20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh GOD.. I wish the next weeks were OVER.. and this morbid, maudlin 'raking over of the past' were done with..

NO-ONE [except the Press and Media that hounded the late Princess] benefits from this...

Although I know that Diana was well loved and admired by millions of people and remembered fondly for what she brought to this world and I'm one of them, I do have to agree with you, wyevale, that this anniversary has been done to the point of over saturation.

Even though I do have just about every book that has been written on the life of Diana, the programs that have been airing just don't hold any appeal for me at all as there is really not much that can be said and done to add to story. The only people that really matter, at this time, is the loved ones that Diana left behind. The over saturation of articles, programs and books commemorating 20 years since her death, frankly, is (as was pointed out) using Diana as a cash cow in death as she was used in life.

September is right around the corner though and this too shall pass. :D

With all respect and not meaning any offense, but why is this 20th anniversary being so extensively covered? Will in 5 years the 25th anniversary be covered even more, i would imagine that would be more of an anniversary nr than 20?

Oh GOD.. I wish the next weeks were OVER.. and this morbid, maudlin 'raking over of the past' were done with..

NO-ONE [except the Press and Media that hounded the late Princess] benefits from this...

I know.
I can't wait for it to be over, too...a lot of wallowing in what was admittedly a tragic accident.
Enough already.

But- this too shall pass away.

This is the time for remembrance for the late Diana, Princess of Wales. people should tune out the petty stuff and take the time to remember and reflect on Diana's life and legacy.

No need to rush through this.

With all respect and not meaning any offense, but why is this 20th anniversary being so extensively covered? Will in 5 years the 25th anniversary be covered even more, i would imagine that would be more of an anniversary nr than 20?

I'm not sure about this - I can only think that 20 years is enough time for a new generation of people to be able to hear the story about Diana. It may also be deemed a sufficient amount of time for interviewees to fee they can speak more freely than they might have done ten years ago.

You do know you don't have to watch read or talk about it.

:previous: I'm with those who wish it was over. IMHO both William and Harry planned for this to be a celebration of their mother's life. Her passion for her charities, etc. instead, it's just the raking over of old scandals, finger pointing, anger and, in some really whacked out fans, hatred. Passions run high and tempers are lost.

The vultures have royally fed on what remains and invented enough "extra" to get paid for their books, articles and interviews and in the end, everyone has watched the royal family for the twitch of an eyelash that will be deemed to lend credence for their renewed hate-fest of Charles and Camilla and stirred up the old 'Camilla must be punished and never be Queen' and Charles deemed unfit to be King if they could stir enough support.

Twenty-five years after her separation and twenty years after her death, it's all as raw as if it all happened in the not too distant past. , Diana remains as she always was: when she was good she was very, very good and when she was bad she was horrid. Nothing has changed and there were no new revelations about anything in her life. Can she not be left to rest in peace, a fond memory for those whose life she touched?

The 2007 anniversary was a lot calmer and let's say more respectful to the memory of the late princess ...

The 2007 anniversary was a lot calmer and let's say more respectful to the memory of the late princess ...

I'm wondering if this is the "last hurrah." The coverage is so very much over the top but maybe this is the last of it. Each year there are fewer and fewer people who remember her heyday so it may not generate as many clicks as it does today.

You guys have to tune out the noise. I know it's hard to do so when the noise is in your face a lot though. Pay too much attention to it all and it will mess with your head. The Daily Fail is pretty busy trying to make it seem like her sons relationship with their father is damaged, but these men are fine.

The only time I hear anything about Diana is when I'm on the board here...

LaRae

I've tuned out a long time ago. The only place I hear anything about this anniversary is here at TRF and that's enough for me.

I think its wonderful that Diana's life has been remembered and the people who miss her have had a chance to honor her memory but I do agree that the tabloids like the Fail and others are milking it for all its worth. I just don't pay any attention to it. I don't follow reality stars or reality shows either so I have the option of bypassing those stations.

What we read and what we see are our choices. :D

I'm wondering if this is the "last hurrah." The coverage is so very much over the top but maybe this is the last of it. Each year there are fewer and fewer people who remember her heyday so it may not generate as many clicks as it does today.

I don't think this is the last of it. "The Crown" (which is Netflix's #1 show) plans to do two seasons on Charles and Diana. The creator and writer says Diana will be introduced at the end of season 3 and will be the focus of season 4&5. So if anything, a whole new generation will be introduced to Diana.

I suppose I should be ashamed, but I've actually enjoyed some of the stories in the Daily Mail (I know, I know) about her jewelry. The pictures are pretty good.

I know what you mean Scarebaby.:previous: However considering that the DM has covered most her wardrobe, jewelry, make up and hairstyles in the past weeks the only articles of clothing left must be her...socks?;)

I can see the headline now.. Diana-She had SOCKS APPEAL!

I suppose I should be ashamed, but I've actually enjoyed some of the stories in the Daily Mail (I know, I know) about her jewelry. The pictures are pretty good.

No, don't be ashamed. We all look at the pictures on the Daily Mail. The stories about her wardrobe and jewels were great. It's the ugly agenda many of of us have a problem with. They do have the best pics though.

I don't think this is the last of it. "The Crown" (which is Netflix's #1 show) plans to do two seasons on Charles and Diana. The creator and writer says Diana will be introduced at the end of season 3 and will be the focus of season 4&5. So if anything, a whole new generation will be introduced to Diana.

Plus aren't there plans to do a series of Feud about Charles and Diana. Unfortunately, the coals are just going to get raked over again and again.

I would also place a bet that these programmes are going to be somewhat myopic (hasn't the producer of Feud already admitted to being a fan of Diana). I doubt there will be much balance and its all going to be how evil Charles and Camilla hurt poor, little, innocent Diana while haughty Anne, cruel Philip and the cold hearted Queen stood by and ignored her cries for help. This is entertainment after all, not a pretense at history. Every story needs a villain and a hero/ine. This story was cast 20 years ago.

I think a balance on both sides is necessary. I don't think it would be fair for these series to cast Diana as a scheming and unstable woman who, from the first, plotted to cause the collapse of the House of Windsor and drove her husband into the arms of his mistress, either.

Prince William has revealed for the first time how he felt his mother's presence beside him as he walked behind her coffin on the day of her funeral, at the age of 15.

Opening up about his mother's death in a BBC documentary to mark the 20th anniversary of her passing, he recalled: "It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, that walk. It felt she was almost walking along beside us to get us through it.

His brother Harry, who was 12 when his mother died, remembered being comforted by members of the public whose "hands were wet because of the tears they had just wiped
away".
Read more: Prince William: The hardest thing I've had to do - NZ Herald

I don't know how The Crown can spend so much time on her - she was in the family's life for only 17 years and they are supposed to be doing 10 years each season so it should be no more than 1.5 seasons with her.

Of course the anti-Charles brigade are having a field day - and there are many younger people who are buying into this as well.

As for coverage on here being the only place - in Australia the morning news shows (Channel 7 in particular) have been running new stories most mornings as they are showing every documentary and using excerpts on an almost daily basis.

The polls are showing the impact - up for William and down for Charles.

There won't be a balance as the press don't want any balance - they want to punish Charles because they lost their insider to the BRF with Diana's death and they lost their cash cow as well. They want to be seen as her great defender rather than be remembered for their role in her death (same as her fans).

I don't know how The Crown can spend so much time on her - she was in the family's life for only 17 years and they are supposed to be doing 10 years each season so it should be no more than 1.5 seasons with her.

Of course the anti-Charles brigade are having a field day - and there are many younger people who are buying into this as well.

As for coverage on here being the only place - in Australia the morning news shows (Channel 7 in particular) have been running new stories most mornings as they are showing every documentary and using excerpts on an almost daily basis.

The polls are showing the impact - up for William and down for Charles.

There won't be a balance as the press don't want any balance - they want to punish Charles because they lost their insider to the BRF with Diana's death and they lost their cash cow as well. They want to be seen as her great defender rather than be remembered for their role in her death (same as her fans).

How about because she is the future Kings mother.

Really !! We have had several tv shows every mag and newspaper has had pull out special mag etc

I"m assuming that like me, Pranter doesn't go looking for Diana stuff elsewhere besides reading about it here on TRF. I'm sure there's a plethora of magazines and TV shows that are available should I care to find them. I just don't care to.

Discussing Diana and reading about what is going on Diana wise here is enough for me.

I know what you mean Scarebaby.:previous: However considering that the DM has covered most her wardrobe, jewelry, make up and hairstyles in the past weeks the only articles of clothing left must be her...socks?;)

I can see the headline now.. Diana-She had SOCKS APPEAL!

Well, she did have those nifty polka dot socks she wore with the polka dot skirt to polo in 1986!

I"m assuming that like me, Pranter doesn't go looking for Diana stuff elsewhere besides reading about it here on TRF. I'm sure there's a plethora of magazines and TV shows that are available should I care to find them. I just don't care to.

Discussing Diana and reading about what is going on Diana wise here is enough for me.

I guess you don't glance at the magazines at the grocery checkout then--because Diana is or has been on the cover of most of them.. Plus my Yahoo home page has links to stupid articles.

No, don't be ashamed. We all look at the pictures on the Daily Mail. The stories about her wardrobe and jewels were great. It's the ugly agenda many of of us have a problem with. They do have the best pics though.
While we all vilify the Daily Fail we also just about all seem to agree that they have both the best photographers and thus the best photographs. So yes, I'll put my hand up to check out the photos at any engagements or even that describing Diana's wardrobe.

It is interesting to see how she went from a typical, everyday, young woman with pretty much no taste to being seen as a well-deserved style icon. One thing I love is that each ensemble isn't accompanied by a price list. I never really thought much about couture or bespoke clothes, merely accepting that Royal wore them. Now I see the virtue of it as they were never used as unpaid models.

I think a balance on both sides is necessary. I don't think it would be fair for these series to cast Diana as a scheming and unstable woman who, from the first, plotted to cause the collapse of the House of Windsor and drove her husband into the arms of his mistress, either.

Agree whole-heartedly, but I just don't think that's what we will see. You can see that in the most recent articles and programmes. I agree with those who have said it should be possible to celebrate Diana without vilifying Charles and Camilla but that's not the way the popular press works. As I said above, they want everything and everyone neatly cast - hero or villain.

I think if it wasn't for the excellent photography that is in the Fail, they'd have gone out of business a long time ago. They do surprise me every now and then and actually print something I find worth reading but it doesn't happen too often.

They have magazines at the supermarket checkout? Its been years since I've been in a grocery store checkout lane. Basically because hubby is much, much better at sticking to a list than I am so I'll make up the grocery list and he'll go and get it. Saves a lot of money that way and on a fixed income, its a necessity for us. I'm too much of a "Oooh! that looks so good" and end up spending way more than the budget calls for. :lol:

I do have an extensive library of books on Diana. I find her a very interesting person with both negatives and positives to her like all of us. I really enjoy the Diana discussions here at TRF immensely too.

Even in the NL a couple of the documentaries have been broadcast (i hope that means that from now the dutch royalty show Blauw Bloed will get her name right, a few years ago they kept calling her "Diane" ;) ).

Imo here she gets about the same coverage as for instance Elvis Presley or Janis Joplin, so i'm pretty sure interest in Diana will not cease to be any time soon...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom