20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have magazines at the supermarket checkout? Its been years since I've been in a grocery store checkout lane. ...I do have an extensive library of books on Diana. I find her a very interesting person with both negatives and positives to her like all of us. I really enjoy the Diana discussions here at TRF immensely too.

At the library yesterday, I glimpsed the cover of the new issue of People mag.
You guessed it- all about Diana!
I'll probably read it later today (even though I'm one of those who wishes this media saturation would end). Contradictory, I know.

The media's fascination with historical figures never really go away. It just dies down for a while, but comes back for these commemorative years.

William and Harry are making the 20th anniversary count. People just have to overlook the petty stuff. It's just a distraction from what's really important.

I don't think this is the last of it. "The Crown" (which is Netflix's #1 show) plans to do two seasons on Charles and Diana. The creator and writer says Diana will be introduced at the end of season 3 and will be the focus of season 4&5. So if anything, a whole new generation will be introduced to Diana.

Excellent point! I hadn't thought of that!

I've followed Diana since her wedding day, wept at the news of her death, and have watched her sons carry on. I will be watching the Diana specials I have dvr'd with a bowl of popcorn beginning tonight, and I have no shame.
:flowers:

I'm kinda glad that they are showing all these specials about Diana. My mom has always admired her. She never slows down long enough to read/see anything in its entirety, so she just knows the positive side of Diana and remembers her as being a young lady, with a husband who did not love her and had a mistress. Therefore, she dislikes Charles and Hates Camilla.
Over the years I've told her a lot about what I've read here on this forum and all the knowledge that people share.
It's really opened her eyes to the duplicity.
And now that they are showing all these things over again, she is really seeing the other side of Diana the family.
It's fun to see things that are "old news" to me, but very "new" to her. The tv will quickly mention something about Diana, Camilla, Charles, the Queen, ect. and then I expand on it for her if I know. It's fun.
So thank you one and all for helping me look smart!

I'm kinda glad that they are showing all these specials about Diana. My mom has always admired her. She never slows down long enough to read/see anything in its entirety, so she just knows the positive side of Diana and remembers her as being a young lady, with a husband who did not love her and had a mistress. Therefore, she dislikes Charles and Hates Camilla.
Over the years I've told her a lot about what I've read here on this forum and all the knowledge that people share.
And now that they are showing all these things over again, she is really seeing the other side of Diana the family.
It's fun to see things that are "old news" to me, but very "new" to her. The tv will quickly mention something about Diana, Camilla, Charles, the Queen, ect. and then I expand on it for her if I know. It's fun.

Just remember everything that is said on here isn't always true either.

I know what you mean Scarebaby.:previous: However considering that the DM has covered most her wardrobe, jewelry, make up and hairstyles in the past weeks the only articles of clothing left must be her...socks?;)

I can see the headline now.. Diana-She had SOCKS APPEAL!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If anyone is interested, Diana, Seven Days That Shook The World chronicling the seven days after Diana's death and her funeral is on Netflix in the US.

I just finished it and thought it was very well done.

I'm what I've read here on this forum and all the knowledge that people share.
I would advise reading some books. TV shows are usually rather light on information and often IMO quite inaccurate and so are mag and newspapers. ITs true that there are plenty of not very accurate or biased books out there too about the RF but you have a better chance of getting accurate info by reading some serious royal bios..

Although I know that Diana was well loved and admired by millions of people and remembered fondly for what she brought to this world and I'm one of them, I do have to agree with you, wyevale, that this anniversary has been done to the point of over saturation.

September is right around the corner though and this too shall pass. :D
I'm inclined to agree as it seems that it has been done largely with the idea of "drip feeding" old news slgithly re tweaked.
I think that a week or so of programmes would have been nice fi well done but it hasn't been. The boy's programme didn't sound wonderful, and while I apprecate they wanted to honour their mother, it seems as if they have dragged up old problems and given people the chance to say that they are using these programmes to hit out at their father and Camilla.
And while they are re hashing the "Charles' faults" side, the media are alos dragging up Diana's faults and follies...

Prince William and Prince Harry have given their "final word" on their mother Diana, Princess of Wales as her 20th death anniversary approaches.

The royal brothers star in the BBC's new documentary Diana, 7 Days, which is set to air on Sunday night. Filmmaker Henry Singer says this is the first and perhaps last time William and Harry will speak publicly – and in depth – about their mother.
Read more: Princes William and Harry give 'final word' on Princess Diana

HE DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE AND PRINCE HARRY TO VISIT THE WHITE GARDEN AT KENSINGTON PALACE

Wednesday 30th August 2017

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will meet at Kensington Palace with representatives from charities supported by their mother Diana, Princess of Wales. The engagement will allow the Princes to pay tribute to the life and work of their mother the day before the 20th anniversary of her death.

I think this is a pretty fitting thing to do. The White Garden has been planted in memory of Diana and with her sons gathering with the charities that Diana supported in her lifetime, it reinforces the idea that her sons are her legacy that will continue her work into the future.

I've been thinking about Diana every day, Dman, and of course feeling very sad that she was taken years too soon.

This is a little snippet from Sky news about the new documentary in which her sons speak of hearing of her death, the French paps, and their father and grandmother trying to protect them, hiding newspapers etc. at Balmoral.

Harry: Paparazzi chased Princess Diana then photographed her dying

I've been thinking about Diana every day, Dman, and of course feeling very sad that she was taken years too soon.

This is a little snippet from Sky news about the new documentary in which her sons speak of hearing of her death, the French paps, and their father and grandmother trying to protect them, hiding newspapers etc. at Balmoral.

Harry: Paparazzi chased Princess Diana then photographed her dying

Ah-Ha! And there you have it--Harry and William say their father and grandmother were there for them after their mother's death.

Last edited:
Statements that will hopefully put some of the speculation about their relationship with Charles, Elizabeth and Phillip to rest.

That's the only reason why people were getting so upset. They hadn't mentioned their father yet. People should know that those boys love their father very dearly and of course he was there for them. Including The Queen and Prince Philip. The whole family rallied around them.

It still doesn't all add up for me. Charles gets a mention but that doesn't explain why royal commentators said how hurt he is over William and Harry's comments and how it's impacted his popularity.

I don't like conspiracy theories but it appears to be some element of damage control being done.

William and Harry reveal reaction to Princess Diana's death

It still doesn't all add up for me. Charles gets a mention but that doesn't explain why royal commentators said how hurt he is over William and Harry's comments and how it's impacted his popularity.

I don't like conspiracy theories but it appears to be some element of damage control being done.

Exactly - this is too little too late. The damage to Charles has been done and if they had a brain between them these nearly middle-aged men would have realised that impact that they would be having on their father and his reputation and popularity. They simply don't care about him and this is simply damage control done as a reaction to the really negative press Charles has been receiving - no doubt they were ordered to say something positive about their father.

Since, according to Richard Palmer, the interviews for all three (2 documentaries + Newsweek) were done in March, I disagree that the BBC one is damage control.

I think it's more likely that:
  • in the ITV documentary they had control over they feared to antagonize people by mentioning Charles in a Diana hagiography,
  • in the Newsweek article, Harry simply didn't have editorial control -- there's no way to know whether or not he said something about Charles and it wasn't used.

Richard Palmer‏Verified account @Royalreporter 5h5 hours ago
More
For those asking, I'm told all three sets of William and Harry interviews - ITV, BBC, and Newsweek - were done around the same time in March

So if all the royal Households were on board and the content of the interviews was know ahead of time, I don't understand why we had a months worth of articles over had bad it hurt Charles.

Check out the cover of Private EYe Magazine :eek:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH56bm6WAAAY1Pj?format=jpg&name=large

Charles and Camilla have been slammed in the press and opinion polls. Then voila, we get a very positive BBC story.

People read too much into things and throw around accusations for the sake of it.

throw around accusations for the sake of it.

NO.. they do so for 'viewer numbers', print sales AND to sow division/damage reputations for their own purposes...

Last edited:

Well that tells me that royal commentators had no clue about how Charles was actually feeling. They took their own speculation and presented as fact.

I think the Royal commentators felt hurt for him, rather than the other way around. The thing is the media didn't give William and Harry the chance to fully air out their feelings in marking this anniversary.

It's obvious their father, Charles, gave them the comfort they needed in the aftermath of their mother's death. Did anyone in their right mind actually thought Charles was cold to his own kids after their mother passed?

The big problem is, the media decided that they hadn't heard Charles come up yet in the interviews, so they ran with an exciting story that the boys were getting some revenge on their dad.

Folks on social media ran with the idea that there's a rift between father and sons, without fully allowing William and Harry to say what they wanted to say in all their interviews that was filmed in March.

Royal reporters, correspondents and royal watchers online, went into their own battle corners and decided Diana, William and Harry is ganging up on Charles and Camilla.

I said from the beginning that's not what's happening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom