20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If William and Harry are willing to discuss that time, I for one will be tuning in. I don't typically engage in morbid curiosity, but there was something about William and especially Harry in the immediate aftermath of Diana's death that had me riveted (and heartbroken).

Last edited:
I think those of us that were around and witnessed those horrible days in 1997 had a huge boost of our empathic skills as we watched William and Harry during those times. Its hard to imagine that there were many among us whose heart didn't just want to reach out and comfort those boys.

Its these kind of things that William and Harry are doing that are the true legacy of Diana, Princess of Wales and what she meant to them and the world around her. Somehow statues and fountains and memorial plaques just can't convey that message.

I'm much more interested in what William has to say. Didn't Harry say he doesn't remember much about his mother?

My immediate impression is that it wasn't that Harry didn't remember his mother but had a very hard time talking about her. I could be wrong though.

That article kind of contradicts itself. Harry says he doesn't have many memories of his mother but he remembers riding Space Mountain 14 times and the policeman vomiting afterwards. He was 12 when she died. He wasn't 5 or 6. My grandmother died when I was seven but I remember her doing various things with me.

Not wanting to discuss your relationship with your mom with millions of people or how her death affected you is a different thing from not having memories.

Last edited:
^^^ The article doesn't contradict itself. Harry himself says he doesn't have many memories but no doubt certain things stand out in his mind. If anything Harry contradicts himself.

You'd have to ask Harry what he means by his statement.

^^^ The article doesn't contradict itself. Harry himself says he doesn't have many memories but no doubt certain things stand out in his mind. If anything Harry contradicts himself.

You'd have to ask Harry what he means by his statement.

I agree.

I think it makes sense. Harry was younger than William, and both were sent to boarding school when they were 8. By the time he was sent to Ludgrove his parents were separated, so any time away from school was split in half between parents. He probably has some vivid memories, but they aren't plentiful.

What? how could he not have many memories? Diana spent as much time with him as she possibly could and he is only 2 years younger than William.. How could he not have almost as amny as his brother does?

This is just me guessing so bear with me as it is what seems most probable to me.

Harry was 12 when he tragically lost his mother overnight. This is very unstable time emotionally for any boy approaching his teenage years let alone to have to endure such a traumatic shock and loss. Its very possible that not only did Harry not talk about his mother back then but also suppressed his memories of her as they brought up too many unwanted emotions he just couldn't deal with. Over time, those memories were blocked.

I think this is perhaps why Harry, when talking about mental health has stated openly that he wished he had talked about his mother more and kept those memories alive. Its not an easy thing to admit but that's Harry reaching out with personal experience so that perhaps others do not go through the same thing that he did with grief.

Just a wild guess on my part. The human mind is something that we still have no idea on just exactly how it works and I don't know Harry.

I lost my mother at nearly twelve, probably one of the reasons why I have a soft spot for Harry is that mutual huge loss at a very important age. My mother didn't die suddenly though, but after a two year battle with cancer, so that is an important difference.

Memory is a funny old thing. I've known people who are fortunate and have very clear memories from toddlerhood, or claim to have. Others, like me, have flashes of incidents or everyday things from their very early years and more solid but still intermittent ones from about eight or nine or so.

I suspect Harry is in the latter category. He has said that he doesn't have that many memories of his mother, but in his speeches he has spoken of her sense of fun and her compassion so there are probably occasions tucked away in the memory in connection with that. In a conversation with a lady at an AIDS charity she spoke of the warm and cosy feeling when she sat on Diana's knee and Harry said he remembered that too. Things like that remain.

We have to remember too that Harry wasn't just twelve. He was due to turn thirteen that September and was no doubt looking forward to a visit from his mother at school or a phone call. Instead, he'd been through the trauma of Diana's death and funeral when his aunt Sarah turned up at his school with his mother's birthday present.

At almost thirteen you do have clearer memories than at nearly eleven or nearly twelve, but as Osipi has pointed out for several years the two boys had spent most of their time at boarding school and their holidays had for some years been divided between their parents. So William was hardly likely to be as directly in the 'thick of it' in his mother's life as he had been when he was younger and at KP a lot of the time. We will have to wait and see what the documentary brings forth. There may be some surprises. I'll be watching with interest.

Last edited:
I think it's lovely that Diana's two sons are taking part in these awards, which, if nothing else, aim to spread some kindness and empathy for others around. Long may they continue!

Apart from the fact both young men have led very busy lives with school then Army etc. Now must feel like a comfortable time for them to sit in front of cameras and try to project how they felt. Maturity is the stage they are at now and convenience of timing. What I mean is finding time in their busy schedules.
I am certain Harry treasures a great many wonderful private memories of his mum that he doesn't want to share with anyone else.

Of course he msut have memories that he does not want to share, and I wouldn't want to hear of them. BUt I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have that many. he was nearly 13 when she died..

OK. Don't listen to whatever other people say that point to reasons that its very possible why Harry, himself, says that he has very few memories of his mother. His words obviously don't mean anything either when it comes to forming an opinion.

To keep insisting that what you think is the credible truth actually just degrades the value of your opinions. Its how things work. I lean towards believing what Harry, himself, has stated.

wow 20 years? I still remember the 10 year tributes

Oh Dman, Thankyou for posting this. What an absolutely beautiful garden in Diana's honour, an oasis of peace and calm and loveliness! All those white flowers will attract bees as well. Her sons will take a walk around sometimes I'm sure. Maybe their mother is looking down and admiring it too!

Oh Dman, Thankyou for posting this. What an absolutely beautiful garden in Diana's honour, an oasis of peace and calm and loveliness! All those white flowers will attract bees as well. Her sons will take a walk around sometimes I'm sure. Maybe their mother is looking down and admiring it too!

Absolutely Curryong just beautiful

You're welcome. I just want to sleep in that garden. I find very breathtakingly stunning. It's all for her and I know she's loving it from up above.

Its perfectly beautiful. In the midst of the London area with all its hustle and bustle and rushing to get where one's going, this garden seems to make time stand still and whisper "smell the roses" errr... tulips.

What goes through my imagination is Charlotte walking up to Kate and saying something along the lines of "Can we go smell Grandma's flowers today?" The forget-me-nots will really be serving to keep Grandma in the hearts and minds of those that knew and loved her and even those that never got the chance to.

I love things like this as its a reality that even though Diana is gone, she's still alive in the hearts and minds of those that love her.

Last edited:
Maybe it is the photo, but I didn't like it. It seemed too formal and too much white. I might go and have a look at it over the weekend as perhaps it looks better "up close."

Oh lucky you being able to go and actually see it for yourself. :D

Let us know what your impressions are.

I live near KP, but it is not relaly that glamourous a place. I thought the garden in the picture looked over formal, with everything in rigid lines.

I think it fits nicely in with the palace. The layout was already there and was known as the Sunken Gardens. Its the planting of the different flowers that were done in Diana's memory.

I thought it looked like that garden.. I know it, and It was rather rigid IMO and dreary. And somehow the heavy preponderance of white flowers doesn't seem right when it is doen so rigidily. If they were more loosely arranged, I think it would be better.
If the weather picks up this weekend I might go and see it.

White flowers are an important element for something called 'The White Garden'

Last edited:
Yes I think that in a looser format it might have been prettier..

Back
Top Bottom