20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although I do think its a nice gesture to make a documentary commemorating the 20th anniversary of Diana's tragic death, I really don't see it drawing the interest of a lot of American people. Too much time has passed to draw the attention of people that most likely have long forgotten what happened that night in Paris or even know of Diana and her life outside of the War of the Waleses.

Perhaps four hours is a bit too much even over two consecutive nights. I'm not sure if I'm in the majority of American TV viewers but our weekly prime time viewing here is mostly directed to favorite shows we watch every week. I don't see me watching this documentary. Perhaps if it was on a cable channel that rebroadcasts their shows at different time periods, I would.

I hope I'm wrong on this and its just my opinion.

I agree.

Honestly the only thing that may help is that it is during the summer. Majority of shows are on hiatus. But then again networks have been coming out with summer shows, to keep ratings up.

This is the length of two full length movies. Even if over two nights, I don't see many tuning in. At least if it was movie format, no matter how bad the Diana movie was, it may draw dine interest. But four hours of interviewing people who knew her? Four hours would have been over kill a month after her death. Face it, documentaries aren't big hits. Dis a is fading girl many people, and a whole new generation of tv watchers who don't know who she is.

Honestly would have been better off with an hour prime time special. And making sure in a time lock it has little to no competition.

Honestly would have been better off with an hour prime time special. And making sure in a time lock it has little to no competition.

This is something I really do hope they take into consideration. I noticed last year when they scheduled the prime time presidential election debates, they made sure that it wouldn't be up against shows like The Big Bang Theory and NCIS which are two shows here in the US that spells death for anything on competing channels. CBS also uses these two shows occasionally to draw people to other shows they want folks to watch.

Sadly though, I think no matter where they show it, its going to draw a very minimal viewing audience. I follow the Diana threads and can be termed as a "royal watcher" on here and I'm currently reading "Diana: Portrait of a Troubled Princess" by Sally Bedell-Smith and I'm not that interested in watching it at all.

August is a quiet month tv wise. The new shows have not returned yet. No college or pro football games on tv.

There is more a recent trend for longer style tv documentaries. ABC/ESPN did very well with OJ:Made in America which was multiple hours long and came after the highly rated FX drama series about the OJ.

It's a collaboration with People which is well respected for the British royals coverage in the US. People is doing a limited spring series with GMA's Lara Spencer on ABC focusing on different cover stories called People Icons.

Folks, there's a thing call DVR. I don't think anyone is worried about the doc competing against anything.

Thank you, Sun Lion. This may prove very interesting, and I'll be watching.

I would love to watch this. But the video is blocked for anyone outside of Australia. Thank you for posting the story.

Oh, it's bound to be put up on YouTube within days if not hours!

Channel 7 are broadcasting new - and exclusive - interviews with Rosa Monckton, James Hewitt, Ken Wharfe and Paul Burrell this Sunday night in Australia on their "Sunday Night" program.

There won't be anything 'new' or 'exciting' about this; these people have all spoken about Diana ad nauseum.

:previous:

Considering the commercial I saw for this 'exclusive' was centred around the reporter asking James Hewitt if he was Harry's father, I expect very little from this apart from Channel 7 aiming to bolster their Sunday night viewing numbers.

Well of course they want I up their ratings that's what it's all about. !!!! Don't watch if you think it's rubbish.

:previous:

Oh, trust me, I wouldn't watch this if you paid me.

I'm in agreement with JessRulz on this one.

Just seeing the names James Hewitt and Paul Burrell reeks of a program put together to dredge up things from that era that should remain dead and buried. Monkton and Wharfe may be able to provide some good insights into the life and times of Diana but Hewitt and Burrell are both notoriously known for using Diana as a cash cow.

There really isn't much new to really put out there 20 years after Diana's death. No great secrets that already haven't been "exposed" in some form or the other and frankly, even if there were, I prefer to remember Diana as the woman she was and not through interviews of people that she knew and interacted with.

Not Austrialian(!) So I did google her! She seems credible enough!

Re. the doc., don't know what James had to say (or not say!), hard to know with these uber tight guys! Paul however had plenty to say. Getting married again after divorcing his wife of 32 years and mother of their 2 sons. They look happy out however, so hoping he doesn't make a total spin of it!

The only person in the interview line-up I'd like to listen to is Rosa Monckton. The others are those we've heard from ad nauseum. It would be great to hear from some other people, those we haven't heard from as yet. However, they might be the type who don't give interviews. It would be fascinating to hear from those who knew her from the Lady Diana years, such as school friends.

Last edited:
I watched it last night, and there was nothing I hadn't heard before. If anything it just confirmed my poor opinion of the manipulative and self-obsessed late Diana, Princess of Wales. What did surprise me was the melancholy state of James Hewitt. I felt quite sorry for him. Paul Burrell, however, still loves the publicity of selling... sorry, sharing his stories.

By the way, I don't think Sun Lion assumed that all Australians know who Melissa Doyle is. It was simply a link to an article written by Melissa Doyle. If you don't know who she is, read the article in the link.

Last edited:
"A CAMPAIGN to make the nation a kinder place has been launched to mark the 20th anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.
The drive, set up in memory of the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry’s mother by the Diana Award, was unveiled on National Kindness Day."

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/kindn...iversary-of-death-of-diana-princess-of-wales/

"Princess Diana's First and Lust Summer as a single Woman explored in ABC News Special"

Princess Diana's First and Last Summer as a Single Woman Explored in New ABC Special

:previous: These sound intriguing. It will be quite interesting to hear their views of what happened.

I'm in two minds really about Diana's sons talking about their private shock and grief at the time of their mother's death for public consumption. Nevertheless, and this is hypocritical I know, I'll be viewing these documentaries. I'm sure there will be many more interesting aspects to see.

I am not sure they'll say anything very - um not sure h ow to put it, I suppose interesting? I don't want to hear their most private thogths, but there are degrees of privacy and if they want to talk about Diana, about her work and her personality and how they loved her that's fine. I probably wont watch thtough...

Very interesting. They have asked that these documentaries are made so they must want to say a few things. Wonder if anyone is feeling a bit nervous

"Prince William and Prince Harry will present a new award, on behalf of the Diana Award, which honours the legacy of their mother.
The ceremony on April 18 will be held at St James's Palace, where twenty exceptional young people from across the world will be recognised for their qualities of kindness, compassion and service.
The Diana Award was set up in memory of Diana, Princess of Wales, and her belief that young people have the power to change the world."

Prince William and Prince Harry to present award in memory of Princess Diana | London Evening Standard

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/kindn...iversary-of-death-of-diana-princess-of-wales/

Back
Top Bottom