The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 PM

The 25th Wedding Aniversery

Hello everybody!Warm and blessed greetings to you all.I was wondering if anybody knows if there will be some sort of commemoration by the Royal Family and the British Realm as whole in memory of the magnificent Royal Wedding of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales?

Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria cristina
Hello everybody!Warm and blessed greetings to you all.I was wondering if anybody knows if there will be some sort of commemoration by the Royal Family and the British Realm as whole in memory of the magnificent Royal Wedding of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales?
I am very sure there would be no commemoration by the British Royal Family in particular for the 25th wedding anniversary between HRH Prince Charles of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales as she had passed away and they are officially and legally divorced.Moreover,HRH Prince Charles has remarried to Camilla Parker Bowles,the Duchess of Cornwall recently. {insults deleted - Elspeth}

Old 07-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Aristocracy

There will be no public commemoration I am sure because the marriage was not a success. If Diana had died while she and Charles were happily married then I think there would be some kind of commemoration.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:13 AM
Nobility

{Response to deleted material removed - Elspeth}

The wedding itself is being re-broadcast in the United States, Maria Cristina-on the WE channel, scheduled for 3 showings on July 29, 30, and 31. I doubt Britain is planning a public commemoration, but I am sure there will be many who will remember it privately.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Hi maria cristine, it would be very unusual to celebrate a marriage that ended so disasterously. Within 6/7 years they were quietly (IMO) living separate lives, that changed when Diana made all her perceived problems public. They finally divorced 15 years after the wedding, so there is no 25 years of marriage to celebrate.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Do you know of anyone who celebrates the anniversary of a failed marriage? I don't so I would be highly surprised if anyone wishes to celebrate or commemorate such a disaster as that marriage turned out to be.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

I've removed all the off-topic posts about Diana versus the Royal Family and whose fault everything was. Anyone wishing to rehash all that stuff yet again should find an existing thread to add to or start their own thread. This thread is to commemorate Diana on the anniversaries of important events in her life, and that's how it's going to stay.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 07-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I think that the US media is going to have some sort of special on TV I just don't know if it'll be tonight or later this week. Does anyone in the US know?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Commoner

TV Special Commemorates 25th Anniversary of Wedding

This TV special has aired several times over the weekend. It is on the WE Channel and is called "You Had to Be there - The Royal Wedding" - I will watch it tonight at 7 p.m. EST I'll post how good it was - the previews looked interesting. I'm curious to see what they'll show and who they will interview.
It deserves to be remembered with a happy and nostaligic approach even though it didn't end "happily ever after." We can remember the wonderful pageantry and take a trip back in time when we believed that they would live happily ever after. I look forward to sharing this special memory with my 12 year old daughter and tell her how we were up at 5:30 a.m. to watch the momentus occasion!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRoyal
This TV special has aired several times over the weekend. It is on the WE Channel and is called "You Had to Be there - The Royal Wedding" - I will watch it tonight at 7 p.m. EST I'll post how good it was - the previews looked interesting. I'm curious to see what they'll show and who they will interview.
It deserves to be remembered with a happy and nostaligic approach even though it didn't end "happily ever after." We can remember the wonderful pageantry and take a trip back in time when we believed that they would live happily ever after. I look forward to sharing this special memory with my 12 year old daughter and tell her how we were up at 5:30 a.m. to watch the momentus occasion!
Yes, and for those interested, the WE Channel will be broadcasting it through August 9th. :) I watched it last night, and found it quite good.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Commoner

WE Channel - 25th Anniversary Special of the Royal Wedding

I just finished watching the special and found it to be a nicely done presentation. It had various perspectives from David Emmanuel co-dress designer, Diana's make-up artist, and various other Britons that had staked out various places to be a part of the grand celebration.

It was nice to revisit such a beautiful day and all the happiness that we held for Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

Saturday morning, the CBS Saturday Early Show had a clip commemorating the anniversary and a photographer from the Sun spoke well of Diana's legacy. It, too, was nicely done. This was a special time in history that we should never forget. I will always be happy that I was a part of that day (from the U.S.). I will always hold her memory and legacy close to my heart. As her brother stated, Princess Diana was unique. I always wished the best for her and will forever hold her in high regard.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:52 PM

Next year will be the worst. 10 years will be played on life made generally difficult for them both.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Gentry

Tell me about it Beatrixfan.I think they are going to get a lot of slack next year due to that.Do you think PC will do anything formally to mark the anniversary of her death?I personally don't think he should or has to.His life is now with Camilla.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM

I don't feel he should and it would only be awkward for both Charles and Camilla. If William and Harry go to a memorial service as I'm sure they will then that's their affair but personally, I would see a big national commemoration as unnessecary and insulting.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Gentry

I really hope they do not have a kind of massive national commemoration next year.Imagine how it would make Charles and Camilla feel?It would just bring back all of the negative remarks and ill feelings towards PC and camilla when the public are finally accepting them.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Diana deserves a commemoration service and I do think she will have place not only in the British history (yes, at least as King's mother) but also in Charles's life. She was his first wife and an important part of his life.
Charles is loads better with Camilla and they are a great couple (one of my favourite couple, actually) but I don't think Diana is crossed out from their lifes, nor do I think think they (Charles, William, Harry) want that.
I would be highly disappointed though if Camilla is not present at the commemoration service along with Prince Charles, if any other member of the RF is there. Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall and the Princess of Wales. She will not be mother of the King but she will be a Queen herself, so I think her presence is necessary.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Why on earth does she deserve a commemoration service? What did she actually do to deserve one? What did she leave us that makes her worthy of constant commemoration? If there was such an event, it would only open up old wounds and embarrass the Queen, Charles and Camilla. That woman has caused enough problems. People are finally moving on, now lets just move on and forget about it all. {Derogatory remark deleted - Elspeth}
Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I am just voicing my private opinion and of course, you can disagree.
I think Diana deserves a commemoration because she was the Princess of Wales, who died 10 years ago (annuversary). I didn't think any kind of commemoration was necessary. I am not saying a big, national commemoration is the option but I do think a little private one will be ok.
Yes, Diana caused a lot of trouble for the BRF and thanks God, people (most of them) are actually moving on. And still I think that a little family remeberance service would be a nice thing to do (even if it would mean to see Earl of Spencer again).
And I do think we are getting slightly off-topic, since it's British Royal Family current events.
Everyone can have their opinion, so will will just have to wait till 2007. I must add that I will support any decision of the BRF concerning the issue.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayz64
To be honest i don't really think Charles would have thought too much about what would have been his anniversary.He has Camilla now.
In fact, did he think about it at all? It has been 9 years since the divorce. Only the media brings it up for us to discuss and remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Next year will be the worst. 10 years will be played on life made generally difficult for them both.
I think the boys will be just fine. I think they have adjusted quite well and they may toast to her life instead of her death. I think it will be the press who will start any controversies.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
In fact, did he think about it at all? It has been 9 years since the divorce. Only the media brings it up for us to discuss and remember.
I can't imagine how anyone would expect an official statement from Clarence House. Something to the effect: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the public, the Prince of Wales would like everyone to take a moment to remember his first wife, whom he divorced one year prior to her untimely death."??

Tags
anniversary, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana