20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At one time I admired Diana.
But as I learned more about her, I gradually came to think less of her.

I still feel she was sincere in her charity work and her desire to help others.
But she was such a flawed individual that now I question how much of that was sincere, and how much a wish to bask in public adulation.

A lovely post, mermaid, and very heartfelt. Many Royal watchers at the time thought the same. Gone much too soon.

At one time I admired Diana.
But as I learned more about her, I gradually came to think less of her.

I still feel she was sincere in her charity work and her desire to help others.
But she was such a flawed individual that now I question how much of that was sincere, and how much a wish to bask in public adulation.

Mirabel, our innermost thoughts, desires and motives belong to US. We're all flawed. So it was with Diana. It's not about how sincere she was -that may have changed with the event, day, time of the month- it's about how sincere those on the receiving end felt she was when they met her. I'd bet money that none of them questioned it. I fail to see what's wrong with any of us enjoying positive feedback when we've done a worthwhile job. NOT to need/enjoy it would show an arrogance which would suggest underlying insincerity.

Mirabel, our innermost thoughts, desires and motives belong to US. We're all flawed. So it was with Diana. It's not about how sincere she was -that may have changed with the event, day, time of the month- it's about how sincere those on the receiving end felt she was when they met her. I'd bet money that none of them questioned it. I fail to see what's wrong with any of us enjoying positive feedback when we've done a worthwhile job. NOT to need/enjoy it would show an arrogance which would suggest underlying insincerity.

Well-said! :flowers:

I'll try to think of it that way.

Beautifully stated Tsaritsa. I would like to say Princess Diana was not needy for the people interactions, but rather humble and sincere after she met Sister Teresa. That meeting changed her life.

BTW, The death of St. Teresa right after Diana told me that both woman were related souls and were finished with their work on earth. Diana was buried with Sister's rosary.

What evidence is there that Meeting Mother Teresa changed her?

What evidence is there that Meeting Mother Teresa changed her?

A letter.

'Today, something very profound touched my life. I went to Mother Teresa’s home and found the direction I’ve been searching for all these years.
'The sisters sang to me, a deeply spiritual experience and I soared to such heights in my spirit. The light shone from within these ladies, saints for want of a better word, such love came from their eyes and their touch was full of warmth.

Read more: Mother Teresa letter reveals Princess Diana's spirituality | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Mother Teresa letter reveals Princess Diana's spirituality | Daily Mail Online

Recount from a woman who worked for a shelter both were involved with in NY.

The Unlikely Friendship Between Mother Teresa and Princess Diana | ncregister.com

It is said Paul was the one who put the rosary beeds in with her in the coffin, as well as a photo of the boys.

I don't believe that she "changed". she tended to say rather "gushy" things, and I would say she was just being polite about Mother Teresa. she always was good hearted and kindly towards people less fortunate than herself, and She did get involved with people in her charity wrok. She had an aptitude for communicating with them and she got something "back" from the unhappy and ill and unfornutate that she worked with. There are loads of sotries of her forming a special friendship with a chld she visited in hospital or wth their family...

I thought there was it too much hype over the anniversary. IMO it also seemed William and Harry wanted the public to relive their grief with them again as adults.

As someone who lost my mother at eleven I'd say you feel the loss all your life really, in all sorts of ways, especially at important times like your wedding and the birth of your children.

The public has always had some curiosity about how the princes viewed their mum and how they dealt with the trauma of her death and funeral. It was the 20th anniversary of both and so they spoke out.

Harry has also related how the suppressed grief affected him over the years, as part of the Heads Together campaign. I think William and Harry felt it was cathartic to express those emotions, to give voice to their memories this year of a woman who was so important to both of them, and I believe they're glad they did so.

Last edited:
I agree Curryong but I think it speaks of things to come meaning although they will continue with their charities (which is wonderful) IMO Diana will play a central part in all they do keeping BP and Charles walking on eggshells

They both think about her all the time. They've said so. I think that's natural when you lose a parent. And of course they have continued some charity work in areas that were important to her, Landmines, children with cancer, AIDS etc, which in its way is a tribute to Diana.

However, I don't see why that should keep BP and Charles on eggshells. They have both accompanied their father to WW1 battle site memorials in the past year, have stated in the past that his work in the conservation area has inspired them.
I would think that neither Charles nor their grandmother the Queen would have liked either of the princes to keep their grief about their mother bottled up year after year and never speak of her, never think of her. That would be asking too much, especially after what Harry imparted in the last few months.

I don't think Charles walks on eggshells. I think both he and his advisers have learned to avoid certain hot buttons from a PR standpoint. But I think we all do that in one way or another. We don't talk about subject X when Uncle Harold is around, or we don't mention cousin Josiah around Aunt Maude. The POWales and his team simply avoids speaking about Diana. I think that wise. Not related to eggshells at all.

The 20th anniversary was, what one would call, a major anniversary and I think it would have seemed odd if it had passed by without those that were close to her making it special.

I also like to think that eggshells aren't anywhere near the picture. As the years pass after someone has died, what remains in memories is the good things about a person's lifetime. For this specific anniversary, Buckingham Palace did their own memorial to Diana with a public exhibition of things that belonged to Diana and Charles spent the time in Scotland as to not detract from his ex-wife's memory. Charles wore his wedding ring from his marriage to Diana up until the time he became engaged to Camilla. He also kept photographs of Diana around Highgrove until that time also.

The marriage may not have been a good and successful one but there was a lot of good in that marriage to be remembered. That is what really matters.

I think Diana fans and Charles fans have more animosity still than those that were actually involved.

:previous: I definitely agree with that. Sometimes reading through these threads, it seems to be that the War of the Wales is an ongoing thing happening right here and now.

The blessing though is that with the wealth of knowledge available and being discussed, its so much easier to form a clear and objective view of both Charles and Diana and those that are close to them. Its thinking outside the tabloid box. :D

Yikes eggshells might have been the wrong word to use I’m not trying to take sides. Diana is a sensitive subject Of course it’s natural for William and Harry to celebrate and honor their mum on the anniversary. I just think going forward that whenever they can bring Diana back into focus they will. I’m certainly not trying to offend anybody nor suggest they should suppress their grief.

Stick around and read through some of the Diana threads and other threads pertaining to the Diana era and you'll quickly find out how appropriate the word "eggshells" can get. One thing that has been a standard warning here is to steer clear of starting a C/D/C triangle discussion as it will invariably lead to the thread closing down as it can really get argumentative at times. :D

Both William and Harry are, in and of themselves, Diana's legacy that lives on. We see it in William's smile. We see it in Harry's charisma. They both have continued to keep Diana's work alive and going into the future and actually are reflective of two very loving parents.

Thanks Osipi-I have been reading the threads. YIKES You are so right we can see her legacy in her boys

Yikes eggshells might have been the wrong word to use I’m not trying to take sides. Diana is a sensitive subject Of course it’s natural for William and Harry to celebrate and honor their mum on the anniversary. I just think going forward that whenever they can bring Diana back into focus they will. I’m certainly not trying to offend anybody nor suggest they should suppress their grief.

I think both of them were not comfortable talking about their mom until recently. I think they hadn't dealt with their grief and it was too raw. Now they can talk about her, I'm sure occasionally, when appropriate, they will mention her as those of us who have lost a parent do. But I don't think she will be the focus of everything. William even said the interview and documentary were a one time thing for the 20th anniversary of her death.

I think the media silenced Charles on Diana long ago. It’s almost like if he even wished to share his reflections about his late former wife and mother of his children, the media would’ve tore into him on a relentless level. So he has (personally) stayed quiet for twenty years.

Although, royal biographers, friends, and extended family members have talked.

The Prince of Wales has always been in a difficult position. Which is very unfortunate, because I would’ve loved to have heard from him on this past twentieth anniversary.

It’s so forgotten that he lost someone very close to him and the mum of his kids.

I think Charles deciding to remain silent about his ex-wife is pretty much the most honorable and considerate thing that he could do in her memory. Not because of the media or anything else but because he knows that it will not do her memory any good and he most likely prefers to remember the good times and the blessing of their children in private.

The man is a sensitive one and acted accordingly in my book.

Charles would be absolutely shredded if he had anything to say about Diana, even something nice would be twisted...he is far better off not saying a word.

LaRae

:previous: Right. If he said gracious, kind things about Diana, the accusation would be, "How dare you say nice things now, after you were so horrible to her in life!" The War of the Waleses still rages in some quarters. ;)

Both William and Harry are, in and of themselves, Diana's legacy that lives on. We see it in William's smile. We see it in Harry's charisma. They both have continued to keep Diana's work alive and going into the future and actually are reflective of two very loving parents.
What a lovely description of both boys and their mother's legacy.:flowers:

Right, that’s why stated that the media has pretty much backed Charles into a corner, when it comes to anything about Diana, but he has remained dignified throughout these twenty years.

He fully supports the way William and Harry have carried on her legacy and memory. The media like to paint him as a man who remains threatened by Diana’s memory, but I don’t think that’s the case at all. Unfortunately, people do think this way and I think it’s just wrong.

Oh, so this thread has woken up to life again.

William and Harry's most important job along with other royal family members (with the style and title of HRH and Prince/Princess, except for Beatrice, Eugenie and Prince/Princess Michael) is to support the Queen in her role as Head of State and Head of Nation in the UK and in her role as Head of State in the other 15 Commonwealth realms and in her role as Head of the Commonwealth.

Their other important role (if we can call it that) is to take on charities, but that is also in a way on behalf of the monarch. Why? Because they do it as royal work.

And I will say that they have as much of Charles's legacy in them as they have of Diana's. Yes, he's controversial, and the investigation from the Times regarding the Queen's private secretary made him look like a power hungry spoiled brat who forces his 91-year-old mother and Queen to let go of her staffers, but he's good with people and have done some great things.

But again, the most important legacy to take care of (which is much bigger than that of a controversial and divisive ex royal), is that of their amazing grandmother. And that is exactly what both Charles and William are doing with the support of Harry and other family members.

I hope this make sense, because it does to me. :flowers:

And perhaps this thread can go back to sleep, while the monarchy goes further.

Last edited:
Well, this thread might well go to sleep as the 20th anniversary is over now, and of course the monarchy will go on and William and Harry will continue to work for the Queen and the BRF. They will also honour their mother's legacy by carrying on her charities and causes.

However, the Diana threads have had over 30,000 posts in the 98 threads so I don't think Diana is going to be forgotten at any time in the near future.

:previous: Right. If he said gracious, kind things about Diana, the accusation would be, "How dare you say nice things now, after you were so horrible to her in life!" The War of the Waleses still rages in some quarters. ;)

I don't think he would have wished to. I am sure he still has some feelings for her, but there was a time when I'm sure that he was bitter, and angry, before her death. But I'm sure he has the good sense to realise that ti would be wrong and foolish for him to tlk about her in public.. It would only lead to more controversiy. While I am pleased that Will and Harry wanted to do some talking about Diana this year, because of her anniversariy, I think they did too much.
As I've always said, they don't seem too smart...
they brought up old issues that had died down, they said things that led to a lot of annoying discussion, people attacking Diana, people assuming that by talking about Di they were attacking Charles etc. And the press had a field day with dragging up old stories, and rehashing them...
I wish that it was possible, now 20 years on to have had a nice commemoraition of Diana's life, her charity work and her life with her boys and family, without its being a free for all.. but that didn't happen.. So I for one am glad thtat it is over.

Back
Top Bottom