been any ordinary couple they would never have married as neither loved the other.
Reply With Quote
  #2428  
Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,399
Diana was in love with Charles, wished to marry him (and I for one wish the marriage had never gone ahead) but became increasingly perturbed by never getting a clear answer about his feelings for Camilla during the engagement. (Junor herself says this.)

Diana did become increasingly nervous about how Charles really felt as the engagement went on and she wished to withdraw. I don't believe however that this was an arranged marriage in any way, (the Queen, according to Dimbleby didn't express any opinion yea or nay as to whether he should marry Diana) though they certainly didn't know each other very well.
Reply With Quote
  #2429  
Old 06-27-2017, 04:37 AM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
And Charles was just a piece of putty in her hands? HE proposed to HER, not the other way around! Plus, one of those two people was in love when they stood at the altar. And that one was not Charles, at least not with the very young woman he was to marry. And he himself said so to Dimbleby.
And he basically said so to Diana when he proposed to her, according to Diana herself, and also to the public during the engagement interview.

According to Diana when she cried when saw Charles off to Australia it was because of she was in turmoil regarding Charles not being over Camilla. That was in March and IMO in enough time to call off the wedding.

Yes Charles proposed to Diana but he did not propose to her because he was in love with her nor did he lead her to believe that was why he proposed to her. If Diana wanted a marriage where both parties were in love with each other she had ample information that was not the case with Charles, nevertheless she accepted his proposal.

P.S.
I actually think that Diana was in love with Charles' position and not Charles himself.
Reply With Quote
  #2430  
Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
And he basically said so to Diana when he proposed to her, according to Diana herself, and also to the public during the engagement interview.

According to Diana when she cried when saw Charles off to Australia it was because of she was in turmoil regarding Charles not being over Camilla. That was in March and IMO in enough time to call off the wedding.

P.S.
I actually think that Diana was in love with Charles' position and not Charles himself.
yes well you're wrong there. She was In love with him.. in a chldish way. and if it was after the engagement was announced there was no way that Charles or Di cold have called off the wedding.
and while yes Diana seems ot have said that Charles said something like "whatever love means" at the proposal I don't believe he did. I don't believe he was "gushing" over her, but I don't believe that he made it clear at the proposal, that he didn't love her...
Reply With Quote
  #2431  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,331
Actually, at the onset of their courtship and their subsequent engagement, I do believe there were three in the picture. Diana, Charles and The Prince of Wales.

Diana hardly had time to get to know Charles, the man, on a deeper level considering how short the courtship and engagement was. It went the other way too. Charles hardly had time to get to know Diana, the person, too.

Camilla was an external factor. No denying that she was there but had Charles and Diana really gotten to know each other, that issue of what was, what is real at that time and how it should be perceived by both parties would have and could have affected the entire outcome of their relationship.

Definitely a good lesson in look before you leap.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #2432  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,399
I do believe Diana was head over heels in a Barbara Cartlandish romantic mist sort of way, and that Charles hoped that love would come. I certainly don't believe that he ever intimated to Diana before their marriage that he didn't love her.

However, I remain convinced that if Charles had decided he and Diana would take one year to get to know each other, if he had resisted the pressure to wed that was coming from many directions, then after more dating they both would have realised they just weren't meant for each other. Both would have then gone on to other loves. Who was it who said 'What if..?' is the saddest phrase in the English language'?
Reply With Quote
  #2433  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
I think he 'intimated' to millions of folks with Diana present he didn't know that he loved her....whatever love is....


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2434  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
However, I remain convinced that if Charles had decided he and Diana would take one year to get to know each other, if he had resisted the pressure to wed that was coming from many directions, then after more dating they both would have realised they just weren't meant for each other. Both would have then gone on to other loves. Who was it who said 'What if..?' is the saddest phrase in the English language'?
This puts into a nutshell what I was trying to point out earlier. I seriously believe that when Charles married, it was The Prince of Wales at the altar rather than Charles, the man. Charles, the man, wasn't being pressured to marry. The Prince of Wales was.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #2435  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
yes well you're wrong there. She was In love with him.. in a chldish way. and if it was after the engagement was announced there was no way that Charles or Di cold have called off the wedding.
and while yes Diana seems ot have said that Charles said something like "whatever love means" at the proposal I don't believe he did. I don't believe he was "gushing" over her, but I don't believe that he made it clear at the proposal, that he didn't love her...
So what was it about Charles himself that engendered Diana's "childish" love?
Reply With Quote
  #2436  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,091
I don't think there's anyone who doesn't agree if they had waited a year more than likely they would of parted ways.

As for the attraction to Diana, he was the only man in England that couldn't divorce her. I think she empathized with him over his loss and was drawn to his sensitivity. He probably appeared very glamorous to her as well. She knew the family somewhat ..but she might not of known enough. Teenage girl ..older man. Not the first time that's happened.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #2437  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
So what was it about Charles himself that engendered Diana's "childish" love?
how can anyone say what makes anyone love another person? She thought he was dashing and sporty, he was portrayed In the press at that time as "Actionman", doing a lot of exciting sports.. he'd been in the Navy.. he was seen around with pretty girls..
And she thought of him as very clever, a "deep thinker", who knew lots of stuff that she didn't know about..
The fact that he coudlnt divorce..was a plus because she wanted a secure marriage for her and her children.. and clearly she hoped he would be (because he was super rich and as she saw it had no serious resposnbilities) home a lot, a doting husband and a father who was there to provide security and companionship for her and her children. If she had "only been in love with his position", why would she have cared about his loving another woman?
Reply With Quote
  #2438  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,762
I was in love with an older man when I was 19. He was handsome, gallant, charming, not rich, but brilliant and ambitious. I married him. In short order, I learned that he was cold, controlling, possessive, jealous, and selfish. He didn't have another woman, but I divorced him anyway. You just don't know things when you are a teenager, and you make mistakes accordingly.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #2439  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
how can anyone say what makes anyone love another person? She thought he was dashing and sporty, he was portrayed In the press at that time as "Actionman", doing a lot of exciting sports.. he'd been in the Navy.. he was seen around with pretty girls..
And she thought of him as very clever, a "deep thinker", who knew lots of stuff that she didn't know about..
The fact that he coudlnt divorce..was a plus because she wanted a secure marriage for her and her children.. and clearly she hoped he would be (because he was super rich and as she saw it had no serious resposnbilities) home a lot, a doting husband and a father who was there to provide security and companionship for her and her children. If she had "only been in love with his position", why would she have cared about his loving another woman?
If the part in bold was, in fact, how she perceived things to be, I think she was seriously delusional. The courtship would have proven that to her. The reason why they didn't spend too much time together during the courtship and the engagement was actually because of the serious responsibilities of his role as The Prince of Wales and also his burgeoning projects that were to define his role as The Prince of Wales to him personally.

Then again, there was the anecdote told often about Diana riding a tricycle with a tiara on her head chanting "I'm going to be Princess of Wales!". Whether or not that actually happened and is a reality we'll probably never know but I've read it often enough.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #2440  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,660
She wasn't "delusional".. She was nave and problaby thought that yes he has to be POW, but he is still going to have lots of time to spend with me and the kids. And Charles HAS a lot of leisure.. just he had his own way of spending it and it didn't mostly involve "taking the baby for a walk".. though I think he did try for a bit.
I agree that Diana didn't fully understand the work that Charles does, and how dediciated he is to his self imposed tasks. But she only found htat out after they were engaged..
And I dont know where you got this idea of her "riding a tricylcle" with a tiara on her head.. The story, which seems to come form some equerry, and sounds to me anyway "sourced"..
was that the night before the wedding, he met Diana, who was at a loose end, and asked her to come for a drink in the equerries room
She went along. found a bike in the room and rode it around singing "IM going to marry the POW".
I dont quite see what is wrong with that, except that the version with the "tiara" etc seems to make her sound ridiculous.. If true, the "bike" story shows that she was happy, hopeful, keen to marry Charles.. and not as gloomy prior to the wedding as she later made herself out to be.
Yes of course his being POW was bound to be a part of what attracted girls to him.. but with most of them it was only a part. They were upper class, while they were impressed by his royal positon -it did not overwhelm them. They knew the RF, and possibly other Royals.. they were accustomed to great wealth and big historical homes.
So IMO Diana was impressed and pleased with the idea of marrying the Prince and being queen one day, but she was also in love with Charles as a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I was in love with an older man when I was 19. He was handsome, gallant, charming, not rich, but brilliant and ambitious. I married him. In short order, I learned that he was cold, controlling, possessive, jealous, and selfish. He didn't have another woman, but I divorced him anyway. You just don't know things when you are a teenager, and you make mistakes accordingly.
well yes that's one experience. Diana was in love with Charles.. it was a mistake because she didn't know him well enough. But other girls of 19 marry older men and it works out fine...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles and Diana Picture Thread Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 449 10-11-2019 12:46 AM
Charles and Diana: Visit to Italy - 1985 jun5 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 57 09-02-2012 09:35 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones baptism biography british brownbitcoinqueen canada chittagong coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up emperor fantasy movie gustaf vi adolf haakon vii heraldry hill history interesting introduction israel jack brooksbank jewelry jumma kent king salman list of rulers luxembourg mailing maxima monaco history nepal nepalese royal family nobel 2019 norwegian royal family popularity prince charles prince constantijn prince daniel princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess elizabeth pronunciation queen consort queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress saudi arabia spain startling new evidence stuart swedish queen swedish royal family taiwan thailand tracts united kingdom visit from sweden von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×