The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,019
Yes, I agree. That could very much be the case. And it could well have been twenty years of such conflicting emotions.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #642  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:30 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,151
"Loath" is a very strong word to speculate about...imo...
__________________

__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
IMO it is entirely possible that the princes experienced and still experience conflicting emotions about the break up of their parents' marriage and later on their mother's death thus the contradictory comments.

Charles is their father and they love him. At the same time they may loathe him for causing their mother so much pain. Families are complicated that way.
If we're going down that route its also possible that although they love their mother they loathe her for how she behaved during the War of the Waleses. She might've been an English rose but she was no shrinking violet.
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
If we're going down that route its also possible that although they love their mother they loathe her for how she behaved during the War of the Waleses. She might've been an English rose but she was no shrinking violet.
No, they didn't loathe their mother for her behavior during the break up. Listen and read all the interviews William and Harry has done this year.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:58 AM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I don't think this is the last of it. "The Crown" (which is Netflix's #1 show) plans to do two seasons on Charles and Diana. The creator and writer says Diana will be introduced at the end of season 3 and will be the focus of season 4&5. So if anything, a whole new generation will be introduced to Diana.
I love The Crown. I will be very interested to see how they handle the Charles and Diana story. I have heard that the Queen and Prince Philip watch it--not sure if that is true.
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 AM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Plus aren't there plans to do a series of Feud about Charles and Diana. Unfortunately, the coals are just going to get raked over again and again.

I would also place a bet that these programmes are going to be somewhat myopic (hasn't the producer of Feud already admitted to being a fan of Diana). I doubt there will be much balance and its all going to be how evil Charles and Camilla hurt poor, little, innocent Diana while haughty Anne, cruel Philip and the cold hearted Queen stood by and ignored her cries for help. This is entertainment after all, not a pretense at history. Every story needs a villain and a hero/ine. This story was cast 20 years ago.
I think there are plans to do that. That series concentrated on Bette Davis and Joan Crawford last season, but I can't remember the name of it.
Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
No, they didn't loathe their mother for her behavior during the break up. Listen and read all the interviews William and Harry has done this year.
Of course they didn't loathe her. Neither do they loathe their father. It's called sarcasm...
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 AM
BMC's Avatar
BMC BMC is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
"Loath" is a very strong word to speculate about...imo...
"Hate" isn't much better.
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 08-24-2017, 11:23 AM
BMC's Avatar
BMC BMC is offline
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
If we're going down that route its also possible that although they love their mother they loathe her for how she behaved during the War of the Waleses. She might've been an English rose but she was no shrinking violet.
Perhaps they do but we were discussing their relationship with their father.

Like I said families are complicated.
Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 08-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 2,811
Yes, families are complicated! And inasmuch as none of us on this board are members of the BRF, it's possibly, even likely, that our versions of the 'facts' are wildly inaccurate.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #651  
Old 08-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,151
I just hope there isn't any hate or loathing or anything of the sort between any the people involved (alive or dead) :(

not a fact, not even my opinion, just my sincere wish
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:02 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333
No member of the public has seen the BBC programme yet. All this commentary is based on what the press have seen in preview, so its their interpretation.
It doesnt txm until Sunday.

Sometimes this gets lost. Take the Newsweek article. Harry did not explicitly say he and his brother were forced to walk. It was implied in the article and made 'fact' by UK media (dont know about elsewhere).

What the last few weeks has reinforced for me is that you can never take royal news at face value.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I love The Crown. I will be very interested to see how they handle the Charles and Diana story. I have heard that the Queen and Prince Philip watch it--not sure if that is true.
For such a costly production there were far too many factual errors, there was too much hineininterpretieren* and there was even pure fantasy woven into the story (for an example Sir Winston Churchill and his secretary, Venetia Scott, but she was 100% a fabrication to spice things up).

One needs to be a fly on the wall too see if A - the Queen and the Duke have a suscription to Netflix (if these Ninety-somethingers have any desire to have Netflix anyway) and B - if they indeed were watching The Crown and not Orange Is The New Black. With other words: pure guesses.

(* Hineininterpretieren is a wonderful German word which is difficult to translate: maybe it translates best as: re-interpretating things with knowledge no one could have known back then. The Crown was a very lenghty exercise in that).

Having heard various comments by the two princes, I feel they are re-interpretating things as well, not as the boys they were but with knowledge they did not know 20 years ago and with the eyes of much older persons looking back on what happened during that rollercoaster time of emotions. They seem to differ in bringing up details every time they open their mouth about it.
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
I didn't read any of the earlier interviews as saying they weren't offered any support. They didn't clearly say "Dad tried to help us," but they also didn't say he ignored it, either. What they did say was that they weren't willing to open themselves up emotionally to deal with the complicated feelings.

Just because a person doesn't grab the metaphorical rope that could pull him out of a morass doesn't mean there was no rope offered. They could have sat in session after session with counselors refusing to participate. If so, they wouldn't be the first children to do so. I think it is telling that their efforts around mental health aren't focused on "what can be offered" as much as they are about reassuring people that it's ok to accept what assistance is available and to reiterate that talking can be helpful even when you think it won't be.

The only clear criticism either made of the choices their father or grandparents made was when Harry said that a child shouldn't be made to walk behind his mother's coffin in such a big, public way. But I wouldn't be surprised if, in hindsight, the family as a whole has decided that isn't a choice they'd make again.

It's a hard line to walk, to take a moment to insert their perspective into the narrative about their family's life, trying to restrict their comments so that they are only about themselves and the one family member who can't be hurt one way or another anymore. I do think they've made some missteps, but for the most part I don't think they have much to regret.

I can sort of see why some of you think they should just stay silent...but that's not foolproof, either, and there's a little bit of laziness to that approach. I also don't think it's a realistic option in this day and age.
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 08-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,029
A reminder that discussion of the Netflix production The Crown can be found in the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2012028 thread.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 08-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,979
Quote:
Just because a person doesn't grab the metaphorical rope that could pull him out of a morass doesn't mean there was no rope offered. They could have sat in session after session with counselors refusing to participate. If so, they wouldn't be the first children to do so. I think it is telling that their efforts around mental health aren't focused on "what can be offered" as much as they are about reassuring people that it's ok to accept what assistance is available and to reiterate that talking can be helpful even when you think it won't be.
Good post loonytick!

It is very likely that neither was ready to open up and accept the help that would have been offered to them in the weeks/months after her death. Harry has shared recently that it was only in the last couple of years that he was prepared to deal with Diana's loss and this was only because his brother was concerned about his behavior.
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Well. YES.. but nothing surprises "Never apologise and [especially] NEVER EXPLAIN" would certainly have been my advice to those most closely involved in this tragedy...

Anything and everything 'made public' has been and will be distorted and re-interpreted to suit different narratives, so silence will always be the wisest option...
You can't blame them for trying. Twenty years of dirty laundry and the continual public vilification of their father is a terrible burden to be carried forever for them, their father and Camilla.

Unfortunately, now the media will just twist everything remotely nice they said and heap even more on Charles and Camilla because saying nice things about their father is obviously a sign of brainwashing, coercion, or some other unsavoury skulduggery.

Well, it was worth a crack boys.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 08-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
I've heard that William was displeased with his mother during the summer of 1997. He wasn't impressed with Dodi and he did not appreciate his mother's rather deliberate public displays in a bathing suit, kissing and hugging Dodi in full view of the paparazzi, etc. William had not held back in making his views clear to his mother in several heated phone calls in the weeks before her death. Of course, his reaction was completely normal for a guy his age and most kids would have felt the same way. Still, I think these exchanges with his mother (if true) would make his memory and feeling of the events around her death as especially painful.
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastalucie View Post
I've heard that William was displeased with his mother during the summer of 1997. He wasn't impressed with Dodi and he did not appreciate his mother's rather deliberate public displays in a bathing suit, kissing and hugging Dodi in full view of the paparazzi, etc. William had not held back in making his views clear to his mother in several heated phone calls in the weeks before her death. Of course, his reaction was completely normal for a guy his age and most kids would have felt the same way. Still, I think these exchanges with his mother (if true) would make his memory and feeling of the events around her death as especially painful.


Where have you got this information? Who did you hear it from ? Etc etc
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 08-24-2017, 07:05 PM
hel hel is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kitchener, Canada
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I didn't read any of the earlier interviews as saying they weren't offered any support. They didn't clearly say "Dad tried to help us," but they also didn't say he ignored it, either. What they did say was that they weren't willing to open themselves up emotionally to deal with the complicated feelings.

Just because a person doesn't grab the metaphorical rope that could pull him out of a morass doesn't mean there was no rope offered. They could have sat in session after session with counselors refusing to participate. If so, they wouldn't be the first children to do so. I think it is telling that their efforts around mental health aren't focused on "what can be offered" as much as they are about reassuring people that it's ok to accept what assistance is available and to reiterate that talking can be helpful even when you think it won't be.

The only clear criticism either made of the choices their father or grandparents made was when Harry said that a child shouldn't be made to walk behind his mother's coffin in such a big, public way. But I wouldn't be surprised if, in hindsight, the family as a whole has decided that isn't a choice they'd make again.

It's a hard line to walk, to take a moment to insert their perspective into the narrative about their family's life, trying to restrict their comments so that they are only about themselves and the one family member who can't be hurt one way or another anymore. I do think they've made some missteps, but for the most part I don't think they have much to regret.

I can sort of see why some of you think they should just stay silent...but that's not foolproof, either, and there's a little bit of laziness to that approach. I also don't think it's a realistic option in this day and age.
To be honest, I don't exactly read that as a criticism of his family; I think the larger context of all the interviews, there's an understanding that the boys' walk was in response to public expectations that they show their mourning. It's entirely possible that those expectations, as much or more than their family, is what Harry is referring to when he says that a child wouldn't be expected to do that today.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diana: The Most Beautiful or Famous Woman of the 20th Century? Daffodil Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 335 01-29-2018 01:22 AM
20th Wedding Anniversary of King Abdullah and Queen Rania - June 10, 2013 salma King Abdullah and Queen Rania and Family 23 06-05-2013 10:51 PM
20th Anniversary of the UN Child Convention in Stockholm: November 19-20, 2009 Ccile Royal House of Sweden 64 07-25-2010 03:49 PM
New books marking the tenth anniversary of Diana's death Hendrik-Jan77 Royal Library 82 10-03-2007 11:12 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen carolin china chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs doll dresses duke of sussex family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf history house of windsor imperial household intro italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery kids movie king edward vii line of succession list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal jewels prince constantijn prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen maxima queen victoria random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding serbian royal family spain sussex swedish queen taiwan tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wedding gown welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×