Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was 14 years old, and I was watching some tv when the regular scheduled program got interrupted by the sad news. I was in disbelief and then told my parents who rushed to see the news on tv. VERY sad day.

I was in the middle of a break-up when i heard for the first time about Diana's death. It was in the afternoon of the next day that i heard it. And of course i could not believe it as i a was a firm collector of Diana items and she was a part of my life, i could not believe that she wasn't there anymore. The following days where full with disbelieve and just confusion. Due to circumstances i had to watch the funeral in black and white.
This was a crazy period with all the media attention that followed.

I was in the middle of a break-up when i heard for the first time about Diana's death. It was in the afternoon of the next day that i heard it. And of course i could not believe it as i a was a firm collector of Diana items and she was a part of my life, i could not believe that she wasn't there anymore. The following days where full with disbelieve and just confusion. Due to circumstances i had to watch the funeral in black and white.
This was a crazy period with all the media attention that followed.
I can relate to what you are saying. Even at my young age, and even though I never met her, I felt like I lost a friend.
Even more so, I think, because I am disabled, she did such good work for people in my position, raised money for us, and had an aura of acceptance, tolerance, and compassion towards us.
Plus it was just inconceivable before then to think of her dying. I mean I know she was a human being. Humans die. But she was also a princess. To an near 8 year old as I was at the time, princesses live in fairy tales, they do not die, they are immortal. Sadly ,I know ( and accept) the truth now. But I wish with all my heart she was here now. If I feel that way, I cannot imagine how Wills and Harry feel.

It is so hard to believe that 14 yrs has passed. Meet heer twice once in Buderium, and the other in Oxford she was so sweet both occasions and she remarked how funny we should be seeing each other in such different parts of the world. My son who was only about 3 when we lived in Oxford, touched her face and remarked on her beautiful skin.

Where is Buderium?
How did she reply to your son's remark? So sweet to have that memory of her...
You were very fortunate to have met her!

14 years ago - it's unbelieveable. I was living at home with my Mum and she was catching an overnight bus to the airport for a holiday, so I was up late watching TV and heard the whole tragic accident unfold until i was so tired and went to bed at 5am. But I couldn't sleep and my mate phoned up at 7am saying Diana had had an accident and I told him she had died so he came over in a complete state and we watched the tv all day long in tears and drinking coffee. I called my mum and she said she heard the news just as she got to the airport and was just walking around in a daze waiting for her flight.
I will never forget those dreadful days that followed and will never forget Diana, our most beautiful princess.

I remember it so well. I was in Barcelona, Spain and I really don't speak spanish. I saw the newspaper photos, Diana, Dodi and some damaged Mercedes, but honestly, I really thought that Diana and Dodi got engaged, I never made the connection to the carwreck. Until I called my mother, she said; "Diana is dead!"and I said: "I don't know no Diana.". She :"The Princess.", me: "*choke*".

I ended the call and ran to find an english newspaper, there it was. I was so sad. My flight home was when the funeral was held, I did not see anything till next day, when I saw the coffin with the letter from Harry. Mommy - that was when I really had to sit down and cry a bit.

How could I not remember this sad day.
It was in the middle of the night I woke up the exact time the accident happened and the next morning I heard it on the radio.
I was telling my boyfriend they should stop making jokes about her and he was saying "No, it's the news".
I was shocked and turned on the tv immediately.
Breakfast was over for me :sad:

To my generation (I'm 34) royalist or not, her death was as defining as Kennedy's was to my parents generation. I remember exactely were I was when I heard the news. The most surreal part of that period, was at her funeral, when the Queen Mother drove to the Abbey. I remeber thinking, that there is something wrong with a 96 yo attending a funeral for a woman of 36.

That was another surreal and eerie part of the whole thing for me.

Yes, I'm the same way. We're of the generation who "knew" Diana from when she first appeared on the world scene in 1980. She crammed so much living into those next 17 years!

To my generation (I'm 34) royalist or not, her death was as defining as Kennedy's was to my parents generation. I remember exactely were I was when I heard the news.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 7 years... was the afternoon in Colombia, my brother and me were with the playstation..when my mother (she was in living room) in the other Tv said: Oh! My godness! this is not possible. I stop the game and put the TV... in all the news was the Diana image! I ran with my mom at living room and She put the BBC channel... like my brother and me don't spoke English my mom traduced for our!
I remember that I could not believe this... was like nightmare! My mom adored Princess Diana, she always talked me about her at my 7 years old I loved Diana too!

I remember the funeral! all my family watched for T.V. and cried so much... We were so sad! And the image of the letter that say "Mommy" broke my heart! Always I'll have this image in my mind!

I remember hearing the news and watching it announced on TV. I was sad news, must cannot recall being shocked. The day of the funeral I was embarressed more than anything else, all those people on the sidelines crying and moaning and calling out her name, and all this over someone they never really knew. Unlikely they would act the same at their own family funerals. Honestly it reminded me of the crazed fans at Elvis's funeral. All very undignified. JMO of course.

I wasn't truly shocked, either; but I was a bit sad and indeed shed a couple of tears for what "could have been" and for the heartache of her family. However, I didn't feel the overwhelming emotions that others experienced.

I remember hearing the news and watching it announced on TV. I was sad news, must cannot recall being shocked.

I feel the same, Mermaid. But as you said; she crammed a lot of life in to her 36 years. I just think it is a horrible way to die. I hope she didn't feel to much pain.

Forever I'll miss her!!

Attachments

• Sin título-1.jpg
    Sin título-1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 202
I'm so glad that you are marking the anniversary on here, I kinf of get the feeling that a lot of people have blanked it now, but every year near August 31st I remember. I was 14, on holiday in Spain and my mums alarm clock broke and stopped at 4am which we later discovered was when Diana officially passed away. . .Such a sad day but the time for sadness has passed, we should celebrate her life now and how much she was able to achieve in 36 short years, I'm sure her boys wouldn't want us all sad. So let us raise a cyber glass in the air, to Diana Spencer, taken from us far too early, we shall never forget you, I hope you are resting in peace, Amen x x x

Agreed. In addition to the pain and fear, Diana died among strangers. The only person she knew on the scene was Trevor Rees-Jones, and he was in no condition to help her.:sad:

I just think it is a horrible way to die. I hope she didn't feel to much pain.

Agreed. In addition to the pain and fear, Diana died among strangers. The only person she knew on the scene was Trevor Rees-Jones, and he was in no condition to help her.:sad:

:sad::sad::sad::sad::ermm:I try to not think in this!! just thinking.. my heart is crying!:sad:

So let us raise a cyber glass in the air, to Diana Spencer, taken from us far too early, we shall never forget you, I hope you are resting in peace, Amen x x x

Yes, this night I do it this for the memory of Diana! and say a prayer for she and her family!

2r3axi8.jpg

Attachments

• candle in the wind.jpg
    candle in the wind.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I'm so glad that you are marking the anniversary on here, I kinf of get the feeling that a lot of people have blanked it now, but every year near August 31st I remember. I was 14, on holiday in Spain and my mums alarm clock broke and stopped at 4am which we later discovered was when Diana officially passed away. . .Such a sad day but the time for sadness has passed, we should celebrate her life now and how much she was able to achieve in 36 short years, I'm sure her boys wouldn't want us all sad. So let us raise a cyber glass in the air, to Diana Spencer, taken from us far too early, we shall never forget you, I hope you are resting in peace, Amen x x x

Agreed I believe the Princess would want people to remember and learn from her life, and what a memorable life she lived.:)

I was 7 years old when I heard the news. It was hard for me to comprehend her death I was 7 after all. I remember thinking how could a young energetic woman who was having fun on a boat the week before, could all of a sudden be in a box, a week later. Sadly its life.

Last edited:
I feel the same, Mermaid. But as you said; she crammed a lot of life in to her 36 years. I just think it is a horrible way to die. I hope she didn't feel to much pain.
Yes she did cram a lot of living in her 36 years of life, and touched millions of lives as well.
I doubt she felt much pain, she fell unconscious shortly after the crash, and never regained consciousness again. I would not like to die in a car crash either!

i remember how i heard, i went to see the labor day fireworks with my boyfriend later to be husband. he didnt want to go but i made him. when we got home we went straight to bed. i couldnt sleep well so i woke up very early in the morning and turned on tv. all that was on was news. so i watched ABC, they kept talking about diana and dying but it took about 30 minutes to find out she was in a car wreck. i thought maybe terrorist or suicide. i was sick to my stomach. i didnt leave tv for the week. i felt really bad because i didnt even know she was in a car wreck since i went home and went to bed. if i didnt insist on going to the fireworks i would have known about the car wreck and i would have stayed up and kept a vigil. i cried at her funeral. i have her wedding and funeral on VHS tapes neither to be openned.

reading all of the above post, i started to cry again. i really miss her and i never met her.

I was sixteen at the time, and had a friend visiting for a few days. We were outside, on the swinging bench, just talking and laughing, and being teenagers. My mother called us in several times (with a threat of locking us out if we didn't come into the house :)), and when we finally did, she told us that Diana was in a car accident, but was receiving medical attention and not hurt too badly. My friend and I went to my room, feeling shocked (the sick thing is, as I write this, I'm seeing it all rather clearly), and our cheerfulness from earlier was subdued, to say the least. Diana was someone we heard so much about, and it felt foreign to hear something so drastic. We went to sleep, and heard nothing about this until the next morning.

This part will be in my memory for the rest of my life (just like the day World Trade Center was attacked and fell). It was a sunny and pleasant morning, and my mother came into our room, and just stood there, with the laundry basket on the floor. I said something about not coming downstairs during the night, but she didn't react. Her next words had my friend and I stunned. 'Girls, Princess Diana died'. She said it with sorrow I've never heard before or since (and my mother is a very emotional individual mind you). I think we were silent for a couple of minutes, just taking it all in, but my first thoughts and words were 'Poor William and Harry'. I wasn't thinking about a great humanitarian who has passed on, I was thinking of a mother, who left behind two distraught boys. The whole day went by in a daze, spent looking through various newspapers and watching the news.

What I remember about the week leading up to the funeral is the sea of flowers by Buckingham and Kensington Palaces, and of course William accepting flowers from a mourner, and saying 'thank you'. He grew up in literally days. Watching him discreetly wipe a tear from his eye as he looked at the flowers and messages broke my heart just a little. I thought he had so much strength (still does of course). Harry's card with 'Mummy' written in a child's hand, the cries of people in the crowd, the boys walking behind the coffin of their beloved mother, and Elton John's tribute were poignant and touching. As a sixteen-year-old, I felt that it was all done so well and so fitting a person who was beloved by so many.

Now, when I'm older, and see things a little differently, I wish that the week leading up to the funeral and the funeral itself was more low key. This was the time to let the family (especially her sons) grieve and come to terms (since you never fully accept this type of loss) with what happened, and in a way, the public (myself included) intruded on that time, and that wasn't right. No one should have to grieve before millions of people, and that's what these boys were kind of forced to do. I think a a better tribute would have been something on a smaller scale, but that's just my personal opinion.

She will be remembered for many years. I hope she found the peace she couldn't obtain in her life for one reason or another. Memory Eternal.

I was sixteen at the time, and had a friend visiting for a few days. We were outside, on the swinging bench, just talking and laughing, and being teenagers. My mother called us in several times (with a threat of locking us out if we didn't come into the house :)), and when we finally did, she told us that Diana was in a car accident, but was receiving medical attention and not hurt too badly. My friend and I went to my room, feeling shocked (the sick thing is, as I write this, I'm seeing it all rather clearly), and our cheerfulness from earlier was subdued, to say the least. Diana was someone we heard so much about, and it felt foreign to hear something so drastic. We went to sleep, and heard nothing about this until the next morning.

This part will be in my memory for the rest of my life (just like the day World Trade Center was attacked and fell). It was a sunny and pleasant morning, and my mother came into our room, and just stood there, with the laundry basket on the floor. I said something about not coming downstairs during the night, but she didn't react. Her next words had my friend and I stunned. 'Girls, Princess Diana died'. She said it with sorrow I've never heard before or since (and my mother is a very emotional individual mind you). I think we were silent for a couple of minutes, just taking it all in, but my first thoughts and words were 'Poor William and Harry'. I wasn't thinking about a great humanitarian who has passed on, I was thinking of a mother, who left behind two distraught boys. The whole day went by in a daze, spent looking through various newspapers and watching the news.

What I remember about the week leading up to the funeral is the sea of flowers by Buckingham and Kensington Palaces, and of course William accepting flowers from a mourner, and saying 'thank you'. He grew up in literally days. Watching him discreetly wipe a tear from his eye as he looked at the flowers and messages broke my heart just a little. I thought he had so much strength (still does of course). Harry's card with 'Mummy' written in a child's hand, the cries of people in the crowd, the boys walking behind the coffin of their beloved mother, and Elton John's tribute were poignant and touching. As a sixteen-year-old, I felt that it was all done so well and so fitting a person who was beloved by so many.

Now, when I'm older, and see things a little differently, I wish that the week leading up to the funeral and the funeral itself was more low key. This was the time to let the family (especially her sons) grieve and come to terms (since you never fully accept this type of loss) with what happened, and in a way, the public (myself included) intruded on that time, and that wasn't right. No one should have to grieve before millions of people, and that's what these boys were kind of forced to do. I think a a better tribute would have been something on a smaller scale, but that's just my personal opinion.

She will be remembered for many years. I hope she found the peace she couldn't obtain in her life for one reason or another. Memory Eternal.

I believe it was around this time (North American time) that her passing was announced. I woke up around 12am. I remember NY1 news reporting on her being returned back to Britain later on that day.

I believe it was around this time (North American time) that her passing was announced. I woke up around 12am. I remember NY1 news reporting on her being returned back to Britain later on that day.

I think we heard about the accident itself around eleven in the evening or so. It was definitely before midnight.

I'll be lighting a candle at midnight in her memory ... like I do every year. I'll never forget that day ... or her.

I was at my cousin's house in Peterborugh, Ontario that night. We were spending a couple of days there before I moved into a house I was sharing w/two friends for my second year of College in a neighbouring town. I was given the couch in the Living Room and was watching TV when I heard the news of the accident during the 10pm tease for the CTV National News.

That's when I started looking for CNN and then had a very long night. It's about now in North America the news of her death broke. How on earth I didn't wake up anyone at my Cousin's that night is beyond me, as I was downright sobbing.

She will never be forgotten and her legacy is seen everytime those precious boys of hers are out and about.

May her Memory forever shine on. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom