The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I do think William and Harry are being a little unfair to Charles. I have no issue with them talking about their mother as anyone should be able to talk about a parents they have lost if they want to (though to me it is a little "unroyal" to do so). However, they could have, in all these interviews of late, said one good word about Charles. Even, "well we were lucky to have our loving father still there for us" would have made it look like they weren't having a go at Charles.
They're not having a go at Charles. People really need to stop saying that. They're just focusing on their mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Charles' people ( Penny Juror for example) are in a constant state of spin regarding the War of the Wales. 'Camilla the saviour of the Monarchy' according to Jurors lastest book.

This is about Diana, and the boys being able to remember her on the 20th anniversary of her death. It has nothing to do with Charles.

The boys have spent the last 20 years holding their tongues while everyone throws Diana under the bus.

After this documentary airs we will be back to 'Operation Camilla Parker-Bowles'

I don't begrudge the boys having this opportunity to speak up for their mother's legacy.
Indeed. For 20 years William and Harry had to sit and watch their mother's memory being thrown under a bus, in the ocean, in space and everywhere else. A great deal have gotten used to Diana being the punching bag for so long.

Now William and Harry are letting us all know who their mother really was in the most intimate way. I'll be watching tonight.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
This is about them paying tribute and celebrating the life of their mother who's no long with them. None of this is about rejecting Charles or trying to hurt him.

Now, I do think the media is picking up on an impression that there's some tension between the Charles and Cambridge household because the family don't put on a unifying front within the monarchy. We really don't see Charles, Camilla and the Cambridge family together often. Major family get togethers yes, but on regular days no.

One way to fix all of this is for the family to do some official engagements together from time to time. A nice annual family tour around the U.K. Family photo calls for the summer of winter,would be great too.

Everyone has been waiting for Charles to become a grandfather, but we really don't see him as a grandfather. It's a problem and it causes the mainstream media to invent stories about Charles being totally shut out. It's just going to become a backlash on the Cambridge's.

You can't really have C&C, W&K and H all in the same place touring the U.K. It would be a big security risk and the press will still ignore C&C for the younger royals. Charles can control his schedule- how about not scheduling events on his grandkids birthdays for a start.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

There have been reports for four years now that Charles is locked out of seeing his grandchildren and again that will be the loss of George and Charlotte. There are photos of Carole playing with them but never Charles who is only ever seen with them at Trooping the Colour and their Christenings. Even when they are away the children are with Carole and never with Charles.

Somehow, I don't picture Charles taking the kids to the petting zoo or the park which are some of the paparazzi pictures we got of Carole and George, and it has been quite awhile since there have been any of those. I don't recall any with Charlotte. Also, I don't know that he'd want to do stuff like that, more likely he'll take them places when they are older.

Nor do I see him babysitting. I think he has a lot of stuff going on in his life that is planned out too far in advance for William and Catherine to say hey, can you babysit for a few days next month.

I don't believe he never sees them, maybe not as often as any of them would like, but a lot of that is his schedule.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
You can't really have C&C, W&K and H all in the same place touring the U.K. It would be a big security risk and the press will still ignore C&C for the younger royals. Charles can control his schedule- how about not scheduling events on his grandkids birthdays for a start.
I think a family tour of Wales, Cornwall, or even Cambridge can be arranged. With great security in place and the media wouldn't love the family being together.

There is a PR problem with this family being so distant with each other. They have no photo calls, we don't see them enjoying some time as a family. It's beyond easy for the press to create the narrative that there's major tension between William and Charles and that Charles is shut out from seeing his grandkids.

Yes, Charles could arrange for his schedule to be at the kids parties. He's probably made it to the most recent ones. The family do get together privately, but they need to be seen getting together publicly too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think a family tour of Wales, Cornwall, or even Cambridge can be arranged. With great security in place and the media wouldn't love the family being together.

There is a PR problem with this family being so distant with each other. They have no photo calls, we don't see them enjoying some time as a family. It's beyond easy for the press to create the narrative that there's major tension between William and Charles and that Charles is shut out from seeing his grandkids.

Yes, Charles could arrange for his schedule to be at the kids parties. He's probably made it to the most recent ones. The family do get together privately, but they need to be seen getting together publicly too.
They could stand to look to how the Swedes do family things...and a couple other European houses.

LaRae
Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Somehow, I don't picture Charles taking the kids to the petting zoo or the park which are some of the paparazzi pictures we got of Carole and George, and it has been quite awhile since there have been any of those. I don't recall any with Charlotte. Also, I don't know that he'd want to do stuff like that, more likely he'll take them places when they are older.

Nor do I see him babysitting. I think he has a lot of stuff going on in his life that is planned out too far in advance for William and Catherine to say hey, can you babysit for a few days next month.

I don't believe he never sees them, maybe not as often as any of them would like, but a lot of that is his schedule.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
This is about Diana, and the boys being able to remember her on the 20th anniversary of her death. It has nothing to do with Charles.

I don't begrudge the boys having the opportunity to speak up for their mother's legacy.
This is it in a nutshell, right now it is about Diana and good memories of her on this anniversary, it has nothing to do with Charles or their relationship with him.

I certainly do not think that just by saying good things about their mother it means William and Harry are disrespecting their father.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles can't win as usual, it's as simple as that.
- If he doesn't appear in this program, of course he's estranged from his own sons, he was a bad father and the usual brigade will scream "told you so !".
-If he's mentioned in this program, Charles is of course a hypocrite, a selfish "it's all about me" man and the boys are manipulated.

Anyway, as far i can see, the anger is still there...
Old 07-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Royal Highness

How does your perception or any of our perceptions about the royals affect our own personal lives though? The royals are the ones who know the personal details and relationships of their own lives, not us.

What is this 'anger' you happen to be talking about though??? Maybe you are the one harboring anger and frustration. It looks to me as if Prince William and Prince Harry received love from their parents and have forgiven both parents for their character flaws and mistakes. Princes William and Harry are clearly happy to see their father happy. And I believe the same sentiment is felt by Prince Charles toward his sons.

You must not have taken a look at the reasonable and balanced video report I linked earlier that discusses how it was arranged for young William and Harry to meet individually with Camilla for tea, in order to have a chance to become comfortable together, prior to the lead-up to Camilla and Charles getting married. Harry and William have had nothing but kind things to say publicly about Camilla.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

While I do think that Charles could see more of his grandchildren if he wants to, it's been my experience that grandfathers are seldom as eager as grandmothers.

My own dear father said he looked forward to spending time with them "when they learn to talk well." And my father-in-law said he could hardly wait for "Ethelred" to arrive for a visit, but after a short time, he could hardly wait for him to leave!

It's unlikely that anyone is actively withholding the kids from Granpa Charles.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I actually do believe that William and Harry are both very close with their father. They understand him. They want him to be happy. The amount the children and grandchildren spend with a parent isn't a measure of the love they have for each other. Charles, by nature, is a workaholic with a very well packed appointment book. It will stay that way probably until he dies. He's not a retired grandpa with time on his hands and most likely when Charles does have "down" time to spend with his family, its not something the public is informed on.

Like most children of a divorce, they've separated their parents in their own minds. Time with Diana wasn't taken up with things about Charles and vice versa. For this anniversary, they are focusing on their mother. The omission of Charles is something that is to be expected. Its not a slight toward Charles at all but with talking about their mother, discussing their father is irrelevant.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

As usual Osipi, you 'hit the nail on the head' and your [evident] wisdom is enviable.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

I think it's unfortunate that even after all these years William and Harry are left to deal with the mess their parents created with the horrible way they handled the separation and divorce.

The Wales's divorce was obviously acrimonious but it didn't need to be publicly so. By engaging in the mother of all public relations battles Charles and Diana set things up so that, decades later, their sons can't say even the most innocuous thing about one parent without it being taken by some as a subtle slur on the other.

I don't think William and Harry have any interest in continuing the games their parents played way back when. For them, there is no competition. They love their mother and want to honour her memory. They love their father and I'm sure when HE dies they'll find ways to honour his memory, too.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Please note that several posts relating to the name of the British Royal House have been moved to the Windsor/Mountbatten-Windsor: Name of Royal House and Surname - The Royal Forums thread. Other posts have been edited accordingly.

Since this thread is not about the relationship between members of the Royal Family, posts concerning William and Harry's relationship with the Prince of Wales should be made in the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ily-15549.html thread.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Audio Interview with The Earl Spencer on Remembering Diana:
BBC Radio 4 - Best of Today, Earl Spencer remembers his sister Princess Diana

Great and very insightful interview from Lord Spencer. He goes into nice detail about his eulogy at Diana's funeral among other things.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-26-2017, 05:29 AM
Majesty

It is indeed interesting and insightful, Dman. Thanks for posting it. It was good that various pointers from the Earl's controversial eulogy at the Abbey was discussed. He was, he said, speaking for a sister who no longer had a voice.

Also surprising in this podcast was the debate Charles Spencer said he had with the grey men at BP, in which, during which he stated that he was very much against the boys following the coffin and that his sister would never have wanted that. He was told that it had 'been decided', he again reiterated that they shouldn't, and then basically was lied to and told that they wanted to. As he says in that podcast that wasn't the truth. So whose decision was it to tell them to do it and on whose behalf was the Earl lied to? Truth will out. Eventually.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40717424
Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Heir Apparent

So the loathsome Brother [who treated his sister badly during the last period of her life, when she REALLY had need of him], and who deserted the young Princes [his 'blood family'] to bugger off to the Sun in South Africa, has taken this opportunity to 'massage' his image, and denigrate BP..
NOTHING surprises from such a wretch...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't stand Charles Spencer but I don't see how he treated her badly just because he wasn't thrilled with her coming back to her old home. I might not be remembering this correctly but didn't he not want her there because of the press drama? Also I don't think not living in England constitutes him deserting William and Harry we don't know what kind of relationship he has with any of his nieces or nephews .
Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Majesty

My understanding is that the Earl decided that the house that Diana was first offered was too accessible publicly, and so he offered another one to her. She didn't accept the second offer.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Majesty

I'm taking what the Earl has said about being "lied" to re William and Harry walking behind their mother's coffin with far more than a pinch of salt.

He was with them prior to the walk, he walked beside them and says that he's only just found out that they didn't want to do it.

So much for Diana's "blood family" looking after William and Harry!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,