Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nor do I. And when I think about it, I don't feel sad actually. Not that I'm heartless but I find it better to think of the good memories you have from her or some anecdotes. The one that always made me laugh is the story of Sarah and Diana going into a limo parked in the garage and Diana impersonating the chauffeur and Sarah imitating the Queen Mother:D. That's the stuff I like to remember of when I think of Diana.

I always remember her on special days..like her birthday, 31st august, her childrens birthday's etc but dont do anything special.

Her death and Dodi's death are still like a hard kick in the gut. Usually the 31st of August here in the USA is a holiday (Labor Day - end of summer) but ever since 1997, it is a gruelling , sad, somber day. I still cry.

There is a part of my heart that died there in the Alma tunnel.

I don't do anything special really, but I've been feeling really depressed today I know it's not "time" yet but it just really hurts to think today was her last day, sometimes I wish someone could have stopped her, I know I sound soo cheesy cause I mean I don't know her , I never met her I barely remember her but after learning so much about her this day really gets to me.

If I hadn't read this board I wouldn't have even realised that it was the anniversary. The date has no meaning for me at all. She has been dead for 11 years and I never met her so she was just a blip on the radar who had no meaning in my life or what I did or thought.

I can't understand why people would be still upset or anything, except for her family and really close friends, this long after a stranger died.

I would hate to think what you people would be like on the anniversary of a close family member - in our family we might get together this year for my mother's second anniversary and have dinner but I doubt it.

I am not saying you shouldn't be doing anything just that I find it strange.

I live close to the Pacific Ocean in the USA, so I take balloons to the sea and let them float upward to the sky until they are out of view. Last year it was ten, this year eleven. I also have a friend in the London area who places flowers and a card for me at KP. The day is always a bit somber for me as I wonder what Diana would have been doing, would she have had more children, who would she have married, what charities would she be involved in.......Eleven years and it seems like yesterday. Sad, very sad.

I have to say that I don't think of Diana at this time, but of her sons. My heart goes out to them. :flowers:

I still remember from the memorial service last year, Prince Harry joyously injecting the statement from both he and William about their mother when it was supposed to be a "reading". William looking down, choking back tears....

Oh, my heart aches for them every anniversary.

I have found/seen nothing on the UK news even mentioning the 11th anniversary. Perhaps at last, the boys are able to remember their mother in private.

One small section -

Tributes have been paid to Diana, Princess of Wales, on the 11th anniversary of her death.
b

Fans of the Princess made their annual pilgrimage to her former home, Kensington Palace, to leave flowers and tie pictures and messages to the iron gates

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080831/tuk-diana-remembered-on-anniversary-dba1618.html

Personally, her death is the LAST thing that I want to remember about her.

Goodness--it all seems a bit morose, doesn't it? Remembering her death with such lingering sadness and sentiment is almost morbid. I think it is best to remember her life and celebrate it. That's what death is, isn't it? Yes, its the end, but it's also a celebration of a person's life. Personally, while not the biggest fan of Diana, the image of her that I can most relate to her that makes me smile is that of her running up to her boys and hugging them after they had been apart (she's in this red and black checked suit) and you can really see the love and enthusiasm she brought to motherhood. I'm sure that is how her children remember her as well.

Goodness--it all seems a bit morose, doesn't it? Remembering her death with such lingering sadness and sentiment is almost morbid. I think it is best to remember her life and celebrate it. That's what death is, isn't it? Yes, its the end, but it's also a celebration of a person's life. Personally, while not the biggest fan of Diana, the image of her that I can most relate to her that makes me smile is that of her running up to her boys and hugging them after they had been apart (she's in this red and black checked suit) and you can really see the love and enthusiasm she brought to motherhood. I'm sure that is how her children remember her as well.

I too remember that footage.

Remembering her death is like remembering the saddest part of the story. I think it should be the day you recall the good stuff, whatever you liked about her. Would you prefer remembering the paparazzi pictures took after the car crash or the footage jcbcode99 mentioned? My choice is made.

How right on you are jcbcode99, today really isn't a sad day, it's a day of remembering the life of this woman and not her death. My favorite memory of the Princess is when she was in the mother running race back in 89 or 90. I will always remember the image of Diana running to the finish line with the wind blowing through her hair and this big smile on her face.
My second favorite image was when she walked in the landmine field in Angola the trip was simply amazing.

I looked through some early ROYALTY mags that a friend of mine recently sold me. Those were the days, when she was Lady Diana and then a very young wife and mother. I enjoyed remembering those times today.

Finally! I found a youtube link that shows the footage of Diana running to meet the boys. YouTube - Beautiful Lady Diana

I am still looking for a photo of the mother's race--that was such a great picture of her. Don't get me wrong--I love all the pictures of her in the gowns and the jewels but even with the world at her feet and priceless jewels of the incomparable Queen Mary upon her head and neck she looked her happiest with her boys. That's the Diana I miss-the mother. I can sit back and criticize her role as the PRincess of Wales, the dissolution of her marriage, engage in the ever raging Camilla/Diana war--but I cannot criticize her as a mother. She was a fantastic mother and those are the pics I love of her. Her sons don't miss the woman in the jewels--they miss the mother who used to give them nose kisses.

Now that I'm much more calm(I was really upset last night I think it really hit me how long it's been that's why) I have to say some of my fave Diana footage was her and the boys at Thrope Park and she was laughing her head off, I just loved it.

Awesome work, TheTruth! I looked and looked and looked. I think those photos completely capture her exuberance for motherhood. It's a timeless image. Like I said, I love seeing the outfits and the jewels but this is the Diana that make so many love her.

16 photos at the german magazine Bunte "Her way to the glamour-Queen"
Bunte

I was very disappointed in myself. I remember to pray for her at church that morning and then I got busy and forgot, what with it being Labor Day the next day. I remembered right around midnight but I didn't light the candle because I was afraid I'd fall asleep and burn the house down.

Well that'd be too bad to kill yourself by burning in your house for wanting to remember someone who is already dead. :D

Btw here's the video you were looking for jcbcode99

http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/SearchDetails.aspx?searchText=princess+diana&type=Simple&page=10&itemId=4c76ce0c-f10b-4ec1-9094-3afac977a1c1

I finally found the video of her and the boys at Thorpe Park..god I loved her smile Btw, I'm a complete dumb head and spelled the park's name incorrectly on my original post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QJ7VeHY6uo

http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Cus...0&itemId=4c76ce0c-f10b-4ec1-9094-3afac977a1c1

I usually light a candle the night she died.This year I have been in the Ritz hotel of Paris visiting it and, I was all the time, thinking of Diana and trying to imagine Diana in the hotel.It is very sad.I admire her.She was a marvellous person.:flowers:

Princess Diana's Death, 14 Years On: How Well We Remember

Princess Diana's Death, 14 Years On

TOMORROW IS THE ANIVERSARY OF THE MOST SADNESS DAY!:sad:.. BUT AFTER HER DEATH DIANA IS IN OUR HEARTS LIKE SHE WANTED LIKE THE QUEEN OF HEARTS...NO OTHER PRINCESS AROUND THE WORLD IS MOST FAMOUS AND LOVELY LIKE DIANA... MANY YEARS WAS HAPPEN AFTER TRAGICAL DAY! BUT ONE IS THE TRUE...DIANA IS A LEGEND AND ALL THE WORLD REMEMBERED SHE LIKE PEOPLE'S PRINCESS!

317211_10150278925231375_667561374_7963633_8250474_n.jpg

Diana is still the People's Princess 14-years after her death - Online News # 57560

Princess Diana is 'still Britain's most favourite royal'

Diana is still the People's Princess 14-years after her death - Yahoo!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember very well this day, as if it was yesterday.
I coul not believe it. And of course how we all cried at her funeral, especially these two boys walking alone behind the cuffin. And this word "mum" at the envelop..
I also have many thoughts for her, waching William's wedding. How proud she should have been for her two babies, who are now two wonderful men.

RIP Diana

I was nearing 8 when she died.
My mom found out at church, came home and told me, I cried and cried...
Looking back at the funeral now, the one thing that gets me sobbing more than any other is Harry's card on top of the coffin.
And I thought the music at the service was very special, perfect.
Nata, I love your graphic! Especially the pic of her in the long black dress in her drawing room!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom