Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not this non Brit poster. I admire the PoW and feel great sympathy and respect for him.

I don't 100% approve of his behavior during the Wales marriage and some of his actions since, but I think he has been a fantastic single father to the boys and he deserves a happy life now.

yes I did not say all non British, but I have found that it seems to be more likely to be non British, usually American people on forums, who tend to dislike charles.

Anyone who actually want the man to die need to check into a hospital.

Wh
Whoever saying this same thing now, probably are the ones that want to see William as King or just not into Charles period.

I am sure there were some crazy people who did send death threats, at the time of the Funeral. There are always going to be some people who hate on well known figures and who threaten them, probaby with no serious intent, - though some of them MAY Be insane enough to act on their threats. however in today's climate many years later -even if one dislikes Charles or wants William to succeed, I find it hard to imagine anyone wishing him dead. I have seen people on a forum speculating about when he migiht die or if he would outlive Camilla or vice versa, and I found this very unpleasant, but these people would deny that they were wishing for his death...
I'd really say very few people openly wish for someone's death....

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I did not say all non British, but I have found that it seems to be more likely to be non British, usually American people on forums, who tend to dislike charles.

Those are the folks who read the Andrew Morton book and take that version of events as gospel, probably!:lol:;)

Possibly..But it does seem to be more likey to be Americans who are disliking of Charles or dont like the idea of his being King or having been "lucky" enough to get to marry Camilla... etc.
Whereas After a while, ( tho' Charles was very unpopular in the UK for a while), as time passed mostly English people slipped back to their usual "not thinking about Charles or the RF much". Of course like all public figures some like him a lot, others dislike him, probalby some few hate him.. but mostly people are indifferent...
But soeme americans also seem to think that because there are occasionally negative stories abot him or criticism in the papers, that because of that, the British public really hates him and he's not going to make it as King.. But all Royals like All public figures get criticism and negative stories..

As an American, I can only present my own point of view but if I was totally honest, I would have to say that I've always admired Charles far more than I ever did Diana. The more I learn about the man, the more I realize that this is a very deep thinking person that genuinely stands behind his principles and cares about the welfare of the people around him and has a sense of duty inherited from his mother.

Diana was OK but never registered as something spectacular with me. She did do a lot of good, took on issues that weren't mainstream at the time, was quite controversial and was a wonderful mother to her sons and the world definitely was a bit dimmer when she died.

Charles is a good and a decent man, but he can be very stupid and selfish. So could Diana, but I think she wasn't all that clever and she did have psychological problems that made her vulnerable and when under stress, she acted wildly. And her marriage and public life did put her under constant stress. I wonder if she'd have been more "OK and normal" if she'd married a guy with a bit of money, a kind heart and who could offer her a normal aristocratic life, with low stress.
Mostly, she does not seem to have done anything very wild when she was a girl, apart form smacking her father over his marriage to Raine. She seemed normal and OK in her Sloane days...

I am an American and can honest say that absolutely no one I know ever wished Charles dead but then again they never thought that Diana was a saint. Sure she did nice works and was very attractive, but should never be thought of as superior. To be truthful, to the average American, Diana is dead, shame but true. Charles is still alive and although quite a self centered chap, has done wonderful things for the youth of his country. He doesn't brag about it, but we all know that over a thousand young people have excelled in jobs [instead of getting into trouble on the streets] due to his Trust.

But to say Americans don't want Charles to be king, I find that false as most just don't care. We admire Queen Elizabeth II for her service and dedication to her country and will certainly morn her passing. But, whoever comes next won't affect us as really what actual legal power do they have. We are more interested in who the PM is in reference to world stability. Most Americans are not in favor of Royals and do not care to read or know about them, other than the occasional showy wedding, which we women love.

To put it plainly, who will be England's next king is none of our business and those that wish anyone dead because he is next in line as king really should be a in mental institution under doctor's care

I am an American and can honest say that absolutely no one I know ever wished Charles dead but then again they never thought that Diana was a saint. S

But to say Americans don't want Charles to be king, I find that false as most just don't care.

Te

We arent talking about the Average American. Most of them have no interest or knowledge of the British nation, their politics or ther Royal family. No reason why they should. But of the Americans who DO take an interest, many are IMO more likely to sympathise with Diana over Charles and to see her as virtually a saint.. and to be highly crtitical of Charles. Some of them do seem to dislike the idea that Charles is still around remarried and going to be king one day.. Similarly they often (Of course we are talking about a tiny minority here of the American nation), tend to suggest that William shoudl be king, or Harry, as Harry seems to be seen as more like Diana than William...

We arent talking about the Average American. Most of them have no interest or knowledge of the British nation, their politics or ther Royal family. No reason why they should. But of the Americans who DO take an interest, many are IMO more likely to sympathise with Diana over Charles and to see her as virtually a saint.. and to be highly crtitical of Charles. Some of them do seem to dislike the idea that Charles is still around remarried and going to be king one day.. Similarly they often (Of course we are talking about a tiny minority here of the American nation), tend to suggest that William shoudl be king, or Harry, as Harry seems to be seen as more like Diana than William...

Actually, I disagree. Americans that do take an interest are more apt to go beyond the tabloid stories and the media hype of "saint" Diana and from various reputable sources and forums such as this one, get a more clear and concise background into both Charles and Diana and realize that when it came to the marriage, both were at fault and both caused the downfall of the marriage overall.

Just an odd question here. Which Americans are you basing your opinion on? Was there a poll? An American based media article? Or are you pulling this opinion out of a hat? Just curious.

I know so few Americans who have any interest in the BRF ..not sure there'd be enough for a poll! Most of them I know are aware of Diana and her boys (to include Kate and the children), the Queen and Charles..but the rest of the RF would be largely unknown.

The ones who are more up on who is who etc...are usually into history, geneology or perhaps have a family member from the U.K.

That's just my experience.

LaRae

I don't know anyone personally who's interested in the British royal family.

I don't know anyone personally who's interested in the British royal family.

Other than here at TRF, I have one friend that is interested in royalty and she's more interested in the Danish royal family but does follow the British royal family. Other than her, I know of absolutely no one else that has any kind of an interest at all.

So, Americans either don't really care or they're all here on TRF. Yeps... that sounds about right. :D

Other than here at TRF, I have one friend that is interested in royalty and she's more interested in the Danish royal family but does follow the British royal family. Other than her, I know of absolutely no one else that has any kind of an interest at all.

So, Americans either don't really care or they're all here on TRF. Yeps... that sounds about right. :D

The thing is some Americans pretend they're not interested in the BRF, but when The Queen used to make State Visits to America or if there's a major Royal event (funeral or wedding) in the UK, there's usually a very healthy welcome and a big American viewing.

Diana was a beloved public figure around the world.

The thing is some Americans pretend they're not interested in the BRF, but when The Queen used to make State Visits to America or if there's a major Royal event (funeral or wedding) in the UK, there's usually a very healthy welcome and a big American viewing.

Of course, and when the Queen did make her State visits to USA, we were given free passes to attend if we could for different events from our clubs or state governments. Same invitations went out when Dutch and Spanish Royals were here. Lovely outings with best dress [depending if evening or afternoon walk-about] but we did for many people, not just Royals. Part of the show. Certainly didn't mean that we adored the guest. Part of jobs or demands of organizations. I remember studying facts on a guest the weeks before so I would know a few truths if required in conversation. Remember PR is a great thing in the media. It can make or break anyone when and if it wants to. That is just life.

The queen always interests us. But the other royals, even Will and Kate are not exciting for people here. There will be those to come out to see them when in Canada but many will be old or because they want to see a celebrity. For many of the people born in the last thirty years, royals are just celebrities. I remember going to work the day of the royal wedding and only a few people knew there had been one and no one had woken in to watch. I asked my teenage niece who is about the age I was when i got interested who Kate was she might ask me if she was in Disney and remind me she hasn't watched those in years.

I admit even when in the uk I was not one to go watch a parade or go see a royal visit. I preferred the historical royal sites.

Last edited:
Actually, I disagree. Americans that do take an interest are more apt to go beyond the tabloid stories and the media hype of "saint" Diana and from various reputable sources and forums such as this one, get a more clear and concise background into both Charles and Diana and realize that when it came to the marriage, both were at fault and both caused the downfall of the marriage overall.

Just an odd question here. Which Americans are you basing your opinion on? Was there a poll? An American based media article? Or are you pulling this opinion out of a hat? Just curious.

Im talking about the forum I used to be on, which problaby mostly had American "active members" (and some other non British).
Not all were pro Diana of course, (of the Americans I mean).
A few didn't like her, some liked her but didn't idolise her.. Some had liked her a lot, but had grown more even handed in how they viewed the marriage.. However, there weren't many british that I know of, on the Forum, at least not active posters.. and by and large, the forum's members who were very much Pro Diana and anti Charles, were dominant.. To the point where people like myself who liked her but didn't idolise her, often left..
And on other places on the internet, where discussions may crop up about the RF, I've noticed the same thng, that its largely Americans who are very much pro Diana.. (to an extreme degree).
And when I see TV programmes about the RF, I can see that a lot of these were rather slanted toward Di and against Charles, and of course Americans are likely to see these as their first impressions of the Charles and Di situation or the RF... And first impressions tend to stick.
So while I'm not saying that All americans are "extremely pro Diana" (most of them aren't at all interested in British affairs and no reason why they should be) I do believe that the most extreme Pro dianaists on the Internet seem to be American.

Of course, and when the Queen did make her State visits to USA, we were given free passes to attend if we could for different events from our clubs or state governments. Same invitations went out when Dutch and Spanish Royals were here. Lovely outings with best dress [depending if evening or afternoon walk-about] but we did for many people, not just Royals. Part of the show. Certainly didn't mean that we adored the guest. Part of jobs or demands of organizations. I remember studying facts on a guest the weeks before so I would know a few truths if required in conversation. Remember PR is a great thing in the media. It can make or break anyone when and if it wants to. That is just life.

Who were given free passes? I think that certainly a fair few Americans are interested n Royalty because it is something they don't have.. just as often Westerns are popular in the UK because - they don't have a Wild West... more so than they were in the US after a certain time.
Of course lots of people are not interested in the slightest, but again from what I've seen, from Friends who visited America at the time of the Will and Kate wedding, a lot of Americans were much more keen ot see it than people in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it really depends on who you talk to. I've been to the US several times, East Coast, West Coast and places in between :lol: and I have to say, as an Australian, the Royal Family didn't come up as a topic of conversation at all on any visit, (though some Americans were surprised that the Union Jack was on the Aussie flag pin that I wore.)

The one exception didn't happen to me but to a friend who was staying at an apartment in LA the month that Diana died. People had got to know her a bit by sight, and I can remember her telling me at the time that about twenty or more different people came up to her in the days after the news came through, saying "Sorry about Princess Diana". (I don't know whether some thought she was British. In fact she was a pretty patriotic Aussie, but they just wanted to express sympathy, I suppose.)

Of course there are Americans who are interested. And a lot who aren't. I don't know offhand how many people there are in the US but its a heck of a lot, so its impossible to generalise about such a huge place. But a lot of British are indifferent as well.. in fact I'd say that lukewarm "IM ok wit them" is the most common way that the British feel..

That is very true. For most, they are just part of the furniture, always been there, probably always will be. I think English people, because the deeds of their Kings and Queens are so woven into the history of the country, a republic isn't really favoured much at all. I wouldn't say that about the Welsh or Northern Irish though, and certainly not the Scots.

Um for the Northern Irish Unionist the queen is a very very important symbol of their union with England. Of course to nationalists she's a divisive figure.
I think that English people In the main, are just not into bothering to change. If the RF/Monarchy works ok, if there aren't scandals, and the members do a bit of work, they are ok with it, even if they are theoretically republicans.
Which is why I think that in the 90s, with all the scandals, there was debate on the RF and a feeling that perhaps it had come to the time of getting rid of it.. but it fizzled out...
I think that the Americans who DO take an interest in the UK and Monarchy often are surprised that the Brits aren't all that interested, that they just accept the Monarchy without thinking about it much.. Some of them get very very worked up about every little story in the tabloids, analyse it to death, whereas Brits just read it and don't take ti seriously...or feel "Oh God not another boring story bout the Royals" and ignore it.

Last edited:
Let's not clog up the thread with off-topic posts please - this thread is about the Anniversaries of Diana's Death, not a debate on which country takes the most interest in the Royal Family. Time to move on.

Having just come in after a night out and looking at the News I left a note for other housemates still out "Paris car crash, Diana injured, Dodi dead".

Not expecting anything worse to happen, I popped across to the local shop on getting up next morning to pick up the Sunday papers for breakfast.
Shop owner "Dreadful accident in Paris last night"
Me "Is there any more news about Diana?"
She, a bit taken back "That poor girl is dead"

Yes, it was like that. We were outside in a relative's garden when our son came to tell us that news on the TV stated that Diana had had an accident in Paris and it was believed she'd suffered broken bones. It seems now that it was only half an hour or so later before the news came that she was dead. A dreadful shock!

I remember my 20year old daughter throwing herself in my arms and we just wept we were devastated.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I had a new kitten who had learned to climb up my leg, and she was trying to do this, when I put on the TV that morning. And saw all the headlines...

I was 20 and on holiday in Missoula, Montana. My family and I just returned to the hotel and I turned on the TV. I remember seeing the mangled Mercedes and thinking that no one must have survived. I didn't know it was Diana until a few minutes in that it was her. It was so surreal hearing Nik Gowing of the BBC later announce that she had passed. Just didn't seem real.

I went to tell my husband, and he said that I sounded very calm, (because I was so shocked I could not quite believe it) and as he knew I was a Diana fan, he was like "Who does she mean? Diana Ross? Why would she wake me to tell me that?" And He thought "She can't mean the Princess, because Diana is young and healthy adn into "keep fit".

When I went to bed, the assumption was that Diana would live but with injuries. When I turned on the radio in the morning, it was just in time to hear the solemn CBC announcer intone the name of the program that had just started, "Death of a Princess." It was a strange day and a strange week. I only wept once, though. It was later in the week and I was driving into town on a grocery run. I just thought, "I've lost my princess". Some tears came then.:sad:

I had just turned 40 and had finally found "the one" only to find he was living a life of lies. Sigh. As I packed to move in a positive direction, the news of her death came over the news. We literally were packing up the moving van. It was a transition in many ways for me, but probably is the reason I blame him more that her. Gosh, her death was an arrow through the heart for many women of that generation. She never played a feminist card, but she did put her energy out there.
I miss her. Always and specially at this time of year. I cannot imagine how the boys dealt with losing this wonderful mother.

:previous:

I was still healing from the effects of a devastating betrayal and break up the previous year. I was asleep when a friend called me and shouted down the telephone " TURN ON THE TV...DODI'S DEAD AND DIANA'S HURT!!"

I had been sort of following the relationship in the tabloids and doubted he was The One but just like everything related to this woman I was willing to wait and see. She was of my generation and I was really rooting for her to get things together.

When the announcement of her death came I was really calm because I just knew the TV newscaster had made an error. I kept thinking how embarrassing it would be for the media when Buckingham Palace and the Brit Embassy corrected this colossal error...the princess was alive and recovering in hospital. Someone will lose their job. Heads will roll.

Then came the confirmation. I turned the TV off and wept.

Diana fascinated me and repulsed me all at once. I had "grown up" with her and was no longer as completely enchanted by her as I'd been when she first came on the scene....there had been too many disturbing revelations.

But I was still totally heartbroken by her loss.

And I've never been truly interested in the House of Windsor ever since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom